May check in and chat - May all your weights go up

Options

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    tl;dr I'm a spaz and I don't know how much to eat. Has anyone dealt with a lifestyle change like this & have any advice on going about it systematically?

It sounds like you need to recalculate based on your current activity. I have found that lifting does make me hungry and I make sure I hit my protein and fat macros and then push the rest to carbs and anything else. I'm currently eating between 1800-1900 and have a desk job. The majority of my activity is at the gym so I don't have a super high burn over all burn. I'm 5'2" and so I understand your hesitance to push the calories up, but it sounds like your body needs it. I would say bump up 100 cal a week until you find yourself not feeling hungry and wanting to cheat the logging if that is important to you. If you really want some more concrete advice about intake, I would suggest checking into the Eat, Train, Progress group.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    First time check in for me:
    Pendlay Rows: 35 lbs* (5x5)
    Squat: 60 lbs (5x5)
    Benchpress: 45 lbs (5x5)*

I didn't have a lot of time in the gym because I was sandwiching my lifts at our corporate gym because I got a late start and then had a video conference afterwards, so I am a little bummed. I am also bummed about the fact that the gym has 3 Smith machines and 1 Max Rack and NO Power Racks. I did my bench presses on the Smith machine (counted the bar as 15 lbs only due to the counterpulleys).

Also, this morning I did a HIIT interval training that had some high repetition clean and press action with dumbbells. I decided that I could go up in weight and used 2 10 lbs.
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What are you using to figure out your caloric needs? Being on your feet at your job makes a big change in what you need day to day. Lifting definitely makes you hungrier. It won't hurt to add 100 cals a day for a week or two and see if that helps. . .

I originally calculated based in http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/. According to that, my TDEE at lightly active is 1874, moderately active is 2113. MFP suggested 1520 to lose .5/week, which was about the same as the 15% deficit on fat2fit, so I just set it at that and ate exercise calories back if necessary. My weight has not dropped much, but I have been seeing a feeling a difference in my clothes.
    It sounds like you need to recalculate based on your current activity. I have found that lifting does make me hungry and I make sure I hit my protein and fat macros and then push the rest to carbs and anything else. I'm currently eating between 1800-1900 and have a desk job. The majority of my activity is at the gym so I don't have a super high burn over all burn. I'm 5'2" and so I understand your hesitance to push the calories up, but it sounds like your body needs it. I would say bump up 100 cal a week until you find yourself not feeling hungry and wanting to cheat the logging if that is important to you. If you really want some more concrete advice about intake, I would suggest checking into the Eat, Train, Progress group.

I don't want to cheat the logging while I have so many other variables changing, otherwise I don't mind being a little flexible about it because by now I know the macros of my pantry staples pretty well. I want to make sure I have a handle on energy in/energy out. I think I will bump up to 1650 this week, then 1750 next week if I still want to devour everything in sight, and maybe even 1850 on lifting days. I lurk around the Eat, Train, Progress group. Love it! I will probably ask for advice in a month or so if I find myself stalling.

Thanks for the advice!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    First time check in for me:
    Pendlay Rows: 35 lbs* (5x5)
    Squat: 60 lbs (5x5)
    Benchpress: 45 lbs (5x5)*

I didn't have a lot of time in the gym because I was sandwiching my lifts at our corporate gym because I got a late start and then had a video conference afterwards, so I am a little bummed. I am also bummed about the fact that the gym has 3 Smith machines and 1 Max Rack and NO Power Racks. I did my bench presses on the Smith machine (counted the bar as 15 lbs only due to the counterpulleys).

Also, this morning I did a HIIT interval training that had some high repetition clean and press action with dumbbells. I decided that I could go up in weight and used 2 10 lbs.

Welcome, and congrats on getting started! If that's all the equipment you have, then that's what you use. Beats not lifting. :smile:
    I originally calculated based in http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/. According to that, my TDEE at lightly active is 1874, moderately active is 2113. MFP suggested 1520 to lose .5/week, which was about the same as the 15% deficit on fat2fit, so I just set it at that and ate exercise calories back if necessary. My weight has not dropped much, but I have been seeing a feeling a difference in my clothes.

Then I'd stick with what you're doing, because as long as you're going below TDEE, you should be steadily losing fat/weight over time. You could also try eating 200 cals more on lifting days and see where that gets you, if those are the days you're the hungriest. Look at TDEE as kind of an upper limit, and BMR as kind of a lower limit, and aim for someplace between the two, and over time the fat/weight should come off. If you're hungry all the time, and it's actual hunger and not the boredom munchies or whatever, then you're obviously not eating enough to properly sustain your activity level.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    tl;dr I'm a spaz and I don't know how much to eat. Has anyone dealt with a lifestyle change like this & have any advice on going about it systematically?

This ^^^^^ :smile:
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hello,,

I am just starting this program. Today is actually my third day (workout a). I had a bit of a rough time with the barbell row the first go round so I am hoping to improve it today. I apparently did it kinda wrong in that I put a 10 lb plate on each side but didn't raise it up from the floor so lifting it felt awkward.

I am hoping that this program will help me tone up my tummy ball sack!!! Here's to hoping. I don't really have much to offer to the group since I am just starting, but I am looking forward to gaining tips, tricks and advice from this group..
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Hello,,

I am just starting this program. Today is actually my third day (workout a). I had a bit of a rough time with the barbell row the first go round so I am hoping to improve it today. I apparently did it kinda wrong in that I put a 10 lb plate on each side but didn't raise it up from the floor so lifting it felt awkward.

I am hoping that this program will help me tone up my tummy ball sack!!! Here's to hoping. I don't really have much to offer to the group since I am just starting, but I am looking forward to gaining tips, tricks and advice from this group..

Welcome to the group! I posted a Glenn Pendlay instructional video in a thread some time ago....if you do a search in the group you should be able to find it :)
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hello,,

Welcome to the group! I posted a Glenn Pendlay instructional video in a thread some time ago....if you do a search in the group you should be able to find it :)

Ok thanks I will definitely look for it!!! I just feel so very awkward with that move. And thank you for the welcoming :)
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies..! My coach put some 5x5 work in my 2 leg days, I'm trying to break a squat plateau.. Ever since I've hit 200lbs it's been a struggle. I can't get past 215 now. I was working in the 6-8 range for like 6 months now.. Maybe it's a mental thing too, sometimes the thought of having 215 pounds on my back freaks me out. :ohwell: Might have to try the same for OHP.. Why is it so hard? Arghh :explode:
  • DaniH826
    Options
    So instead of doing yoga pre-lifting today, I decided to start C25K.

I'm going to need a PRE C25K app because jogging for 60 seconds at a time was positively killing me. Good grief. I never thought it was possible to hate the words "start running" so much. :huh:

But, I'm going to incorporate running for at least a little while because that spare tire around my waistline isn't going to shrink itself, and I'm done counting calories because I got way too OCD about it. And I'm still too out of shape to do complexes on my off-lifting days so there you go.

Anyone know of such an app? I need to start off with like 30 second jogging cycles I think. 60 isn't going to be sustainable for a few weeks yet.
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    @Dani I just decided to try C25K too! Tonight is my first session. Check back tomorrow to see whether I throw in the towel or not. :laugh:

I'm so with you----I'm tired of counting calories, but I feel like I need a little more than just SL. I also kind of feel like I SHOULD be in good enough cardio shape to run a 5k if I needed to. So I found a 5k that is going to be run in my neighborhood 11 weeks from now and signed up.

I don't know of other apps, but maybe you could just wear a cheap sportswatch with a timer, and kept track of time that way. Maybe run for 30s, then walk for a minute, and alternate. I don't think there is anything magical about the 60/90 ratio----the idea is to ease your body into it. Good luck! We can be running buddies. :smile:
  • DaniH826
    Options
    @Dani I just decided to try C25K too! Tonight is my first session. Check back tomorrow to see whether I throw in the towel or not. :laugh:

I'm so with you----I'm tired of counting calories, but I feel like I need a little more than just SL. I also kind of feel like I SHOULD be in good enough cardio shape to run a 5k if I needed to. So I found a 5k that is going to be run in my neighborhood 11 weeks from now and signed up.

I don't know of other apps, but maybe you could just wear a cheap sportswatch with a timer, and kept track of time that way. Maybe run for 30s, then walk for a minute, and alternate. I don't think there is anything magical about the 60/90 ratio----the idea is to ease your body into it. Good luck! We can be running buddies. :smile:

That would be sweet!

I actually bought a stop watch the last time I tried C25K which lasted about 2 weeks before I quit. I'm hoping that if I treat it as my pre-lifting warm-up, I might actually stick with it, and have something to look forward to, i.e. lifting, which I did get banged out afterwards today without much trouble. Will probly move yoga to in-between lifting days or something.

Truth be told I'm pretty happy with my lifting progress and the fact that I'm getting stronger, and yoga helps maintain the level of flexibility I was aiming for. 3 months in they've both become habitual and I've reached that comfort level where I'm okay to start introducing cardio and endurance in some way, hence the running. And when I say "running" I mean "slow jog" cuz mama don't actually run (yet). :laugh:

I may aim for a 5k in the fall and give myself 4-5 months to get ready, rather than 2-3. I don't really want this jogging to hurt my lifting so I'm not going to get overly aggressive with it unless I end up enjoying it, which is slightly more likely than hell freezing over. :bigsmile:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Finally got someone at the gym to take my squat pic for May....and the nice gentleman didn't really know how to work the camera so it is fuzzy. :laugh: I'm going to see if there is someone else there on Thursday who is a little more tech savvy for a redo.

So got A done today:

Squats: Hanging tight at 1x5 @ 85, 95, 105, 115, 125. Well, I didn't really do the 125 set properly because of the picture mess. I think I was in the squat for like 5 seconds at one point and thought I might have to bail on the floor instead of standing up. Thankfully, I decided to stand up in time. I think I'll start the sets at 90 next time. So very close to using the 45's for a set!
    Bench: Stayed at 5x5 @ 115 today as well due to little sleep last night and 105 was feeling hard during warm-ups. Hopefully Saturday will see a few reps at 120.
    Row: I did move up to 5x5 @ 110.

Then I got crazy and did a Vegas :flowerforyou: style finisher with a 15lb body bar. It was 3x8 of Upright Row, OH Squat, Goodmornings, Lunges, Push Press, Cleans, and Front Squats. I had to stop half way through the first set because I forgot what order I was going in, but it all got done eventually. Legs were jelly after that.
  • RunWestyRun
    RunWestyRun Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Was a bit lost when I first got to the gym as it was rammed and there were no power racks free or even any spare barbells. So I messed around for a while warming up on the dreadmill then did some kettlebell squats and lunges before using my stealth to secure a free power rack :tongue: As a creature of habit, I find it hard when my normal routine is disrupted

Squat - 35kg 5x5

OHP - 22.5kg - I am so chuffed - I managed to smash through my first stall on OHP 5x5. May stay at this weight for the next session before moving on up

Deadlift - 40kg

I used C25K a few years ago to get myself running and think it is fab - but I had to do 30 sec running to 90 sec walking to begin with as I jest couldn't run for any longer. A bit like SL - it soon builds up and before you know it you'll be flying :smile:
  • DaniH826
    Options
    Finally got someone at the gym to take my squat pic for May....and the nice gentleman didn't really know how to work the camera so it is fuzzy. laugh I'm going to see if there is someone else there on Thursday who is a little more tech savvy for a redo.

Great squat depth!

I know what you mean by "picture mess." I took self-shots the other day of me squatting, benching, DLing and OHPing, and that entire session became all about beating the camera timer and finding the right angles. :laugh:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Checking in:

I hit 5x5 @ 80 pounds on bench press this morning. I'd be excited except I had to deload squats. I did 120 on Sat but my form suffered pretty badly. I'm starting to notice flexibility issues. :cry: So I'm trying to find ways to work on that so I don't hurt myself.

@Dani- When I started C25K I couldn't run the 60 seconds either. I just kept repeating the first week until I could. It took months before I realized I was trying to run WAY to fast. I slowed down, and it's been pretty easy and surprisingly enjoyable from there. I'm working on a 10K now.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

Then I got crazy and did a Vegas :flowerforyou: style finisher with a 15lb body bar. It was 3x8 of Upright Row, OH Squat, Goodmornings, Lunges, Push Press, Cleans, and Front Squats. I had to stop half way through the first set because I forgot what order I was going in, but it all got done eventually. Legs were jelly after that.

YES!!!!!! How awesome was it??!!! Totally fits great doesn't it :bigsmile: A little nutty crazy but so effing awesome!
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Great work ladies!!

My workout is tonight. I'm starting over on my squats and rows. I really want to nail down my squat form before adding weight to the bar. Kind of makes me sad, but I want to do what's best for my body.

I did 80 pounds on my rows the other day, but I noticed that my left elbow would tuck in at the top of the lift. Don't know what up with that, but I think it may be my musculature around my shoulder blades. I went and got a massage the other day, and the therapist mentioned that my shoulder blades are really flat and he can get under my right shoulder blade to massage, but not my left. Gonna start lighter again and really focus on squeezing my shoulder blades together at the top.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You guys are doing a great job. I'm just checking in here, it's me the 54 year-old -- I mean 54 year-young. I know there are some older ones but I just love sayng that. Anyway I did Number 12 workout B Monday and I continue to amaze my self. I couldn't have done it without my husband there to push me because I would not have pushed myself. Here are my results:

Squat 100lbs 5x5 - Never in a million years though I would squat this much. In the past I did not do squats because of knee issues. I thought they came from lunges but I'm not sure because also got swelling after running. Anyway, I did 100lbs and so proud.

OHP 65 3x 5x 4x 3x 4x - Husband was with me last workout when I did 65 and I moved it down to 60 on the third set. But yesterday, he left the room and I decided to push the 65 as much as I could. So although I wasn't able to crank out 5 reps each set, I will keep it at 65 next workout and thrive for 5x5.

Deadlift 120 1x5 - Husband was back and I thought I could not lift that 120. Went to lift and barely got it off the rack (Have a cage so oly bar rests on the safety rails down as low as they go) but he pushed me and I lifted that 120. That takes a lot of concentration. I think I need to do some warmups on these. I keep forgetting to do that.

Anyway, successful workout. Chat with you all later. Happy lifting.
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Not feeling great but made it... Wasn't going to not do it after getting there and having to ask a guy to move out of the squat rack he was using just as space for deadlifts. Of course someone was waiting to use the ONLY rack after me too, but he was patient and waited for my last 3 sets instead of working in (which I offered).

Squat 5X5 at 90 pounds- hey, 100, I'm coming for you!!
    OHP (weak) 5x5 at 55
    Dead- 155X3 difficult reps then felt too much back strain, so down to 145 for 1x5.

So there I sit. Guess the squat goes up and the others hold for next time.