May check in and chat - May all your weights go up

Options

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

Then I got crazy and did a Vegas :flowerforyou: style finisher with a 15lb body bar. It was 3x8 of Upright Row, OH Squat, Goodmornings, Lunges, Push Press, Cleans, and Front Squats. I had to stop half way through the first set because I forgot what order I was going in, but it all got done eventually. Legs were jelly after that.

YES!!!!!! How awesome was it??!!! Totally fits great doesn't it :bigsmile: A little nutty crazy but so effing awesome!

I haven't felt that kind of burn and post workout sweat in a while!!! It was awesome! I think it will get me ready for the olympic lifts in no time. However, I may regret telling my trainer to prepare some HIIT circuits for tomorrow :laugh: We will see how it goes...I may need to stop for ice cream after just to refuel! :wink: Now time to develop a core centric kettlebell finisher. I'm all sorts of nutty crazy so it is pure awesome.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Then I got crazy and did a Vegas :flowerforyou: style finisher with a 15lb body bar. It was 3x8 of Upright Row, OH Squat, Goodmornings, Lunges, Push Press, Cleans, and Front Squats. I had to stop half way through the first set because I forgot what order I was going in, but it all got done eventually. Legs were jelly after that.

YES!!!!!! How awesome was it??!!! Totally fits great doesn't it :bigsmile: A little nutty crazy but so effing awesome!

I haven't felt that kind of burn and post workout sweat in a while!!! It was awesome! I think it will get me ready for the olympic lifts in no time. However, I may regret telling my trainer to prepare some HIIT circuits for tomorrow :laugh: We will see how it goes...I may need to stop for ice cream after just to refuel! :wink: Now time to develop a core centric kettlebell finisher. I'm all sorts of nutty crazy so it is pure awesome.

Ohhhh let me know what HIIT circuits your trainer comes up with :bigsmile:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    First time back since Friday tonight and I'm scared!
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    @Dani - if you can run any slower, you're running too fast for C25k. I'd say keep trying for the 60s: we don't (usually) drop weights because it's hard, we do what we can, and keep trying til we hit the full complement of sets/reps. Same thing should apply here. And yes, I found it hell to start with. I decided a few months ago never to stop running entirely because I didn't want to have to go through C25k to build up a base again!

First lifting session in 10 days for me:
    Squats steady at 42.5kg/93.5#. There was grunting this time!
    Bench - increase a whole 0.5kg/1# to give me 25.5kg/56#. Thank goodness for fractionals...I still only got 4,5,5, but I think that was poor warm-up more than anything
    Rows - 31kg/68# yay fractionals!!

Everything felt messy, tired and uncoordinated except the rows which are where I usually feel messy, tired and uncoordinated. But...today's were awesome!

Also, you know how your thighs are called "quads" because there are four large muscles making them up? I can actually see two of those muscles as distinct bulges now :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm back, but y'all are far too chatty for me to catch up. Scotland was amazing, and I completely avoided internet, logging, and bodyweight stuff I said I'd do. But, I walked all over the place. :laugh:
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    B today. Still zero knee pain since I increased squat depth. YAY ME!

Squats: 5x5 at 85, will go up to 90 next workout. I'll get back to that 140 I was doing before, but this time with correct form.
    OHP: My nemesis....5x5 at 70, will go up, even though I thought I'd fail on the last set.
    Deadlift: 1x5 at 170, going up by 5 next time.

Now, I've got to work on getting more than 4 hours sleep a night. Starting to fray a little bit around the edges.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Squat - 130 - felt pretty strong up until the last couple reps on the last couple sets; will repeat next time.
    OHP - 4 sets at 85 (RAWR!)- will repeat if I'm feeling strong next time, or lower a little if I'm not feeling it. I had stalled at 80, then didn't feel that strong last week and went with 65. I ate a bit more this weekend and felt good, so I went for it.
    Deadlift - 185 -will repeat next time. I can really feel this in whatever core muscles are hidden right under my muffin top.

What's my secret???

I had icecream before I went to bed last night.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    This morning, 4th workout since I'm getting back on track with my wrist! It's rarely hurting anymore! Woot woot! :love:

So far, squatting at 75lbs, IHP 50, Deadlift 125, Bench 50, row 50.

My numbers are all over the place, I deloaded most stuff, and am working my way up... sigh.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    ooh I had ice cream last night, hoping it helps!! ;)
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Did my first C25k workout last night. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. And I can walk this morning. So I call it success.

Workout B tonight. Plan is Squat at 122, OHP at 70, deads at 182. I'm curious how my legs will respond after the running. Maybe I'll try this ice cream thing . . . . . . :laugh:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Squat 100lbs 5x5 - Never in a million years though I would squat this much. In the past I did not do squats because of knee issues.

@dafoots -- we are twins. I was soooo excited to squat 100 pounds, because I never thought I would because of my knees!! ^5

@lowoodroff & @xidia -- great job coming back after a layoff!!

@xidia, hooray for visible quads!!

Welcome back @auddii!! Sounds like an awesome trip.

@glwerth -- good job, no knee pain rocks! (Refer to what I wrote to dafoots LOL)

To those of you who are running -- be sure to run a K or two for me, would ya? I don't see how you guys can do it. I admire you. I'm pretty sure that will never be me, though.

Yesterday's workout was a grind. Hard, hard, hard. OHP was the bright spot if you can believe that.

Squats -- second time at 130. I did that for the first set then went down to 125 and it was still a real grind.

OHP -- Up 2 pounds to 55 and felt awesome, challenging but easy. I bet I have at least 10 more pounds before stalling on these again.

Deadlift -- I did 165, same as last time. And like last time, the last two reps weren't full reps, so I count them failed.

I'll try one more time at 130 squat and 165 dead and then if I still don't get it I will deload (of course, duh, that's how the program works LOL). I know that I have a lot more progression in me, but I'm also sure that my calorie deficit is starting to catch up with my progressing.

Keep having fun lifting everyone!
  • ninakale
    ninakale Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Sounds like May is going pretty well for everyone so far. Today officially completed my first week of SL, will start putting some plates on next time! Albeit small, but still excited. Was happy to feel like I started to figure out form for the rows, they flustered me the first time out and I ended up with a sore lower back for 2 days. Felt much more natural today after watching Pendlay instructional video. I am excited to be a part of the group and feel like this is what I have been hoping MFP would be like since I joined. Happy Hump Day! :drinker:
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    (playing catchup)
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    helllooooo ladies! I'm back :)
    had a whinge on arrival, but then..

B session tonight, squatted 45kg (99lb) 5x5, will redo next time as form was getting wobbly towards the end..
    OHP did a warmup at 27.5, then managed 30kg (66lb) for 4 reps and dropped back to 27.5 to finish, could only get 4 on my final set too so grrrr. at what point do I try fractionals on this?
    And.. deadlifted 85kg (187lb) so over body weight! yeah! although I suspect form was HORRIBLE, my grip is certainly at its limits, so need to reflect on this.. do I try and progress this or drop back a bit and work on form?
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Re: the knee discussions - I have osteoarthritis in both my knees, and can't really do any running without pain. But squatting? I could squat all day long with no issues (other than my muscles rebelling against me, of course). I don't understand it, but there it is. Knees are weird.

auddi - I love Scotland - and yes, you do a LOT of walking! Glad you had a great trip!

lwoodroff: Why do you suspect your form was horrible? Were your hands slipping? Did you take a break to reset and breathe in between each pull? I"m asking because I am at 185 for deadlifts (just today), and felt like it was much harder to tell if I was doing it right because, well, I was mostly chanting "lift it kira lift it kira lift it kira" in my head. :smile: I had already decided that i was only going to bump deads every other workout anyhow, and my grip seems to be holding (although my hands were tired afterwards), but I am a little concerned about not being as aware of my form - Lifting partner said I looked fine, and I'm not hurting, but still. . .maybe it's all just mental? Hopefully some of the other ladies lifting in this range will chime in.

I am definitely feeling my cut at the gym. So this week I've decided that if I need to eat, then I'm gonna eat, and I'll just work my way back down to 2000. Amazing what a change taking out 200 calories makes!

Squats 130 - Tough, but this was a repeat to make sure my form was holding, and I will attempt 135 on Friday.
    OHP - 55554 at 70. I was actually pretty pumped, because this was one more complete rep than last time. Hoping that next week I'll nail all of them!
    Deadlift - 185 (with warmups at 95 and 135)

Followed by a medicine ball complex, with a 10 pound ball, up from my 8 pound session last week - yay! progression even in cardio!

Then this afternoon I went out and shot arrows for an hour - I can really feel the work I've done helping me on the range - especially in my core - I think I have muscles there that have never existed before! My endurance was much better, too - it was my hands that gave out, not my back (due to the deadlifts, no doubt).

And now for pork chops. And fried apples. And broccoli. Oh yeah, I'm gonna eat ALL the food tonight!
  • jstout365
    Options
    And.. deadlifted 85kg (187lb) so over body weight! yeah! although I suspect form was HORRIBLE, my grip is certainly at its limits, so need to reflect on this.. do I try and progress this or drop back a bit and work on form?

Congrats on going over body weight on DL!! Have you tried the mixed grip yet? If not, you may want to give it a try. I backed down by about 20 lbs to get used to it before moving back up. That would also give you a chance to work on form when you drop the weight for a little.

No lifting for me today, but after adding the complex onto the end of A yesterday and then doing HIIT with my trainer today, my legs are done and I feel like I'm going to fall asleep any minute :yawn: :laugh: . So, I am planning on some ice cream on the way home to re-feed the body and then an early night to try and get 8 hours or so of sleep. I can still sit and stand so I'm thinking I will be good to go on workout B tomorrow after a good night's rest and of course the ice cream fuel :drinker:
  • jstout365
    Options
    I am definitely feeling my cut at the gym. So this week I've decided that if I need to eat, then I'm gonna eat, and I'll just work my way back down to 2000. Amazing what a change taking out 200 calories makes!

And now for pork chops. And fried apples. And broccoli. Oh yeah, I'm gonna eat ALL the food tonight!

I'm right there with you!! I'm reevaluating where I set my calorie goal at this point. I think 2100 may be closer to what I need in order to not drain the tank in three days if this is the pace I plan on keeping.

I had pork chops for lunch! Enjoy all the food!
  • lwoodroff
    Options

lwoodroff: Why do you suspect your form was horrible? Were your hands slipping? Did you take a break to reset and breathe in between each pull? I"m asking because I am at 185 for deadlifts (just today), and felt like it was much harder to tell if I was doing it right because, well, I was mostly chanting "lift it kira lift it kira lift it kira" in my head. :smile: I had already decided that i was only going to bump deads every other workout anyhow, and my grip seems to be holding (although my hands were tired afterwards), but I am a little concerned about not being as aware of my form - Lifting partner said I looked fine, and I'm not hurting, but still. . .maybe it's all just mental? Hopefully some of the other ladies lifting in this range will chime in.

firstly, Kira, I don't know how you gals do finishers after lifting, I was SPENT. Managed 2.5 minutes on the bike before going 'screw that'!

secondly, I think I need to move to mixed grip, they weren't slipping but definitely not secure. Our stupid weights roll around when you put them down so had to reset each time, and I just don't know if my form is ok. It didn't hurt or anything, but time to drop a few kg, try mixed grip, and review some videos (and maybe get y'all to look at one too!). It's the first time I've had to look at the weights for a few minutes and psych myself up to lift them, so I was a bit intimidated by it!

edited to say.. I've just reviewed Mehdi doing it, and his 'tips', I think I start from too much of a squat position (and think I do this too on pendlays, but that's a whooole other barrel of monkeys), and he seems to run the bar over his knees and I certainly don't do that.. hm. depressing. think I need to get someone to have a look definitely, maybe drop back to 65 or 70kg... oh and to put down and immediately lift again.. yeah that wasn't happening either.
  • kellieem
    kellieem Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Haha, there's too much to read right now and I'm at work, but I thought I'd check in. Tomorrow night is my third workout A (I think I'll be doing 60 lbs on squats, and 50 or 55 on bench press and barbell row) and fifth in total. I'm still only doing them twice a week, but I think that I'm really going to try and convince my mom (my lifting partner) to get that third one in. Our schedules are so opposite!

I did the second of workout B on Monday and my quads are still insanely stiff!!! Did anyone find that?? Granted, there were 4 days between that workout and the one before it, would that long of time in between workouts cause that much stiffness?

It sounds like everyone is doing fantastic!
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Did my 7th workout today, and am pretty happy with it! I elevated the bar on 3 plates instead of 2 for the rows, and I think that's where I need it. I don't think my form is great yet, especially on the first set. I'm going to try a warmup set at 55 or 65 lb next time I do them to get the form down before I move up to 80 lb.

Increased daily calories by 100, and ate an extra 120 on top of that today. I also hit 126 g protein, and am feeling good right now, so I think that might be right for me on lifting days!

That's amazing!! I don't have any advice to give, being a novice and all.... just wanted to say WOW :drinker: