Options

Replies

• starbuckette
    starbuckette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
  • starbuckette
    starbuckette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    These a reaaal gooooood! Here’s a few more.
    I hate waiting for a pool lane to clear up (goes for road traffic lanes too)
    I hate older water aerobics ladies. Period. They ‘re mean when they’re wet.
    I hate when older water aerobics ladies show up 15mn before the class and start warming up, walking next to my lane.
    I hate when older water aerobics ladies yell at me when I tell them they’re 10 mn early pulling these darn lane dividers.
    I hate people who walk in the pool. Swim already.
    Worse, I hate people who wear gym shoes in the pool. What the..?
    I hate pools in fitness chains: too chlorinated, too warm, too many darn hygiene doubts
    I hate it when I am able to see bandaids and other questionable stuff at the bottom of the pool, especially knowing that I’m so darn blind without glasses. Is that just the tip of the iceberg?
    I hate people making nonsense exercise moves in the pool. Seriously, what the heck are they doing?? GO AWAY! YOU ARE A DISTRACTION TO HONEST, DEDICATED SWIMMERS, STRANGE WIGGLY PEOPLE!
    I especially hate that middle-aged skinny lady, with her back parked at the corner of the pool, legs positioned at a right angle, strangely coordinating her opening them widely with the very moment I reach the end of the lane. Yuk, lady! I’m not interested in your V-monoVlog (yeah, bad visual)!
    I hate people who swim without wetting their hair.
    I hate when people who swim without wetting their hair beat me at speed swimming without even trying to race me.
    I hate it when people come straight from the locker room into the pool without having taken a shower first. Or worse, I hate it when the sweaty cardio or lifting crowd comes straight from the locker room into the pool without having taken a shower first.
    I hate it when in the locker room, those same sweaty people who just finished their gym workout proceed to dry they sweat using the hair dryer. DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO SHARE YOUR BO, PEOPLE? IT STIIIINKS!
    I hate it when 4 hours after a swim workout, during a work meeting , I bend over an important document and suddenly water drizzles out of my nose all over the document, in front of everyone. They don’t know it’s pool water! It is, I swear! Don t you smell the chlorine?

OMG, I am splitting a gut. You are way too funny zerryz. These are the reasons I changed pools where I live - too many olds driving me nuts. Yes, I'd rather deal with bullies and pervs.
  • SwimtotheEnd
    SwimtotheEnd Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Zerryz, I bow to you. You are truly great. That is some of the funniest stuff I've read. You are the master of wit and humour.
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Yeah, I can be funny but I'm certainly not the Master. You should read stuff that some of the people on my friend list write in the forums. HILARIOUS! But thanks, Swim.
  • erika0430
    erika0430 Posts: 57
    Options
    Lol!:love: I love it and Agree with all the above! Great Stuff!
    Can we do I Love now?:
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    No "speed" lanes at my Y.
    I "hate" when twenty something former swim team a-holes think they can force me to oval swim in a lane even though they are faster than my 50+ ars. I just stay in my lane and eventually they get the message and wait until another lane opens up. This only happened twice in the last decade. Usual worst case is two in a lane.

I "hate" when 3 teens are goofing off in a lap lane and sitting on the lane rope. Gave the idiots a good splash with my zip fins when they refused the lifeguards instruction to get off the rope.

I "hate" when the person in the next half lane is doing breast stroke and refuses to control their kicks and kicks me as a result. I don't even do breast stroke unless I have a lane to myself.

I love it when seniors are in the pool doing laps. No matter how slow they are I find this inspirational.

i love seeing the youth swim team practice in lanes when I am swimming. These kids can swim.
  • SwimtotheEnd
    Options
    I hate triathletes.

Harsh I know. But let me vent.

I hate when triathletes join a swimming squad. They immediately assess themselves so much better than they are and put themselves in the wrong lane (I hate that). They then dont touch the wall and pull up under the flags during sets (I hate that). And they dont let others touchiung the wall by not queueing properly (You get that I hate that as well). Then anything greater than 200m they sprint start and then die.

Okay thats my Friday morning vent !!

I didnt have any pervs, old ladies or bullies.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I hate it when swimmers who are far more proficient than beginners who are just getting over the fear of the whole concept of the pool, the water, being clumsy in their strokes, being clumsy around pool etiquette and feeling completely isolated with no-one offering to tell them how to go about things, start compiling lists of hates towards them.

No - really I do empathize with a lot of points you make in your first post, but it is sad that newcomers are not welcomed to the pool and adults are not offered classes where they can correct their strokes before going out and annoying people like yourself.

I never learned to swim at school, talk myself the rough idea so I could swim but badly and then got some private coaching to re-learn a lot about the basic swimming strokes so I could actually move through the water more efficiently. If I hadn't done that, or couldn't afford to do that (as many cannot) then I would still be one of those people you hate.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I hate it when swimmers who are far more proficient than beginners who are just getting over the fear of the whole concept of the pool, the water, being clumsy in their strokes, being clumsy around pool etiquette and feeling completely isolated with no-one offering to tell them how to go about things, start compiling lists of hates towards them.

No - really I do empathize with a lot of points you make in your first post, but it is sad that newcomers are not welcomed to the pool and adults are not offered classes where they can correct their strokes before going out and annoying people like yourself.

I never learned to swim at school, talk myself the rough idea so I could swim but badly and then got some private coaching to re-learn a lot about the basic swimming strokes so I could actually move through the water more efficiently. If I hadn't done that, or couldn't afford to do that (as many cannot) then I would still be one of those people you hate.

Personally, I find beginning adult swimmers to be highly inspirational. They are in the pool working to do something they haven't done much of. I'm no expert nor do I play one on TV. So I tend not to offer advice. But I will mention that when I first started swimming to try and improve my level of fitness, I only managed to make 6 laps. Now swim up to 125 laps in a single swim. Persistence is the key. Never give up. Watch what other do. If you see someone with a more efficient stroke, watch them and try to copy them.
    That is what I do. I don't swim fast. When I really push hard I can make 45 seconds per lap. But my normal pace is 50 to 55 seconds per lap. But I can swim for a couple hours now. 90 is my new 36 :bigsmile:
  • murdy745
    murdy745 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhh we swimmers don't hate YOU people, we just HATE the annoying behaviors you non-swimmers bring into our space...har har....all jokes aside, every sport has etiquette, why would swimming be any different?
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options

I understand what you are saying & tend to agree with you, however, it's not a matter of newcomers not being "welcome" - it's a matter of me not wanting to intrude & come off as a know-it-all by offering unsolicited advice. I've swam, taught & coached for a long time & am happy to help anybody I can, but only after being asked for help. I've had a few people ask & I've worked with them successfully, but I would never take it upon myself to approach a stranger & come across as telling them what they are doing is wrong. If you are a new or novice swimmer don't be afraid to ask a seasoned swimmer for help, just don't stop them in the middle of a set - wait until they are taking a break, have finished their workout or haven't started yet & just ask if you can pick their brains when they have a chance - I'm betting the vast majority would be happy to help out....
  • SwimtotheEnd
    Options
    The world is far too serious. This was a light hearted laugh. Harmless.

I know I should know better. I got a similar response with Open water swimmers vs soft poolies.

I loves you all
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I hate it when I'm in the middle of a swim set, taking 10secs on the wall or whatever, and someone stops to strike up a conversation. Just because we are in the same pool doesn't mean I have time to converse! I'm on a timed interval and panting goddamnit! :grumble:

/end rant
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm SOOOO impressed that you can (barely) pass me doing a 25 sprint as I crank out length #65.

haha this! love seeing people sprint pass me then stopping after 25m when I'm up to 2.5km..
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is those groups of people (mainly ladies) who swim together taking up the whole width of the "wide lane" and swim slowly, chatting the whole time.... c'mon, I'm trying to swim here.... I havent got the speed for the fast lane, and even the slow lane seems too fast for me some nights as there seems to be so many people need the fast lane they spill into the slow lane, so I am relegated to the "wide lane"

damn the pool was busy last night! :(
  • Kerry_R
    Kerry_R Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I hate couples who swim together; not go to the pool together but swim side by side, SLOWLY, and then after every length having a chat, kiss and cuddle.
    Then having the nerve to moan at me because I pay to swim and choose to do so in an orderly and constant fashion.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I hate being swamped by kids jumping into the pool.

I also hate it when the showers smell like pee.
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I hate being swamped by kids jumping into the pool.

You'd love swimming next to the high school swim team when they are working on butterfly then ;-)

The good thing is that it does get better over time. Now I'm able to just skip a breath and quickly breath on the other side.
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I hate it when a guy that plows through the water with the legs hanging low, makes a pathetic little kick once a stroke, and does open turns beats me by about 3 seconds a length doing sustained laps.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I realise this is all light hearted bonding stuff - but ... Honestly, some of it reads really badly folks.

What about tolerance? And recognising that the pool is not just for 'do as many lanes as I can as quick as I can' people?

Sure I could add a few hates myself - but I'd rather enjoy the fact kids are having fun, people are doing the exercise that suits their goals, adults are over coming their fears of water/looking 'wrong'.etc

So my personal pet hate?

I think it might be 'pet hate lists on Mfp' !

'