Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Wjolaughlin
    Wjolaughlin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow! I just completed the program! I tried to do it 2 years ago and only got to week 4 before giving up. This time I was determined to finish, once I got past week 5 it actually got fun! I look forward to going out to run! I still need to get faster, I'm only at about a 15 minute mile, so I'm going to start over and see if it helps to push myself to run at a faster pace.
  • imafitmom
    imafitmom Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Wow! I just completed the program! I tried to do it 2 years ago and only got to week 4 before giving up. This time I was determined to finish, once I got past week 5 it actually got fun! I look forward to going out to run! I still need to get faster, I'm only at about a 15 minute mile, so I'm going to start over and see if it helps to push myself to run at a faster pace.

Woo-Hoo!! Good for you - congrats!!!:flowerforyou:
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options

Congratulations!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Completed week 6 today... Missed the cue to walk so it was a 24 minute run... Which means Tuesday's 25 minute run should be no biggie!

On the other hand, we only ran 1.67 miles in those 24 minutes, so our pace leaves something to be desired.
  • babybl00310
    babybl00310 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Graduated on Thursday and decided to try my first 5k on Friday. I used to run regularly a few years ago so know all the 5k routes start and stop points around my way. I live in the middle of the countryside which is great but no matter which way I run I am hit with hills.

Friday's 5k felt good. Kept my pace slow and steady and felt like I could have taken it up a notch but was scared in case I burned out towards the end. Completed the 5k in 35 minutes flat on rundouble and 35.04 on my garmin 305. I'm okay with that- gives me a starting point.

Did the same 5k this morning and there was an obstacle at every corner. On the starting road there was a lot of traffic which is really unusual so kept having to pull my dog into the side, had to pull his inquisitive nose away from a dead badger in the middle of the road, had to try and get round a car which had parked across the whole road, met some sheep which had got free of their field while running up one of the steepest hills then to top it off just before turning onto another hill three collies appeared out of nowhere and tried to attack my dog. Phew! Still, managed to complete it in 34.55 (rundouble) and 35 flat on my garmin so not too disappointed at all.

For anyone who is just starting the plan or part way through and doesn't think they can do it, I started the plan on 22nd April, had to take two weeks out due to a flare up of hip bursitis and am now running 5k so it can be done and the plan works. Just trust it anf trust yourself.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    The rain delayed my usual run by a day, but it was lovely (but hot) out this morning so I finally got to hit the trail. Did my usual 5K but managed to run for around 2 miles out of it. That's the most I've ever run. Oddly, I was slower overall than when I intersperse shorter runs and walks. Still, I think I'm going to focus on longer running stretches and let the pace come up on its own. The heat slows me down, so fall is going to be like paradise.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Jumped up to W4D1 this morning. I'm doing the distance version, so today was run 1/4 mile, walk 1/8, run 1/2 mile, walk 1/4, repeat. I finished it. Wasn't easy, and it was a slower pace than when I did it a few weeks before my surgery, but I think that's a good starting point for now. Still may skip a level here or there until I reach level 8, where I left off before.

I'm hoping to get back into the routine of run one day, bicycle the next, with the occasional rest day when life or the weather gets in the way!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    First week of Five to 10k is done. To think not that many weeks ago I was struggling with 5 minute runs, now my workout is over 50 minutes.
  • charlenequinn94
    Options
    It's been about a week since my W5, D2 run. My left calf is still hurting. The first couple of steps I take each time I get up are limping, then it works out.

I'm hesitant to go at this again. I get plenty of other cardio and I lift regularly. I'm questioning the value of running when it feels like it's just going to be another ongoing pain.

We'll see in a few days.
    How is your potassium intake. I was facing the same problem for about a month and a half. One of my friends who is a nurse was thinking my potassium was off and told me to get a potassium supplment.
  • charlenequinn94
    Options
    I just finished W6 D1 . Nearly got ran over by an old man leaving his drive way. One reason to wear a bright pink t-shirt and bright blue shorts. I want to be seen by these people. Strangely enough I think it was the same man who thought I was nuts for walking in the rain yesterday.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    W4D1 in the bag!

Started off feeling like I wasn't quite 'in the zone' for a run this morning as it's my day off and I was feeling lazy but the dog likes them and she needed a walk anyway so off we went. By the time the 5min warm up walk was over we were raring to go! The 5min runs weren't too bad - I'm focusing so much on getting my breathing right that the time kind of flies by. I could have done without coming up on a hill in the last minute of the final run but hey, it was character building lol
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    Graduated on Thursday and decided to try my first 5k on Friday. I used to run regularly a few years ago so know all the 5k routes start and stop points around my way. I live in the middle of the countryside which is great but no matter which way I run I am hit with hills.

Friday's 5k felt good. Kept my pace slow and steady and felt like I could have taken it up a notch but was scared in case I burned out towards the end. Completed the 5k in 35 minutes flat on rundouble and 35.04 on my garmin 305. I'm okay with that- gives me a starting point.

Did the same 5k this morning and there was an obstacle at every corner. On the starting road there was a lot of traffic which is really unusual so kept having to pull my dog into the side, had to pull his inquisitive nose away from a dead badger in the middle of the road, had to try and get round a car which had parked across the whole road, met some sheep which had got free of their field while running up one of the steepest hills then to top it off just before turning onto another hill three collies appeared out of nowhere and tried to attack my dog. Phew! Still, managed to complete it in 34.55 (rundouble) and 35 flat on my garmin so not too disappointed at all.

For anyone who is just starting the plan or part way through and doesn't think they can do it, I started the plan on 22nd April, had to take two weeks out due to a flare up of hip bursitis and am now running 5k so it can be done and the plan works. Just trust it anf trust yourself.

Congrats! Be proud!

Just completed W6D1 - down and done!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Week 5, day 3 yesterday! It was great!!! :happy: I'm so proud of myself! I was actually excited for it, and I enjoy running and look forward to it. My pace was kind of lacking, but I'll take it. I thought about continuing to finish the 2 miles instead of stopping at 20 minutes, but my bad hip was getting pretty sore so I didn't want to push it too hard, too soon. I was smiling through the whole cool down. Anyone who saw me probably thought I was crazy. :laugh:
  • babybl00310
    babybl00310 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Week 5, day 3 yesterday! It was great!!! :happy: I'm so proud of myself! I was actually excited for it, and I enjoy running and look forward to it. My pace was kind of lacking, but I'll take it. I thought about continuing to finish the 2 miles instead of stopping at 20 minutes, but my bad hip was getting pretty sore so I didn't want to push it too hard, too soon. I was smiling through the whole cool down. Anyone who saw me probably thought I was crazy. :laugh:

Well done!It's amazing how good W5D3 feels once completed, especially after all the nerves leading up to it.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options

Yey! Well done :flowerforyou:

It really isn't as bad as it seems!
  • Evallusion
    Evallusion Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Week 4 is in the books. Starting Week 5 tomorrow. Looking up 5ks in the NJ/NY area.

Congrats everyone on your milestones.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Today I did week 5, day 1. Nervous for the rest of the week, but today was no problem. :)
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I attempted Week8 Day1 today but couldn't make it through. It was 80 degrees and hot, hot, hot. I mentally quit early on and gave up jogging about 16 minutes in. I switched to walking but feel like I failed myself. I just couldn't push through today. I'll definitely be repeating on a cooler day or at early morning or late evening times. Trying to go on my lunch break is going to kill me if it stays warm and I don't want to fail at this after getting this far in.
    I have to take my daughter to a college meeting day tomorrow so I won't be able to repeat the attempt until at least Wednesday. Sigh...
  • Cazzyxo
    Cazzyxo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    W3D2 done :) Hayfever nearly killed me. I cant breathe now and my eyes are all blood shot boohoo. Tried to slow it down as i know i need to as the runs are bevoming longer!
  • imafitmom
    imafitmom Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Way to go!!!! :flowerforyou: