Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Sup everyone....

Today was a simple 3 miler. I have shifted into half marathon training. I would do a 10k, but there aren't any around here. Oh well. I am signing up for the Shelby Farms Greenline Half Marathon, which will take place in October, then focusing my marathon run for next year. I plan to run both a half and marathon each year, until my either 1. my legs give out, 2. I medically can't do it no more, or 3. I die.

Good job to all the new runners!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Did W4D1 this evening. I had decided last night not to try doing it this morning as I was exhausted after being on my feet a good portion of the weekend, outside, in 90+F temps. I thought that one week of running Tues, Wed, Fri would be okay. So I didn't run this morning, but slept in until 6:30 am. It was in the mid-80s on the way in to work. However we had a thunderstorm, a big one, and the temps dropped 20 degrees while I was at work. I came home to low 70s, so now I'm back to the MWF schedule. Yeah!
  • destructor2013
    Options
    I did my 4th day today, which should be W2D1, but I couldn't do the full 30 minutes in W1 (only 15). I was going to try to do 30 minutes today, but still could only do 15, so I may have to repeat W1 next week too. I am going to try to do 30 minutes on Wednesday and see how that goes.

You need to slow down.

Uh how so? The app I have says walk 5 minutes, jog 1 minute, walk 1.5 minutes, repeat until 25 minutes, walk 5 minutes. I am doing that but only getting to the 15 minute mark. I started last Monday, and have taken each following day off. I took Saturday & Sunday off as well.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Week 2, day 1.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I did my 4th day today, which should be W2D1, but I couldn't do the full 30 minutes in W1 (only 15). I was going to try to do 30 minutes today, but still could only do 15, so I may have to repeat W1 next week too. I am going to try to do 30 minutes on Wednesday and see how that goes.

You need to slow down.

Uh how so? The app I have says walk 5 minutes, jog 1 minute, walk 1.5 minutes, repeat until 25 minutes, walk 5 minutes. I am doing that but only getting to the 15 minute mark. I started last Monday, and have taken each following day off. I took Saturday & Sunday off as well.

I wouldn't say slow down. But, I would suggest to repeat week 1 until you can complete the whole 30 minutes. The runs get longer and longer, and you might end up setting yourself up for disappointment.

As far as the suggestion to go slower...if you are having issues completing the 30 minutes, then yes usally it is because of speed. Your run speed should be slow, slow enough that if someone were running with you, you would be able to hold a conversation where you could complete a sentance before having to catch a breath. Depending on where you are doing it (ouside or on treadmill), I used to judge it by how high my heart rate was. There are some on here who run slower than the walk, and that is okay. Remember, the whole point of this is finishing the program, and a lot of people find they need to slow way down, more so than they realized. Speed will come later on.
  • destructor2013
    Options

You need to slow down.

I wouldn't say slow down. But, I would suggest to repeat week 1 until you can complete the whole 30 minutes. The runs get longer and longer, and you might end up setting yourself up for disappointment.

As far as the suggestion to go slower...if you are having issues completing the 30 minutes, then yes usally it is because of speed. Your run speed should be slow, slow enough that if someone were running with you, you would be able to hold a conversation where you could complete a sentance before having to catch a breath. Depending on where you are doing it (ouside or on treadmill), I used to judge it by how high my heart rate was. There are some on here who run slower than the walk, and that is okay. Remember, the whole point of this is finishing the program, and a lot of people find they need to slow way down, more so than they realized. Speed will come later on.

That's what I am doing. I am doing Week 1 again this week, which if I were following the app to the T it would be considered Week 2, but like I said, I am repeating Week 1 and I am going to until I can do 30 minutes each day. I guess maybe I didn't make that clear in my post, if so my bad. And I am going slow. People walking could probably outpace me. Trust me, speed + me = not happening anytime soon, lol. The only speed I achieve is when I'm in a car.
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Week 5 Day 2 completed on my tready at 1% inc, really happy, as I took a bit of a break from the programme because i was exhausted so for the last week i was doing random runs and a few outside jogs/walks. My heart didn't feel like it was about to pop. Happy days
  • babybl00310
    babybl00310 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I graduated two weeks ago, but still very much a work in progress. I had been struggling with my outdoor runs recently, so I decided to skip the treadmill and focus on getting the distance outdoors I get inside, even if it means going slower. Well today the goal was 2.5 miles, but I was still feeling good after that so I thought, let's go for 2.75. Well I was still feeling it after that so I thought let's go for 3 miles. I hit 3 miles and churned out another .10 to complete a 5k. It took me 40 minutes. I have never run for 40 minutes before ever. Now I admit, I am a bit frustrated that my treadmill pace is quite a bit faster than my outdoor pace, but I realize I will get the speed I want in due time.

Well done! Now you have an outdoor starting pace for your 5k and can see how you improve with practice.

Week 7 for me this morning before work. Going out after work to do Week 5 Day 3 with my friend however this is going to take some convincing as she really doesn't think she can do the full 20 minutes.
  • Cazzyxo
    Cazzyxo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. Im new to the group. Just did W1D3 outside. Did my first session on the dreadmill and next two outside. I much perfer the outdoors not only is it nice to not be staring at the wall and focusing on how long is left i can actually run at a faster pace and manage it more than i could on the tredmill. I will be completely dumbfounded if i can ever run a whole mile without feeling like i might go into respiritory arrest and combust but im gonna push on and test that lol. Xox
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I am new to the group as well. I am in week 3 right now. I did day 1 yesterday and day 2 will be tomorrow. :)
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Did W5D1 today! My son is getting really whiney on the runs though, so I'm trying to come to some sort of compromise. I can't tell if it's a negative attitude or if it's physically too much for him; I'm inclined to think it's all attitude, though.
  • birdie8fish
    birdie8fish Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I completed W6D1, I actually found it more difficult than W5D3. Not sure if it was because I only had a day in between normally I have two days between the weeks. I'm pretty impressed with me and my running buddy's dedication to this program. We have not missed a single day and completed every day as written.
  • sunkissed1109
    sunkissed1109 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just completed W5D3. Stayed up too late last night watching baseball and almost didn't make it to the gym..but I went! (I hate treadmill running, but with 2 kids, only option)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Week 7 is done! Day three this morning was killer, as I decided to run a different route which was very hilly! Had to slow to a walk for a short time at the top of a couple of large hills. But I finished 2.5 mile run in just slightly slower pace than on Sunday.

Will be taking a break for a while since I'm having gall bladder surgery on Thursday.
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    W1D1 in the books. Keep up the great work people!!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    Finished W3D3 on the treadmill after a session with the trainer. My cold is still getting in the way. I may just walk tomorrow then pick up Week 4 on Friday, I have a long weekend off.
  • JenniferPlus2
    JenniferPlus2 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I finished W7D1 yesterday and ran 2.5 miles straight in 40 minutes! I have never run 2.5 miles straight before in my life! I feel invincible. I was just running and running, when it said slow to a walk, it was like it woke me up out of a trance. I felt so good and exhausted and like I really earned the pain!:bigsmile:
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    W6D3 done! The full 20 minute run is complete!!!

The beginning was rough, the middle was so-so, and from 10 minutes on it got much more do-able. I can't explain it. All I know is I did it, and didn't feel like I was dying for the last 2 minutes. It was a good night. :happy:

I'm bummed because it's going to pour on Thursday and our kids' school fair is Thursday night. So I'm either running in the rain at 8pm or running in the rain at 6am. These are the days when I wish I owned a treadmill! I know some people enjoy it, but I like my iphone and my headphones. Which means I'll have to wear a slicker or something to keep it dry (I wear it on my upper arm). Oh well, it'll happen one way or another!
  • shrinking_me
    shrinking_me Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Week 8, day 1 completed on the treadmill this afternoon :)
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    W4D2 down and done