No Seeing Any Progress

Options
bound4beauty
bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
I hope you guys can help. I've been losing and gaining the same three pounds for about 2 months now. I've kept meticulous records in a spreadsheet of my daily calorie consumption and since getting a Fitbit, my daily calorie output. Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Height: 5 feet and 1/2 inch
Weight: 196
Body Fat: 46% (done at the gym about 3 weeks ago)

What's your current gross intake of calories, on average? - I have been playing around with my calorie level trying to find something that works. It has ranged from 1632 to 1831 with a six week average of 1727

What's your current average intake of protein, carbs, and fats, in grams? (GRAMS, not percent!). Averaged over the last six days:

Carbs: 173
Fat: 63
Protein 123

Do you use a food scale and measure everything? - Yes, I weigh and measure everything when I eat at home which is the majority of the time. I usually have one meal a week out so those calories are based on estimates.

Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?) - Yes, I track everything

Do you take cheat days or days off? - Not really. Even when I have night out or dinner somewhere, I account for those calories.

How much weight have you lost so far and over what time period? - I lost around 40 pounds between November 2010 and June 2012 (lowest weight was 191.8). Part of that was due to taking Phentermine my doctor prescribed. I put back on around 12 pounds (back up to 204.4) when I stopped taking the Phentermine. Since March 2013 I've lost 8 of those.

Describe your activity (exercise and non exercise) and did you change that activity withing the last couple of months? - I sit at a desk for about 10 hours a day. Since March 26th I've worked out twice a week with a trainer. I also do 30 - 40 minutes of HIIT cardio 3 times a week and have been working in other activity like walking and bike riding. I also just started lifting on my own one day a week.

How long have you been stalled and if it is not a complete stall please be very specific as to how much you have lost over the stalled period. - I have bounced between 195 and 198 since April 22nd.

Are you breastfeeding? - No

Do you have thyroid issues/risks or PCOS? - No

Other people have noticed a weight loss but I'm not seeing it and I also have not seen much of a change in measurements. I seem to be losing fat from the top down though so maybe that's why I'm not noticing it.

I'll try and figure out how to post pictures but I have comparison pictures in my profile.

Replies

• bound4beauty
    Options
    Here's a comparison from last month to this month. I'm not seeing any changes despite having carefully monitored my calories and worked out 6 days a week. Very frustrating.

232167_600.jpg

231697_600.jpg
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    BUMP in for answers...I'm the same way.
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    Sorry for another post but I should probably add that according to 2 1/2 weeks of Fitbit data, my average calorie burn is 2127 which is very close to Scooby at 2134 and Hetybales at 2041.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    If you need any other information, please let me know. Thanks!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging. I lost power the past couple of days due to bad weather. Sara and I will get caught up on this one very soon.

Thanks for your patience.
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    No problem at all. I appreciate the guidance :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi!

Just to clarify, you say you have lost 8lb since March but then indicate that since April your weight has remained static.

From when in March was the 8lb lost - was this through April 22nd?
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    Here's my weight loss chart. I took a look at the overall trend yesterday and it is moving down. The frustrating part for me has been the three pounds that I seem to play around with each month. When I average everything out, it looks like I'm averaging a loss of about a 1/2 pound a month which I'm okay with. It just seems like such a struggle to get out of the 190's. The lowest I've been was last June when I got down to 191.8. Then I bounced around for awhile, go frustrated and put back on almost 13 pounds. It's not that I'm is a real hurry to get the weight off. I'd just like to be sure that I'm doing everything I can to maximize fat loss and muscle gain.

03/17/13 204.4
    03/24/13 201.4
    03/31/13 201.4
    04/07/13 201.4
    04/14/13 199.8
    04/22/13 198.6
    04/29/13 196
    05/06/13 197.8
    05/13/13 195.8
    05/20/13 199
    05/27/13 199
    06/03/13 195.8
    06/10/13 195.2
    06/17/13 198.2
    06/24/13 194.8
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Carbs: 173
    Fat: 63
    Protein 123

We would like to set your calorie intake to 1600 even.

Carbs: 125
    Fat: 65
    Protein: 125

You can exceed fat or protein while staying at your calorie intake by reducing carbohydrate further if you wish to.

Please follow up with us weekly, and let us know if you have any questions or issues.
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    Thank you! Just so I'm clear, that would mean that I eat 1600 no matter how many exercise calories I earn? I use a Fitbit which is currently adjusting my calories on MFP throughout the day.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Thank you! Just so I'm clear, that would mean that I eat 1600 no matter how many exercise calories I earn? I use a Fitbit which is currently adjusting my calories on MFP throughout the day.

Correct, do not eat back exercise calories.
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    Okey Dokey. Thanks again!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Unlocked at OPs request
  • bound4beauty
    Options

You can exceed fat or protein while staying at your calorie intake by reducing carbohydrate further if you wish to.

Please follow up with us weekly, and let us know if you have any questions or issues.

Last week was the first week I really got to follow this plan and I lost 1.6 pounds. Whoo Hooo! I am finding it a challenge to hit my macros though. It's not usually a problem to keep my calories at 1600 but I run our of carbs which then makes it hard to compose a meal or snack without eating just meat or fat since even fruit and veggies have carbs. I will keep at it though.

Thanks for the help!
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Nice one!
  • SideSteel
    Options

Last week was the first week I really got to follow this plan and I lost 1.6 pounds. Whoo Hooo! I am finding it a challenge to hit my macros though. It's not usually a problem to keep my calories at 1600 but I run our of carbs which then makes it hard to compose a meal or snack without eating just meat or fat since even fruit and veggies have carbs. I will keep at it though.

Thanks for the help!

Start logging your food in advance, prior to eating it. This should help to correct the above issue.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Locking for administrative purposes. Please PM either of us to unlock if you would like to update us.
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    Checking in again. I'm still discouraged with the lack of movement on the scale. I seem to be playing with the same couple of pounds again. I was 193.2 on July 8th but was 194 this morning. I'm doing fairly well meeting my overall calorie goal but do struggle some days on not going over in carbs. I had one weekend around my birthday on the 13th where I celebrated a little too much and didn't even bother to log for about 3 days. That would account for the gain that I'm still trying to get off. Here's an updated set of pictures. It's really hard for me to tell if I'm making much progress.

Should I make any changes to the original plan or just keep going? According to my Fitbit, I burn an average of at least 1800 calories a day but lately it's been closer to the 2000 range. That's just what Fitbit is tracking. I don't add any exercise and I'm not eating back any exercise calories.

232554_600.jpg

232445_600.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Can you keep gong with the current plan for another 2 weeks. I realize that the scale going back up is discouraging, but you did see an initial loss. Your calories were at 1,600 without those couple of days which likely were on the high side based on what you mention. They were probably pretty carby as well, and added to the fact that you are over carbs a bit in your diary (not too bad though so well done), this may well have had a bigger impact on your weight than your possible overage would indicate. However, it was your birthday, so you should have celebrated with cake!

Try to focus on the fact that you did lose weight at first when your calories were lower and so just try to keep on track going forward and hopefully you will see the losses start again.
This discussion has been closed.