Starting today - Keep me accountable !

Options
Alwayssohungry
Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
Naturally the hottest and humidest day of the summer so far, but bronchitis put me down for the past weeks beautiful cool mornings. Just gotta get the hubby off to work, lace up my new shoes and I'm off. I'm a little nervous. All through my planning and my slight delay I never thought I would not be able to do it. Now I'm not so sure.

EDIT: got so many excuses not to start today...

Replies

• tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Today is week 2 day 1 for me after many, many false starts. I lost track of how many times I said, "I'll start Sunday (or Monday)."
    Just go out and enjoy the fresh air. You'll feel so good after you do that you'll be impatient for the next day.
    Have fun and good luck!
  • Alwayssohungry
    Options
    I did it ! Only walked about 30 seconds when "that witch in the box" told me I should be running. Passed many other seasoned runners and knew that I would run that smoothly one day.

It's amazing how much shakes and jiggles up and down. I think everything shakes and jiggles - maybe when some of that stops I'll run a little smoother.

The most exhilarating and excruciating 30 minutes ! Glad there weren't any children around as I was cursing myself for even thinking about starting this, I cursed the makers of C25K, I cursed poor Adam who sold me my shoes, I cursed MFP for even telling me about C25K - I was blissfully ignorant.

So, I will be doing day 1 again to make up those 30 seconds I walked. Holy Crap !
  • destructor2013
    Options
    Best of luck to you. I started a month ago as of Thursday this week and I did W3D1 today. I repeated W1 twice because I couldn't get through any of the days when I first started. Then the second week of it I couldn't get through all 3 days. Finally on the 3rd week of it (second repeat of W1), I managed to get through all 3 days without many problems. Last week I did W2 without any problems and as I mentioned I started W3 today and finished with no real problems. I could feel my calves getting tired during the run but I kept going and did each interval fully and felt fine after I took a shower. W2 was the first week I didn't have to repeat at all. It'll get easier I promise. I have been basically sedentary at least half my life, maybe longer. I couldn't even get through the 30 seconds in W1. Today I did 3 minutes twice in W3D1. I started out ~100 lbs. overweight and have lost 12 lbs. so far. If I can do it, anyone can. I HATED exercise in any way, shape, or form my whole life. So don't be afraid to repeat days or weeks if you don't feel comfortable moving on. Your body will let you know when it's ready to move on.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Are you using the apps? I'm using the podcast...just did day one myself!
  • ambrosia282
    ambrosia282 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great job!

I started today as well. When my alarm went off at 4:45 I thought about staying in bed several times but I got my butt up! I was so proud of myself for completing it, it was a rush. I got to the see the sun rise, sweated like a mofo, and was ready for the day! Excited for Wednesday to do it all again!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Great job starting! It's the biggest milestone. When I started, EVERYTHING jiggled and sloshed. Then it all firmed up - I love how solid my legs are now. Just know that we all started out there and you'll notice a big difference by the end of the program!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Oh the jiggling. Things have definitely tightened up so the jiggling has lessened but there's still some jiggling going on. It is so great to hear others talk about their jiggling because when it happens you feel like you are the only one. In the 2+ months since I started the program it is amazing how much has tightened up reducing the jiggling effect. Thank you C25K program for that.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Sounds like its time for another round of Hey Fat Girl.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Options
    Ow - outer thighs and obliques owie. Weird the parts that jiggled the most hurt the most. I didn't expect the obliques to hurt. But parts I thought would hurt, calves and butt, don't hurt at all. And no blisters from the new shoes. I was really looking forward to using that as an excuse :). I wanted to do Day 2 today but I couldn't run this morning since I had to go to work early to help get a bike tour on their way AND it is supposed to be in the 90's by this afternoon. I'd rather wait until tomorrow when it cools down than run today and get discouraged when I can't do it.

So tomorrow, bright and early, DAY 2 !
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    LOL @ 'witch in a box" too funny!!

Don't over do it right out of the gates. give yourself the recovery days, even in the beginning, you're newly used muscles need them. I made the mistake of running 2 days in a row in the beginning & ended up giving myself a sore ankle for a few days.

If you're using an app and are looking for some good music, I highly recommend Songza. You can pick songs that go well with running/ cardio & the genre you prefer that way you get a lot of songs you really like. I've tried the podcasts but they all had really techno/dancey music and I"m more of a country girl. :)

best of luck! I'm perpetually on week 5, welcome to the herd!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    If your obliques hurt, you're doing it right.

Krista - if you're still on week 5, you need to slow way down. If you're repeating days that you've completed because you don't think you've done them "well enough" you probably need to move on. Don't get bogged down. You're totally capable of progressing - you just need to give yourself the space to do it.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Options
    Week One Day Two - only missed about 15 seconds of the "***** in the Box" barking orders. Very humid out and realized shorter breaths helped. Finding my pace. Weird that on the second to last run I get very sloppy and a little concerned that I might trip. Insert curse to Adam who sold me my new shoes. Obliques and thigh pain eased up. I am now recalling my high school shin splints, but a little Tiger Balm and some foam roller will take care of those.

Well sh*ts and giggles who knew I would feel this good...
  • salobrau
    salobrau Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I hurt before the run but after the 30 minutes are up I feel great. Got to love the endorphins or whatever the brain releases after exercise. On to week 2. Perhaps i'll come out of the 'treadmill' closet and try running outside where everyone can see me. Don't like my jiggly bits in public.????
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Krista - if you're still on week 5, you need to slow way down. If you're repeating days that you've completed because you don't think you've done them "well enough" you probably need to move on. Don't get bogged down. You're totally capable of progressing - you just need to give yourself the space to do it.

I honestly couldn't go any slower. I'm walking & running at the same speed now. I've had to adjust my puffers lately & I'm having trouble with my heart rate racing due to the puffers. I just started a new one this week so I'm hoping it will help. Its not that I don't think I'm doing it well enough, but if I can't run longer than 10-12 minutes I'm not going to go to week 6 without completely the 20 minute run. Every time I do it I get a little further so I will just plug on. I'm only competing with myself so I'm in no hurry. :)
  • likitisplit
    Options

I honestly couldn't go any slower. I'm walking & running at the same speed now. I've had to adjust my puffers lately & I'm having trouble with my heart rate racing due to the puffers. I just started a new one this week so I'm hoping it will help. Its not that I don't think I'm doing it well enough, but if I can't run longer than 10-12 minutes I'm not going to go to week 6 without completely the 20 minute run. Every time I do it I get a little further so I will just plug on. I'm only competing with myself so I'm in no hurry. :)

That makes a lot of sense. I've noticed that my asthma has gotten a lot better since starting running. It just takes people like us a bit longer to get the cardio fitness to move on. I just don't want to see ANYBODY give up because they aren't feeling like they're progressing. Since you know you're still moving ahead, I'm happy to cheer you on. That really is a big challenge to surmount and it's impressive that you're sticking to it. You go!
  • Alwayssohungry
    Options
    W1D3 - ok this day kicked my butt. 12 seconds shy of completion and my brain quit on me. I thought we were done and the '***** in the box' tells me to run once more. Bad brain - bad. You're not done til BITB says so.

Calves really ache this time, but I have really big calves so I prefer to think of it as fat ripping off. When I walked home from work yesterday they started to tighten up so I stretched them out this morning, but they still ache. Obliques only hurt the first day. Thighs right above the knees ache a little, but again I like to think of it as fat ripping away.

Week Two is looking scary :(
  • ambrosia282
    ambrosia282 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I thought week 2 looked scary too! I completed the 1st day today and it wasn't so bad. I think I'm actually starting to like this!
  • vanlyons
    vanlyons Posts: 4
    Options
    I started week 1 and could only complete 5 out of the 8 runs. I had shin splints pretty bad so last week I did week 1 again but on a stationary bike. I'm going to go back this week and try week 1 again and I hope to finish all 8 this week. I hate the BITB.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Options
    Week2 Day1 - not as bad as I expected. Lost about 20 seconds in the fifth run, but am it up in the last. BITB was not going to beat me although she seems to have gotten a bit more sadistic.

Calves were screaming today...about half way my right leg started to turn out halfway to duck walk and my left heal started slapping my right calf - which I thought was odd. I had to really concentrate to keep it straight.

Still working with the 'mortally wounded charging water buffalo' breathing method.

I may rest an extra day to give the calves a little rest. No sense running if you can't push off without pain.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Options
    After a two and a half week heat wave I'm back. Re-did W1D3 and did it all perfectly, no missed seconds at all. So that's what a good run feels like, I like that. Calf pain also cleared up in those two weeks so everything felt good and I'm pretty sure I passed one other person doing the C25K.