You know what I hate.................You know what I hate

Options

Replies

• KathryneJY
    KathryneJY Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I love my drill sargeant aquacize instructor (300 cals in 45 minutes! woot), and screw you anti aquacize people (I'm just kidding!)

20 minutes of breaststroke will burn the same number of cals, and us anti aquacize people will respect you more, too.

Ah, but I do that too! 750-1000m before my class. For me, 20 mins of breast stroke will burn only about 150 cals, at least according to my HRM. Plus I do a 2000m swim on Sundays. Jus because I go to aquacize class, doesn't mean I don't swim!
    :)
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    For me, 20 mins of breast stroke will burn only about 150 cals, at least according to my HRM.
    [/quote]

Swim harder. ;)
  • KathryneJY
    Options
    For me, 20 mins of breast stroke will burn only about 150 cals, at least according to my HRM.

Swim harder. ;)
    [/quote]

OK, I will! ;)
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Ah, but I do that too! 750-1000m before my class. For me, 20 mins of breast stroke will burn only about 150 cals, at least according to my HRM. Plus I do a 2000m swim on Sundays. Jus because I go to aquacize class, doesn't mean I don't swim!
    :)

I really try to swim before class, but it's hard to get away from work most days to be there before the pool. Swimming is far more cardio, hands down. I've tried laps after class but it kills me. Now I've decided that if I can't get there in time to do both, I'm just doing my laps.
  • KathryneJY
    Options
    Based on my HRM, I do find that the MFP calorie burn estimates for lap swimming are overstated and I only ever log moderate effort which for me is 1000m in 25 mins. I average about 200 cals in 25 mins, which is about 20% less than MFP estimates. For my aquacize, I burn about 300 cals in 45 minutes, but the last 10 minutes are ab work and cool down at a lower heart rate. MFP underestimates aquacize by about 25% but I think that's mainly because there are a lot of variables to aquacize. My classes are about 25% water running against current and intervals, and not just in-place calesthetics.
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Swimming newbie here.

I swim at our university's pool. As far as I can tell, the lanes are fairly mixed when people share them. Meaning, the fast swimmers share, and the slow swimmers share, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which lanes they end up in. From left to right, I'll see something like medium, slow, fast, medium, fast. It's kind of a jumble.

Is there any way to tell which lanes are "fast" and which are "slow"? Do they have different lane markers? I'm really good at staying on my side of the lane and only do a front crawl when sharing, but I don't want to be stupid and get into the wrong lane.

And by slow, I mean I'm REALLY slow. I just started, and I weigh around 300 pounds, so it took me an hour to swim a half-mile yesterday. I'm sure that will improve in time and with more weight loss, but I feel like such an idiot when I'm surrounded by a bunch of people doing 20-minute miles. ;)
  • ElBence
    Options
    Swimming newbie here.

I swim at our university's pool. As far as I can tell, the lanes are fairly mixed when people share them. Meaning, the fast swimmers share, and the slow swimmers share, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which lanes they end up in. From left to right, I'll see something like medium, slow, fast, medium, fast. It's kind of a jumble.

Is there any way to tell which lanes are "fast" and which are "slow"? Do they have different lane markers? I'm really good at staying on my side of the lane and only do a front crawl when sharing, but I don't want to be stupid and get into the wrong lane.

And by slow, I mean I'm REALLY slow. I just started, and I weigh around 300 pounds, so it took me an hour to swim a half-mile yesterday. I'm sure that will improve in time and with more weight loss, but I feel like such an idiot when I'm surrounded by a bunch of people doing 20-minute miles. ;)

Different pools have different rules, written or unwritten. Sometimes lane speeds will be marked. If they are not, these are some good default rules to go by. If you're in doubt, go with what you've observed to be the slow lane before. If you must share a lane because all lanes are full, find the swimmer(s) most comparable to your speed and join them.

In a team setting with six lanes, the lanes being numbered from one to six left to right from the shallow end, the breakdown goes: 1,6 - slow, 2,5 - medium, and 3,4 fast. The idea is that the more removed from a wall a swimmer is, the more preferable the swimming condition. The reason for that is that there is less water rebounding off the wall and chopping up the water in the lane on the inside. I'm not sure why the faster swimmers get preferable conditions, but it's pretty standard. Even in the Olympics, the fastest time trial swimmers get the inside lanes. If you're first in the pool, or some lanes have filled up, pick a wall lane, and I'm sure you'll be just fine. If the wall lanes are taken, and everybody is going fast, and there's an open lane in the middle, it's on them for picking a wall lane. Enjoy the middle lane then.

If you find yourself outside of any of the above scenarios, ask the lifeguard. If there are designated lanes for speeds, but they aren't marked, s/he can help you. If all else fails, obey the rules in the link below (might be helpful to read the comments too), and anybody who gets upset with you for adhering to those rules is a straight up jerk.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Swimming/comments/mrw88/mainset_of_the_week_actually_its_probably/
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'm not fast either. When I'm swimming at a roped pool, I tend to gravitate to a middle lane, because our pool has a cross current, which is stronger at both sides. I always ask the swimmer before I join. I've never had anyone say no yet. :smile:

Swimmers unite. I try to stay our of lanes with people doing a back float with no goggles, so that I don't splash them. I've also asked the lifeguard which lanes are likely o be done first.
  • xjoseyx
    xjoseyx Posts: 74
    Options
    I hate when people can see me swimming my laps, ok, not fast (my pool doesnt have slow, medium or fast lanes) but steadily and Im in the zone and they swim beside me and talk to me and I get out of the groove and slow down.

I also hate the guy that swims laps and is a mega splasher! He whacks his arm into the water open palmed when doing over arm. Its loud and annoying.
  • ElBence
    Options

I also hate the guy that swims laps and is a mega splasher! He whacks his arm into the water open palmed when doing over arm. Its loud and annoying.

I can be a bit of a mega splasher sometimes, but only on Fast Fridays, and not the way you explained it. Every Friday I sprint a lap to see how fast I can go. I get a good kick going, and I feel like I'm splashing a lot. I try to choose a time to sprint when there aren't others in the lane next to me, though.
  • yinkyo
    yinkyo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I hate when there are 2 FREAKING POOLS, one for lap swimming and one for open/family swim, and the open family swim is completely empty and yet there are 5 boys playing catch or monkey in the middle, or whatever the crap they were playing, in the lane next to me in the lap pool. especially when they suck at catching and they had to continuously enter my lane for a wayward ball.

I hate when old ladies can't smell their own crappy perfume, and almost drown me halfway down the length of the pool with their "atmosphere."

I hate how I can only swim for half an hour, because the hubby can't handle watching the baby >_< (i gues that's not a pool thing though xD)

I hate the guy who is swims regularly (like every day?), but seems to swim like 10 minutes, talk to the lifeguards for 20, get free tips from them, but never really seems to utilize them... and never seems to do very much swimming. But always seems like he's trying to race me with his big splashy "athletic" self. wow, you can swim faster than a 240lb chick... good for you! >_<

I hate when people leave their shaving crap in the showers... seriously... you should do that stuff at home... and even worse, you just left it behind so I KNOW you were shaving... eww.

I hate when I'm on my way to the pool, and realize I have to pee, but I'm barefoot, so I make the trek back to my lockers to get my shoes, go to the bathroom, and then back to my lockers to put my shoes back to go to the showers... it's so annoying xD

I hate when the bathing suit dryer is broken and I wind up bringing home a sopping wet suit in my bag. Also when my little bottles of shampoo or conditioner burst in my bag >_< blech.

I do love my Y, every one is so friendly, and ready to help if you need it.
  • ElBence
    Options
    I hate when there are 2 FREAKING POOLS, one for lap swimming and one for open/family swim, and the open family swim is completely empty and yet there are 5 boys playing catch or monkey in the middle, or whatever the crap they were playing, in the lane next to me in the lap pool. especially when they suck at catching and they had to continuously enter my lane for a wayward ball.

I hate when old ladies can't smell their own crappy perfume, and almost drown me halfway down the length of the pool with their "atmosphere."

A-freaking-men to that
    I hate when I'm on my way to the pool, and realize I have to pee, but I'm barefoot, so I make the trek back to my lockers to get my shoes, go to the bathroom, and then back to my lockers to put my shoes back to go to the showers... it's so annoying xD

See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfhv6NWWJI If it's good enough for Missy, Natalie, and Tyler, it's good enough for you.
  • maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I hate it when you hop in the spa afterwards to relax and can't un-see the man/silverback gorilla stretching it out in his two sizes too small speedo that leaves nothing to the imagination.

I hate it when some try-hard decides to dive/bellyflop into the medium lane of the pool almost on top of you as you are about to tumble-turn to do another lap, and you have to swim behind him slowly whilst watching him scissor kick his way slowly up the pool in a swarm of bubbles (although the bubbles feel nice) only to get out and hop in the spa again.

Plus the standard hate of people slowly doing breaststroke or backstroke (usually zig-zagging at a snail pace) in the medium lane.

I LOVE a spa, but hate it when it's full of guys and decide to be brave and get in anyway, only to have awkward conversations (although sometimes I have really good conversations, and that can be fun, although still awkward as I'm sure some of them think I'm chatting them up)
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a common issue is that people are having difficulty setting limits with people who lack boundaries. True, in a pool those guys do all kinds of rude things. But getting mad and filling yourself with resentment isn't the answer, nor is sulking about it afterwards. Give them a correction. Politely, but physically. Let them know you are not a sheep; you are a predator. In some cases that might involve swimming over the top of their *kitten*. And then you can let go of all the anger and resentment and go back to having a good workout in the happy knowledge that they'll think twice about doing that again.
  • matthew_b
    Options
    If I lap swim during the open swim time, I know I'm going to get lots of yahoos in the pool and plan on not getting a hard workout in that time.

If somebody is going slow enough, I'll catch my breath behind them and then dive and pass under them and keep going past them.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I hate it when I'm in the middle of a swim set, taking 10secs on the wall or whatever, and someone stops to strike up a conversation. Just because we are in the same pool doesn't mean I have time to converse! I'm on a timed interval and panting goddamnit! :grumble:

/end rant

1. Don't make eye contact.
    2. They'll assume you have ear plugs in and can't hear them.

Now you know my secret formula.

I try. I have tinted goggles and just look at the clock or forward in my lane, and someone always manages to get a word in!!!!!!!

:noway:
  • onwarddownward
    Options
    I just give thumbs up or something and keep swimming. My kids are in the hotel pool with me and they always want to talk. I just keep waving or giving a thumbs up.
  • matthew_b
    Options
    You know what I hate............

I hate that larger ladies don't realize the implication of buoyancy vs. gravity that fat has. That the swimsuit that is tight down below on land isn't tight when the fat floats up instead of hangs down. That in some cases the bottom of their suit is 6" away from their ahem... lady bits.... and the leg openings are showing everything.

I hate it when ladies that are like that are doing walking laps on the shallow end in the lane right next to me.

I further hate the fact that I swim at least 200 days a year, and while the large ladies are showing off all the freaking time, not ONCE has one of the fit ladies had a wardrobe malfunction.
  • onwarddownward
    Options

I hate that larger ladies don't realize the implication of buoyancy vs. gravity that fat has. That the swimsuit that is tight down below on land isn't tight when the fat floats up instead of hangs down. That in some cases the bottom of their suit is 6" away from their ahem... lady bits.... and the leg openings are showing everything.

I hate it when ladies that are like that are doing walking laps on the shallow end in the lane right next to me.

I further hate the fact that I swim at least 200 days a year, and while the large ladies are showing off all the freaking time, not ONCE has one of the fit ladies had a wardrobe malfunction.

Why don't you tell them? "Ahem, madam, your coin purse is open..."
  • xjoseyx
    xjoseyx Posts: 74
    Options

Why don't you tell them? "Ahem, madam, your coin purse is open..."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I hate when the large therapy pool is empty yet there are 3 lanes of the laps pool with people with foam dumbbells and noodles. get that **** outta here!

i also hate when someone asks if we can share a lane and then they "swim" - like the jellyfish style mentioned before in this thread, and jog back to the start. You could easily do this again in the therapy pool. Its big enough.