The endless plateau

Options
graysmom2005
graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
Hi everyone. This is SUCH an informative site, and I'd love to throw my situation in and see if anything stands out.

Provide your stats (height/weight/age/bodyfat% if you know it/etc) I'm a 33 year old woman. I'm 5ft 6in. Bounce from 149-153. Bodyfat according to scale is 22%

What's your current gross intake of calories, on average? During the week I range from 1400-1700 calories Weekends will be 2000+ one or two days

What's your current average intake of protein, carbs, and fats, in grams? (GRAMS, not percent!) I have been just focusing on keeping carbs under 100g most days. The rest to fall as it may as long as the protein is covered. I need to focus on fats more.

Do you use a food scale and measure everything? I do use a food scale, as well as spoons/cups for creamer/dressing/veggies

Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?) Yes. For years in an OCD fashion. The only time a meal is missed it when out at a restaurant and I have no idea.

Do you take cheat days or days off? Not scheduled. I keep things insanely tight during the week, with larger than probably should be deficits. Then I will have one or two meals on the weekend that I just enjoy with my family.

How much weight have you lost so far and over what time period? 3 years ago I lost 40 pounds. I gained a few back when I started teaching Bodypump (pretty sure it's muscle as I'm much more defined now) but my body refuses to get lower than 150 for the most part unless my carbs/calories are very low.

Describe your activity (exercise and non exercise) and did you change that activity withing the last couple of months? I am a fitness instructor and I teach 7-9+ classes a week. Spin, Bodypump (low weight/high rep), Bodycombat (mixed marital arts cardio), Sh'bam (dance cardio) Bodyflow (yoga/tai chi/pilates blend). I have two little boys and I'm a stay at home mom other than teaching. So I just move around typically from errands, shopping, cleaning.

How long have you been stalled and if it is not a complete stall please be very specific as to how much you have lost over the stalled period. I have been stalled around this point for over 2 years. I got down to 148 or so when going very low carb/calorie but if I have a single proper meal or don't keep things insanely tight the 3-5 pounds come right back. I bounce and bounce, and bounce.

Are you breastfeeding? no

Do you have thyroid issues/risks or PCOS? no, but although my hormone levels come back perfectly every time, my periods have become very erratic. 72 days between cycles this past time. Dr isn't concerned, but that can't be right...can it?

I read the you might be eating more...and I am honest that there are a couple of tiny bites here and there that I can't seem to add...like a tiny nibble of my son's bagel, or licking the pb knife...I know these can add up but they are really teeny tiny and my deficit should still be there big time. I'm not clueless and not paying attention...PROMISE. Any insight would be wonderful. Thank you!!

Replies

• graysmom2005
    Options
    ALSO wanted to add....last year I got a Bodymedia and it had me averaging with over a months worth of data 3000K a day. I did the EM2WL thing while doing this and put on 11 pounds in 7 weeks. (Eating around 2500 a day). So I bailed.

I did have a HRM which died, and last week started using a Fitbit. I have my calories set to 1500 or so and then if I go over what my fitbit thinks I should be doing on an average day it automatically adds in the calories. :-)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    all i can say is i've been where you are.... and was there for over 2 years. i finally just lowered my calories and let go of a lot of cardio. i still do cardio, but in the form of nice long, hilly walks. occassionally, i've hop of the treadmill for 45 mins or the elliptical. i mainly do vinyasa/power yoga -- 4-6x a week (i am in instructor). for me, the eating more thing resulted in weighing more -- and not all in muscle. i just gained weight and inches overall. i had a BMF, gained 5 lbs. in a couple of months. Fitbit, same thing.

now i don't track my meals/food. i eat intuitively, but lightly. i keep a general running tab of calories in my head and generally don't go over 14-1500 a day...usually end up around 1200. i eat very clean for the most part. i have a MS in Nutrition so i know what i am eating -- even when i shouldn't!

i am now down to 130# and i'm 5'7", medium frame. i'm older...43 years old and have had 4 children. i am a LOT happier with the way i look and feel. i honestly feel amazing and am getting my body back to how i prefer it.

it's been such a long process for me here on MFP. when i first started here, i *gained* with all of the exercise calorie tracking and meticulous food tracking -- trying to meet my 'goal'.

anyhow, i wish you luck.... overall i would suggest keeping your cals on the lower end of healthy for you and see what happens. i may get backlash for this, but its what has worked for me -- and has always worked for me.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    norcal we had very similar experiences I think. I would LOVE to be around 130-140. It seems actually impossible at this stage. I feel like short of being unhealthy I can't do any more. It makes me feel very powerless. If I could hold back on the cardio I would...but it's my job. LOL. I did hot yoga last night for some me time and I was so sore this morning! :-)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Sorry I didn't get back to your PM's regarding this. I'll have a chat with Sara over the next few days regarding your situation and we will get back to you.
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    can you post back here as well Steel? I am the almost the same exact stats as her...I'm very curious to see what you come up with. :)
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    Sorry I didn't get back to your PM's regarding this. I'll have a chat with Sara over the next few days regarding your situation and we will get back to you.

can you post back here as well Steel? I am the almost the same exact stats as her...I'm very curious to see what you come up with. :)
  • SideSteel
    Options

We will post back to this thread but as with all of these plateau threads, the information we provide is not intended for anyone other than the original poster.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    norcal we had very similar experiences I think. I would LOVE to be around 130-140. It seems actually impossible at this stage. I feel like short of being unhealthy I can't do any more. It makes me feel very powerless. If I could hold back on the cardio I would...but it's my job. LOL. I did hot yoga last night for some me time and I was so sore this morning! :-)

I saw your post in Steve Troutman's thread but I didn't see your follow-up with him.

I believe he asked you when the last time was that you took a diet break. 1 to 2 weeks at maintenance cals.

This is not my suggestion (yet) as I am just gathering info, but can you let us know on the above.

Thanks
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    all i can say is i've been where you are.... and was there for over 2 years. i finally just lowered my calories and let go of a lot of cardio. i still do cardio, but in the form of nice long, hilly walks. occassionally, i've hop of the treadmill for 45 mins or the elliptical. i mainly do vinyasa/power yoga -- 4-6x a week (i am in instructor). for me, the eating more thing resulted in weighing more -- and not all in muscle. i just gained weight and inches overall. i had a BMF, gained 5 lbs. in a couple of months. Fitbit, same thing.

now i don't track my meals/food. i eat intuitively, but lightly. i keep a general running tab of calories in my head and generally don't go over 14-1500 a day...usually end up around 1200. i eat very clean for the most part. i have a MS in Nutrition so i know what i am eating -- even when i shouldn't!

i am now down to 130# and i'm 5'7", medium frame. i'm older...43 years old and have had 4 children. i am a LOT happier with the way i look and feel. i honestly feel amazing and am getting my body back to how i prefer it.

it's been such a long process for me here on MFP. when i first started here, i *gained* with all of the exercise calorie tracking and meticulous food tracking -- trying to meet my 'goal'.

anyhow, i wish you luck.... overall i would suggest keeping your cals on the lower end of healthy for you and see what happens. i may get backlash for this, but its what has worked for me -- and has always worked for me.

Hi! Showing support is great and thank you for that, but we ask people not to give intake advice so the OP does not get the conflicting information you see on the main forums.

The guidelines regarding contributing to threads are laid out here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/861596-please-read
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Hey Steel! I got wrapped up in mommy world and felt I lost track of the thread!

I went to Las Vegas for 5 days last month. Didn't workout except for lots of walking and one hike (did get food poisoning one day...blech) and didn't log much. Did what I could...but certainly was at TDEE if not more with Vegas food.

I have been nervous to do any "diet break" after the EM2WL experiment as I gained inches SO quickly and felt like garbage...especially being in front of a group of people who notice quickly when I've gained/lost....BUT if that ends up being the ultimate advice, I will put my big girl pants on. :-)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    How long ago did you up your calories to the 2,500 and how quickly did the extra weight come off? At what intake was that at?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Re you cycle. It is pretty common to have your cycle disrupted with exercise, diet and leanness.
  • alexandraleaden
    Options

I saw your post in Steve Troutman's thread but I didn't see your follow-up with him.

I believe he asked you when the last time was that you took a diet break. 1 to 2 weeks at maintenance cals.

This is not my suggestion (yet) as I am just gathering info, but can you let us know on the above.

Thanks

totally understood ;) Thanks!
  • alexandraleaden
    Options

We will post back to this thread but as with all of these plateau threads, the information we provide is not intended for anyone other than the original poster.

totally understood ;) Thanks!
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    so sorry guys i'm screwing this up, I meant to quote steel and did the wrong one - sorry for making it all ugly in here!
  • SideSteel
    Options

Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?) Yes. For years in an OCD fashion. The only time a meal is missed it when out at a restaurant and I have no idea.

How often do you go out to eat per week and I'm assuming you do not log these meals?
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    How long ago did you up your calories to the 2,500 and how quickly did the extra weight come off? At what intake was that at?
    I did this last Summer. It did NOT come off quickly. It was super frustrating. It wasn't until I met with a trainer who put me on 1500 a day and had me watch carbs/sugar that it slowly started coming off. I then did a challenge with my company to get ready for a filming I did for Les Mills Combat. It was lean proteins and veggies mostly.
  • graysmom2005
    Options

How often do you go out to eat per week and I'm assuming you do not log these meals?
    I would say probably 2 times a week. My husband and I will get thai food friday night, and the family will go out for lunch or dinner on Saturday or Sunday. I almost always log it as best I can if no nutritional info is around. I lean towards places that do have their stuff online and I order ahead of time in my head. :-) If we do go out to eat, I still try and keep it right 95% of the time. I'll order a salad with no croutons/cheese etc and just get oil and vinegar for dressing. It's slightly exhausting at times when I don't see any change, and I'm THIS focused on making the right choices. Then RARELY I'll go totally off the grid like last Friday. My family and I went to a new fried chicken and donuts restaurant. LOL. But considering my workouts and diet the entire rest of the week...I would like to think one big meal wouldn't kill it. If wishes were fishes?
  • SideSteel
    Options

I would say probably 2 times a week. My husband and I will get thai food friday night, and the family will go out for lunch or dinner on Saturday or Sunday. I almost always log it as best I can if no nutritional info is around. I lean towards places that do have their stuff online and I order ahead of time in my head. :-) If we do go out to eat, I still try and keep it right 95% of the time. I'll order a salad with no croutons/cheese etc and just get oil and vinegar for dressing. It's slightly exhausting at times when I don't see any change, and I'm THIS focused on making the right choices. Then RARELY I'll go totally off the grid like last Friday. My family and I went to a new fried chicken and donuts restaurant. LOL. But considering my workouts and diet the entire rest of the week...I would like to think one big meal wouldn't kill it. If wishes were fishes?

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting to stop going out to eat, I'm just looking carefully at factors that impact your total intake.

Now, if you consider 2 restaurant meals per week and little bites of things here and there that, while small, go unlogged, this could easily amount to a few hundred calories. For a small/lean woman, a few hundred calories could potentially eat up some/all of your deficit.

We're looking at a few other things as well before we come up with suggestions. More questions to come from us most likely.