What's the one Southern food you had to give up?

Options

Replies

• angelbear12870
    Options
    I have given up sweet tea, oh and it has been soooooooo hard. the only reason I did was because I am diabetic and true southern tea has way to much sugar in it. I am still saddened by this after 2 and a half years. :(
  • shortie4ever
    shortie4ever Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My favorite dish: chicken fried steak or homemade fried chicken with mash potatoes and homemade gravy and rolls don't forget the sweet tea!!

But.. Ill stick to my salad lol big difference !!
  • FettsLady
    FettsLady Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I haven't 'given up' anything...I have DEFINITELY cut back on just about everything. Love fried chicken, mashed potatoes, every type of pasta imaginable...I still make huge pots of collards and you had better believe there is a ham hock in with it! We eat more of the 'good stuff' and less of the 'not so fantastic for my waistline stuff' LOL
  • Steph_in_FL
    Options
    Well, I have not given up a thing, but I don't eat them as often. My favorite food -- fried pork chops -- gets put on the menu once a month, come hell or high water. I'll work out and starve for two days to be able to have those with mashed potatoes and sweet peas. I refuse to give up fried chicken too.

Seriously, all I've done is cut out some of the unhealthy ingredients in those foods. I fry my pork chops and chicken in coconut oil now (yummy!) and add ButterBuds to my mashed potatoes. I still make my biscuits, but not with lard like my mama did. Concessions, concessions, concessions - but you know what? Every once in awhile, I just cook things the way I want and make up for it later.
  • Steph_in_FL
    Options
    ...r.
    Putting ranch dressing on EVERYTHING!

I know!!! I am working on my last bottle of ranch dressing, and it's breaking my heart! I can't imagine eating raw veggies without it.
  • Pebbles91909
    Options
    I haven't given up any of my favorite Southern foods, I just don't eat them as much as I did in the past. One of my favorite dishes is rice and cheese. I very seldom make it because I know if I do I may eat the entire pot full.
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I had to give them all up, because they are not available here in Korea. I miss my southern food. :-(
  • jaclynnnacolee
    Options
    Sweet tea ! I am addicted to sweet tea. especially McDonald sweet tea for some reason? I used to drink one everyday sometimes twice a day. i had to stop lol I still find myself craving them like crazy and every now and then ill get one when i havent ate too many calories that day
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Cornbread :sad: and corn pudding :cry:

I love cornbread more than should be healthy.

And barbeque. Oh delicious barbeque.

I'm sure I could allow myself to eat tiny amounts of these things. But realistically I should avoid them at all costs.

And fried chicken. And biscuits. And mashed potatoes and gravy. And biscuits and gravy. The list goes on and on.
  • laceyhyman97
    Options
    None :) I sill drink my Sweet Tea Have my biscuits and mama's homemade fried chicken! But Always in moderation!
  • AngelicValkyrie
    Options
    The list is endless....but I had to give up Biscuits and Gravy. I use to make them at least 2 times a week. Once on the week-end for breakfast...and then 1 night a week for "breakfast for dinner". Now I treat myself 2 or 3 times a year...usually a holiday.
    I <3 biscuit and gravy.
    I would say corn bread for me
  • BlessedBe23
    BlessedBe23 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Before I started on here I had already quit eating pork and beef (for humane reasons). The things I miss the most are bacon (it's the gateway meat) and country fried steak with milk gravy. I have craved it sooo badly. I've only been tracking my food for about two weeks now and haven't had to face the temptation of fried chicken and mac and cheese yet, but I think I'll just have to allow myself to have them every now and then. The good thing is I'm a food snob so I'm never tempted to roll through a drive through to get a lot of the stuff, but next dinner at my momma's house, I'll have to have a taste :love:
  • mscountrygirl39456
    mscountrygirl39456 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If I have given up any thing it is SWEET TEA......and I mean sweet..... 2 cups of sugar to a gallon....
    I'll get unsweetened tea and put 2 packs of sugar in it or 2 sweet n lows........

I haven't really gave up any foods, I just watch my portion sizes, and I do ok.......
  • MommaSherryB
    MommaSherryB Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Mounds Cake - My older sister used to make it for my birthday and it is so rich with chocolate and coconut. I used to nearly starve all day so I could eat a huge piece of that cake.

And I had to drop the sweet tea.

As you can guess, lifelong habit of too much sugar, kept my glucose up and helped pile on the weight.
  • Whereismycoffee
    Whereismycoffee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I so miss my sweet tea, corn bread, chicken an dumplings, biscuits and gravy, and any of the world famous desserts. Dump cakes and fried green tomatoes. So many southern things I miss, but I am working figuring out substitutions but some how its just not the same as the version handed down from great grandma.

Sigh... think I am makin' myself hungry here.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I've really cut way back on eating since joining MFP are biscuits. I'll eat them, but not nearly as often as before. Honestly, I could live off of biscuits with real butter and strawberry preserves. The carbs and fat are just too high.

I gave up soft drinks and other sweetened beverages about 15 years ago. Water is my drink of choice now. I do have coffee in the morning and water the rest of the time. I drink tea once in a blue moon and drink alcoholic beverages at social occasions. But whatever I eat or drink gets logged.

edited for spelling.
  • iwillsee145
    iwillsee145 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My favorite Cracker Barrel meal: Country Fried Steak with Gravy, Hash Brown Casserole, Fried Okra, Green Beans and Corn Muffins.
  • SandySassy
    SandySassy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's it for me... sweet tea!!!! OMGOODNESS my grandma and mom are rolling over in their grave!!! LOL.. I still make it for my family.. I am thinking on a very special occasion one glass will be a very wonderful treat! But Im not at any milestone to have a special treat! LOL
  • christa0130
    christa0130 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Cornbread, biscuits, and gravy. I am not and will never give up my sweet tea!!!
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Sweet tea and fried chicken