Introductions

Options

Replies

• errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Erika, and I just discovered my love of running this past February. I used to think I hated running, but I'm pretty sure that was only from a few traumatic experiences running the mile in elementary school and the fact that when I did run, I used a treadmill (ugh). I'm training for my first marathon (September 8th) and am finally getting up there in mileage.

Unfortunately, my IT band has been killing me for the last week, out of nowhere! I only made it out a mile before I had to limp back home on both Saturday and Sunday. I'm taking a couple days off to do some good stretching and I'm starting to do some hip strength exercises, so hopefully I can get back on track soon. I've been pretty grumpy since then, so I need to get back out there. I'm pretty surprised at how much I love this sport!
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My name is Sara, I am a newlywed and my husband and I are both runners. Our preferred race distance is a half marathon.

On our first date in January 2011, my husband told me about his goal to run a half marathon in every state. He probably expected my response to be somewhere in between "that's nice" and "That's crazy!" My response: "that's cool. I have run 4 half marathons: I have done the mini twice (in reference to the Indy Mini, a local race that is also the largest half in the nation), a half in my hometown up in Michigan, and one in Utah."

Now I have run a total of 22 half marathons in 13 different states. My husband has done 30 half marathons in 20 different states.

I am trying to drop weight and be one a faster runner. I am still fat and slow, but I have been successfully getting faster. My current PR is 2:36:04. A year ago it was 2:46:51 and 2 years ago it was 2:54:15. Hopefully I can be below 2:30 by this time next year, or even this fall!
  • pbtennis
    pbtennis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, Im new to MFP and like the idea of the running support group because it is easy for me to get distracted doing something else! I ran a half in may and am looking to improve more this October in a Rock and Roll!
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I've been running for a while, I did my first half a year ago and three more since,
    Completing the spartan race trifecta at the moment, and then I'm jumping into a 16 week program starting on July 29th and finishing at the Phili marathon for my first full distance.

I'm here for to get some advice and info when needed, but so far, so good :)
    My goals are to get faster (1:48 PR for the half) as I want to run under 3:30 (assuming everything goes well)
    I'm 33, so that should not be too out of reach but it wont be easy either.
  • mellorunner
    Options
    Hola

I've been running distance since my sophomore year of high school when I joined my schools cross country team. Currently am running collegiately (DII) and looking to drop a few pounds and keep them off as part of the push to make that next level. Right now I mostly race 3k/5k/8k but will be moving up to the 10k on the track pretty soon. After college I'm looking to transition into high mileage HM training, and maybe take a crack at the marathon, if I don't shift into racewalk and try to hit the OT qualifier in the 50km.
  • AliBuffer
    AliBuffer Posts: 9
    Options
    Alicia :)

When I was younger I ran track in school and have just ran 3ish miles, a few times a week, for exercise since. I started running competitively this year, as a plan to get healthy as we prepare to try for a baby (and bc I know your life gets crazy busy after children. So my thought is: now or never!!)

I've ran multiple 5ks, and ran my first HM this past month in Dallas. LOVED it.

No baby yet, so I've signed up for my first full marathon this October!! Very excited and hope to get some motivation and maybe a few running pards from this group
  • seizethefray
    seizethefray Posts: 109
    Options
    Glad I accidentally stumbled upon this group! I've read a few of the introductions--y'all are an inspiring bunch.

I'm Heather. I grew up in Phoenix, AZ and now live in San Diego where it's always a gorgeous day for a run (read--no excuses!). I've lost about 25 lbs with MFP and plan to lose about 10 more. I'm quite positive the lighter you are, the faster you run. ;) At least I hope so. Like a lot of you, I never enjoyed running in the past but after a freak encounter with the treadmill one night in the gym (the elliptical was boring me to tears), I decided--what the hell, I'd run. I sucked. I was slow. The next night I got back on and tried to go a little further a little faster and when I succeeded, the rest became history.

I have a handful of 5ks under my belt but seeing as how a lot of them are almost as expensive as half marathons, I've decided to focus on the larger races. I finished my first half in March @ 2:26:26 and am registered for the Los Angeles Rock n Roll Half in October and the Carlsbad Marathon (woohoo!) in January.

Nice to meet you all! xo
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Glad I accidentally stumbled upon this group! I've read a few of the introductions--y'all are an inspiring bunch.

I'm Heather. I grew up in Phoenix, AZ and now live in San Diego where it's always a gorgeous day for a run (read--no excuses!). I've lost about 25 lbs with MFP and plan to lose about 10 more. I'm quite positive the lighter you are, the faster you run. ;) At least I hope so. Like a lot of you, I never enjoyed running in the past but after a freak encounter with the treadmill one night in the gym (the elliptical was boring me to tears), I decided--what the hell, I'd run. I sucked. I was slow. The next night I got back on and tried to go a little further a little faster and when I succeeded, the rest became history.

I have a handful of 5ks under my belt but seeing as how a lot of them are almost as expensive as half marathons, I've decided to focus on the larger races. I finished my first half in March @ 2:26:26 and am registered for the Los Angeles Rock n Roll Half in October and the Carlsbad Marathon (woohoo!) in January.

Nice to meet you all! xo

Nice to meet you as well! I spent 8 years in San Diego (based there with the USMC), and as much as I couldn't wait to get away from there, I've been kind of itching to go back lately. Would love to go out there and run a couple of races. Just a little further north, was looking at the runDisney website for the local Disneyland schedule as well.
  • kellyhdent
    kellyhdent Posts: 46
    Options
    Hi there! The name is Kelly and I'm from NC. Currently training for my first half marathon in February - I've completed 5k's and 10k's so this should be a fun and interesting training time!
  • seizethefray
    seizethefray Posts: 109
    Options
    Nice to meet you as well! I spent 8 years in San Diego (based there with the USMC), and as much as I couldn't wait to get away from there, I've been kind of itching to go back lately. Would love to go out there and run a couple of races. Just a little further north, was looking at the runDisney website for the local Disneyland schedule as well.

Oh wow! You should definitely come back. :) I never want to leave Southern California now that I'm here. I've checked out the Disneyland ones too--they sell out fast! I've yet to run one but I'm all salty that you don't get entrance into the park with such a steep registration fee. lol
  • HealthyBrandi
    HealthyBrandi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I was a dedicated HS and division III runner who got very off track after finishing my last XC season in 2003. If anyone wants to help get me back to running regularly again, please let me know. Thanks!
  • HealthyBrandi
    HealthyBrandi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I've only run 5ks and 10ks too and there are 2 half marathons in my neighborhood that I really want to train for after I get back in shape. Let me know how it goes.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am Becky. I just started running in January, and finished the C25K in March. I am currently training for the Shelby Greenline Half that will take place in October of this year. I used to be one of those who hated running, and then fell in love with it. I have several 5Ks under my belt.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Howdy! I'm Diana. I am obsessed with running. I am training for my second marathon (completed my first in May). I have done 3 half marathons, with my most recent being last weekend. I would love some running friends.... :flowerforyou:
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Hi Yall!!! My name is Shane. I have been fit most of my life and never got serious about running until the beginning of 2013. I ran my first 5k in May in 21:45 and I am now hooled! My current two goals are to run a 5k under 20 minutes and finish a half around 1.5 hr mark. Anyone with similar interests can feel free to ad me.
  • youjustgetbetter
    youjustgetbetter Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey guys... I could REALLY use some friends that are runners! I'm a 20 year old college student that started running a little over a year ago. After about 6 months of laziness, I'm now training for a 10k and hope to do a half-marathon in the next year or so.

I would really love to add anyone who is passionate about running!
  • nana6799
    nana6799 Posts: 262
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I am a fairly new runner and an older one at that, 67 years old.

I started running, the encouragement of my daughter, in the Fall of 2012. I have trained and ran a 5K and a 10K. I did come in 1st place in the womens age group of 65-69 years old, and yes, there really were other women that ran it. I am now in my 8th week of training for a half marathon in October.

I woud love to have more mfp runner friends. friend me at nana6799
  • RunningActor
    RunningActor Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I'm Geb, I've been running for about 12 years on and off and started running marathons in 2011. My 2013 goal is to run 4 marathons and BQ. I'm 3 marathons in (Yakima River Canyon Marathon, Tacoma City Marathon and the Green River Marathon) and nowhere near the BQ for my age group (I'm turning 30 tomorrow). I'm just starting my training cycle (I use a higher mileage variation of Hal Higdon's Advanced II plan) for the Seattle Marathon Dec 1st. I'm hoping to drop 30 lbs in the 15 weeks before my taper to be at about 185 on race day, which should (in theory) drop a full minute off my pace just from the weightloss.
  • kntxx
    kntxx Posts: 29
    Options
    Hello! My name is Julius, and I am new to long distance running. I'm currently on training, doing the 'Run Less Run Faster', to run my first 5k on November.
  • mwdavisii
    Options
    Hey Folks - My name's Mike. I've been running for about 6 months. I've completed one tri, a dozen or so 5ks, several 4 milers and a 10k. Currently, I'm training for my first half this December. I started my fitness journey on February 10th of this year after being diagnosed with Type 2.