You know you are a runner when.....

Options

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    This is such a happy thread.
    My fear is to get injuries and I never thought of it this way before.
    I'm annoyed that I have to have resting days.

You seek out music specifically with the purpose to get you moving!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    ...a Caribbean Running Vacation sounds like a really good idea to you, and you long to spend a vacation running 3-6 miles every day and attending running seminars and workshops.

http://www.jennyhadfield.com/caribbean-running-vacation/

*want*
  • likitisplit
    Options
    When you pack your running shoes on vacation and actually USE them! I did that twice this summer!

When you get p.o.'d that your travel agent didn't mention the 5k that was part of your Disney Cruise.

Mickey Mouse? Who cares? I can run my butt off at the crack of dawn. THERE's a vacation!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    This is such a happy thread.
    My fear is to get injuries and I never thought of it this way before.
    I'm annoyed that I have to have resting days.

You seek out music specifically with the purpose to get you moving!

Isn't it crazy?

You think that running is about going fast and doing it every day - and that's a little scary.

And then you get annoyed because it's really neither of those two things.
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    ...when your doctor says "no more running till you get a stress test" and you begin having WITHDRAWALS immediately... can't read enough about running.... on the C25K message board, running websites, magazines and feel like you are going to FREAK OUT because the first available test is SIX (6), Freaking SIX, long days away! The poor lady in scheduling just didn't get it when I yelled "are you kidding me? 6 days?" And your husband sends your 12 yr old daughter with you on your "walk" to MAKE SURE you are just walking.

Ugh.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm so sorry about that. Runners do NOT do well when told not to run.
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    ...when your doctor says "no more running till you get a stress test" and you begin having WITHDRAWALS immediately... can't read enough about running.... on the C25K message board, running websites, magazines and feel like you are going to FREAK OUT because the first available test is SIX (6), Freaking SIX, long days away! The poor lady in scheduling just didn't get it when I yelled "are you kidding me? 6 days?" And your husband sends your 12 yr old daughter with you on your "walk" to MAKE SURE you are just walking.

Ugh.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've only been running for a couple of months, but the thought of not running at all for an entire weeks fills me with anxiety and the sads :grumble:

At least you'll have the cold turkey memories to get your through those tough runs! "Remember when I COULDN'T run for that week?"
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Ugh.

yes i can relate to that! I started running (not c25K but something like that) in september 2012. In dec 2012 i sort of sprain my right ankle just a week before my running club (begginers) was doing our first 5K unofficial. I was so mad. I had to take 5 weeks off. i was really depressed not being able to run (or even go for slow walk). And then i went back for 2months and again at the end of march 2013 i sprain again (very badly) my right ankle just a Week before what would have been my first 5K. Again I was really really upset. This time it took me almost 3 months to get back on track. During this time i was looking at runners and saying to myself (I want to run, i want to run !!!).I have restarted at end of july 2013. What a wonderful sensation to be able to run again and feel that "running high " sensation. This time i hope i will make for MY FIRST OFFICIAL 5K in august 25. (in 9 days).
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    You know you are a runner when someone happens to mention blerch and you immediately come out with a "Once when I was running" story.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You mention to your new coworker that you are going to take the elevator instead of the stairs because of your long run and he asks what you are training toward and you say a half and he says that he's downgraded his Detroit marathon to a half because he had to move and it threw off his schedule and you knew EXACTLY what he means and why that was a smart decision.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    You Know You're a Runner When…
    How do you know? Never mind the miles and shoes, look at the laundry!

realrunnersept500x310.jpg

By Marc Parent
    Image by Nigel Buchanan
    Published August 15, 2013

I have a lanyard hanging on the wall next to my desk that I received after giving a keynote speech following the release of my first book. The tag on the lanyard reads, "Marc Parent, Published Author." I hung it up years ago because it was funny to me in the same way as a tag for an architect that might say, "Architect, Of Buildings You Can Actually Walk Into" or a lawyer's that reads, "Attorney, Who Argues Cases in Real Courtrooms and Not Just in Front of Mirrors," or, "Pianist, Who Plays Numerous Pieces You Might Actually Like to Hear." Several published books later, the lanyard still hangs on the wall not because it's funny anymore but because I still have days when I need definitive evidence that I'm actually doing what I've actually been doing for most of my life.

One of the most surprising things I learned about running when I started was that you didn't need to earn a lanyard with a hang-tag or any other validating identifier to make your membershipofficial—you were allowed to call yourself a runner from the moment you began. You could make the ugliest attempt at a mile and call yourself a runner at the half-mile collapse. You could call yourself a runner even as walkers passed you by. You could quit for a week or a month, and call yourself a runner on the day of your return. Distance, speed, and frequency didn't matter as long as the effort was hard-fought and true.

I had a hard time believing that.

During my first attempts, I looked more like a hot, whiny baby than a runner. A hot, whiny baby who could make low, grunting noises that would put goose bumps on a bull dog. As much as I liked the feeling of instant welcome into a diverse, sweaty mob, even after months of running I thought the people who called me a runner were just being nice. It wasn't a question of whether or not I was really running—I made running look more real than almost anyone on the road—but in my mind, that didn't make me a real runner.

Most sensible elders of the running tribe will say, "If you run, you are a runner," and move on to more important issues like what's for dinner and how far is tomorrow's run. I respect my elders, especially the sensible ones, and so I eventually gave in and began calling myself a runner, albeit with a kind of mechanical enthusiasm. Here I am. Woo-hoo. A runner, I'd think at the end of a two-mile run. What I didn't know at the time was that the distance and the speed that would've made the statement feel more accurate were illusions on a horizon I'd never reach no matter how hard I drove at them.

The problem with authenticating yourself as a "real runner" is that the distinction is a moving target. If a real runner is someone who goes long or fast, then almost any measure pales in comparison to the person who goes longer and faster. When I finally trained for and finished a half-marathon, I felt an undeniable sense of accomplishment, but even in that bright shining moment I thought, Man—those people who do full marathons are the runners.

Then one morning, a small pile of laundry spoke to me. Some people listen to the mysterious whisper of forest pines, the wordless echo of misty mountaintops; I listen to smaller things like laundry. I suddenly realized I had been a runner from the moment I began producing little mounds of sweaty clothes in the corner of the bedroom. Before I ran, there was no mound; now there was. Laundry is not a moving target. It stays right there until you deal with it. Every runner is different, but every runner's little mound of laundry in the corner of the bedroom is the same. If you've got one, then call yourself a runner.

When you let go of conventional standards for what constitutes a runner, the floodgates swing wide open. Take the simple apple. Before I began running, apples on my counter were little more than a thin insurance against starvation. Once I started running, I actually wanted to eat them. Same for the bananas, the oranges, the grapes, and unbelievably, the pears. Running changes everything about a fruit bowl, elevating it from kitchen ornament to a vessel of edible nutrition. If you occasionally crave fruit, eat it, and think it tastes good, you can probably call yourself a runner.

Some people grow skinny when they run, some stay the same, but all of them wear running shoes when they shouldn't. There is a good chance you can safely call yourself a runner if you wear brightly colored running shoes with a suit or a skirt and think it's okay. The bottom of my closet used to be cluttered with shoes for every occasion. That's still the case, only now they're all running shoes (or cousins)—ones for fast runs, slow runs, long and short runs, but also black and yellow sprinters for a night on the town, repurposed old smooth-bottoms for watching football, long-retired holey ones for lawn work, a Gore-Tex pair for fishing, a pair that works on the tennis court, and a pair that is somehow just perfect for coaching baseball.

And only a runner lies awake in bed and randomly thinks, My God, I just ran ___ miles! Assume you're a runner if you've ever thought this. The number of miles is not important. What's important is that the thought has replaced My God, I just ate ___ Oreos!

I did a long run one morning because I was going out with friends that evening and I knew a long run would produce that lingering twinge of hunger—hunger for beer. If you've ever run to make beer taste better, you can probably call yourself a lot of things, but "runner" is certainly one of them.

The nonrunner's muscles ache and he gets cranky. The runner's muscles ache and his eyes spin in his head and he says, "Alive, man, alive!"

As a nonrunner, I distrusted anyone I saw running. Now, when I see runners, I not only trust them, I wonder who they are. I think they could be my friends. I think we would feel the same about everything. We would like the same bands. The runners who frown when I smile and wave just don't understand that yet. The ones who cross the road to avoid me are only being shy.

You can call yourself a runner when it's easier to jog short distances than to walk them. When your shoes wear out before they get dirty. When sweating becomes so familiar it's a nonissue. When quenching your thirst takes two glasses of water. When socks become a point of discussion. When you get the bright yellow shirt so cars can see you. When people stop asking you about running. When they don't want to know how far you went, whether it was easy or hard, what you thought about on the road, what birds you saw, what falling leaves you caught, the animosities you resolved, the priorities you straightened, the dozens of ridiculous epiphanies you had. The assumption is that you've passed over to the other side, and you probably have. You're a real runner. No lanyard and hang-tag required.

"The nonrunner gets cranky when he aches. The runner says, 'Alive, man, alive!'"

http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/you-know-youre-a-runner-when
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You're a runner when you 1) check Runner's World regularly in case Marc Parent decides to publish something on a random day 2) get tears in your eyes after reading a "humorous" piece.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    You're a runner when you 1) check Runner's World regularly in case Marc Parent decides to publish something on a random day 2) get tears in your eyes after reading a "humorous" piece.

Is it that obvious that I am a follower of his writing? lol
  • likitisplit
    Options

Is it psychotic that I got a little envious that you read it before I did?
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I got the bright yellow shirt on Saturday. It was for bikers (not motorcyclists) to see me, not cars, but it was to be seen.

It feels good to read pieces like this. I was just reading this C25K forum and got a little down with all the new people talking about their 12, 11, 10 minutes/mile paces when I'm happy to get below a 16 minutes/mile pace. I just need to remind myself once in a while that I'm me and they are they and what they do doesn't diminish what I do. I am a runner.
  • rduhlir
    Options

Is it psychotic that I got a little envious that you read it before I did?

Is it psychotic that I got a little envious that you found out about The Oatmeal before I did? :laugh:
  • rduhlir
    Options
    ...you consider the consequences of having that slice of cheesecake. Not because of the added calories, but because you dread the thought of "runner trots" the next day.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    Some people grow skinny when they run, some stay the same, but all of them wear running shoes when they shouldn't. There is a good chance you can safely call yourself a runner if you wear brightly colored running shoes with a suit or a skirt and think it's okay. The bottom of my closet used to be cluttered with shoes for every occasion. That's still the case, only now they're all running shoes (or cousins)—ones for fast runs, slow runs, long and short runs, but also black and yellow sprinters for a night on the town, repurposed old smooth-bottoms for watching football, long-retired holey ones for lawn work, a Gore-Tex pair for fishing, a pair that works on the tennis court, and a pair that is somehow just perfect for coaching baseball.

Just wanted to point out that this is totally me.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    You Know You're a Runner When…
    How do you know? Never mind the miles and shoes, look at the laundry!

realrunnersept500x310.jpg

By Marc Parent

http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/you-know-youre-a-runner-when

How much do I LOVE this!!! Every word is truth! LOL!
  • rduhlir
    Options
    ...you are eatting lunch and this image randomly pops into your head:

running2_21vanity.png

Thus causing the chocolate milk that you just sipped out from the straw to blow threw your nose, onto the computer screen in front of you.