'Diet Foods' - Available in Australia

Options

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I love the Swisse Recovery Protein Bars (Choc/Goji). Really tasty and a great way to add protein and battle my chocolate cravings at the same time.

Also, whoever mentioned Smooze Ice, thank you very much. So far I've tried the plain coconut and the coconut/pineapple. Really good especially the plain coconut.

I tried the Vitarium drinking chocolate. It is pretty good if you want chocolate milk but I was expecting something similar to the Jarrah hot chocolate drinks to make with water so I was a little let down.

gmallan - I've tried the Natureegg Egg Whites from Woolies. I'm a little weirded out by an all white omelet so I always add a couple of whole eggs to the mix as well just for the yellow color (silly I know). They are a really great way to up the protein without adding a lot of fat/calories. Plus it is great for baking. I love having them and hope Woolies keeps them stocked. I've only tried the plain liquid ones though. I've noticed they have three other types (one I believe said omelet and the other I don't remember, along with powder eggs), but I haven't tried any of those. I like the versatility of the plain ones since I use them for baking as well as omelets.

I was also let down by Vitarium, it made me feel sick after eating it. Have gone back to either Jarrah (under 50 cals) or just trying Woolworts Select (76 cals). If it keeps me from raiding the chocolate box then it's worth it

They were out of the plain egg whites the other day so I grabbed a carton of the spinach and feta omelette and I actually didn't mind it. Quick and easy way to boost protein - I just threw it in the microwave for 2mins.

Keep the ideas and feedback coming people
  • Calire65
    Options
    Anybody else tried the Pitango range of organic soups, risottos etc, available in the fridge section of Coles, Woolies and your IGA? I have only tried a couple of the soups, but I can definitely recommend the pumpkin with ginger soup and the quinoa and vegetable soup, at around 100 calories a serve each. I would be interested to know if anyone else likes something from this range.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I just ate the Coles Simply Less Roasted vine ripened tomato and quinoa soup and it was fantastic and only 126 cals.
  • Calire65
    Options
    Thanks, I will look out for that one! Was it in the soup aisle or in the fridge section?
  • hanga62
    hanga62 Posts: 8
    Options
    We had okonomiyaki for lunch the weekend before last!! It is so tasty and filling but it is also so easy to make- I really recommend you try making it yourself and that way you can control exactly what's in it.

Love these do you have a link to a recipe??
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will look out for that one! Was it in the soup aisle or in the fridge section?

At coles in the fridge section.
  • Joemka
    Joemka Posts: 6
    Options
    I love a boiled egg as a snack and at woollies found a two pack of boiled eggs which would be handy for when on the run and out with no snacks. The Munchable cheese and crackers are good too.

I also love the quest protein bars which you can buy online at LocarbCentral....the bars are 60 gm but I halve them and that's enough for me.....great flavours and handy to have for emergencies.

I read somewhere that you can make chips from Kale or seaweed in the oven...add some spices for a cool snack.

Finally in the health food section of woollies you can buy dried chickpeas or fava beans (broadbeans) which make a delicious crunchy snack. There are usually about 5 packs in the box.
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Have any of you tried Quorn products? I've tried the Southern Style Chicken Burgers & the Classic Style Burgers. They were both really good and I didn't really feel like I was missing out on meat. The classic burgers ("beef") smelled like bacon to me when they were sizzling away in the oven and had a nice smokey like taste to me. I really liked them and they are so low in cals I made myself a double patty burger :D

I bought a bunch of stuff from Groceryrun.com.au. They had some blue diamond almonds in habanero, sea salt & vinegar, & lime/chilli (USA foods section). About 260 cals a pack which is only about 15 cals more than plain almonds for the same amount. Really good.

Also, if you guys love marshmallows, you'll love marshmallow fluff. I've bought some from Woolies (next to peanut butter) and it is only like 40 cals for 12g or so. I add it to my peanut butter sandwiches to make a fluffernutter sandwich. Really good! Grocery run has them as well as well as a strawberry flavored one. I bough the strawberry one from there but preferred the plain one from woolies. I would think it would be great for dipping strawberries in :)

Wallaby Bites sold at Woolies in the health food section/granola bars. I prefer the choc covered ones and they are a really good choc fix. They are about 70 calories for one piece.

Arnott's Country Cheese Crackers (21 cals for 1). Really good with a Bega Stringers Cheese stick (approx 60 cals) & Don's Pepperoni Salami (20g for 71 cals). Very nice snack :)
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    my go to yoghurt at the moment is the plain, no fat one from Aldi... they have gluten free pasta there now as well! I use that yoghurt (100g about 50cals) in my morning smoothie with baby spinach, chia seeds, flax seeds, milk, vanilla protein powder, banana and whatever berries are around.

Coles has quinoa flakes which I have heard good things about... anyone tried them? I am gluten-free and oats-free... no crops for me!

p.s. you all mention almond milk - anyone here made it before? That's my plan for tomorrow :)
  • mutabo_
    mutabo_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like the Chobani yogurts - taste great and have been on sale for weeks it seems.

Golden Mills Sandwich Thins are good bread replacements for me at 100 cal a piece. I get them at Woolies.

I drink an IsoWhey hot chocolate from either the chemist or the supplement shop. It's expensive but has a hint of chilli, high protein and low cal (60 cal I think).

The Woolies home brand porridge sachets are great tasting at 109 cal. I make them with water and a bit of unsweetened almond milk. Yum!
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Chobani yoghurt rocks - highest protein ratio of any Yoghurt on the market.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Sanitarium natural peanut butter

Have eaten a whole tub at once. Added maple syrup and cinnamon half way. Not recommended for those dieting :laugh:

OMG...Now I want Sanitarium Natural PB smothered in maple syrup and cinnamon!!

*saves this "dish" to fuel my 25km trail run next month*
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Unibic Sponge Fingers 1 biscuit (approx. 21g) for 79 cals. Having a couple with tea right now. These are the same ones used to make tiramisu so you might be able to make a mock tiramisu with sweetened yogurt & a teaspoon of coffee granules :)
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    For those who love the Sanitarium all natural peanut butter (no added sugar or salt), quite a few health food stores also sell all natural peanut butter - some of them will make it fresh on the spot for you (it's just peanuts ground up by a heavy duty blender)
  • melsie02
    Options
    I second SlendierSlim... I love my noodles!

I've recently gotten addicted to PB2 (powdered peanut butter, 85% less fat calories than regular peanut butter). A lot of Oz-based online stores sell them. I used to order them from Gladiator Nutrition but they always run out. Iherb (based in the US, but has cheap & fast shipping) has started stocking it though, so I'll probably order from them next time I run out.
  • shelleywhitee
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Simply Less Coles range? Looking at it now and would like to give it a try.
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    Yoplait - Yoghurt Forme Greek - 77 calories per 150g
    Lip sparkling ice tea (sugar free) - 11 calories per can
    Woolworths homebrand pumpkin soup - 148 calories per can (500g), its really yummy and usually on special (2 for $4)
    Horley's protein bars (carb less) (double dutch chocolate fudge, banana caramel) - best protein bars I have ever eaten, about 170 calories each.
    Weight watchers jelly with peaches (18 calories per tub, 2 tubs per product)
    Wow confectionary sugar free caramel chews, fruit chews - 240 calories per packet (be careful though, they can act as a laxative...)
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Simply Less Coles range? Looking at it now and would like to give it a try.

Their chocolate mousse is fantastic
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    Bulla Frozen yoghurt sticks - 75 calories each
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    Slim Secrets range's 'craving crusher': cookies and cream is yummy! 123 calories