The august ladies' August check in and chat

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hey BAMFs!
    Broke all types of records today! :) Also now I want peanut butter lmao :laugh:
    I finally do not hate bench pressing :)
    Did 60 lbs on the bench
    95 lbs on my rows
    120 lbs on shrugs
    135 lbs on my deadlifts
    105 lbs on squats
    70 lbs on machine crunches
    Also did 50 leg hip raises

Anyone else hate the "on the fly" math required to figure out which plates to put on the bar? :grumble:
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Good solid lifting session tonight. Nothing horrible or spectacular, just SOLID, which I'm fine with. I am thrilled however because for some reason my squats kicked into gear and I made it below parallel. The first time it happened I actually exclaimed out loud, LOL. Good thing I'm in my basement. I'm still leaning forward, but at least I'm getting low enough now. Baby steps. Kept all the weights the same as the last time:

Squats: 75lbs - been here a few workouts now, but still working on form. And my, they do get a lot harder when you go deep, don't they? And holy hell talk about a sentence for some sexual innuendo! LOL
    Bench: 65lbs - going to move up to 70 next time.
    Row: 80lbs - think I'm going to try 85 next time.

And on a random note, I got a major promotion today totally out of the blue. Should kick in mid-September I'm guessing. So I'm super excited. :-)
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Good solid lifting session tonight. Nothing horrible or spectacular, just SOLID, which I'm fine with. I am thrilled however because for some reason my squats kicked into gear and I made it below parallel. The first time it happened I actually exclaimed out loud, LOL. Good thing I'm in my basement. I'm still leaning forward, but at least I'm getting low enough now. Baby steps. Kept all the weights the same as the last time:

Squats: 75lbs - been here a few workouts now, but still working on form. And my, they do get a lot harder when you go deep, don't they? And holy hell talk about a sentence for some sexual innuendo! LOL
    Bench: 65lbs - going to move up to 70 next time.
    Row: 80lbs - think I'm going to try 85 next time.

And on a random note, I got a major promotion today totally out of the blue. Should kick in mid-September I'm guessing. So I'm super excited. :-)

Congrats on the squat depth AND the promotion. What a great day!

I missed my SL session this morning - had to do something for work that made the gym inconvenient. I was annoyed and saying to myself that I needed my routine to get back to normal when it dawned on me that this is normal for me. I regularly have random things I have to do before / after / during work. And I'm a teacher, so I regularly have a break from all things normal and have random road trips for a week or 2 at a time. So, I really want to get some weights for home, and hope I actually use them. It would be so much easier to just do it when I get home from work, rather than go to the gym before work and have a shower there... Hmmm, might start planning this.

In my imagination, I need ALL the things to make this work. But I don't really. If I had a bar, some weights, one of those adjustable squat racks they have at my Crossfit gym and a bench, I'd be set to start. I always think I need the whole kit and caboodle, ie the gym cage thingo. But I've never seen one in real life. Neither of my gyms have one! It'll be a while before I'm anywhere near scary weights that would be a danger.... Anyways, pondering pondering pondering. Will wait until I've actually got my new car before I think of the next big purchase!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    zz you are such a magpie lol! but your point is very true, life happens and everything has to fit with that.

well after my bingey evening I'm all set with my kit in the car to go straight to the gym from work at 2pm :) the joys of my mum having the kids!!
  • grandevampire
    Options
    OHP 55443 55 lbs :(
    Bah! What! No! If I could even do ONE rep @ 55lbs, I would be all proud and stuff.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    In my imagination, I need ALL the things to make this work.

You don't. I lift in my garage without a power cage. I purchased a used Olympic barbell set with bench/squat rack for about $350. It's a bit rusty around the edges from sitting in my garage but it's been working well for me. We got the squishy floor mat thingies to protect our garage floor (because weights do get dropped from time to time and can and will get damaged or damage the floor) and those were about another $100.

You can start basic and go from there. I'm very cautious lifting without a power cage, but I'm not out to break world records so I'm not going too heavy anyway. I just listen to my body, and it always lets me know where the limits are.

Here is what I have:
    8kY1qoA.jpg?2
  • randomtai
    Options
    Sigh.... I wish I had a garage for lifting... stupid NYC.... stupid no space anywhere... :grumble:
  • grandevampire
    Options
    Sigh.... I wish I had a garage for lifting... stupid NYC.... stupid no space anywhere... :grumble:
    I hear ya! Same problem here in Paris. :'''(
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    ha I have a garage but the huz wouldn't even contemplate using it, and if I suggested using one of the bedrooms he'd worry about the floor (a bit on the OCD side bless him..).

anyway, hit the gym after my early finish today, had such a giggle - one of the ex-PTs still trains there (allegedly he's now a 'fitness model') anyway, he was there as usual and I suddenly realised he'd be a great candidate for one of those chicken-legged 'friends don't let friends miss leg day' photos. Admittedly he was doing one-legged squats but he has totally girly legs, and a fairly puffed up torso. lol!

so.. stuck at 45kg squats as I'm still 'good-morning'-ing a bit on the way back up from some, so trying to focus on form. It felt really heavy again. Can't believe I got over 10kg heavier before I deloaded *sigh* will 60kg every appear?! anyway, 3x5

Bench I am back up to my nemesis number, 37.5kg. managed 4,4,5 (after a proper 3 minute rest). Grr.

Rows I totally cocked up the maths, so ended up doing 1x5 at 35kg, 1x5 at 40kg and finally 3x5 at 42.5kg!

Couldn't be bothered to do anything else! Shocking huh?!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I would love to have a garage, but I doubt the fiance would let me fill it with lifting equipment. He goes on rants every time we visit his parents because they have too much stuff in their garage and can't park their cars in there. Theoretically, I could put some equipment in my basement, but it's dirty and scary down there and the stairs are an accident waiting to happen. Some day, I'll buy my own house and it will have space for my own equipment. :tongue:

Workout A today

Squats: 165lbs (again) 3x5---so much easier to do these when you don't do deadlifts first. Whoda thunk?
    Bench: 105lbs 3x5-- PR happy dance yay
    Rows: 105lbs 3x5 (ish)-- didn't hit all the reps, but came dang close.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Anyone else hate the "on the fly" math required to figure out which plates to put on the bar? :grumble:
    Yes, I'm math-challenged, especially as early in the morning as I work out, so I use my phone calculator!
    Sigh.... I wish I had a garage for lifting... stupid NYC.... stupid no space anywhere... grumble
    I'm from NYC, too...live just north of the city now. I've thought about trolling Craigslist for a squat rack, etc. to outfit my basement with a home gym, but I kind of like the routine of going to the gym—it pushes me out of my comfort zone a bit, and makes me work harder (damned if I'm going to take weights off the bar in front of all those people!!) On the other hand, stumbling downstairs at 5 am would be a lot nicer than driving to the gym on those cold, dark winter mornings!

So, I was doing this 30-day Paleo eating plan (no grain, dairy, alcohol, sugar, legumes, soy, etc.), ended up extending it to 37 days, which finished yesterday. Weighed myself this morning and I was down 9.5 lbs. So psyched! Weightloss wasn't really the point of the plan, but what a nice side-effect. Of course, then today I ate some stuff that wasn't on the plan and now I feel like crapola. Maybe that's good? It makes me want to go back to to the diet tomorrow.
  • zanyzana
    Options
    In my imagination, I need ALL the things to make this work.

Here is what I have:
    8kY1qoA.jpg?2

I love how low that bench is. I wouldn't have to find something to put under my feet to make them high enough to bench properly! How do you get under that to squat? Or does it raise up to high enough? With me it wouldn't have to go very high to be high enough!
  • DaniH826
    Options
    I love how low that bench is. I wouldn't have to find something to put under my feet to make them high enough to bench properly! How do you get under that to squat? Or does it raise up to high enough? With me it wouldn't have to go very high to be high enough!

I'm not sure if you can tell with that picture, but the squat rack is on the other side of the bench (front of picture) and you can see the barbell resting on there if you look closely. I just step under it, hunched a little bit, that's all. It's a proper squat rack.
  • zanyzana
    Options
    Cool. That looks like something I could afford, and could have room for in the front room.... Must wait til I get the new car though!
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    Hello
    still building back up so technically still deloaded on everything
    Squats 5x5@72.5 kg/159lbs - gawd I love squatting!
    Ohp 5x5 @22.5kg/49.6lbs (been watching videos, changed my grip... still know I just suck at these)
    Deadlift 1x5@75kg/165lbs

usual accessories - full push ups, sit ups, planks, body weight rows. chin ups, air squats

Weight still on the up & up back to my starting weight of 140lbs -but my arms are looking very nice f I do say so myself!
    happy lifting ladies x
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    looking forward to getting back in the gym. Roll on Tuesday! Going to have a look at one in my lunch today and another at some point over the weekend. Don't think I will end up with the one I am looking at today, it's really convenient for work - could go in my lunch if I wanted but it's nearly £10 more than the other and the other is a chain so more option about using different ones, there is 1 near my house, 1 near my OH and 1 on the way to work.

On a side note cycling 11 miles this morning half killed me - it would not be so bad if all the hills were not in the last 4 miles!
  • DaniH826
    Options
    Deadlift day today, back in the 100s. Elbows are really bugging me, I think I have tendinitis. Going to add bromelain to my supplement regimen twice daily and give them a proper rest. Nothing much else to do since I type for a living. Sigh.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Workout B

Squats 5x5 @105# (Been here a few weeks and working on form, going lower, and not being so wobbly. This is my PR weight.)

OHP 1x4 @50#, 4x6 @45# (The first set is a PR, hip hip hooray! Had a fail on the last rep so did the other sets at 45#. I really, really need to buy the fractional set. On my "to do" list today.)

Dead Lifts 1x5 @130# (Also a PR and pretty dang close to my current weight which is 131.5 pounds. Am really psyched I was able to lift at this weight. My entire body felt it. It was a struggle but I kept my form.)

Chin ups 3x5 @42# assisted (The dead lifts took everything I had and my chin ups suffered)

Tricep Dips 3x5 @42# assisted (Ditto)
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Awesome lifting session tonight. Still at 75lbs for squats for form purposes. Bumped my OHP up to 60lbs and actually did it! Sooooo hard and almost didn't make it, so I'll repeat it, but I'm so thrilled I actually managed all 5x5 on my first try! And then deadlifted 115lbs, which is more than half my body weight! I love this!
  • randomtai
    Options
    So today some guy asked me if I was a powerlifter and also I was impressive :bigsmile:
    I did 55 lbs on the Overhead press.. woot up from 50
    Also did 110 lbs on squats
    95 lbs on rows (ugh)
    125 lbs on shrugs
    145 lbs on deadlifts *squeals*
    75 lbs on machine crunches
    Also 50 leg hip raises. :)