The august ladies' August check in and chat

Options

Replies

• kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It's been a crazy week - my dad had a stroke on Monday, and was out of the hospital, slated to fully recover, by Thursday night. Phew. Talk about terror and joy all packed into 72 hours!

I lifted to stay sane, and did some more cardio stuff (hurray maintenance eating for increasing energy and shortening recovery times!)

Wed:
    Squats 2x5 @140
    OHP 3x5 @70
    Chins 3x3 with 10 pounds assistance
    Back extensions 5x10 with 10 lb.

Fri:
    Squats 1x5 @ 195 - soooooo heavvvvvvvvy. I grunted on each rep. In fact, I grunted for every rep of my entire workout. They don't call it Intensity Day for nothing!
    Bench 1x4 @ 120!!!!! I was super pumped - only supposed to get 3@117.5, but thought I'd try the 120. Glad I did!
    Power cleans 5x3 @70 - form is getting better on these
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    Ladies - you are rocking the stronglifts
    Kira - so glad your dad is ok.

I am so jealous of everyone's OHP!!!
    Still on deload - will be Wednesday for me to get back to my final squatting & deadlift weights - from before my 1 week break) and then hopefully I'll be on the up & up again... !
    squats 5x5@75kg/165lb
    bench 5x5@25kg/55lbs
    row 5x5@25kg/55lbs

managed 12 full push ups today - HURRAHHHH!
    usual accessories - reverse crunches, chin ups, sit ups, push ups, air squats, lunges, body weight inverted rows. Also tried to do a hand stand and panicked and collapsed.... ho hum!

Have a great week lifting. x
  • grandevampire
    Options
    Kirabob, hope your dad is better soon.

Non-Stronglifts day. It was raining pretty hard today, so skipped Sunday long run... Substituted with the pool for the first time in forever, 1800m.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Sorry have not been checking in here often ladies. Am going to be doing tough mudder in September, so have changed my training up a few times. Still lifting heavy, but concentrating on the trail runs and endurance for a bit. I hope everyone is doing well...

: )

When my endurance events are totally out of the way, I am going to concentrate on body composition (want to get down to 20 % bf as planned and do the bulk and cut cycle towards November) and lifting. Been researching powerlifting and the complete lack of local support in this area. Ugh! Have a few friends though who are into it from around the globe, so at least I can pick some experienced brains for help. It is a solitary kind of sport though by the looks of it.
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies-

Just stopping by to say HI and y'all are so awesome with the numbers!

This week

Squats- #75
    Bench- #65
    DL- #135
    OHP- #55 (yay and yippeee!!)
    Cleans- #55

So far been able to increase at #5 increments without having to pull out the ol fractionals.

I am totally off schedule with my lifting. Supposed to be MWF, but got off track this Wednesday because I pretty much ran around all of western NC and I barely had enough energy to lift my head, much less a weight. Pretty certain I would have been crushed to death if I tried. Oh well will get back on schedule soon hopefully.

Hope everyone has had a great weekend!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Workout A

Squats 3x5 @105# followed by 2x5 @110# (PR I decided to increase by 5# on the fourth set. I was able to do it so that's going to be my new weight for a week or two before increasing again.)

Bench Press 5x5 @70# (staying here a while)

Pendlay Rows 5x5 @80# (ready to increase weight next time)

Chin ups and dips were a de-load. Don't know why I had a great week with these last week but am struggling now, LOL.
  • grandevampire
    Options
    Uggleuggle had to do governmental paperwork this morning before work, so went to the gym at 5:30. Wasn't in good shape. Haha.

Squats: 5x5 @ 32.5 kg Was able to do the reps, but did not get as low as I should. This always happens when I first attempt a weight. Hm.
    OHP; 3x5 @ 20 kg I wimped out today cause my shoulder was sore from my swim yesterday and didn't struggle through the last 2 sets. :''( Next time.
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 65 kg This is officially heavy for me, I had to pause a few seconds between reps. I noticed the bar kept rolling out of my palms and was hooked on my fingers. Is this purely due to weak sauce grip? It never happened in the least at previously attempted weights.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies... I hope to get back on track sometime soon. Going through some bad times right now.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies... I hope to get back on track sometime soon. Going through some bad times right now.

Take care of you.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    kirabob, I'm glad your dad is ok. How very scary! And WTG on all your lifts, great day Friday!

randomtai, sorry you're having a rough time right now. ((hugs))
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies... I am having an issue. I am not progressing in a few of my workouts. Ideas why?

Row i cant seem to get above 95- most I have done was like 105 and it really didnt go so well

Squat - Highest weight ever 115 and that was crazy heavy. I went back down and have been trying to progress but no such luck. 95 is the highest I feel comfortable at without back pain.

I have been eating at increased calories and such for a while now-- My diary is open feel free to check there and see if that is where my issue is. Any suggestions or opinions are welcomed.

Yesterdays workout

Squats 4x5 80lbs - havent been doing 5x5 to save on a little time and got kinda bored since I do them every workout.
    bench 5x5 85 lbs
    rows 5x5 95 lbs
    chest and tricep accessory work ( chest flys, tricep dips, tricep extension, etc)
  • ErinRibbens
    Options
    Can you have someone check your form on squats? I struggle with rows myself, I think it's just a tough lift but with your other weights seems like you should be at a higher weight than that for squats. The form on it is SO hard, it's so technical!
  • ErinRibbens
    Options
    I ran out of time to do any accessory work but got my main workout done and was fairly pleased with my lifts, except I really could have used a spotter on my bench- I chickened out on my very last rep of the last set because I was afraid I wouldn't get it back up.

Squats: 3x5 140 lbs. Felt heavy but pretty good! I'm thankful because I've been stuck at 135 FOREVER, finally feel like I'm progressing.

Bench: 3x5 95 lbs

Rows: 3x5 90 lbs. Felt tough, not sure I was getting the full range of motion. I think I will repeat this again next time.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies... I am having an issue. I am not progressing in a few of my workouts. Ideas why?

Row i cant seem to get above 95- most I have done was like 105 and it really didnt go so well

Squat - Highest weight ever 115 and that was crazy heavy. I went back down and have been trying to progress but no such luck. 95 is the highest I feel comfortable at without back pain.

I have been eating at increased calories and such for a while now-- My diary is open feel free to check there and see if that is where my issue is. Any suggestions or opinions are welcomed.

Yesterdays workout

Squats 4x5 80lbs - havent been doing 5x5 to save on a little time and got kinda bored since I do them every workout.
    bench 5x5 85 lbs
    rows 5x5 95 lbs
    chest and tricep accessory work ( chest flys, tricep dips, tricep extension, etc)

From this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1082252-strength-gains-2-weeks-in

The novice phase can last as long as three to nine months, though, so milk it for all it's worth while you can.

Hey bumblebums, jumping in with a q, (sorry for hijacking, maegmez!) if I have not seen linear improvement for nearly that long, any thought on why that might be? I was able to increase by 2.5kg/5lbs only 3 or 4 times, if that before feeling like I hit a wall. Am still increasing (very slowly now, a kg a week, if that), but maybe that still falls within the norm of n00b gains?

Speed doesn't actually matter to me, it's not like I can change how my body wants to progress, but just curious vis à vis what you said above!

(It is possible I just need to eat more. I am aware that my feeding lags behind whenever I get careless.)

It's hard to know without more information. But it's important to eat enough (maintenance or more), sleep enough, rest plenty (no half-marathon training between lifting sessions), and have good form--otherwise what I said does not apply. One way to tell when the linear nature of gains breaks down when you start regressing--that is, you are unable to lift weights you could previously do.
    Edited by bumblebums On August 26, 2013 11:03 am

You may need to reevaluate some things. Eating enough calories? Enough rest? Resting long enough between sets? etc

That being said, what helped me jump from 95lbs to 100lbs on rows was a few workouts doing 3x8 @ 95lbs. I think I did it for 3 workouts and then tried 100lbs @ 3x5 and didn't have a problem.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Can I get a "HELL YEAH!" for newbie strength gains? Bumped up all my weights today, and though it was far from easy, it certainly wasn't my hardest workout yet. Squats 80lbs, Bench press 70lbs, Pendlay row 90lbs.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Can I get a "HELL YEAH!" for newbie strength gains? Bumped up all my weights today, and though it was far from easy, it certainly wasn't my hardest workout yet. Squats 80lbs, Bench press 70lbs, Pendlay row 90lbs.

Hell yeah!!! Get it girl!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You ladies move too fast for me! We also have some family stuff going on, so I'm not on much.

Last week of Texas for me:

Squats 5x5 @180
    OHP 5x5 @ 75
    Deadlifts 1x5@ 210

Some hanging leg lifts and pushups.

I think I'll be moving on to Wendler when this is over, as my schedule will finally allow for 4 days at the gym. And volume day is kicking my rear end, even at full maintenance calories.
  • grandevampire
    Options
    7.5km run this morning as per my training schedule, one month to go until the race.

Thanks to a wake up call from bumblebums about why I might not be progressing very quickly as a Stronglifts beginner, I am now officially on maintenance calories! I was only supposed to be on a 250 calorie deficit, but now I feel like I have an unlimited quote to fill?? Ack!
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hi all...so, I tried a Crossfit class Saturday and really liked it. Love the way the group makes me push myself, and the input on form from the coach is so useful. I'm going to try to crossfit a couple times a week for the next two months, so I won't be following SL for a while (at least not entirely...I may add a once-a-week SL-inspired session to the crossfit schedule if I can). I'm sure I'll be back eventually, but for now, have fun and be strong, ladies!
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Signed up for the gym today so I shall be there tomorrow. Toying with maybe getting a feel for the place then in a few weeks booking a PT session to check out my form and see what they say. I won't book anything right away as I want to get lifting again and my form is ok on low weights, it was only as I got heavier I started to twist. I might be able to sort a lot out by myself.