Super Strong Squatters - September check in and chat

Options
lwoodroff
lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
Some alliteration this month!

Replies

• inkysmurf
    Options
    Nice title x (aherm had to google to actually see what alliteration meant )

Squats 5x5@80kg /176.3lbs - felt much more confident on these (no I will not be squished!) - thanks for the advice to stick and not deload!

OHP - 5x5@25kg/55.1lbs - FINALLLYYYYYYY BOOOOOYAHHHHH - boobs out (chest up) bigger rests between sets and this is done (huge thanks to the advice given xxx) now finally after something like 7/8 weeks I can move on.

deadlifts 1x5@85kg/187.39lbs - going to move up in 2.5kgs I think to build me up for hopefully hitting 100kg....eeeek

Happy lifting ladies.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Oops sorry db didn't mean to be elitist!

So jealous of your lifting! :-)

The huz has just gone for his run, then I can get to the gym and pick up the shopping on the way home (trying click and collect for the first time!).

My plan is to get some video of at least my squats today... Hopefully at 40kg where I think they are fine and heavier so y'all can diagnose what I need to fix!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I have to kick my backside into gear.... term starts next week I have a work schedule and have listed my lifting days on that, to make sure I actually fit it in!!! I'm hoping once I'm in a routine with everything, I'll get back into the habit of regular workouts. Right now my life's been all over the place with frequent schedule changes and now moving house.... yes I counted the plates when they got delivered into the new flat, one of the first things I did lol.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Good session today, stuck at 50kg squats to look at form. Vids to come once uploaded.
    bench 40kg 5(just!), 4,3. New PR and delighted. My biggest change has been cueing myself to squeeze my shoulder blades together throughout the move, and really utilising my legs.
    Pendlay rows 47.5kg also a new weight, did 3x5 but suspect I was bouncing the body a bit high and need to repeat.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Ditto... I hope to get back on track once I have the funeral. I miss lifting something terrible. :sad:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Ok, ladies,

After a one month break from lifting in order to reset my mindset, I am re-starting SL with a complete focus on form. I am not worried about adding weight right now, I just want to nail my form, esp in squats. And I will be reporting my progress to y'all.

See you in the gym!!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Just tagging the new thread so's I can follow your exploits!
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    put my vids in the new form check sticky.. your thoughts appreciated! :)
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Think I might try to keep up with this thread again, and what better time than a new month!

Starting linear MadCow tomorrow. (Ran sl through Dec-Jun and then did 6 weeks of Beautiful BA.) A friend sent me a spreadsheet where you can adjust the ramp up for each lift. The recommended is 2.5%. On squat I switched to 6 and set my max weight low since my squat form tends to get "dodgy" (stolen from Lydia) at higher weights. So it ramps up in a way that lets me practice quite a bit in the first month while still getting a decent gain on my 1RM by the end of the cycle. Deadlift set at 3.25% as and the rest of my lifts at 2.5.

Good luck ladies and Happy September!
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Think I might try to keep up with this thread again, and what better time than a new month!

Starting linear MadCow tomorrow. (Ran sl through Dec-Jun and then did 6 weeks of Beautiful BA.) A friend sent me a spreadsheet where you can adjust the ramp up for each lift. The recommended is 2.5%. On squat I switched to 6 and set my max weight low since my squat form tends to get "dodgy" (stolen from Lydia) at higher weights. So it ramps up in a way that lets me practice quite a bit in the first month while still getting a decent gain on my 1RM by the end of the cycle. Deadlift set at 3.25% as and the rest of my lifts at 2.5.

Good luck ladies and Happy September!

Huh?! Me no understand... But sounds impressive!
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    I noticed something while deadlifting today -- my grip strength has really improved!

While I use a mixed grip for my work set, I always complete my warm-up sets with an overhand grip. Today, one of these warm-up sets was with 115 lbs.

I was using the overhand grip without a problem, and then I realized -- "hey, wait a minute...isn't 115 lbs the weight where my grip always used to fail, forcing me to switch to a mixed grip in order to go any higher on my deadlift????"

I checked my training log, and saw that this was indeed the case. My grip is getting stronger, and the gloves that I had foolishly purchased a while ago lie somewhere far in the bottom of my gym bag, untouched. :happy:
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

Huh?! Me no understand... But sounds impressive!

Lol. Not that impressive. I was trying to be concise. Fail!

There are a quite a few madcow spreadsheets around. Some have the increase per week in weight, and some by a % of weight. They are all based off your max weight and you can put in anywhere from 1-8? rep max. It typically has you reaching your previous 1rm for reps on week 4. The spreadsheet I'm using increases by a % of weight every week, and allows you to change the increase. My squat 1RM is 215, but it was a pretty sloppy 215. I'd like to work on my form so I set my "max squat" very low, and my % of weight increased much higher than the suggested 2.5% Thus I am starting week 1 at 117 1x5 and ending week 12 at 222 1x3.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    Hey Ladies - I'd like to de-lurk. :D. I've been stalking y'all since June, when I used your advice pretty heavily to get started with SL. At the time I felt like I had nothing to add to the convo, but now I've been at it for about 9 weeks, and actually sorta get it a bit. I can definitely use the support and advice if such a knowledgeable group, and am happy to provide whatever feedback I can.

My highest working sets so far are:
    Bench - 95 (can do 1-2x5 at 100 but then back to 95)
    Squat - 120
    Dead lift - 120
    Rows - 70 (have done a few sets at 75)
    OHP - 60

So, a few weeks ago I tweaked my back (not while lifting) and the lifting aggravates that - so I stopped progressively adding for some lifts, and dropped weight on some. I also have realized I'm not going as low as I want with my squats and that my DL form seems ti be aggravating the back issue. Last session, I dropped the squat weight to 95 and STILL was feeling it in my back. Grrr. So, thinking about dropping squat and DL back to the 75-85 range and working my way back up.

I also struggle to not rise up when doing rows, so I dropped the weight to 65 my last session. Frankly, that doesn't feel like a big challenge - but when I increase the weight I find that I sort a half stand up. Not sure what to do other than keep the weight lower.

Anyway, nice to officially meet y'all and to come out of the closet, so to speak. I've really appreciated following along, but starting to feel like a leech...
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Today, one of these warm-up sets was with 115 lbs.

LOL Your warm-up sets are almost my working weight. *sheepish grin*
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Hey Ladies - I'd like to de-lurk. :D.

welcome, ex-lurker!
    just in case there are other lurkers around, you really don't have to be able to 'add' anything to contribute here, just participate and be supportive, share your joys and your woes.. there's usually someone around who's been through it/going through it/can offer a fresh perspective, and while we have some experienced and knowledgeable gals here, most of us are experiencing lifting for the first time and muddling our way through it together [that would be me in that group!] :)

You may want to check out this thread too!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1031668-as-well-as-a-strong-woman-who-are-you
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    deadlift day!

So I did my 10 minutes on the elliptical - still hating on the cardio lol!

Squats at 25kg or 55lb

OHP at 12.5kg or 27.5lb

Deadlift 40kg or 90lb

Pretty pleased with that so far and really glad to be back lifting :)
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Oh, and there was some dude next to me using a smith machine for squats. I can see what people mean about the effect on form, he was leaning back so far in to the bar he would fall over if it was taken away.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Hey lifties, I've come back to the 5x5 fold and am determined to see it through this time. Started it about this time last year, had AMAZING results for 2 months and then got derailed by a series of life events that saw me kick my healthier eating and exercise to the kerb. Can't quite believe it's taken me this long to get back around.

I've been eating well for a month so think that habit is nailed in again - went to Spain for a week and only put on half a pound - score!

So now it's time to start lifting again - and man, the deload has been awfully painful. Shockingly painful. When I finished just before December last year I was about 2 weeks off a bodyweight squat which would have seen me bouncing round the room like a loon.

So serious deload and concentration on form and I'm gonna build it slow and steady. Not sharing my stats as they really are shameful but the sets are in the bag and it can only get better.

Nice to see you all and fingers crossed i don't get derailed this time - got a 6 month timescale in front of me before I go to Egypt on holiday and I'm determined the body i cram in my bikini in March is going to be radically different to the one that flopped about on a beach in Spain last week :smile:
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Did Workout A yesterday and decided to deload on the BP and Pendlay rows. Hubby told me both were getting very sloppy so I'm going to work on form before increasing.

He also noticed my right arm was "weaker" than my left in the BP. WHAT??? That's impossible! My right side is dominant. After thinking about it, I decided the weakness was caused by my loading and unloading HIS heavier weights on barbell squats in the power rack. We work out together and I do my squats between his sets. Because I'm right dominant I always reach for the plates with the right and bear most of the weight on that arm.

Maybe this is why I am hardly progressing at all on BP and OHP. My gains do seem to come when he is out of town and I'm not racking/unracking heavy plates multiple times.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Back to lifting after a two-week-or-so break due to a bruised foot. Still following the weights on the Texas spreadsheet, but I deloaded slightly from where I left off. And I think on the "volume" day, I'll do 3x5 instead of 5x5. I'm going to keep lifting and look forward to progressing, but I also want to start doing some bodyweight workouts for cardio instead of just walking. Plus I'm playing around with calorie intake, so I need to see how it goes.

This afternoon - Squats - 4x5@ 155 lbs, OHP 3x5 @85, DL 1x5@200

Felt good, but my legs were definitely shaky coming upstairs afterwards :)