Super Strong Squatters - September check in and chat

Options

Replies

• YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    good arch support versus flat shoes for lifting? *confused*
    thanks for the help, I'll stretch well tonight! :)

Sorry - not for lifting, but for all the other time on your feet! The more you can keep your arch stretched/supported when you're walking around, the better. Also, if you can reduce your time in heels (your job seems like a heels sort of gig, maybe) the better b/c that shortens the facia and promotes the inflammation. Mine gets bad when I go back and forth between heels and flats a lot.

I am lifting in brooks pure line shoes, which are their minimalist shoes - but the way the lacing works, it's tight across my arch and so it feels supported w/o padding.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies,

I lifted today and it was alright... I had a personal trainer come over and tell me that my DL form is all wrong.. That kinda bummed me out.

OHP (How I HATE thee)- 3X5 @ 55lbs 2X4 @ 55lbs
    Squats- 5X5 @ 100lbs
    Pendlay Row- 5X5 @ 95lbs (These are getting easier now that I don't lower my back so much)
    Shoulder Shrugs- 5X5 @ 130lbs
    Machine Crunches- 5X5 @ 70lbs
    Romanian Deadlift- 1X3 @ 155lbs 1X3 @ 165lbs

I feel I can deadlift more but my grip is sucking badly.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Yobecca comment: Fisherlassie - one of my fellow boot camp instructors always tells campers, when we're doing air squats "The more of these you do, the longer you'll be able to go to the bathroom by yourself! Squat for independence!" Have you tried, or looked into, using a foam roller for your butt issue? I have IT band issues, and started foam rolling those. But as my needs have changed, I'm rolling my quads, hammies, and butt now too - it hurts while you're doing it, but is so effective at working out muscle/joint issues.

Oh yes I hadn't thought about going to the bathroom!!! Very good point! I will try some sort of roller thing for my butt issues. Would a tennis ball work? Thanks for the suggestion.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies,

I lifted today and it was alright... I had a personal trainer come over and tell me that my DL form is all wrong.. That kinda bummed me out.

Did (s)he tell you what you were doing wrong? Do you trust their opinion? Did they show you the proper way to do it? I only ask because unless they powerlift, I don't trust their opinion. The "trainers" at my gym have no idea what to do and it's left me with a distrust of all trainers until they can otherwise prove themselves. I wouldn't be bummed out unless you value their opinion. In the mean time, you could submit a video and let us pick it apart. :wink: :tongue:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh it's been a while since I pushed 1 RM deadlifts and forgot how fun those are. Only got to 125 but I'm a happy girl now. Sometimes ya gotta lift what ya gotta lift. :heart:

Oh yea there were power cleans and Pendlays too but only at 50 so ... whatevs.

TGIF !!! :drinker:
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Too much awesomeness going on in here! 5 pages in and it's only been one week!

I am getting reallllly itchy to get back under the bar - thankfully Monday is almost here, and I can start Wendler. Weee hoooooo!
  • YoBecca
    Options
    Oh yes I hadn't thought about going to the bathroom!!! Very good point! I will try some sort of roller thing for my butt issues. Would a tennis ball work? Thanks for the suggestion.

I use one like this: http://www.amazon.com/Exervo-Nimbus-EnduraBead-Roller-Round/dp/B004JOENI8/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_text_y
    And I roll out my glutes the way this woman does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Su5Svij_4 (except that I roll out the "center" of each butt cheek, and then angle more to get the side - but how she has her leg crossed is good form. Also the doctor here says 30 seconds, but I do 20 reps in each position. I do my IT bands slightly differently than him, but you can also roll out your hammies in this same way)

A tennis ball might be a bit soft to really get into the muscle. I know people who use PVC pipes - but that sounds painful to me. The foam roller is pretty firm, and it hurts like hell (in the moment - feels so good afterwards)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies,

Did (s)he tell you what you were doing wrong? Do you trust their opinion? Did they show you the proper way to do it? I only ask because unless they powerlift, I don't trust their opinion. The "trainers" at my gym have no idea what to do and it's left me with a distrust of all trainers until they can otherwise prove themselves. I wouldn't be bummed out unless you value their opinion. In the mean time, you could submit a video and let us pick it apart. :wink: :tongue:

I kinda understood what he was saying. I was using too much of my back when I was getting to the heavier weight. I am going to deload and work on pushing up with my legs and glutes, not my back. I am going to do a video soon...
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Set A again

Question - rows. I struggle with rows and I'm sure it's a mental thing. I slipped a disc a few years ago in my back and ever sine have had ongoing back problems. Squats and deads don't bother my back, in fact when I'm lifting my back problem go away - I'm assuming it's due to my core getting stronger. But bending over for rows just feels wrong. Plus there's the fact the height is all wrong and yadda yadda. So as I am restarting I've been subbing dumb bell rows but it feels like an almighty cheat - and I know I'm going to end up hitting grip problems much earlier than I will with the barbell.

Any advice?
  • grandevampire
    Options
    Sorry - not for lifting, but for all the other time on your feet! The more you can keep your arch stretched/supported when you're walking around, the better. Also, if you can reduce your time in heels (your job seems like a heels sort of gig, maybe) the better b/c that shortens the facia and promotes the inflammation. Mine gets bad when I go back and forth between heels and flats a lot.

I am lifting in brooks pure line shoes, which are their minimalist shoes - but the way the lacing works, it's tight across my arch and so it feels supported w/o padding.
    I have to say that the point of true minimalist shoes is to eliminate external support. It is meant to mimic being barefoot, while keeping out dirt and keeping pointy things from cutting your feet (i.e. VFFs or Merrell Vapor Gloves). But that is a whole other discussion!
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options

A tennis ball might be a bit soft to really get into the muscle. I know people who use PVC pipes - but that sounds painful to me. The foam roller is pretty firm, and it hurts like hell (in the moment - feels so good afterwards)

At my Crossfit gym, they sell Lacrosse balls for doing this. I tried using a kids bouncy bouncy rubber ball at home (bought primarily because I was bored shopping one day and needed to bounce around Target to distract myself. Nothing like being a 7year old going on 47!) and it did ok. Mightn't have enough strength to keep pressure for long though. Just try one of your kid's balls (or your own, if you have an over active inner-child too!)

Edited to add... I got a foam roller online for $30. It hurts, so I don't use it often enough, but when I do, it makes a difference! Going to follow Yobekkas video tips later today...
  • DaniH826
    Options
    I kinda understood what he was saying. I was using too much of my back when I was getting to the heavier weight. I am going to deload and work on pushing up with my legs and glutes, not my back. I am going to do a video soon...

Try a mixed grip and tighten everything before you lift. The mixed grip will force you to use your legs/glutes a lot more and push up rather than yank. Your core and arms should be there to stabilize and guide the bar up, rather than yank it.
    A tennis ball might be a bit soft to really get into the muscle.

It's not. Tennis balls make me cry. They get into spots a foam roller can't and really help work out those trigger points very specifically. I swear by them now. Spend a few minutes with a tennis ball wedged between your back/glutes/shoulders/neck and a wall and try it. Also, a really great way to make yourself cry is to sit on the floor, put one ankle over the opposite knee to expose your piriformis, and then roll around on a tennis ball under your butt. EHR.MAH.GERD. :sad:

If the tennis ball keeps rolling down the wall because your arm isn't long enough to get it into that perfect spot on your upper back/shoulder/neck, put it in a pantyhose. Works great. Just make sure to keep it put until the pain lets up, because that's the point where the lactic acid is being released so that it can be absorbed by your body.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Fisher for some reason I'm finding it awesome that you are skateboarding.

Nice ride Zanyzana!

Also what chubby said about the trainer times like...a billion.

More madcow today. Did squats 125x3, Bench 118x3, Row 80x3 and did assisted dips 3x8 supersetted with pushdowns 3x8 @40lbs. Then my triceps exploded.
  • YoBecca
    Options

I have to say that the point of true minimalist shoes is to eliminate external support. It is meant to mimic being barefoot, while keeping out dirt and keeping pointy things from cutting your feet (i.e. VFFs or Merrell Vapor Gloves). But that is a whole other discussion!

Yeah, the Brooks line is definitely not actual minimalist shoes - just their more minimalist line. Which I am okay with. I had a good 2 years of active plantar fasciaitis, with daily pain that was usually tolerable, but sometimes unbearable, and even though I have it under control for the past 2 years, that's only b/c I baby the hell out of it. If I go a few days without taking All The Precautions (including sleeping in special sex-repellant socks), I start getting pain. It's a win for me that I am able to lift and now also run in a more minimalist shoe. Will prolly never go full minimalist and never ever barefoot - I can't even walk around the house barefoot without flare ups. Stupid PF sux.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    YAY! I did my second lift day this week, hitting my goal (2 days a week) and went up about 5 pounds in lifts since Tuesday. I should be BACK up to my pre-bronchitis lifts by the end of next week!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    thanks for the shoe thoughts.. so, given that the foot is sore, something pure minimalist would probably be counterproductive. I therefore need something 'acceptable' for lifting (ie 0mm heel-toe drop) with a little cushioning for el heelo and some arch support I guess?!

*looks for magic shoe-giving unicorn*
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Got some sofsole gel arch supports to try in my deck shoes, at a fiver worth trying first!
  • DaniH826
    Options
    I'm loving the lifting progress, but frustrated with the lack of fat loss. Part of it is that I just cannot force myself to log food anymore. I"m totally burned out on that after doing it for a year with minimum progress. I think I may just try to focus on getting stronger, eating healthy, and feeling good. Screw the stuipd scale and the stupid measuring tape----the point is to be fit and healthy, right?

*nods approvingly*

Also, welcome back!! :flowerforyou:
  • DaniH826
    Options
    Set A again

Question - rows. I struggle with rows and I'm sure it's a mental thing. I slipped a disc a few years ago in my back and ever sine have had ongoing back problems. Squats and deads don't bother my back, in fact when I'm lifting my back problem go away - I'm assuming it's due to my core getting stronger. But bending over for rows just feels wrong. Plus there's the fact the height is all wrong and yadda yadda. So as I am restarting I've been subbing dumb bell rows but it feels like an almighty cheat - and I know I'm going to end up hitting grip problems much earlier than I will with the barbell.

Any advice?

You lift from home, right?

Here's the thing: No program is worth you jacking up your back over. It doesn't matter if it "feels" like cheating, because your health is priority. And if I have to choose between health and some program ... well then health is going to win out. Period. Unless you really would love to end up in the hospital having your back operated on.

My suggestion to you would be to stick with dumbbell rows and do a mix of increased reps and weights, and take those up as heavy as you can. So you could start with 5x5, then do 5x6, etc up to 5x12 (I personally recommend no more than 12), and then increase weights at that point and start with 5x5 again. One-arm dumbbell rows are a great exercise, especially if you actually go heavy on those ("heavy" for me means like a 25 pound dumbbell to start with). If your back still gives you fits even with the support of the bench, try putting your bench upright and placing your upper body on it for support, like so:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/dumbbell-incline-row

Every so often you could throw Pendlays into the mix, but certainly not aggressively, because they do put a load on your lower back, so be aware.

The only thing Pendlays do is a) give you a pulling movement (which any solid exercise program should have) and b) they work your upper back muscles.

You could also try maybe assisted pull-ups or chin-ups or whatever. There's no magic in barbell/Pendlay rows. It's just a rowing movement. They're fabulous, but if you can't do them, there's other equally fabulous rowing movements you can do instead, so no worries.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Using a rolling pin to roll my arch out on, and dropping my heels for ten seconds each on every step up the stairs. Ow.