Super Strong Squatters - September check in and chat

Options

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    fine! could do with the half size down for the left foot as it's a little loose on the heel, nothing I care enough about though, and the right is still snug but my big toe isn't trying to burrow its way out for freedom! I suspect they are slightly narrow in the toe box. I'll let you know how tonight goes!
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I got back under the bar this week and I love it! Finished Nia Shanks' (s)hero and swtiched to her true minimalist program. It's very similar to SL but less squatting.

I thought my numbers would be down as Nia has had me doing slightly more repts, but they are not too bad. Squat 115 2 x 7 and 105 1 x 8. OHP 70 2 x 7 and 63 1 x 8. Then knocked out some assisted chinups and finished up by playing football with my kids. That felt good all around.

I think I may be back, ladies. :laugh:
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    ooh just skimmed an interview with rip where he says deadlifts in weightlifting shoes gave him his best PRs. I think if that is the case, that will save me taking lots of shoes to the gym! Lol..
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Yes! Garish shoes! So.. shoes for squat, anything else I can wear them for? Rows? OHP? Bench I assume is immaterial. Reads should be back to deck shoes I guess? Thanks!

You got some shoes! Woo-Hoo! Curious to see what you think of them, especially when doing Squats

I wear mine for Squats, Power Cleans, Bench Press, & OHP. As far as Deadlifts go, I do not like the elevated heel. So I just stick with my Soccer socks.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Shoe on rule at the gym, so it is lifting shoes or my decks..
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Bummer! Give the shoes a try w/ Deadlifts. I'll be curious to hear what you think.
  • jogirlruns
    jogirlruns Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - no time to catch up on all the posts today - I have a student with me and I have to behave!

Did workout B on Friday:
    Squat 80lbs 5x5 - worked in with a nice young fellow who helped me a bit with my form!
    OHP: 55 lbs 5x5 - feeling like I'm finally developing some upper body strength!!!
    Deads 125 lbs 1X5 Not too shabby!

This week will be a bit of a bust, I'm afraid - two dinner meetings, a dental appointment and my son's birthday.... basically claiming every last evening. Then two more birthday parties this weekend. Must also squeeze in some baking, cleaning, shopping and wrapping. BEING SUPERWOMAN SUCKS SOMETIMES!!!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

That sucks. I forget my shoes at least once a week and lift in my socks.

Those shoes are super cute. What is the heel?
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Some non compressible rubber compound. I think I'm in love. Shoes are great, trying out the other gym (no ac but fans and lots of doors to open), and there is NOBODY IN THE SMITH MACHINE!

Eta bumper plates! Proper round plates for Deadlift!
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    But the meatheads squatting 30kg thinking they are big tough guys in the smith machine give me so much entertainment - I would miss them :laugh:
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Well they still have one, always that chance. A fight class going on in the big room, about 15ppl in the gym area and that was "busy". Squat rack all to myself. I'm in heaven. Female population me plus one lady being trained (by the instructor who I was going to try at the other gym but he disappeared.. found!) and one lady in the class. Very friendly in a "here to work" kind of way, my shoes got lots of attention!
    Kept it manageable so 40kg squats 3x5, very last rep felt a wee bit tipped forward but in general much more solid. Yay shoes! Stuck at 30kg on OHPs and lower back feeling them. Really need to sort form out here. Deadlifts with lovely round bumper plates 3 at 60 and 70 then 5 at 80, which felt a big jump up.

If I resign at gym I still can't finish there until end of October. Boo. Any other questions I should be asking of ghetto gym?
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Things NOT to do: rush through bench press reps at maximum weight. It was a big pile of suck for me today.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I got back under the bar this week and I love it! Finished Nia Shanks' (s)hero and swtiched to her true minimalist program. It's very similar to SL but less squatting.

I thought my numbers would be down as Nia has had me doing slightly more repts, but they are not too bad. Squat 115 2 x 7 and 105 1 x 8. OHP 70 2 x 7 and 63 1 x 8. Then knocked out some assisted chinups and finished up by playing football with my kids. That felt good all around.

I think I may be back, ladies. :laugh:

That's awesome. I'm really liking the 3x8 I'm doing. Had to do a major deload since the difference between 5 and 8 is rather ridiculous (for me anyway). Having fun just lifting twice a week though. Making every rep count and taking all the time in the world working my way back up slooowly. :smile:
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Snuck A day in today - should have been a rest day but I am mainly going for form and this way I still get my 3 days in, I can have a solid core and cardio day tomorrow and be ready for some power on Friday.

So I kept with the same weights for my squats 35kg, I have a feeling that I may end up here for a little while. My hip is tight and form is getting to be something I am really having to work at. Need to get my chiro sessions booked asap!

Bench, I stayed at 25kg which was my intention anyway as I was not happy with my performance the first time. I think probably 1 more session at that weight and I will be ready to go up again, form is not bad as such. More that I try and get a real push and squeeze from my pecs at the top and I am struggling with that. Also the last couple of each set is hard and gets progressively harder. So an increase will at best result in failure to complete.

Ladies on that note, when you bench how far do you position youself forward of the rack? I find occasionally I end up taking the bar forward and up because in my mind I am "avoiding" the rack. And the benches have foot rests. I find I am comfy enough with feet on the floor but would the foot rests help at all?

Rows at 40kg or 88lb. I am finding these easier to increase now I have lifted the bar up but I was wondering if from a fitness type perspective rather than a strength one what the advantages of pendlay rows over traditional rows or vice versa. I ask because I think I was getting better form and pulling my shoulder blades together better with the traditional row. I know the strength advantages of the pendlay but if the muscles worked are the same I may revert to a lower weight for traditional rows as I am not so bothered about gaining strength as I am about getting a workout and getting fitter and leaner.

Also where do you all aim the bar when you row? Belly button, base of sternum, higher (towards the girls? ;) )
  • pintobean
    pintobean Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies...just chiming in. Back on track for food as of this week. Goal is back to training next week. Looking forward to it after a huge break. Keeping fingers crossed.
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    [
    That's awesome. I'm really liking the 3x8 I'm doing. Had to do a major deload since the difference between 5 and 8 is rather ridiculous (for me anyway). Having fun just lifting twice a week though. Making every rep count and taking all the time in the world working my way back up slooowly. :smile:

Dani, I totally agree. The difference between 5 and 8 is rather ridiculous. It's kinda crazy, really.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options

Ladies on that note, when you bench how far do you position youself forward of the rack? I find occasionally I end up taking the bar forward and up because in my mind I am "avoiding" the rack. And the benches have foot rests. I find I am comfy enough with feet on the floor but would the foot rests help at all?

Also where do you all aim the bar when you row? Belly button, base of sternum, higher (towards the girls? ;) )

1) I usually position myself low so that I am fully clear of the racks of the bar - like, the bar is even with my forehead when in the rack. Any higher up, and I bump the racks while BP, or I worry that I will, which throws off my form.

I set up Reebok steps (with one riser each) to the sides of our bench for my feet. Otherwise, when I lay on the bench only my toes reach the ground - which means I can't use my legs for balance or leverage, and that I am arching my back. The Reebok steps are stable and I can get them high enough that I can firmly put both feet in them. (Before I discovered the Reebok steps I was stacking 2 25lb plates under each foot. 100 lbs just for my feet!)

2) Rippetoe says to raise it pretty high - chest/rib area, not belly. But, as I mentioned before, this is the only lift in WO A that aggravates my lower back, and its more important to me that I keep being able to lift/run/move than it is that I do pendlay rows. So, I'm seriously thinking about ditching it an trading in another lift to WO A - maybe I'll try traditional rows? Not sure what would be a good substitute.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Re: Bench position - I try to have my eyes looking straight up at the bar. That way when I lift it out I am clear of the pins, but don't have to move it very far.

I love seeing all the awesome you ladies are pumping out!!!

Wendler, week 2, deadlift day:

1x3@155
    1x3@175
    1x8@200 I was feeling really full of myself, then watched a guy do 10 reps at 335. Decided I was still proud of myself because - HELLO, 1600 pounds in one set!!!!! :smile:

3x15 glute ham raises (I used a machine). I think I need to watch a video on this again for a few form tweaks. It's tough, but in a grunty, I'm a badass way.
    5x15 straight leg raises
    100 step farmers walk/waiters carry combo - 35 pound dumbbell in the down hand, 22.5 dumbbell in the up hand, walk 100 steps, then switch. Thought I would do some HIIT, but after that I was done done done.

Now, I eat everything in sight. :smile: Have a good hump day, all!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Workout A done...

I was feeling it a bit more today (very happy about that) I know it's probably weird to look forward to your first fail but hey what can I say gives me something to set the bar with.

Today was squats 5@80, Bench 5@70 and Row 5@70...

I have to admit I feel oddly guilty...like I am not doing enough. Like I "should be" doing some sort of circut or HITT on my off days...I do walk most days but only a mile and that's to get my husband butt off the couch...so Am I doing enough for right now? Main goal is getting healthy, lowering bf% and if the weight comes off bonus...

I am up 2.5lbs from last week (assuming water retention due to the new routine) so I am not that worried about it. Correct me if I am wrong there.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Stephanie - sounds like you are right on track to me. 2.5 pounds in a week is totally water gain, so no worries - and yes, it's due to the lifting. Doing cardio is up to you. I didn't do any for the first 2 months I was lifting. I didn't really have the energy until I started to eat more. I think the main thing is just to move in whatever way makes you happy. :smile: