Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yay back to the gym today :D
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    OW! that sounds nasty. No, a box squat is where you put the box at an angle (point forward) and at the right height so that when you squat to 90 degrees you just sit down on it.

I thought I'd bit the bullet and get starting strength, but don't have a kindle.. and the paperback seems to be out of print and ££££££! Any advice?

I have an iPad with the kindle app on it, so have Starting Strength on that.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I hit 100lbs squats this morning and 105lbs deadlifts! I'm proud to hit one of those milestone markers. Squats I'm starting to lose form under the weight and may stick with 100lbs for a few more workouts just to see if I can correct my form back. Deadlifts are getting really really heavy for me-I've been doing some static holds to combat my weak grip and forearms. Grip is what is holding me back, not my legs powering through. Hopefully I can get 1x5 on 115 lbs next week, we'll see.

OHP I had to deload, I struggle with this one a lot but I think I wasn't consistent on the added weight? I have the SL app but obviously I wasn't paying attention. When I go back to the gym tonight I'll be trying 50lbs again.
    For bench I only got 4x5 on 70lbs (I think) yesterday. For both bench and OHP I'm switching to something like 3x5 because I workout before work and the long rests I need to complete my sets take too long so I end up rushing home to shower and get ready. They are also my weakest moves so I want to focus more on them.

Oh and rows, I'm doing better now since I've been doing static holds to improve my grip. My left hand never seems to want to hold onto the bar as well so that's slowly getting better. Also 70 lbs? Can't remember without looking!

Since I started with a 35lb bar on some moves and 45lbs on others at the beginning of August, I'm feeling so much stronger and love doing a** to grass squats and showing all the boys in the gym how to really do it :laugh:
  • inkysmurf
    Options
    Everyone is doing fab - I love knowing that everyone is focusing on getting stronger! no matter what (yo becca - owweeeee staples!!!)

slightly amended workout as the 82.kg/181.8lb squat had its fear hold on me (I am a squatting chicken...) - so I did a build up and will try and hit a full 5x5 next time

so today

squat 3x5@80kg/176.3lbs 2x5@ 82.5kg/181.8 - these were feckin' hard and scary and I thought I might get stuck and the fear of that powered me up...eeek.
    Bench 5x5@30kg/66lbs
    Row 5x5 @30kg/66lbs

Accessories - 40 situps/3x6 inverted rows/ 13 push ups (14 makes me fall down) /5 chin ups/ 170 air squats.

Then done a evil workout this afternoon courtesy of the amazing girlie (big l thanks!!!)
    20kg bar 6xdeadlift/6xromain deadlift/6xrow/6x hangclean (these were fun!!!) /6xfront squats/6x backsquats/ 6 xgoodmornings
    20kg bar 5xdeadlift/5xromain deadlift/5xrow/5x hangclean/5xfront squats/5x backsquats/ 5 xgoodmornings
    20kg bar 4xdeadlift/4xromain deadlift/4xrow/4x hangclean/4xfront squats/4x backsquats/ 4 xgoodmornings

^^^^^^ that is mental and hard and sweaty and is exactly what I need!! burn the fat/ build the muscles/ kick *kitten*.

My bum is still burning.... hopefully fat!
  • inkysmurf
    Options
    P.s hwillmott - ONLY!!! ONLY 70lb on the bench - that's AWESOME!!!
  • hananah89
    Options

Thanks!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I just carried 7 water canisters into my apartment..... 19l (i.e. 19kg) each, carried on my chest. I'm seriously consider next time getting them delivered to the bottom of the stairs not the top, so I can carry them upstairs too next time (we're on the 1st floor (USA 2nd floor). Am I completely mad LOL. dripping with sweat right now because of the heat/humidity though... and we had completely run out of water so I'm waiting for the cooler to actually cool the water before I drink any lol. AND i'm going to have a nice cup of tea!

Anyway, yay for heavy lifting for making me able to do stuff like that!! once upon a time I could barely lift the things at all....
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options

Thanks!
    Nice job on the squat/DL milestones, too!
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options

Then done a evil workout this afternoon courtesy of the amazing girlie (big l thanks!!!)
    20kg bar 6xdeadlift/6xromain deadlift/6xrow/6x hangclean (these were fun!!!) /6xfront squats/6x backsquats/ 6 xgoodmornings
    20kg bar 5xdeadlift/5xromain deadlift/5xrow/5x hangclean/5xfront squats/5x backsquats/ 5 xgoodmornings
    20kg bar 4xdeadlift/4xromain deadlift/4xrow/4x hangclean/4xfront squats/4x backsquats/ 4 xgoodmornings

^^^^^^ that is mental and hard and sweaty and is exactly what I need!! burn the fat/ build the muscles/ kick *kitten*.

My bum is still burning.... hopefully fat!

This sounds amazing - and I bow down before your 181lb squats!
  • crazyten
    crazyten Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi. First time posting on here. I just did week three workout A and was hoping for a 55 kg squat but failed dismally. So I had to deload (right lingo I hope)
    Anyhow here are my stats:
    Squats :44 kg
    Bench press: 44 kg
    Rows: 44 kg

All 5x5 by the way.

I was a bit disappointed with the squat, but this is a going somewhere slowly kinda journey so slow does it better. Its not a race after all.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!

Long time since I've been around here. Just crazy busy with travel for work and vacation. Got back under a barbell yesterday for workout A. Did a good deload and still feel it today. I get this week at home so I'll get 3 SL days in this week, but I may have to travel again next week so......

For now I'm at:

Squat 5x5 @ 95
    Bench 5x5 @ 75
    And did 3x10 inverted rows since the area I use for rows was occupied.

Finished up with 3x20 of kb pirate ship swings.

There is some great lifting going on here! Hopefully I'll be able to stop in here more often this week and then keep things going even on travel.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hey BAMFs!!

I had such an awesome workout today. It felt good to get back in the gym after everything that has been happening for the past 2 weeks. I deloaded on a few lifts just to make sure I can get back into the groove and by the last 2 lifts I was breaking PBs! :bigsmile:

Squats- 95 lbs
    Rows- 95 lbs
    Shoulder Shrugs- 125 lbs
    Deadlifts- 155 lbs (I can FINALLY deadlift my boyfriend's weight, as well as use the "BIG girl plates"!! (45 lbers)) :bigsmile:
    I did one rep on the bench at 85 lbs and the rest of my sets at 65 lbs.
    Machine crunches- 70 lbs
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    First B day.

Oh lord, I had forgotten just how much I HATE OHP. I mean, I seriously hate it. And it's the first lift I dropped when I stopped last year. But it ain't gonna beat me this time, keeping the weight low low low and going up slow slow slow and it WILL be done. My kid who is 19 and lifts coached me on form and even though it's excrutiating having him stood there with his arms folded and a frown on his face I've got to get over that :happy:

Out of all the lifts the deadlift is the one that's not suffered as much as the rest and should leap up.

And I had crazy DOMS from the restart so squats were interesting, lots of warm up sets.

Now just got to get the weight up to where it was and never stop lifting again :smile:
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    So I haven't been around much lately. But, I had to jump in to report that I hit a personal milestone last week---- I deadlifted 200 pounds. That's 1.5x bodyweight, ladies. Making me officially feel like a BEAST!

Man I love lifting heavy things.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Tested my 1RMs last week:

Squat: 170# up from 150#
    Deadlift: 170# up from 155#
    Bench: 105# - the same [sigh]
    OHP: 80# up from...I don't know because I never tested it before. :)

I'm taking a brief hiatus from the structured StrongLift work-out and throwing in some accessories only because I got a little bored. I'm still using the principle of adding weight every time I do a compound lift, but I needed a break. I plan to get back to the actual program again in a few weeks.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Really struggled with my lifting tonight. I kept all weights the same but things just felt heavy. And my form felt sloppy, which is probably why everything felt so freaking heavy. I almost didn't do it. I'm glad I did it, just for consistency, but it isn't one I'm proud of. :-P

Squats - 90 lbs
    Bench - 75 lbs
    Rows - 90 lbs
  • hananah89
    Options
    So I haven't been around much lately. But, I had to jump in to report that I hit a personal milestone last week---- I deadlifted 200 pounds. That's 1.5x bodyweight, ladies. Making me officially feel like a BEAST!

Man I love lifting heavy things.

Sweet!
  • hananah89
    Options

Thanks!
    Nice job on the squat/DL milestones, too!

Thanks!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Had pudding only dinner tonight.. amazing! Hopefully it will fuel equally amazing times tomorrow at the gym lol..
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Today I drove to the gym in my new car... YAY! It was a lovely way to get there... Then I did a B session.

Still did bodyweight squats. I tried 1 x 5 with the bar, and was all over the place. It's weird how I had them going so well and then lost them. I don't understand it at all!

OHP with just the bar. It felt heavy, but I did the whole 5 x 5. I was slowly building up before my back shat itself last week. I'll start building up again soon. I just want my back to be healthy1

Deads - I did 5 x 1 at 60kg. That's a drop back, but it certainly challenged me. I will double up on this again next week, I think.

Last night I started Scooby's progression for pull-ups, so did 5 x 8 "walking the plank" chin-up drops. I think I was weakened by that. My arms feel like deadwood today! But dammit, I wanna be able to do pull-ups!

Happy Thursday xx