Intros

Options

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, just joined this group. Decided recently that I'm going to be an Ironman LOL. I'm a runner, but want to venture into tri territory--have a sprint coming up in September. My ultimate goal is IMLP 2015.

Nice. LP is a great course! And a nice little town.

I figured it was close (I live in CT) and a good place to start.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I figured it was close (I live in CT) and a good place to start.

Awesome :) I'm from CT too(NL county) I'm training for a sprint-distance for August :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself a triathlete, at least not until next year maybe.

Did my first tri on saturday. Sprint distance, while I did well on the bike I pulled out a stellar 11th place in my age group.

So now I'm recovering from it and already planning a sprint and two olys for next year. It was a lot of fun, and exposed my failures in training, that I need to now address.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I joined because I keep seeing trijoe comment on topics so I figured I'd come in here and see what was up. I'm not sure if I'm ready to run out and put one of those swim-bike-run oval stickers on my truck but here is my experience. In 1/12 I did an indoor triathlon at the local YMCA. 500 yrd swim/6mile ride on a stationary bike/2 mile run on an indoor track. From that experience I wanted to do a more real Tri last summer but we moved and life got in the way. Fast forward to this summer I signed up for a locally popular Sprint Tri (400 yrd swim/10.5 bike/ 5K run) that I completed this last Saturday. I came in 167 out of 183, so you should be afraid of my breakaway speed. I'm probably done with Triathlons for this summer, but hopefully I can line-up one or two for next summer.

Also this year a co-worker and I got into Adventure Racing, we completed a 65+ Mile event this past April and we're 80% sure we're doing another one in November. I've noticed some of the stuff we dealt with in that event crosses over into Half Iron Man preperation so I'll be soaking up some of that discussion.

In the mean time, I'm training for a Half Marathon in 59 days. Long story, but I've signed up for 2 halves before and never made the starting grid. So, it's my first half, but not the first time I've trained for one.
  • fit4lifemom
    fit4lifemom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm a swimmer who started running as cross training. Then one of the master swim teams I was in actively recruited triathletes. So I gave into peer pressure and tried one. I'm brutal on the bike, but the overall event is fun. Took a long break after my kids were born, but am hoping to do a few teams next summer and maybe a sprint on my own. As long as I can keep facing my wind trainer this winter, it should be good.

Colleen
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP, but not triathlons. Did my first tri in 2001. I am Canadian, and was inspired to do my first tri after watching Simon Whitfield win the first Olympic gold in triathlon. I was already a swimmer and "jogger". Since then, I've done several triathlons from try-a-tri up to IM (IMFL 2010 and IMWI 2013). All of the races have been as an Athena. I just had my first child (a baby boy) in August and would like to get back into shape, lose the rest of this baby weight and maybe some that was there before Jonathan.

Goal is to do Muskoka 70.3 next year and a half marathon - going for the elusive PB (trained for it 3 times now, but each time have gotten a chest infection right before the race (the most recent time I was only 1 minute off pace, but 6 minutes off of what I think I was capable of.
  • kwilson18
    kwilson18 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Name: Karen
    Live in: Denver

I'm relatively new to MFP but have been doing tris for awhile. My first tri was actually...wait for it...in 1990. The I started on making babies and going to medical school, and I didn't do another until 1989. Since then I've done a few almost every summer, with my first Oly in 2012. I took 2013 off to rehab some nagging injuries, and now I'm ready to jump in again. I've joined a triathlon club here in Denver- TriBellas, and I'm planning on a half marathon (will be my second), a sprint, and a couple of Olys this summer. My goals are to 1) have fun, 2) not get injured, and 3) get faster :). Hopefully along with that I'll lose a couple of pounds that have snuck up on me in the last few years (sneaky little b****s).

I'm married, with two teenaged boys (one in college), and I'm a pediatrician, so finding time isn't always easy. But I need to make it a priority. My "Achilles heel" has always been consistency, because I let life get in the way of workouts, and then I try to jump back in and get injured. I'm one of those people who can't do yoga because I try too hard at it and get hurt!
  • eabernst
    eabernst Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello! Emily (33) from Chicago, not so new to MFP but newish to the social aspect. I've done 3 sprints (two Philly, 1 Chicago) and 1 Olympic (this past summer-- Chicago). For 2014 I'm hoping to do 1 or 2 sprints and 1 or 2 olys (and a bunch of running races including my first marathon). I'm aiming for a half ironman in 2015.

This year, with my first olympic, I became much more committed to training. I managed to not freak out during the swim like the previous year (yay) AND I achieved my 3 h 15 m goal (yay again!). So, this coming year, I'm hoping for a 3 hour total time but I know I'm going to have to lose those extra pounds to get there. Oh, and I want to win my age group in the bike, or at least top 5.

I started doing tris while I was in grad school, and one of my friends was in into them. I already biked everywhere, and went on long rides for recreation/exercise. I had much less experience swimming or running. Since graduating and starting my current job, I've found myself among a group of runners. They really have encouraged me to do more running races, so I've done a few ten milers and half-marathons. I never thought I'd come to enjoy running but I really do. Still, biking is my first love.

Swimming, well, I need to work on doing that a bit more. I do prefer open water to the pool, and just bought my first wetsuit. Now waiting for Lake Michigan to get warm enough (it will be a while). Hopefully this year I don't wait until April again to get in the pool.

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing about everyone's tips and experiences and participating in the conversation. I'd love to be buddies, so feel free to friend me!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm Dave and I live in Connecticut. I've been on MFP for awhile.

I'm an old guy of 56 who should know better, but I'm planning to train for my first Sprint distance event next June. I've run a few road races and obstacle events(TM at Mt Snow, Vt) over the last few years, so I"m going to give the Sprint Tri a whirl.

I've lost about 50lbs over the last two years by working with a personal trainer. During this time I've maintained a fairly consistent 6 days per week training schedule. Normal routine is 2days/wk strength work, and either 4 or 5 days of cardio. I currently run and ride a bike, so I'll need to learn and practice swimming techniques this winter.

I know how to swim, but haven't done it in quite awhile. So my next task is to get a swim coach to help me learn good swimming techniques. I'm guessing that my first few pool sessions will be a sobering reality check. :)

Anyway, looking forward to picking up tips from the experienced folks here and reading about your success stories.
  • CloudDogS
    Options
    Hi Dave
    Congrats on the weight loss and great you have a sprint on the horizon

I've not list weight for a few years for any length of time
    Could do with some tips
    I'm training for a sprint in may a hm in April a 60 mike ride in August and an Olympic in October when ill be 40
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    CloudDogS,

Thanks, I'm looking forward to a first Sprint.

Sounds like you have an ambitious plan for the year. I'll stand by for race reports from you as the year unfolds.
  • slerich
    slerich Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Howdy!

Name: Sabrina

Still pretty new to triathlons but I love it. Manager at my job challenged our department to join him in doing a freshmen triathlon in May 2010. I had just ran my frist 5k and thought he was crazy but he ensured me we had enough time to train for it. Did that one on a mountain bike and fell in love with them. Shortly after got pregnent with my son so had to stop doing Triathlons for a little while. After my son was born I ran my first 1/2 marthon which set the ball rolling for my triathlon season in 2012.

2012 I did 7 triathlons throughout the year starting with the freshmen and worked up to a olympic distance. I really enjoy the challenge and support triathlons bring me.

2013 was pretty slow for me. Found out that my ex-husband didn't really like the fact that I did triathlons or worked out even. So now that the divorce is final and I have got back to the gym and learning all over again what my body is capable, I'm ready for the next challenge!

2014 My Goal for 2014 is to complete a 1/2 Ironman in Septemeber! I know I can do this! It will take hard work and dedication but I got that!

Hope everyone on here will help support and push me to meet that goal! :)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Hiya

My name is Dave, 46 years old and living in Cannock, UK. I've never ran a tri before but I've got the urge to do so so I've entered a sprint and a standard next year. Seriously considering the Welsh Snowman in October next year as well but we will see :-) It will be good to see what other people are doing here as well :-)
  • antypim89
    antypim89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi am Antoinette,

I am 25 and an avid kickboxer. For years I've been meaning to sign myself up for something i.e. a 10k run however it just wasnt for me and a hectic university schedual meant I couldnt commit.

A few days ago I came across the London Triathlon and signed up for an olympic race...then I did something really crazy and signed up for a mini sprint and a sprint...I dont know what came over me?!

Well that being said I've plunged into the deep end so am trying to get up to speed with this new to me (very complicated!) sport so I can smash all 3 races and bring in a butt load of cash for the Cystic Fibrosis trust.

Hoping to make some new friends so please add : )
  • perkins_jerryw
    perkins_jerryw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am Jerry,

I have done several age group races as both a Clydesdale, and a joe-blow racer. Never fast (I joke that I am trying to get all of a race my money will pay for), but I have met and trained with some of the best people I have ever met the last few years. Several sprints, oly's and HIM's. Just three Ironman races (Coeur d'Alene and twice in Arizona). Two 70.3 races before summer 2014 planned (Oceanside, CA and Kona, HI).

Please add me and keep me motivated!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm Susan (47) and my goal for 2014 is to complete my first sprint-tri, and see what I want to do from there. I'm not interested in my time/speed at this point - I just want to finish - this is more of a personal bucket-list challenge, because if there had been a category in high school of 'least likely to do anything athletic', I would have won hands down. But, I started running several years ago, and have proven to myself that I can do that moderately well (I've run many 5K - 5M races), so maybe this is possible too :tongue: Plus, it seems like a great way to get in better shape.

The biggest challenge for me will be the swimming, as I am NOT a swimmer (of course, I would have said that about running several years back too!), but I'm looking into some swim lessons (I have a weird freestyle style that involves not putting my face in the water - fine for laps alone but probably won't work well in a crowded race) and may join a masters swim club too. I'm not strong in biking either, but I think I can wing that - as soon as the weather warms up I'll get my bike out and start logging some miles. There are two sprints that I'm looking at, one in June and one in August, so I think I should be able to get ready for at least one of those.

Feel free to add me - I can use all the friends, tips, and motivation I can get :flowerforyou:
  • rmhmartin
    rmhmartin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Becky and I'm training for my first HIM in May (Busselton). I am 37 and am from MN/CO/TX but currently living in Singapore. I did three sprints in 2012 and two olympics in 2013. I've said for a few years now that I want to do a full IM when my kids are all in school full time (2014-2015 school year) so I decided to go ahead and sign up for the half for this year. :) I'm mediocre in all three sports but I try to look at it as I've just got a lot of room for improvement! :)

I'm also looking for more triathlete friends on MFP to help with motivation/inspiration! :)
  • Icemanbn
    Icemanbn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I started triathlon in 2009 to continue a weight-loss that started in 2005 at about 400 pounds. I've since done two Ironman distance races as well as several shorter courses. I am 62. I am a USA level 1 triathlon coach. I live in Central Illinois.
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am Jason, 39 years old, stil in the US Army after 20 years!! I am a 13 year cancer survivor, that is what woke me up to do something big, so I ran a marathon. I started Tris in 2010 and had to take a break in 2011 due to deployments. Looking to get back in it this year and need some tri friends to motivate me!
  • halfiron2014
    Options
    Hi everyone-

As the name suggests I am aiming for my first HIM this year. I am planning on doing the Rev3 Pocono in Sept. I also have 2 sprints and an Oly this spring scheduled! So i find myself back on MFP, trying to loose the extra 20 pounds i have been carrying to the finish line the last few years. Hopefully this year will be different and i can slim down. I would like to adopt a paleo diet and eat more organic foods.