Pumkin Beer

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Just finished the bottle and paired it with a nice ribeye, really liked it. Liked it better than Pumking, the spice notes are pretty apparent, quite tasty.

Excellent! I really hope some makes it way down here. I'm keeping an eye out for it.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i'm a big fan of Ichabod from New Holand and Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head. More into Oktoberfest/Marzens this time of year. What this time of year really means to me is that it's almost STOUT season
  • webdevsoup
    webdevsoup Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Had me an Ichabod paired with a Ribeye, Corn on the Cob, green beans, and mashed red skins, all of which I got at a roadside stand (veg, not meat). Oh man.... IT WAS AWESOME!!! So excited for fall!! And I just tapped my Dry Irish Stout Keg, made with coffee. YUM!!!
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    *making note to ask for Ichabod next time I trade beers for New Hollands*
  • webdevsoup
    Options

EXCELLENT choice.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Should be trying a local spot's entry into the pumpkin arena this Friday. a smoked barrel aged pumpkin beer. They're also doing a sour pumpkin and traditional pumpkin ale.

I'll report back. So far, I've really liked the weyerbacher imp. pumpkin, but really wanna get my hands on that southern tier too.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I was just talking Pumpkin beers with some beer geek buddies at work and they kept raving about O'Fallon's Pumpkin Ale. It doesn't rate very high on BA, but I had to promise them I would try it.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3268/13350
  • verymissk
    Options
    I have loved the way pumpkin works with sours.... Please report back on the sour you're going to have, trog!
  • webdevsoup
    Options
    O'Fallon's, for a no-name beer, is actually not too bad. I wouldn't "rave" about it. But I'd drink it again. And for the price you can normally find it at, it's not bad for what you pay.
  • verymissk
    Options
    O'Fallon's, for a no-name beer, is actually not too bad. I wouldn't "rave" about it. But I'd drink it again. And for the price you can normally find it at, it's not bad for what you pay.

What do you mean "no-name" beer?
  • webdevsoup
    Options
    Just that O'Fallons isn't really well known for much. Not like some of the bigger name beers. I don't look at O'Fallons as something I'd seek out at the local brew shop.

Perhaps "no-name" wasn't the appropriate term. Perhaps "For a lesser-known brewery in Michigan..."
  • deadwax
    Options
    I have had Southern Tier's Pumking before, and while highly rated I didn't really enjoy it. I agree that it hit many of the notes of pumpkin pie, but at the same time did so in an incredibly cloying manner. I would almost classify it as a dessert beer, which actually makes sense given it's pumpkin pie notes, just too sweetly done for me. Ultimately, we just didn't get along, which might be odd considering I love their Creme Brule, and am a huge fan of most of their beers in general.

So, in bottles or cans, what can someone recommend me in the North East, that does what Pumking does, but is potentially more palatable to my tastebuds?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I have had Southern Tier's Pumking before, and while highly rated I didn't really enjoy it. I agree that it hit many of the notes of pumpkin pie, but at the same time did so in an incredibly cloying manner. I would almost classify it as a dessert beer, which actually makes sense given it's pumpkin pie notes, just too sweetly done for me. Ultimately, we just didn't get along, which might be odd considering I love their Creme Brule, and am a huge fan of most of their beers in general.

So, in bottles or cans, what can someone recommend me in the North East, that does what Pumking does, but is potentially more palatable to my tastebuds?

CBC out of MA does "The Great Pumpkin". Much milder, only like 4-5%. One of the best. Don't forget Dogfish Head Punkin' out of DE.
  • deadwax
    Options

CBC out of MA does "The Great Pumpkin". Much milder, only like 4-5%. One of the best. Don't forget Dogfish Head Punkin' out of DE.

Thanks, I will keep my eye out for those. What I meant by "in the North East" was in regards to availability and not so much just geographical brewing area. I know for example Cigar City is not available around here. Cheers :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    so I went out and bought 2 on the weekend, they were spicy I found.
  • vickish76
    vickish76 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love love love love love Cottonwood / Foothills Pumpkin - I buy it by the case when it comes out and covet it. Cannot wait for it to come back.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    For those that like the Southern Tier Pumpking, try rimming the glass in cinnamon/sugar. Amazing.

I also highly recommend it with pumpkin donuts.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Just tried the Harpoon Imperial Pumpkin and DFH Punkin last night. DFH was a little too spicy for my taste... just not too well balanced.

The Harpoon though. Holy crap. 1/2 Imp Stout, 1/2 pumpkin beer. It was pretty fantastic.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Babycakes, I don't know who your contact is, but I got a whole 6-pack in my basement RIGHT. NOW.

Griffin Claw Brewing (a new brewery in Michigan that has the most insane business plan I've ever seen--they opened in May, and are already distributing at the major arenas around here) has a great Pumpkin. Southern Tier Pumking is obviously amazing. Liberty Street (a smaller brewery who only distributes in MI) has the best Pumpkin beer I've ever had though... and it's ONLY with pumpkin spice.

It's a sickness how much pumpkin beer I drink September-November.