Super Strong Squatters - September check in and chat

Options

Replies

• inkysmurf
    Options
    God darn I love this thread.

Foam rollers are amazing - but going to try a tennis ball tonight (luckily having jack russells that like to find things and bring them home - I have currently have 8 available!!) .

I lift barefoot - but lucky because I lift at home so no worries about skanky gyms - from what I've read a pair of plimsolls would actually be ok - thin soled and flat - eliminating lift in any way from your foot.

So today - just had a total MEH of a session - think as my weight on the bars is going up - i am just losing confidence in myself and my abilities.

squats 1x2@ 85kg/187.3lbs - was not getting parallel on these so took these down to 80kg so did
    squats 3x8@80kg/ 176lbs which felt a lot better.
    Bench 4x5@32.5kg/71.6lbs 1x3@32.5kg/71.6lbs - then I failed and got trapped and had to escape the bar - EPIC FAIL!
    Row 5x5@32.5kg/71.6lbs
    40 sit ups, 16 full push ups(yeah!!!) 40 reverse crunch, 3x6 inverted body weight rows, 170 air squats, 7 feet to floor chin ups, 4 no feet chin ups

Then going to do evil 8 after lunch (this - I LOVE!).

Not sure if I need to tweak what I am doing or drop to 3x5 on the bench to keep progressing - I left 3 mins rest between my last 2 sets .

ho hum... one of those sessions.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Had to wait ten mins for a rack so practiced the bottom of the squat knee stretch, then distracted for the entire session by the kinesthesiologist wazzock in the rack next to me. Trying to remember knees out, spread the floor, look down, chest up... Kept at 35kg.
    OHP was supposed to be 32.5kg, managed 3 whole reps there and dropped back to 30. Final set interrupted (and I then dumped the bar back on the pins with a big irritable clang before trying again) by some wally choosing that moment to retrieve the 60kg loaded bar he thought would be a good idea to keep between the racks while he went off and jumped up on a step for a while. After my OHPs I put the bar on the safeties while I went to get some mats for my Deadlift. This brainiac had already taken over the cage when I got back for another bizarre exercise (holding bar overhead while on his back while raising and lowering his legs in diaganols. Couldn't even wait for me to throw a couple of 20kgs. Before I deadlifted. Sigh. Anyway built up to 75kg think form was ok, then mixed up 3 sets each of supported pullups, kettlebell swings and hyperextensions. Then I had a good stretch! Could have fitted the HIIT in but was running short on car park time..
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    I've been (shockingly) following medical advice and resting the back. Haven't lifted since Tuesday, did kettlebells Wednesday. I've been jealously reading your progress (well, not so jealous of idiots at the gym or getting trapped under the odd bench press, but jealous to be under the bar!). Happy to say it's working - had a great 9 mile run this morning, and no achy back! Also, finally got a new mattress, which was contributing to the issue. Looking forward to lifting tomorrow or Tuesday!
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Becca hope your back continues to improve, your matress can make a massive difference!

So work out A for me today.

And it sucked, I was a little later than usual at the gym and had to wait for a rack making me even later. I squatted at 30kg which is less than last time but even doing my warm up with the bar I felt so weak and wobbly to be honest if I had tried even the extra 2.5kg that I did last time I would not have completed. That said though I think some of this is coming from working my form and therefore making my body work harder (What I am telling myself)

Bench press was a little teeny tiny ray of light. I did 5x5 at 22.5kg - nothing I know but this is the first time I have ever ever increased my weight at this. I have no spotter and a fear of looking like a fool in front of all the meatheads at the gym so I have never dared increase the weight before. I only just about was up to it but I was rushing and I think maybe next time with mroe time and longer rests I should be ok to go up again.

I ran out of time to hang about waiting for a bar to do my rows, which leads me to my next question. There are various different bars at the gym, I don't think they have a ladies oly bar - they all look and feel the same but they do have a couple which go
    -v-^-v- sort of - basically shorter and wiggly. Is this likely to be a different weight? There are not generally a ton of staff around when I go and I just really want to get on and do not waste time looking for someone to ask.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    love your diagram! that's an e-z bar, typically used for bro curls. I suspect it would weigh less, but no idea how you'd do rows with it?!

the normal oly bar weighs 20kg, the ladies is shorter and weighs 15kg.

do they have any weighted preloaded bars?

well done for going and upping your weight! if stuck for time you can always drop to 3x5 rather than 5x5 you might have squeezed in something else that way :)
  • roxylola
    Options
    Thank you. I thought it might help as it is sort of higher to start with. I have had my eye on it for ages lol.

The weighted preloaded bars go up to 20kg and my next row should have been 30kg so I binned off using those.

Also, does anybody know (I promise I won't be using one) how the weights work on the smith machine? Because I am more than a little competitive but the other people in there were using a smiths with 2x20kg plates on to squat with. Now I know the smiths sort of makes the weight easier but wrecks form, but I wondered if the smith bar worked like the oly bar and weighed 20kg on its own. If so then I shall stop trying to compete, if not then I am not so far behind ;)
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I ran out of time to hang about waiting for a bar to do my rows, which leads me to my next question. There are various different bars at the gym, I don't think they have a ladies oly bar - they all look and feel the same but they do have a couple which go
    -v-^-v- sort of - basically shorter and wiggly. Is this likely to be a different weight? There are not generally a ton of staff around when I go and I just really want to get on and do not waste time looking for someone to ask.

The "squiggly" bar seems to be an EZ curl bar, and there are different styles. I own an Olympic Super Curl bar which weights about 15 pounds (or about 7 kg).

This is the bar I have:
    olympic-economy-ez-super-curl-bar-GSOZ-47-1.png

(edited for larger picture)
  • roxylola
    Options
    Hmm well I guess in a pinch I could weight it and use it in future. Thanks :D
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    30kg is the olympic bar plus 5ks on each end, propped up on a pile of weights to the right height. Easy :)
  • roxylola
    Options
    Yeah, but there were no oly bars this morning, and plates all over the place. :s This is what happens when you change the bed first thing and leave the house 5 minutes later than usual, and then have to go back because you forgot your handbag and finally get to the gym 20 minutes late!
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    First full workout in my new home lifting space was awesome.

No need to go anywhere. Can lift barefoot without anyone giving me strange looks.

No waiting or rushing because 'bros' need the rack.

Took my 11 and 12 year old sons through the basic workout over the weekend. They are excited and I can be there to help them out and ensure there are no injuries.

Feeling good. Almost glad the new owners of my (former) gym are *kitten*. Almost.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    still jealous...

anyway, saw the doc who didn't have huge amount of clue but agreed with my self diagnosis without getting snippy about it lol. she gave me a prescription for a fortnight's worth of ibuprofen, and carry on with all the other things I'm doing, go back if not sorted in a month. Where's my miracle cure lol?! :)
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    still jealous...

anyway, saw the doc who didn't have huge amount of clue but agreed with my self diagnosis without getting snippy about it lol. she gave me a prescription for a fortnight's worth of ibuprofen, and carry on with all the other things I'm doing, go back if not sorted in a month. Where's my miracle cure lol?! :)

Good to hear you found a doctor who gave you what you need. Hopefully, it will work and you'll be back to it soon!
  • roxylola
    Options
    Be careful you don't overdo it and make it worse while you have painkillers. Pain is your body's way of stopping further damage. As for miracle cure, I have this snake oil enriched with the toenail shavings of a rare white tiger.... :p
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    nice roxy! it's not for the pain (only hurts when I walk) but for the anti-inflammatory properties of the ibuprofen.. I've only got one more gym sesh (tomorrow) before other plans get in the way until Monday at the earliest, so some enforced rest!
  • roxylola
    Options
    Well a girl has got to try. Ok inflammation makes sense, is it swollen?
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    glwerth- that sounds soooo awesome!

Lwoodroff- speedy healing to you!

Boy, I take a week off and you all rip it up! Dani has threatened me with bodily harm if I leave the forum, so you'll have to put up with hearing about my Wendler 5/3/1 adventures. :smile:

Today was the first day:
    OHP
    1x5@55
    1x5@65
    1x8@70

Then 5x15 chins and dips with 60 pounds of my bodyweight.

I got the main lift done in less than 15 minutes - then spent the next 30 grinding through the assistance work, LOL. It took me a while to find a good amount to take off using the assisted chin/dip machine. Let's just say I'm glad I don't do arms again until Wednesday.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Well done!

And that's right Ms. Kira, you had better stick around. I'm too old and tired to follow people around on other parts of the forum and/or interwebs. :laugh:

I can highly recommend bromelain for keeping down inflammation. It's a pineapple enzyme that does fabulous anti-inflammatory work without taxing your liver. I take it pretty regularly nowadays. The only side effect it has is make your poo a little softer (sorry for that bit of TMI :laugh: )

All went well today, 20 minutes elliptical and 3x8 squats @52.5, 3x8 benches @52.5 and 3x8 OHP @45.

OHPs are haaaard at 3x8 even with "just" the bar. I think I got me some shoulder impingement (acquired somewhere in this past decade pre-lifting), or super tightness someplace back there, so now I gotta figure out how to rehab myself without surgery because that's not happening.
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    Ex-lurker: Hi ladies, I want to share my journey so far and ask for insight in my progress.
    I started lifting in July, at first 3 times a week alternating A/B and after 4 weeks just twice a week (squat/bench and deadlift/oph) because it was getting too hard and I had back pain (I have no idea why, my form felt good and I had people check on me say my back was not rounded). After this second month, I'm doing 2 weeks rest because my back really hurts but I want to go back to lifting next week. What do I do to prevent a back injurie? Am I moving too fast, should I just have my deadlifts recorded to really check form, do some specific type of strech or....?

My stats: 166 cm (I was 165 before lifting) 64kg
    >66kg My last 5x5
    Squat 41 kg
    Deadlift 52 kg
    OPH 28.5kg
    Bench 30kg
    Push ups (full) 5
    Chin ups 3

Prior to lifting I've been doing beachbody products, Insanity, P90x three rounds ect. During these two months I have done no cardio except treadmill walking for like 15min and I stopped even that during the second month. My diet during the time was crazy, whole foods and organic but around 3000kal per day so I did gain muscle and fat.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    hello! welcome s.angel! form videos are always helpful, even if you only watch them back yourself.. where is the back pain? what brings it on? have you had a proper medic type person have a look (as we are random people living in your computer..)? did you expect the Spanish Inquisition? :)

and yes Kira, it's like the Hotel California, you can check out, but you can never leave ... [insert evil mwuhahaha cackle here] :) awesome OHPs and I'm not surprised your arms are wibbly wobbly!

and finally, lookie look what is hopefully going to arrive before I go and check out the ghetto gym (lol calling anywhere in Aylesbury 'ghetto' is quite funny, although we did breed one of the 7/7 bombers I think..) on Monday (something else I haven't told the huz!) http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MISeks6kL.jpg this definitely calls for a *squee*!