Do childless peeps understand peeps with children?

Options

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. I always thought it would be nice to date a guy with kids because I don't particularly want my own, and usually guys look at me funny when I say that :frown:

Is it weird to not want children?

Well Kate, for the first time in my 49 years I've been made to feel weird about it...........the reason I posted this topic is because I was recently rejected by a father for basically, not being a mother! He doesnt think I will understand him??

I'm offended and saddened by the whole assumption that a childless person is any less empathetic, caring, switched on to or concerned about a child's protection, needs and welfare than a parent would be. I know that I would die for my friend's children such is the natural 'motherly' instinct I feel when they're round me.

I've honestly never given a second thought to prospective partner being a parent. I dont see what difference it makes. You either dove tail into each other's lives, or you don't. This, is as much to do with the character of the two people as it is to do with their lifestyle, circumstances and your overall compatibility.

I know we are all different. But it's been reassuring to read that most of you parents are happy with your childless partners :flowerforyou:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    My last relationship ended because I had kids and he didn't. He wanted to treat my kids as though they were his, and for the most part, I agreed with this. I even allowed him to discipline. This was a mistake on my part because he took "discipline" too far. When I confronted him about his discipline methods, he informed me that the kids were badly behaved because of me and I needed to let him take control of the discipline. Instant deal-breaker!

Now, I've been apprehensive about a new relationship because of how it might affect my kids. At this point, I would prefer someone that has kids and that I know can empathize. But that doesn't mean that a childless man doesn't stand a chance with me. It just means that he will have to recognize and respect my boundaries, particularly where the kids are concerned, and accept that I reserve the right to re-draw those boundaries at any time.

I believe the right guy would understand this, whether he has children of his own or not.

I wasnt even getting into the practicalities of parenting, but yeah, this would be a problem. But the point here is just that he has a different parenting style, even though he has no children of his own. From that POV he isnt compatible with you, but this happens in traditional marriages where the children are biological to both parents, right?

I was more talking about if a childless person understands a parent, from a romantic perspective, if you know what I mean? Did you feel he could relate to you as a parent, understood when you couldnt make a date? Gave you time to be with your kids? Etc? I guess I'm talking about the initial stages before he even gets the honour to meet your children :flowerforyou:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    If I had a choice I would prefer to meet a man without kids but it always works out I meet men with them which is fine. My big worry though is getting attached to the kids like I did when I was with my ex. We had planned on being a family one day so his 2 kids and my son ... we all did stuff together as a family so when the relationship fell apart, 5 people suffered for it. After that I said no more guys with kids ... but a man with kids does understand a lot more that the kids come first no matter what. The guy I am hanging out with right now has a son, and I'm perfectly fine with it. I think a lot has to do with connections too because if you have a really strong connection with someone, you are going to accept every part of that person!

Good point Raige. Getting attached is a worry for both adults. It's why the parent would wait until the relationship is serious before introductions. I'm pretty sure that marraiges dread the failure of their relationships too, for that very reason. But hey, life goes on and I dont think it's necessary to discount a parent for this reason alone.

I guess I just try and avoid living life on what MIGHT happen, rather, just go with what feels right in the moment. ??

And yes, I agree, the connection was what mattered to me more than anything. But obviously not to him...... :ohwell:
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    oops, in my post I said "be wary of guys who don't want kids."

I didn't mean ALL men who don't want kids...in fact, I **SEEK** men who don't want kids because I enjoy my freedom and don't want to be saddled down with diapers and nursing.

I meant men who didn't want whatever kids you have. So, in my example, the guy I was liking had a college age daughter, but my son was much younger. So if a man told me he didn't want younger kids, I would be wary of the relationship, even though I wouldn't necessarily write him off.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My last relationship ended because I had kids and he didn't. He wanted to treat my kids as though they were his, and for the most part, I agreed with this. I even allowed him to discipline. This was a mistake on my part because he took "discipline" too far. When I confronted him about his discipline methods, he informed me that the kids were badly behaved because of me and I needed to let him take control of the discipline. Instant deal-breaker!

Now, I've been apprehensive about a new relationship because of how it might affect my kids. At this point, I would prefer someone that has kids and that I know can empathize. But that doesn't mean that a childless man doesn't stand a chance with me. It just means that he will have to recognize and respect my boundaries, particularly where the kids are concerned, and accept that I reserve the right to re-draw those boundaries at any time.

I believe the right guy would understand this, whether he has children of his own or not.

I wasnt even getting into the practicalities of parenting, but yeah, this would be a problem. But the point here is just that he has a different parenting style, even though he has no children of his own. From that POV he isnt compatible with you, but this happens in traditional marriages where the children are biological to both parents, right?

I was more talking about if a childless person understands a parent, from a romantic perspective, if you know what I mean? Did you feel he could relate to you as a parent, understood when you couldnt make a date? Gave you time to be with your kids? Etc? I guess I'm talking about the initial stages before he even gets the honour to meet your children :flowerforyou:

Well honestly, he was very supportive in the beginning. I actually was fighting for custody when I met him and did not yet have it. He helped me in that fight, and to this day, I'm not sure I would have won without him. That was why, in part, I was okay with allowing him such a major role in their life. He had always wanted children, but had never taken the time in life to have them. It seemed like a perfect fit. Until it didn't.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

Well honestly, he was very supportive in the beginning. I actually was fighting for custody when I met him and did not yet have it. He helped me in that fight, and to this day, I'm not sure I would have won without him. That was why, in part, I was okay with allowing him such a major role in their life. He had always wanted children, but had never taken the time in life to have them. It seemed like a perfect fit. Until it didn't.

Thanks Husky. That's what I think. I think if a childless person is willing to make the effort with single parent (and vice versa - you bounce off each other afterall) then it can work. The rest is just like any other relationship in terms of compatibility. I'm sorry it didnt work out long term :flowerforyou:
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    oops, in my post I said "be wary of guys who don't want kids."

I didn't mean ALL men who don't want kids...in fact, I **SEEK** men who don't want kids because I enjoy my freedom and don't want to be saddled down with diapers and nursing.

I meant men who didn't want whatever kids you have. So, in my example, the guy I was liking had a college age daughter, but my son was much younger. So if a man told me he didn't want younger kids, I would be wary of the relationship, even though I wouldn't necessarily write him off.

Good correction lol, I also don't want more kids so I am seeking a man who doesn't as well :) and oops, I found him :)
  • kimad
    Options
    I even allowed him to discipline. This was a mistake on my part because he took "discipline" too far. When I confronted him about his discipline methods, he informed me that the kids were badly behaved because of me and I needed to let him take control of the discipline. Instant deal-breaker!

I don't think allowing him to discipline was a mistake on your part, unfortunately he was just polar opposite of your discipline style.

It's tough, because they are a role model for your child and at some point have to take a discipline approach too - depending where the relationship is, etc. - but I think you need to have a discussion up front about it before you allow them too.

My first relationship as a single mom the guy had kids and it was quickly evident we had the same parenting style, so worked well. My current boyfriend doesn't have kids of his own, but we tend to have our heads on the same direction. he has never disciplined my kids persay, majorly, but will correct them when they are obviously doing something wrong.

I think a BIG discussion needs to take place so you both can be comfortable with the others discipline so it doesn't cause any issues. What your styles are, what is ok for you/him, etc.
  • OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. I always thought it would be nice to date a guy with kids because I don't particularly want my own, and usually guys look at me funny when I say that :frown:

Well Kate, for the first time in my 49 years I've been made to feel weird about it...........the reason I posted this topic is because I was recently rejected by a father for basically, not being a mother! He doesnt think I will understand him??

I'm offended and saddened by the whole assumption that a childless person is any less empathetic, caring, switched on to or concerned about a child's protection, needs and welfare than a parent would be. I know that I would die for my friend's children such is the natural 'motherly' instinct I feel when they're round me.

I've honestly never given a second thought to prospective partner being a parent. I dont see what difference it makes. You either dove tail into each other's lives, or you don't. This, is as much to do with the character of the two people as it is to do with their lifestyle, circumstances and your overall compatibility.

I know we are all different. But it's been reassuring to read that most of you parents are happy with your childless partners :flowerforyou:

Wow. I'm so sorry, Anna. It drives me up a wall when people say that people without children are more selfish, less empathetic, etc. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not in any financial situation or point in life where I have the time to focus on children, and since I am an opera singer, not sure that I will ever get to that point. Wouldn't it be more selfish to say, eh whatever, I'll have children right now whether I can take care of them or not? Kids are wonderful, but not everyone's life is structured to include them. I don't really understand why this is an issue??
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Anna about your point of introducing kids to a date.

A girl I was best friends with in elementary school is a serial dater. Probably since we've been FB friends (two ish years) she has had about four boyfriends. Her latest boyfriend has a five year old child. They've been FB official for about a month now. I now, on a regular basis, see her post statues about hanging out with his daughter...like "Dakota's fifth birthday party!" "Doing my nails with Dakota!" It's a little weird to me...I feel like the couple hardly knows each other. And if this guy dates around his daughter has probably met several women and doesn't understand in her young mind why they come and go.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    Anna about your point of introducing kids to a date.

A girl I was best friends with in elementary school is a serial dater. Probably since we've been FB friends (two ish years) she has had about four boyfriends. Her latest boyfriend has a five year old child. They've been FB official for about a month now. I now, on a regular basis, see her post statues about hanging out with his daughter...like "Dakota's fifth birthday party!" "Doing my nails with Dakota!" It's a little weird to me...I feel like the couple hardly knows each other. And if this guy dates around his daughter has probably met several women and doesn't understand in her young mind why they come and go.

I think parents parent differently. Over the years I've seen so many different approaches to children that I really couldnt tell you which one is 'right' or 'wrong'. Will a short term relationship have a long term effect on the child's grounding? I leave that up to the parent to decide.

You never know, your FB friend might be happy with her new step mum status and that might encourage her to give this relationship a lasting approach. Who knows? :flowerforyou:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

Wow. I'm so sorry, Anna. It drives me up a wall when people say that people without children are more selfish, less empathetic, etc. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not in any financial situation or point in life where I have the time to focus on children, and since I am an opera singer, not sure that I will ever get to that point. Wouldn't it be more selfish to say, eh whatever, I'll have children right now whether I can take care of them or not? Kids are wonderful, but not everyone's life is structured to include them. I don't really understand why this is an issue??

Thanks Kate. Drives me mad too!!

It's not an issue hun, I think you're sensible and focused on your career, just like I was at your age. I have no regrets, so you won't either. It's the first time I've ever come across prejudice like this. And I'm pretty sure it's based on other insecurities!! People love to 'project' dont they? :wink:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I even allowed him to discipline. This was a mistake on my part because he took "discipline" too far. When I confronted him about his discipline methods, he informed me that the kids were badly behaved because of me and I needed to let him take control of the discipline. Instant deal-breaker!

I don't think allowing him to discipline was a mistake on your part, unfortunately he was just polar opposite of your discipline style.

It's tough, because they are a role model for your child and at some point have to take a discipline approach too - depending where the relationship is, etc. - but I think you need to have a discussion up front about it before you allow them too.

My first relationship as a single mom the guy had kids and it was quickly evident we had the same parenting style, so worked well. My current boyfriend doesn't have kids of his own, but we tend to have our heads on the same direction. he has never disciplined my kids persay, majorly, but will correct them when they are obviously doing something wrong.

I think a BIG discussion needs to take place so you both can be comfortable with the others discipline so it doesn't cause any issues. What your styles are, what is ok for you/him, etc.

Well the problem wasn't that we didn't have the same discipline style. It was that he would not make adjustments. I'm pretty flexible. I do believe in corporal punishment, but I also believe that if something isn't working, then course correction is necessary. It turns out that my youngest child is Asperger's. We didn't know that at the time. Asperger's children do not process information the way normal children might so the corporal punishment wasn't working with her. I wanted to get away from corporal punishment and try some other techniques, mainly because his spankings were causing some severe bruising. In my mind, if corporal punishment isn't working as an effective form of discipline, then you are just beating your kids. Honestly, we didn't work out because he was far too controlling and inflexible. The issue with disciplining the kids was just the straw that broke the camel's back.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of relationships where one person has kids and the other one doesn't. Of my friends I can think of 3 instances where a woman has full custody of 1-2 kids and is dating/engaged to a guy that doesn't have kids and one instance of a guy having 50/50 custody of his son and in a relationship with someone without kids.

I would not want to date someone that has kids as it is hard enough for me to break from being single to including one person in my life much less two people. Plus I am just not a kid person.

So it really just depends on each individual.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It's been working out pretty well for me so far. But it helps that her ex gets the kids Tuesdays and every other weekend, so we still get quality alone time. I don't mind at all that the kids will always come first, I wouldn't expect it any other way. In fact it actually takes some of the pressure off. Past girlfriends have obsessed about getting married and having kids, but with the current girlfriend things are going a little more my speed. Neither of us really want to have more kids and we are both on the same page about when we think we should take the next step.

I've found when you really like someone things just seem to work. Yes eventually I will have to make a very big life adjustment, but I barely even worry about it anymore, I'm actually a little excited for it.
  • Tube_socks
    Tube_socks Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Roadie, I'm happy for you!!
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    Roadie - I'm the same as you, I think it can work like a dream when the dynamics are right.

Thanks for your input everyone. I'm thinking the guy that rejected me is a fool :bigsmile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

i find that when i point out to people that they're just bitter that i can do whatever i want with my money, can travel when i want, can use my sick days for myself, can sleep in when i want and they are just interested in having someone to commiserate with about how hamstrung they are , they tend to not broach the subject again about how i need to enrich my life with kids :laugh:
  • kimad
    Options
    It's been working out pretty well for me so far. But it helps that her ex gets the kids Tuesdays and every other weekend, so we still get quality alone time. I don't mind at all that the kids will always come first, I wouldn't expect it any other way. In fact it actually takes some of the pressure off. Past girlfriends have obsessed about getting married and having kids, but with the current girlfriend things are going a little more my speed. Neither of us really want to have more kids and we are both on the same page about when we think we should take the next step.

I've found when you really like someone things just seem to work. Yes eventually I will have to make a very big life adjustment, but I barely even worry about it anymore, I'm actually a little excited for it.

awe, that's great.

And you are right, it does take some pressure off!
  • OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    i find that when i point out to people that they're just bitter that i can do whatever i want with my money, can travel when i want, can use my sick days for myself, can sleep in when i want and they are just interested in having someone to commiserate with about how hamstrung they are , they tend to not broach the subject again about how i need to enrich my life with kids :laugh:

Haha SO TRUE!!!