Not food related, but what are your thoughts on Vibrams??

Options

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I actually do wear socks with my running ones (injinji brand) but not with my lifting ones. Helps with the stink :laugh:

I was wondering about that! I know they sell toe socks, but I was wondering if you could find ankle toe socks! lol Guess if I decide to go through with it I will get me some toe socks. I've never like the feeling of wearing sneakers without socks.

Check out Injinji. They've got a few different varieties.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I love just being barefoot. I would probably love vibrams as long as they didn't irritate my toes. However, I have determined that they are probably pretty useless here in the Arctic so I haven't invested in a pair yet. I do wear minimalistic type footwear though. For instance, rubber boots, shoes with barely any sole and I wear Inuit type footwear which have animal skin soles-they are the best.

They have a winter model now, call the Lontra. Might be worth looking into. http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Lontra-Mens.htm (they have in women's too, I'm just too lazy to track down the link).

Separating toes in the winter is a good way to lose your toes. Also, it's the terrain too. From talking to other people, all the gravel and rocks here would destroy them pretty fast... even if my feet could get tough enough to stand all the rocks.

No would not even come close to being any good here, not even for spring or fall. LOL I'm laughing really hard looking at them and imagining wearing them to work, wading through snow drifts with temps of -40 C, windchills -60 C. :laugh:

Fair enough. I found a couple conflicting reviews. One saying they worked well in -30C weather during an Iditarod, the other saying they didn't do so well on a mountain climb in -5C ice and snow. /shrug

Might still work in the summer, depending on where, exactly, you're at. And might be worth keeping an eye on. The Lontra is their first cold weather shoe, I've little doubt they'll improve on it from the feedback and have new models coming out that might eventually work for you.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I totally "get" the idea and concept - but just am too worried about how stupid I would look in public. So.. I do try to be barefoot as much as possible around the house and during the summer. Plus when I workout I use New Balance Minimus Zeros - which have the sole made by (or licensed from) vibram. They don't have individual toe pockets - but are a very minimalist sole. I run in the them, lift in them, crossfit and kickbox in them. Take a little getting used to because of the lack of "protection" and "support" but I really have grown to like them.

Thats the one I was talking about!

No foot pain for you after wearing them often?

Nope. I occasionally get some arch twinges - from the lack of support and probably constant pounding I do during box jumps - but find that if I stretch out more before and after I am good. I "believe" it has actually made my foot and ankle connective tissues stronger and more responsible for their own well being - but don't have any metric to prove that.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I :heart: my VFF's sooo much! I live in a warm climate and vastly prefer being barefoot. They were an easy transition for me. I'm still barefoot at home all the time, but I wear my VFF's whenever I have to go anywhere else (work, shopping, etc.). I used to CrossFit in them most of the time, but don't love them for jumping rope, and my doctor was pretty insistent that I wear "real" shoes to run in due to an inflamed meniscus. I have a pair of NB Minimus that I've been wearing lately and I like them ok.

FYI, I have quite a wide foot and was worried initially about the fit, but I've had zero issues with the 2 pair I've owned. They do have a different method for sizing than we're used to in the US, but if you measure your foot accurately and use their charts you shouldn't have any issues.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    OP: I had a pair of VFFs, and while I liked them, I too find it annoying to try to fit all my toes in all the holes. Plus, my feet were almost always wet when it rained (and therefore cold), and after wearing them once or twice they'd stink and I'd already need to wash them!

My solution? I instead got minimalist shoes with a thin sole that is flexible, and has no or very little heel lift. So I still get most of the same benefits, aside from the ability to articulate each toe individually. I can still at least spread my toes out, too, as they're not crammed in some small toe box. I got plain, all black Merrells (they too have the Vibram brand sole) and got away with them at work (business casual) since they're fairly neutral.

Now when I try to wear traditional running/athletic shoes, I get cramps in my feet and plantar fasciitis comes back. So I wear minimalist shoes all the time. I also invested in a pair of Vivobarefoot brand trail running shoes - they have treads on the bottom for trail running, which puts me higher off the ground than the Merrells so I don't have wet feet as often when it rains. But still a more neutral heel-toe lift than traditional shoes.
    I've been considering some minimalist shoes for my leg days (squats). I think my running shoes are robbing my lifts.

I have wide feet. Are they cut more like Nike's or New Balance shoes? Do they come in wider cuts?

I'd say try it, at least! I challenged my gf to wear her Merrell minimalist shoes to squat, instead of her super-cushioned (read: thick heeled shoes with lots of heel lift) running shoes as she was having knee pain squatting. Not only is her knee pain gone, she added 20lb to the bar since it wasn't painful anymore. She didn't believe her shoes could make that much of a difference. I say, what harm in trying it?

Try some different brands of shoes, if you can't find one that works at first. I tried the New Balance (don't remember style/model, as it was nearly a year ago) and they were WAY too narrow in the forefoot for me (ironic, since minimalist/barefoot shoes are supposed to be looser and allow more room in the toe box!). I sent them back, and went with Vivobarefoot instead. Shame, as I really wanted the NB's since they were leather!

Foot pain - after getting used to them, I'm fine. But don't wear them all the time to begin with - get used to them gradually over weeks by increasing the amount of time you spend wearing them (or distance/time running in them). The best analogy I ever read (don't remember source) is that it's like going from wearing a cast (which basically is what a traditional shoe is) to taking it off - you need to give your muscles, joints, tendons, ligaments all time to get used to being used again and strengthen them, as you're not used to using them after so long.

Looks like it was Mark Sisson that made that particular reference:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-prepare-for-barefooting/#axzz2f4BEVSmj
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    OP: I had a pair of VFFs, and while I liked them, I too find it annoying to try to fit all my toes in all the holes. Plus, my feet were almost always wet when it rained (and therefore cold), and after wearing them once or twice they'd stink and I'd already need to wash them!

That depends entirely on the model you get, as well as the feel you're going for. There are a number of models that are designed for use in water (and while they won't keep your feet dry, they will keep them warmer). They also have models that are designed for cold/wet weather (namely, the Lontra).

As for stinky shoes, toe socks can help with that, or just toss them in the washer with the rest of your laundry. If they're really bad, just soak them in Oxy Clean and warm water for a few hours before tossing them in the washer.
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Here's another question for those who currently have Vibrams:

Was it "love at first fit" or did you buy them because they were "supposed to be good for you"? I'm not into the fad purchasing thing, but it seems like those who have genuinely enjoy the feeling and the wear of their shoes.

I have owned many a pair of shoes but there are very few that I have had which, when I tried them on I knew immediately that they would be amazingly comfy and perfect for me. Were your Vibrams like this for you, or did they take a lot of getting used to?
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I loved them immediately. Then again, I was a barefoot girl already, and wore shoes as rarely as possible, so I didn't have a big adjustment period at all. Like, I put them on and wore them for full workdays immediately.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I loved them immediately. Then again, I was a barefoot girl already, and wore shoes as rarely as possible, so I didn't have a big adjustment period at all. Like, I put them on and wore them for full workdays immediately.

^

By the time I got a pair, I had already been revolting against the whole "wear shoes all the time" thing. Working at home helped, too.

YMMV, though, especially if you wear a lot of typical women's shoes, with narrow toe boxes. My husband loved them from the start, too, but still had to adjust, because his feet were used to shoes with slightly-too-narrow toe boxes. VFFs will basically (gently) force your toes to spread a little until they naturally aren't scrunched anymore.
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Well naturally I also go barefoot most of the time too, and enjoy every moment. I try my hardest to avoid shoes with narrow toe boxes as my feet are naturally wide and I was also cursed with my grandmother's bunions. *joy*

I also do not wear heels at work and have converted to flat shoes. My mother in law was trying to tell me the other day that flat shoes are bad for your feet and I should be wearing a small heel for support. I was trying to get her to understand that we were not born with raised heels and how could something like that be better for our feet that just walking around naturally. She really had no answer and kept dodging around the point, but I think she knew I was right in the end.

Her outlook on it was that people who wear flats all days always complain for their feet hurting them etc. She might be right, but if you interview these ladies you would find that 99.9% of them wear heels everywhere else they go, and wear flats only to do their waitressing job etc. Hence the stretch in their hamstrings and other muscles would cause pain. Men wear relatively flat shoes all day, every day and their feet are just fine!

ANYHOW, I am convinced that at least I will try them on. I know for sure that when I try them on I will know right away whether or not they will be for me. If not, well....I tried. If they are, awesome!!
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I thought hard about getting a pair but in the end decided I didn't really like the feeling of VFF's between my toes. At the time I had bad plantar fasciitis in both feet and was standing 9 hours a day at work. My feet were killing me and I could barely walk. I ended up with a pair of NB Minimus and a pair of Merrells. After a couple of months I tried on my old shoes and the pain came back - I've now thrown out all my 'supportive' shoes. Pain that had crippled me for nearly a year was gone within a week of wearing the NB's. I notice people saying they don't fit wide feet - mine are wide and I still have plenty of room. VFF's just don't seem like a practical option for me - the NB's and Merrells are black so are pretty versatile for everyday wear. There are plenty of other shoes out there that fit the barefoot/flat criteria - usually they are some of the cheapest on the market unless you are buying big name brands that are jumping on the barefoot band wagon to make money. I also wear a pair of thin soled chucks - basically look for a shoe that has no support or padding and a flat sole that is thin and flexible.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If you want a pair of "regular" looking shoes that feel EXACTLY like wearing VFFs, check out Merrell Vapor Gloves. I wear them for my regular kicks--super comfy and totally stylin'!
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    Wondering if anyone who has ankle issues has had success with them?I feel I need more stability because of a very bad ankle injury.
    I wear a pair of minimalist casual shoes(vivo barefoot)and ended up with plantar fasciitis from them.It's very rocky where we live.
    Once I added in some heel cushions,the fasciitis went away.
    I had bought a pair of vibrams and thought the quality seemed flimsy for the cost.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Wondering if anyone who has ankle issues has had success with them?I feel I need more stability because of a very bad ankle injury.
    I wear a pair of minimalist casual shoes(vivo barefoot)and ended up with plantar fasciitis from them.It's very rocky where we live.
    I had bought a pair of vibrams and thought the quality seemed flimsy for the cost.

My husband has tons of issues with his ankles, and they all went away, in large part because not having a cast on his foot (aka "more shoe stability") allowed his muscles to strengthen and support his ankles properly.

Plantar fasciitis is sometimes caused due to flat feet, which can often be cured by walking barefoot more (which strengthens the muscles in the feet).

It may be that you need to walk barefoot more to strengthen your feet, before venturing out onto rocky terrain.

Also, being barefoot or in minimalist shoes requires you to pay a little more attention to where you're stepping and to react more quickly to stepping on something potentially dangerous. This is a (re)acquired skill that only comes with going barefoot or in minimalist shoes.

If you're running in them, it's also highly important to make sure you're running correctly, with a mid-foot strike. Anything else is setting yourself up for injury. Also, don't switch to them from typical shoes and expect to be able to run the same distance right away.

What about Vibrams made you feel they were "flimsy"? They're designed to be lightweight and flexible, not stiff and rigid like you're probably used to. So being flexible may feel "flimsy," but as one who wears them every day, in all weather, I can assure you they're not flimsy.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I "get" the barefoot theory and I believe there has to be merit to it. However, I tried to go minimalist (with huaraches) and developed some severe ankle pain as well as mild plantar fasciitis. I did try to work my way up to running in them. I probably didn't give it enough time, but I did try.

I didn't really have any problems before, so I just went back to normal shoes. I do try to take them off around the house as much as possible.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options

My husband has tons of issues with his ankles, and they all went away, in large part because not having a cast on his foot (aka "more shoe stability") allowed his muscles to strengthen and support his ankles properly.

Plantar fasciitis is sometimes caused due to flat feet, which can often be cured by walking barefoot more (which strengthens the muscles in the feet).

It may be that you need to walk barefoot more to strengthen your feet, before venturing out onto rocky terrain.

Also, being barefoot or in minimalist shoes requires you to pay a little more attention to where you're stepping and to react more quickly to stepping on something potentially dangerous. This is a (re)acquired skill that only comes with going barefoot or in minimalist shoes.

If you're running in them, it's also highly important to make sure you're running correctly, with a mid-foot strike. Anything else is setting yourself up for injury. Also, don't switch to them from typical shoes and expect to be able to run the same distance right away.

What about Vibrams made you feel they were "flimsy"? They're designed to be lightweight and flexible, not stiff and rigid like you're probably used to. So being flexible may feel "flimsy," but as one who wears them every day, in all weather, I can assure you they're not flimsy.
    I have been wearing minimalist shoes for the past 1.5 years so I am not only used to stiff and rigid footwear.
    I live in an area in Canada called "the rock"so avoiding rocky areas is not possible..it's literally everywhere.As well as living somewhere that is rural and has little to no sidewalks.
    I ended up with the plantar issue specifically from wearing minimalist shoes,never had any issues before.
    I am always walking around as much as possible without shoes on but for running,I need more support.
    Thanks for the ankle information,maybe I will give them another try at some point.
  • Tophermak
    Tophermak Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I own two pairs, one for everyday wear. . .and a recently bought pair of spydirons for trail running. I would wear these to bed if the wife would let me. I wear them everywhere but work, (safety first) unless I have to appear more then casual and then the shoes come out.

As for being worried about how silly you will feel. You would be surprised. I get asked numerous ?s about the shoes but have never really felt silly. They are a vibrant yellow and orange as well and they do stand out but the comfort outweighs any uncomfortable feeling as I may experience.

Get a pair you will not regret it!!
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    REI is having a sale on some models. So I'm thinking about giving them a try...
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am fascinated to read about the connection between deeper/more stable squats and thinner soles. At home, barefoot, I can do better squats than when I go to the gym. I have wide feet with a very high, flexible arch, and I'm barefoot whenever possible and socially acceptable. I hate my gym shoes (Nikes, bought on sale so I won't feel guilty about tossing them eventually) and with such a high instep there's barely any lacing left when I go to tie them. I avoid the gym because I have to wear these f'ing awful shoes, lol!

Maybe my birthday present to myself will be some Vibrams. :)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I never though of buying a vibram, but I work from home and I am barefoot most of the time.

This topic intrigued me to check out their website though. It also raised a question. Since a vibram shoe has individual toes, how does it work if a toe size doesn't match the vibram's toe size? I have a morton's toe , or Greek foot, where the second toe is significantly longer than my big toe. In my case it like a half inch longer. Most traditional shoes actually have the longest point around the second toe, which is perfect for me, but vibrams have the longest for the big toe.
    In fact some people have generally longer toes , others have shorter toes, but vibrams come only in one toe length for each size, or is it not?