Bump :)
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Improvement on the spreadsheet if you have it.

On Simple Setup tab, added a field for Tested RMR in case you had that done.

It calculates the BMR that would go with that tested RMR, and uses that as basis for the math.

If you have no tested RMR, then you don't need this improved sheet yet.

If you do get it, and want to retain your current Progress tab, look in the new sheet Progress tab at the top as to instructions for moving those stats over.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    hiccup!
  • lynty2
    lynty2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump:)
  • heybales
    Options
    Updated the spreadsheet on 5/5.

Visual change only.

The Simple Setup tab and MFP Tweak tab, where it shows the macro % to change MFP to, now shows what that is in grams.

Had some requests to see if indeed protein was hitting close to that 1g / lb / LBM.

Of course when making the change in MFP, it shows the grams anyway, but this way a tad bit of visual reassurance that the macros aren't totally off-base, because with bigger TDEG's it might seem like it, like not enough protein.
  • dirtyrose2007
    dirtyrose2007 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kellrell
    kellrell Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • andreab213
    andreab213 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later
  • themelmac
    themelmac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the spreadsheet heybales.

Quick question - on the Simple Setup page, when I enter in minutes of a "weight lifting" activity, it actually reduces my TDEG.

I would think that any activity would increase the TDEG. When I take away the weightlifting completely, my TDEG is actually higher than it is when I include any weightlifting.

Curious about that.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have the same question! Thanks for asking it.
  • heybales
    Options
    Weight lifting, as that line is talking about, not circuit training or cardio with strength focus, helps maintain muscle mass. Even in the face of a deficit.

In fact the studies of 800 cal diets have shown no reduction in RMR or LBM when lifting is done.
    Of course when the studies are over and the participants aren't under direct observation and try to finish the weight loss on their own they mess up bad and then the problems start.

And on the TDEE Deficit tab, under the bottom section for deficit being 0.7% of CW, you'll find the study where they actually gained LBM with that much of a deficit.

But since people using the spreadsheet aren't under study direct observation and have other stresses in life, I stop at the BMR as lowest, even with lifting.

So lifting just allows bigger deficit without any concern of losing muscle mass.

It's a safe minimum of course. You'll reach the point faster where you can't make improvements with that much deficit, and you may prefer lifting improvements over weight loss. Your call, just eat more.
  • kmcnulty05
    kmcnulty05 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
  • perky12415
    Options
    I just got a new fitbit one and have been making adjustments to it per Heybales instructions. I had a podbod test and my BMR is 30% and I did the oxygen test and my RMR was 1550. I am 5'4" and 135 pounds. According to the instructions I adjusted my height to 80.82 inches to hopefully get a more appropriate BMR in fitbit.

My question is - does it seem reasonable to have burned 400 calories while sleeping from midnight to 6am? It seems like a lot to me and maybe I should readjust the fitbit parameters.
  • heybales
    Options
    I just got a new fitbit one and have been making adjustments to it per Heybales instructions. I had a podbod test and my BMR is 30% and I did the oxygen test and my RMR was 1550. I am 5'4" and 135 pounds. According to the instructions I adjusted my height to 80.82 inches to hopefully get a more appropriate BMR in fitbit.

My question is - does it seem reasonable to have burned 400 calories while sleeping from midnight to 6am? It seems like a lot to me and maybe I should readjust the fitbit parameters.

1550 / 24 * 6 = 387.

Depending on only 6 hrs, so very correct. See, you actually burn more than you think.
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,236 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • perky12415
    Options
    Whoops - said BMR when I meant my bodyfat was 30%.

Thanks Heybales for the quick reply. I am such a numbers nerd that I am salivating over your worksheets!!!
  • ElikaCousland
    ElikaCousland Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Question about the spreadsheet (sorry if this has been asked before!)

Using the Simple Setup tab, the TDEG equalled my BMR. Is this normal, and okay? I do an hour of walking each day, but that is my only real exercise at this point. Still, I've heard I should be -netting- my BMR at minimum, not -eating- it.

Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track here. =]
  • heybales
    Options
    Question about the spreadsheet (sorry if this has been asked before!)

Using the Simple Setup tab, the TDEG equalled my BMR. Is this normal, and okay? I do an hour of walking each day, but that is my only real exercise at this point. Still, I've heard I should be -netting- my BMR at minimum, not -eating- it.

Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track here. =]

For the TDEG to be at your BMR, that means you have a lot to lose and not a very high TDEE, and in those cases studies have found no problem with muscle mass loss when eating low - as long as protein is kept high enough. With enough fat the body doesn't feel threatened.

So confirm you follow the recommendation, in addition you probably noted that if the TDEG is close to BMR, you take 1 day of diet break a week.

Now if that makes you feel uncomfortable, you could take what that TDEE days gives you as extra, and spread it over the whole week.

So TDEE - TDEG = deficit (which is shown in spreadsheet results too)
    Deficit / 7 = extra to add to TDEG daily. Usually it's not much, the amount of inaccuracy in a food label almost.

That's why it's better to just take the deficit as given, but give your hormones a reset weekly.

Usually I've seen that last about a month, by then inches have move enough, BF number has dropped enough, that BMR, TDEE, and TDEG have all gone up.

If you were eating well below that number for a decent amount of time though, still beneficial to eat at TDEE for a bit. Like eat at the BMR for couple weeks, then half way to TDEE, then at TDEE.

Also consider the idea of netting your BMR. You calories burnt walking includes what you would have burned anyway, and in a diet, it includes what you were expected to burn anyway.

What are you expected to burn each hr of the day on avg? TDEE / 24.

So now take the calories reported for being burned, subtract that TDEE / 24, and that's how many you burned really above and beyond what was expected?

For walking, was it really that much extra?
  • sweiland1
    sweiland1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Looks great. I love spreadsheets. Can't wait to give it a go.