Introductions

Options

Replies

• qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I guess I should start by stating the obvious...I am not a woman but Aileen was nice enough to invite me (thank you). I feel that when it comes to lifting, and bulking in particular, it really doesnt matter if you are male or female the lifting is the same.

I am currently on an upper/lower split with mosly compound lifts and some supplimental movements mixed in. I am also going to be starting "Convict Conditioning" at home on Wednesday nights. If you havent heard of this book and you do work at home, you should absolutely check it out. All bodyweight exercises.

Nice to meet everyone and thanks again Aileen!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I guess I should start by stating the obvious...I am not a woman but Aileen was nice enough to invite me (thank you). I feel that when it comes to lifting, and bulking in particular, it really doesnt matter if you are male or female the lifting is the same.

I am currently on an upper/lower split with mosly compound lifts and some supplimental movements mixed in. I am also going to be starting "Convict Conditioning" at home on Wednesday nights. If you havent heard of this book and you do work at home, you should absolutely check it out. All bodyweight exercises.

Nice to meet everyone and thanks again Aileen!

Glad to have you here, buddy!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm think about bulking early Nov (after a potential Cabo trip). So I thought I'd join...

1. Starting Weight: 125 lb
    2: Bulk GW: 130 lb (I know, I'm a wimp)
    3. Maintenence calories: 2100
    4. Bulk calories: 2300
    5. Duration: 2-3 months
    6. Lifting Program: Currently doing a modified SL 5x5, but I do aerial acrobatics several times a week, so I'm not sure how that fits. Plan is 2 aerial classes, at least one open gym class, and 2-3 days at the gym for lower body.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this group!

This is my first week of an official surplus (started 11/6/13)

1. Starting Weight 126.5 and about 19% BF
    2. Bulk GW: 140 lbs
    3. TDEE: 2100-2150
    4. Bulk calories: working my way up to 2350 and then I'll adjust from there if need be
    5. Duration: Bulking until end of March/Beginning April
    6. Lifting Program: Power Muscle Burn 4 day split (found on M&S.com)
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone - :flowerforyou:

I am stalking this group. :smile:

I will readily admit that I chickened out on my first ever bulking phase after only 8 weeks because the cursed bloat refused to stand down. When I pulled out another pair of my bigger jeans from a box I had stashed in my closet in 2011, the mental warfare got the better of me and I waved the white flag. :embarassed:

I don't have all the numbers to share because I am in limbo currently. I cannot decide if I really want more muscle or if I can be truly happy with how I look now.

1. Starting weight: 106 lbs
    2. Bulk goal weight: ? (it was 120 when I started but I flaked out after the scale said 112 and my body measurements got ugly)
    3. Maintenance calories: ~2000
    4. Bulk calories: between 2400 and 2800
    5. Bulk goal duration: early August to first week of October
    6. Lifting program: my own. Combination of barbell and dumbbells. Compound movements that target a different muscle group each day. Six days a week. Zero cardio.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm not bulking now (got another 10 or 15 pounds to drop) but I'm hoping to be there by the end of the year, knock on wood. I'm so glad this group exists and that I can watch other women progress through bulking phase and hopefully pick up a tip or two for when I do it myself.

Good luck to everyone.
  • Imaan2012
    Imaan2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My name is Imaan, I am 41 years old and I am from The Netherlands.

I've started my first bulk as of the 2nd week of September.

1. Starting weight. 71kg
    2. Bulk goal weight. 75kg or so...
    3. Maintenance calories. 2200
    4. Bulk calories. 2500 ( but have been eating way more the last weeks...)
    5. Bulk goal duration. Sept - March/April 6-7 months
    6. Lifting program. Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to Size 12 weeks

Looking forward to read/share and learn here!

:flowerforyou:

Imaan
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm not bulking now (got another 10 or 15 pounds to drop) but I'm hoping to be there by the end of the year, knock on wood. I'm so glad this group exists and that I can watch other women progress through bulking phase and hopefully pick up a tip or two for when I do it myself.

Good luck to everyone.

Hi Creeper! (Er, friend!) :tongue:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Good luck to everyone.

It's not creeping, it's...observation. Yeah. Observation!

...look, a moose!

/creeps out
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Good luck to everyone.

It's not creeping, it's...observation. Yeah. Observation!

...look, a moose!

/creeps out

:laugh:
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I'm a shorty at not quite 5'2". I got my goals off of Scooby's website. I was able to calculate a clean bulk calorie goal with what is apparently a realistic bulking goal. I am not going to do the bulk/cut method, as you can see:

1. Starting weight. 96
    2. Bulk goal weight. 102
    3. Maintenance calories. 1390 plus exercise. I am increasing cals slowly. I have one day a week (or two) where I eat at bulk cals.
    4. Bulk calories. 1640 plus exercise
    5. Bulk goal duration. 1 year
    6. Lifting program. My own, which is a combo of Mike Chang (6pkabs), Bret Contrera (glutes), HASfit.com, and Bodybuilding.com. I use dumbbells. I do very little cardio, usually just a 40 min daily hike carrying a weighted backpack.

My goal: buns of steel!!

I eat Primal style (low carb), doing a once a week carb cycling thing.
  • TriLifter
    Options
    I'm a shorty at not quite 5'2". I got my goals off of Scooby's website. I was able to calculate a clean bulk calorie goal with what is apparently a realistic bulking goal. I am not going to do the bulk/cut method, as you can see:

1. Starting weight. 96
    2. Bulk goal weight. 102
    3. Maintenance calories. 1390 plus exercise. I am increasing cals slowly. I have one day a week (or two) where I eat at bulk cals.
    4. Bulk calories. 1640 plus exercise
    5. Bulk goal duration. 1 year
    6. Lifting program. My own, which is a combo of Mike Chang (6pkabs), Bret Contrera (glutes), HASfit.com, and Bodybuilding.com. I use dumbbells. I do very little cardio, usually just a 40 min daily hike carrying a weighted backpack.

My goal: buns of steel!!

I eat Primal style (low carb), doing a once a week carb cycling thing.

My "goal" is also to do a slow, clean bulk (body recomp) and end up with minimal fat gain (but I'm mentally prepared to gain more fat if that's what has to be). I eat low carb paleo :smile:

ETA: I've been going more primal the past few weeks, using greek yogurt and whey protein powder.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here looks great already, so I can't wait to see how we do over the next year!

Personally, I'm having to backtrack and strengthen my triceps and glutes before I proceed with heavy lifting. Their weakness is limiting me tremendously. I feel at risk for hurting myself from other muscles trying to compensate. Even with biceps (curls), I find my shoulders trying to jump in the way.

Anyway, wishing you all good luck and the strength to work hard!!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I'm glad Sara told me about this group! I'm Holly, 33 yo, 5'2 and plan to start my bulk in November. I'm not a stranger to bulking however a more structured bulk that I have planned will be new to me.

Pre Bulk Wt-125 lbs, approx 16% BF
    Ending Wt Goal-135lb, but would be ok if near 140lb.
    Length- 12-16 weeks
    Maintenance Calories-Range from 2200-2300
    Bulking Calories-Will see. I'm not a believer in adding in 300-500 cals a week and saying go with it. I will approach it as I do coming out of a cut and slowly reverse up. I will start with adding in a weekly avg of 100 cals daily and proceed each week from there till I reach the rate I want to gain. I will also avg it out where on lift days I will eat my largest surplus and on off days I will eat maintenance. (Basically a lean bulk)
    I do my own programs. I've lifted for a long time and have found a 5 day split is what's best for my goals and my recovery.

Legs (Quad Focus)
    Shoulders
    Back
    Chest/Hamstrings
    Bi/Tri (Depending on if my shoulders develop at the rate I want for possible comp, may add in some accessory work this day to hit them twice, but they get hit good on chest so it will be a touch and go)
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say how excited and grateful I am to have such a wonderful group of women to be going through this bulking process with! :heart: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :wink: :love: :smile:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Hi, i just found this group! Thanks for startnig this. so glad its here! there is a lot to learn , i've been lifting for a while but just got organized and on a solid power lifting program a couple months ago. my emphasis is more on strength than size.

1. Starting weight. 148
    2. Bulk goal weight. ? going by looks and feel
    3. Maintenance calories. 1600
    4. Bulk calories. 2000-2200 ? maybe not enough ?
    5. Bulk goal duration. at least a year, with weeks of rest throughout the year
    6. Lifting program. custom program by power lifting coaches
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm Sara and have been stalking this group for a few days now. All of you women are amazing and inspiring.

I'm hoping to post my stats and start a journal by the end of the month.

For six weeks now I've been trying to nail down my maintenance calories. The last two weeks I had the most fluctuations ever and panicked so I ate lower calories for a few days then weighed in at .8 under.

The next two weeks I will not panic and keep reminding myself of glycogen stores :-)

I'm on my fourth week of Stronglifts and want to take advantage of newbie gains this winter.

Thanks for making this group. You are all so inspiring :flowerforyou:
  • TriLifter
    Options
    I'd like to officially say welcome to all of the newcomers to this group! :flowerforyou:

I have to admit, my reason for starting it was selfish (just started my first bulk on Sunday!), but I was disheartened to find a group like this didn't exist already. I'm a member of the "gaining weight" group as well, but it's not very active. I am so excited to share this journey with all of you!

- Leena
  • maruby95
    maruby95 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hi all. This is my first bulk, and I'm a nervous wreck about it :0. Hoping I can stick it out, as I REALLY want to gain some LBM.

As of 10/18/13

1. Starting weight. 106

2. Bulk goal weight. Not sure. Maybe 110-115

3. Maintenance calories. 1700

4. Bulk calories. 1700-2000? Upping slowly until I reach .5lb/ week gain

5. Bulk goal duration. 3 months (end of Jan '14 I think)

6. Lifting program. Slightly modified SL 5 x 5

I'll try to get some picture up soon. Looking forward to 'bulking' with you all!!!

anna
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Hi all. This is my first bulk, and I'm a nervous wreck about it :0. Hoping I can stick it out, as I REALLY want to gain some LBM.

As of 10/18/13

1. Starting weight. 106

2. Bulk goal weight. Not sure. Maybe 110-115

3. Maintenance calories. 1700

4. Bulk calories. 1700-2000? Upping slowly until I reach .5lb/ week gain

5. Bulk goal duration. 3 months (end of Jan '14 I think)

6. Lifting program. Slightly modified SL 5 x 5

I'll try to get some picture up soon. Looking forward to 'bulking' with you all!!!

anna

Welcome, Anna!