stages 2 & 4

Options

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I agree with Katia. He wouldn't have listed all those different kinds of pushups if you were expected to do full, on the floor, military-style pushups by the end of stage 1. :smile:
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

Just checking in. Just dusted off 4B3 so only two more workouts of S4 left.

I had my first grip problem today on the wide-grip deadlift from a box. I don't think I want gloves but need to figure out how to strengthen my grip. Anyone have suggestions of what worked for them?
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Finished stage 2 today, only down 4 lbs since starting and down 1.5 % body fat. I will take that :)
  • sugarkane1234
    sugarkane1234 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

Just checking in. Just dusted off 4B3 so only two more workouts of S4 left.

I had my first grip problem today on the wide-grip deadlift from a box. I don't think I want gloves but need to figure out how to strengthen my grip. Anyone have suggestions of what worked for them?

Two thoughts: 1. Have you tried using a mixed grip? You grab the bar with one hand palm up and the other over-hand. You can switch "up" and "down" hands as needed. 2. If you haven't tried using chalk, I would give that a shot. I find it really helps me during my heavy deadlifts.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm starting S4 on Thursday 10/3, and I have a problem: my pinky toe is broken. It's healed enough that light to moderate impact is okay, but bending it or balancing on that foot is RIGHT OUT. Hopefully I'll be able to wear a shoe on it soon, and that should help with the balance issue somewhat.

I managed to make it through the last several workouts of S3 with little modification. I swapped partial single-leg squats for step ups (no toe-bending required) and planks for side planks, modified push ups, or an ab exercise. I ended up doing something similar with prone cobras some of the time, because those make me want to flex my toes for some reason.

S4 has a few problems for me, obviously. Here are some of my ideas for substitutions:

Dumbell one-point row: regular bent over row, or dumbbell two-point row. Such a shame, I love these.

Static lunge, rear foot elevated: CAREFULLY rest toes on step/ box/ pile o' weights and don't bend them during the exercise. I really can't come up with anything else except doing the Bulgarian split squat in both workouts. Or just more squats.

Reverse lunge from box w/forward reach: step ups (step downs?) with the same arm motions as the lunge prescribes. I love, love, love step ups as a sub for lunges.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi all, finished S4 today! I feel super strong, here are my stats:

Wide-grip deadlift from box : 50kg
    Bulgarian split squat: 10kg
    Wide-grip lat pulldowns: 15 (not sure what unit that is but its the hightest amount of weight on the machine)
    Reverse lunge with forward reach: 20kg (2x10kg)
    Prone-cuban snatch: 10 kg (2x5kg)
    Swiss ball crunch: 12 with a 7kg dumbbell overhead reach
    Lateral flexions: I do the third one and do 12 reps each side because thats when I start to feel something.
    Prone cobra: 3x120s (bit boring, don't really get this one)
    and 15mins of interval training on the treadmill alternating between 8mph and 10 mph.

Thanks for the suggestions sugarkane1234, I shall remember them and try them out in Stage 5.

To stef_monster, sorry to hear about your pinky. I think you've got it all pretty much figured out. I can't think of anything else but I if I do I'll come back to post. Hopefully you'll be able to put a shoe on it soon and maybe slowly incorporate the exercises back. How did you break it?

Well all, good luck with S2 or S4. I'm heading to the S3/5 thread next week, see you there soon :happy:
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    StefMonster's Gimpy Toe Workout, Stage 4A

Front Squat/ Push Press- no trouble here!

Step Up- would have been a no-go if it wasn't such a low-rep exercise. I suppose I could use a lower step or lighter weights to lessen the impact.

Bent-Over Barbell Row to replace Dumbbell One-Point Row. Using my bad foot for balancing is just out of the question right now. I'm not working the stabilizing muscles as hard, but at least I'm working.

Static Lunge, Rear Foot Elevated- HAHAHA....no. I found out very quickly that I can't use my right foot for balance OR bend the toes, so lunges will have to wait. I did regular old squats instead, because I will never stop loving squats.

Push Up- it's really bumming me out, but I'm just doing the push ups on my knees and doing more than the program recommends. I was really looking forward to starting the twisting push ups this stage, but they'll come around again, I'm sure.

Plank- I almost did a weird plank substitute with my feet on a low chair or the weight bench, but decided against it. I think that kind of setup would be more effective with a Swiss ball. Iinstead I did a side plank (60 seconds each side) and two sets of floor wipers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQLtfH9clx4 Obviously I'm not using 135lbs- I usually use 2 12-lb dumbells just to stabilize myself. I love floor wipers. They're absolutely brutal and they give you man-hip V-muscles if you work at it.

Cable Horizontal Wood Chop- no danger to my toe here, although I always feel like I'm doing something wrong on this exercise because it's not as hard as the others. Maybe I should crank up the weight?
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Anybody in here? Just finished Stage 4, A1. Whoa. I really busted my butt and by the time I got to the planks I had run out of fight. The best I could muster was three rounds of 40 seconds for each of the 3 sets. Even though I didn't do the exercise as written, I'm proud of my effort and looking forward to the remaining 7 workouts.
  • 40mpw
    Options
    Did 4B1 today. Nothing exciting to report and I am still experiencing some DOMS in my legs from Wednesday's workout. So glad today is Friday, my brain is fried.
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I cant wait to feel DOMs again... Starting S4 A today after taking a week off.
  • M00NPYE
    Options
    Why does my workout sheet says 2 or 3 sets on stage 4... ?? My choice? how many sets did you do?
  • 40mpw
    Options
    I'm doing 3 sets, but I'm curious what everyone else is choosing. On some of the lifts I don't care for (backward lunge w/ shoulder raise, cobras), I am tempted to cut it to 2 sets. Then I think that if I don't like that lift, it's probably because I suck at it, and if I suck at it then it's something I need to practice more, and that's a reason to do the extra set.

Did my second B workout today. I was a little hungover from celebrating my man's birthday last night. Since when does half a bottle of wine give me a hangover? Since I turned 30, that's when. I wasn't feeling 100% but I still gave it all my effort, even though "all my effort" included deloading a little.
  • M00NPYE
    Options
    I ended up doing 3 last night... but it did cross my mind to only do 2 when I was doing the dreaded planks... but I pushed through 3 sets anyway, like 40mpw, I guess I really need the practice.
  • saramea
    saramea Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Stage 4 tomorrow. Really hoping to see some inches or lbs come off though, since I still haven't lost any lbs' since starting in July and minimal inches : / Going to up my calories from 1510 to at least 1800 and clean up my diet though, so here's hoping for progress.
  • 40mpw
    Options
    Checking in after doing A3 today. Had my best PR yet -- I was able to do all three 120 second planks! Due to some general life circumstances, I have had a few weeks in a row where I've done 2 workouts instead of 3. This week will be another 2-workout week. It makes me feel like such a slacker, since NROL is the only formal exercise I have been getting!
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Great job on the 120 sec planks!! I was only able to get one of the 3 sets to 120 sec... You are definitely not slacking a 2 times a week;)
  • 40mpw
    Options
    Last A workout of Stage 4. It had the dubious distinction of being the first WO I couldn't complete! Got through all the lifts but could only squeak out one 45 second plank. Rested, tried again, and just collapsed after 15 seconds. Good grief! Skipped the horizontal wood chops and hit the shower. I have an aerial silks lesson tonight, so I didn't want to push myself past the point of no return and not be able to do silks. From my running days, I learned that you have good days and bad ones. All you can do is all you can do. Today I did the best I could do even though it was not the best I have ever done, and I am satisfied with that.
  • 40mpw
    Options
    Stage 4 is ovah! Gains from the end of Stage 2 to the end of Stage 4:

front press/ push press, 30 lbs to 50 lbs
    db 1-pt row, 22.5 lbs to 27.5 lbs
    cable horizontal wood chop, 25 lbs to 27.5 lbs
    dl, 110 lbs to 115 lbs
    underhand-grip lat pull-down, 75 lbs to 85 lbs
    reverse lunge w/ forward reach, 5 lbs to 8 lbs
    db prone cuban snatch, 5 lbs to 8 lbs

Looking forward to Stage 5 on Friday.
  • ashley11scott
    ashley11scott Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I start stage two on sunday i am going to do a mock workout of A and B so and not count it just so i know where all the stuff is that lll need. any tips? nervous to start stage 2 looks scary
  • anncan37
    anncan37 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just started stage 2 today - a mock workout is a good idea...wish I had thought of that!

I was excited to switch things up, though with so few workouts in stage 2, I'm wondering how much my weights will increase...