13»

Replies

• simont123
    Options
    I'm 2nd dan ITF style
  • tinovr
    tinovr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    1st Dan WTF tae kwon do. Taeguek poomsae and some sip pal gi.
  • c4chaos610
    c4chaos610 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Any body on here doing TKD or judo?

Started Judo in December. Loving every minute of it. 1st dan in TKD.
  • Greyeer
    Greyeer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I trained shotokan karate for 2 years and got up to yellow belt before moving to a new area with no karate clubs. Did nothing for nearly a year but now I have found an ITF TKD club that is nearby and lets all grades and ages train together in one massive hall meaning my hubby, my 8 year old son and I could start training without having to drive to the sports hall ever single evening.

It's a NIGHTMARE switching martial art! You TKDers have this bouncy thing going on whilst my brain is screaming "STAY LEVEL!!" I think my hubby who has never trained anything before is finding TKD easier than me as he doesn't have old routines to get over.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I trained shotokan karate for 2 years and got up to yellow belt before moving to a new area with no karate clubs. Did nothing for nearly a year but now I have found an ITF TKD club that is nearby and lets all grades and ages train together in one massive hall meaning my hubby, my 8 year old son and I could start training without having to drive to the sports hall ever single evening.

It's a NIGHTMARE switching martial art! You TKDers have this bouncy thing going on whilst my brain is screaming "STAY LEVEL!!" I think my hubby who has never trained anything before is finding TKD easier than me as he doesn't have old routines to get over.

It's an ITF thang :wink:
  • melissawiltrout
    melissawiltrout Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Blue Belt TKD, test from high blue this week!
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Did TKD when I was younger. (and many other martial arts style)

Not doing TKD anymore but .... I'm a brown belt in Hapkido if we can count that to :)
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I can finally say that I am a yellow belt in WTF TKD :drinker:

Slowly getting into my forms and I'm not scared of the spinning pichagi anymore! yay me!
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I was a blue belt (along with my son who also was a blue belt) in WTF TKD for a year and a half, but both of us had to quit because of financial reasons. I'm really interested to try Kenpo Karate once my situation gets better.
  • ovlatnomp
    ovlatnomp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Black stripe in WTF TKD. Forms are my least favorite thing to do..i would rather be sparring.
    Forms are a great way to learn such things as rotation ( hands shoulders hips) hand/foot timing,focus, and power. It is the " text book" of an art's strategy.
  • ovlatnomp
    Options
    Agreed. There is no perfect art. The success or failure of practical application depends on the practitioner.
  • ovlatnomp
    Options
    I'd avoid like the plague any club that claims their martial art is the only one worth doing. All the martial arts are different and you can learn something from all styles, but you'll learn less from a club with that narrow a view.

The WTF is better / worse than ITF argument is stupid. They're different, WTF obviously has a more amusing name, but other than that it's really down to the club and instructor, more than what they call their style. You get inspirational teachers with good clubs and terrible teachers with terrible clubs in every style of every martial art.

Another common stupidity is 'oh but $martial art is just a sport, mine is the real deal'. No it isn't. You don't have to fight for survival, people don't regularly try to kill you, you go to a class with friends and practice. Even if you practice really hard it's still a sport. If you get proficient in any martial art you can use it effectively in a real fight situation, but it's still a (useful, awesome) sport.
    Agreed. There is no perfect art. The success or failure of practical application depends on the practitioner.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Black stripe in WTF TKD. Forms are my least favorite thing to do..i would rather be sparring.
    Forms are a great way to learn such things as rotation ( hands shoulders hips) hand/foot timing,focus, and power. It is the " text book" of an art's strategy.

Yes I know, however it doesn't mean I have to like them :)