frustrated. feedback please?

Options
2»

Replies

• Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I think i will try to eliminate one common "problem" food just one at a time, on a week by week basis, to see what happens.

I eat a lot of dairy foods, for example, especially hard cheese and yogurt. I could start with the hard cheese next week.
    I am facing the same as you, but what works for me is turn up the crease. Less of the rest and more fat like coconut oil, pork rinds etc do the trick. I also noticed some food sources don't work well for me. If I eat hard cheese I gain even tho it's low carb, so I skip that completely now.

Sometimes the answer can be that simple. I have no problems with cream cheeses and whipped cream, but I had gouda cheese the day before yesterday and BANG 700 grams up, again and it takes me several days to get that off, so yeah when I was eating it constantly I was not loosing an ounce. I also have been reading when you don't loose weight it could be you eat too much diary.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I found the link back, maybe you should read this:

http://authoritynutrition.com/15-reasons-not-losing-weight-on-a-low-carb-diet/
  • arcadia1983
    arcadia1983 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    if you've been doing this for 35 days I think it's fair to assume you are into ketosis anyway already, so why don't you try fat fasting for a few days? For people where calories intake made not much difference, and going on a free carb day didn't do much either, it seems to be the best way to kickstart weight loss. Just try put your macros on 5% carbs, 10% protein and 85% fat, trying to keep it within 1200cal per day. if you're in to try solutions, this might be an option to try as well :) I know it worked for me when I hit a plateau and that is apparently the suggested option for the ones on Atkins induction who can't really lose weight still.

http://www.carbsmart.com/fatfast.html
  • lebowski8
    lebowski8 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that link, I will take that advice
    I think i will try to eliminate one common "problem" food just one at a time, on a week by week basis, to see what happens.

I eat a lot of dairy foods, for example, especially hard cheese and yogurt. I could start with the hard cheese next week.
    I am facing the same as you, but what works for me is turn up the crease. Less of the rest and more fat like coconut oil, pork rinds etc do the trick. I also noticed some food sources don't work well for me. If I eat hard cheese I gain even tho it's low carb, so I skip that completely now.

Sometimes the answer can be that simple. I have no problems with cream cheeses and whipped cream, but I had gouda cheese the day before yesterday and BANG 700 grams up, again and it takes me several days to get that off, so yeah when I was eating it constantly I was not loosing an ounce. I also have been reading when you don't loose weight it could be you eat too much diary.
  • lebowski8
    Options
    That's a good idea too! When I read that link, I suddenly remembered doing that fat fast when i did atkins 12 years ago. I can't remember the results, but what I remembered was dividing up a couple jars of Macadamia nuts into 250 calorie portions.

if you've been doing this for 35 days I think it's fair to assume you are into ketosis anyway already, so why don't you try fat fasting for a few days? For people where calories intake made not much difference, and going on a free carb day didn't do much either, it seems to be the best way to kickstart weight loss. Just try put your macros on 5% carbs, 10% protein and 85% fat, trying to keep it within 1200cal per day. if you're in to try solutions, this might be an option to try as well :) I know it worked for me when I hit a plateau and that is apparently the suggested option for the ones on Atkins induction who can't really lose weight still.

http://www.carbsmart.com/fatfast.html
  • darlingdani83
    Options
    I hear ya on the frustration. I was in a similar situation but got back to losing again just a day or two ago. But I was definitely stalled for a week or so, and I've been at keto for about a month, so also fairly new to the game (and this is my first go at it.) The only thing I can suggest since you're pretty well versed in the science is that you should track your measurements and not just your weight. We all know that weight can fluctuate with water retention or if you gain muscle while burning fat (a reasonable expectation if you're working out regularly) but measurements don't lie. Keep it up, and I hope you break through your plateau soon!
  • lebowski8
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!

I want to keep on going. I'm doing keto for reasons beyond weight loss, but really that's most of it. The other part is hypothesis-- I want to see if I can get the blood work to move into the correct range. I really believe that keto can put my metabolism right-- better than all the other diet approaches. I want to avoid statins & diabetes meds.
    ... and I might have to find a new doctor who agrees with Peter Attia, Jeff Volek, Gary Taubes & Robert Atkins.

I've got a lot of tools for measurement-- MFP, keto sticks, a scale, a tape measure, a blood pressure cuff. Soon I will be adding the blood glucose monitor to my arsenal.

The keto sticks are showing light to moderate most days, which is fine with me. I've been in ketosis 24 of the last 30 days (80%). I didn't test the first 2 weeks.

In any case, I will be sticking to keto at least until I get my next blood test, which should be in February. If the test results are decent, I'm going to continue until the next blood test, and so on.... . If they are bad, I've got to try something else.

But yeah, I'd like to be thinner too!
    I hear ya on the frustration. I was in a similar situation but got back to losing again just a day or two ago. But I was definitely stalled for a week or so, and I've been at keto for about a month, so also fairly new to the game (and this is my first go at it.) The only thing I can suggest since you're pretty well versed in the science is that you should track your measurements and not just your weight. We all know that weight can fluctuate with water retention or if you gain muscle while burning fat (a reasonable expectation if you're working out regularly) but measurements don't lie. Keep it up, and I hope you break through your plateau soon!
  • puckertoe
    puckertoe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I understand your frustration, it has taken me 2 years to get into ketosis. I'm now in the groove after reading a book about low carbing for athletes. I realised that I wasnt eating enough fat and too many grams of protein. I've cut my carbs from 50g to 30g and reduced my proteins to 0.6g per lb of lean mass.... the rest of my cals are working out to about 120g of fat. I realy hadn't realised just what a change I had to make in my diet to get into ketosis. That happened about a week ago and I'v lost 6lb this week, having struggled with an upward trend this summer, even though I cycled across europe for 8 weeks.
  • lebowski8
    Options
    2 years ?!? That's real determination and grit.

I think my carbs were too high the first 2 weeks. I've since relaxed since posted my ranty frustration. I realized my expectations were set too high. Also I got a lot of great tips from the folks on the keto message boards.

Glad to hear your diet adjustments are working better for you.

Hi
    I understand your frustration, it has taken me 2 years to get into ketosis. I'm now in the groove after reading a book about low carbing for athletes. I realised that I wasnt eating enough fat and too many grams of protein. I've cut my carbs from 50g to 30g and reduced my proteins to 0.6g per lb of lean mass.... the rest of my cals are working out to about 120g of fat. I realy hadn't realised just what a change I had to make in my diet to get into ketosis. That happened about a week ago and I'v lost 6lb this week, having struggled with an upward trend this summer, even though I cycled across europe for 8 weeks.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Here are a few mor tips you may find helpful:

1) if you eat too much protein, your body will convert excess into sugar, and then that counteracts the ketosis metabolic reaction as by indirectly adding more sugar to your diet. Don't eat more than 1.5 grams protein per kg of lean body mass. That's all you need to survive.
    2) drink several glasses of water per day. I'm on a lchf diet too and notice that I don't do well on days that I skip drinking water. Helps to flush out the crap.
    3) take a multivitamin supplement like centrum, omega 3 fish oil and vitamin D, I do that so my body doesn't go into freak out mode thinking it's not getting nutrients
    4) you mention that you got your calorie set point from a variety of calculators on the internet, but didn't clarify wether or not you used a calorie deficiency in your formula. For example, to lose about a pound per week, you need a calorie deficiency of approx 3500 calories per week. Calculate the number of cals you need to survive in a week, and then minus the 3500. That should be your calorie set point for the week.
    5) don't base your macronutrient % without considering how many carbs and protein you should limit yourself to. First figure out your daily calorie target using the 3500 calorie deficiency as described in (4). Then set your limit to 30 carbs max per day. Figure out how many calories 30 carbs are (120 calories), and minus that from your daily calorie max. Then figure out how much calories in protein you should be eating (1.5 grams protein per kg lean body weight, and there are 4 calories per gram protein) and minus that from your daily calorie target. In the end, the remaining calories after minussing the carbs and protein allowance are the calories you should be consuming as fat. This is a more accurate way to calculate your macronutrient needs. The 10/20/70 % rule is a rough rule of thumb, only works for people within a certain height and weight category. If you are outside that window (like I am) it will throw off your numbers.

Sincerely hope this helps. Hang in there tiger.