What do you do?

Options
One of the most common questions I get when I tell people I work overnights is "what do you do?"

I work on a mobile crisis team. I do suicide prevention, substance abuse treatment, domestic violence and any other kind of "crisis" work that presents itself throughout any given night. We cover a county of about 3.5 million people and work on two-person teams.

So what do you do?

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,229 Member
    Options
    XlanC - That sounds more of a labor of love than anything else. Some how talking people off the ledge or out of a fight seems like putting yourself right in harms way.

I work an overnight Veterinary Emergency clinic. A lot of lacerations, bite wounds and a LOT of vomit/diarrhea. Every so often we end up with some really cool stuff but it beats working day practice where the stuff is always the same.
  • XianC
    XianC Posts: 93
    Options
    Well we don't put ourselves in harms way. If someone's on a ledge, generally the police are there before us and will just take the person to a higher level of care. If it's DV, police will be on scene and already have someone in custody. The calls we get are mostly secured scene calls. Either the people are calling themselves (and if we need police to come with, we stage with them) or the police or fire department are already there and things are safe to go in. We never roll up on people with weapons or who are being actively aggressive.

Reading your stories in the overnight thread has definitely been interesting. Those oddball cases you get can be pretty interesting. I can see how doing that on the overnights would be more interesting than days.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    There's a lot of stuff I don't post because I don't want to offend people. An example would be the cat that was shot in the face with an arrow and was still alive when it came in. We had to put it down.
  • LynneMarie1773
    LynneMarie1773 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a critical care nurse. I work 3 X 12 hour shifts per week 7p to 7 a. My biggest challenges are late night snacking and not having motivation/drive to exercise also making good food choices that usually require shopping meal prep cleaning planning which can be challenging when fatigued. Also, families patients staff and such will often bring in treats or unhealthy food rewards on holidays or for jobs well done. Hard to resist temptation when you're stressed and hungry and need a quick sugar boost. I have lost about 12 lbs so far using mfp for approx 1 month....hoping to lose 70-80 lbs. cheer shift worker, losing weight for us is especially challenging but possible through planning and calorie counting.
  • RyanJK85
    RyanJK85 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I am a dispatcher for a trucking company...Love working nights!
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I am a dispatcher/operator for the traffic management division of State Highway Administration. We assist motorists who run out of gas or break down, by staying behind them so no one else hits them, giving them a bit of gas to be able to make it to the gas station, give them water if they're overheating, pushing them out of the travel lane and onto the shoulder if they break down in the road, etc... We also assist the various law enforcement divisions and fireboard when they have lanes blocked for accidents or any activity. Also we manage all the roadwork that is going on, and (try) to make sure they are set up properly and have all the appropriate signs and safety devices out. We also take calls for dead animals, high water, ice and or snow, pot holes and debris in the road. I love my job (most of the time).
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I've often wondered who gets to clean up the dead deers when they get hit. Nasty job.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am a home care nurse for patients with trachs/vents. I work 3 12 hr shifts (7p-7a) weekly.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    What are Trachs? Tracheotomy?
  • ctalimenti
    Options
    What are Trachs? Tracheotomy?

Yes, tracheostomy.
  • ctalimenti
    Options
    XlanC - That sounds more of a labor of love than anything else. Some how talking people off the ledge or out of a fight seems like putting yourself right in harms way.

I work an overnight Veterinary Emergency clinic. A lot of lacerations, bite wounds and a LOT of vomit/diarrhea. Every so often we end up with some really cool stuff but it beats working day practice where the stuff is always the same.

My dad was a vet for 40 yrs in Michigan. As a kid/teen I'd observe dozens of different procedures. Common thing up there is Porcupine quills. I also used to bring home puppy dog tails when I was little.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    We don't dock as many tails as we used to but I can still remember when I first started working at a veterinary office one of the techs kids would take the puppy dog tails home. :-)
  • rusav
    rusav Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I've been a Registered Nurse for over 5 years now and I have worked in different settings of health care currently, I care for terminally ill patients. I work between 9 pm - 7 am 3-4 times/ week.
  • RyanJK85
    RyanJK85 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group :)
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Wow, caring for terminally ill patients would be hard. I admire you for being able to do that.
  • rusav
    Options
    Welcome to the group :)

Thanks ;-)
  • rusav
    Options
    Wow, caring for terminally ill patients would be hard. I admire you for being able to do that.

That's encouraging to hear right now. Yes it's hard sometimes but all you can only do is your best.
  • knekno
    knekno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm another RN--7p-7:30a (at least) 3 days a week. Never the same 3 days week to week! I've always worked nights, did 2 years of "regular" 8 hr shifts, and have been doing the 12s for a little over 24 years.
    I'm a chronic lurker, will be trying hard to add to the conversations. Nice to meet you all.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I work Swing shift in a railroad dispatch center monitoring the signal system and calling out people for trouble issues. Two night shifts a week Mon/tues.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Welcome KneKno. Look forward to more people lurking here. :-)