Better rough TDEE estimate than 5 level chart

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Insanity 45 min/6 days a week and cycling 2.75 hours a week for a total of 7.25 hours a week. This gives me 1.83 I think and my BMR is 1501 so my TDEE would be 2746? And a 20 percent cut would be 2196 calories a day??? I've been eating 1800 and I haven't seen any progress. Any advise?

Slowly start increasing calories by 100 extra for each day in a week, week after week, until you are eating more correct for your level of activity. Probably take 5 weeks.

That much activity, mainly on the carb burning anaerobic side of the range, (I'm guessing you make the bike intense), is stressful to the body.
    Diet is a stress too, as is many things in life.

Too much stress messes with hormones and will fight fat and weight loss. Your body has likely adapted and you are eating at TDEE right now, the definition of maintenance. Your potential TDEE is much higher.

And since almost at 10 lbs to go, you should only be at 10% deficit at this point, no where near 20% unless you want to keep shooting your body in the metabolism.

Be prepared for fast water weight gain as your body finally gets a chance to store more glucose you are training it to try to do. At least that is increased LBM, which also means increased metabolism.
  • leedebter
    leedebter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    heybales - thanks for responding. I def. don't want to keep shooting my body in the metabolism! I haven't updated my ticker. I probably have more like 20-30 to lose. In that case could I stick with the 20 percent cut or should I still go with a 10 percent cut?
  • heybales
    Options
    heybales - thanks for responding. I def. don't want to keep shooting my body in the metabolism! I haven't updated my ticker. I probably have more like 20-30 to lose. In that case could I stick with the 20 percent cut or should I still go with a 10 percent cut?

40 and over is 20%.
    I'd go with 15% until down to the 10 lbs then.
  • bump
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rori_74
    rori_74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Bump for later !
  • kittymoney
    kittymoney Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm re-running my numbers in this spreadsheet now I'm settling into a new weekly routine, and in anticipation of having my body fat % measured again. Can you please glance at this and let me know if I'm on the right track estimating activity minutes?

Low cardio exercise walking flat up to 3mph and Pilates - 520 minutes (I walk about an hour a day including on weekends)

High cardio exercise more intense than walking 4 mph - 90 minutes of C25K (3 x 30 minute sessions)

Minutes a week of weight lifting (not circuit training) including set rests but not warmup/cooldown cardio - 135 minutes (3 x 45 minute sessions of StrongLifts)

My average TDEE on a normal day with no exercise from my Jawbone UP is 2000+. My average weekly "active time" would be about 15 hours, 18 on a very active week. I figured about an hour a day of walking 7 days a week, less 15 hours active time, would be about 7 hours on my feet. Or should I not include time on my feet at all when running these numbers?

This has given me a multiplier of 1.59.
  • heybales
    Options
    I'm re-running my numbers in this spreadsheet now I'm settling into a new weekly routine, and in anticipation of having my body fat % measured again. Can you please glance at this and let me know if I'm on the right track estimating activity minutes?

Low cardio exercise walking flat up to 3mph and Pilates - 520 minutes (I walk about an hour a day including on weekends)

High cardio exercise more intense than walking 4 mph - 90 minutes of C25K (3 x 30 minute sessions)

Minutes a week of weight lifting (not circuit training) including set rests but not warmup/cooldown cardio - 135 minutes (3 x 45 minute sessions of StrongLifts)

My average TDEE on a normal day with no exercise from my Jawbone UP is 2000+. My average weekly "active time" would be about 15 hours, 18 on a very active week. I figured about an hour a day of walking 7 days a week, less 15 hours active time, would be about 7 hours on my feet. Or should I not include time on my feet at all when running these numbers?

This has given me a multiplier of 1.59.

If your walking is really slower than 3 mph flat, then that is correct. Other stuff sounds right on.

Notice the sedentary level has 1 hr daily average standing moving slowly time. There's your 7 hrs on your feet for some slow walking, to/from car, store, cooking, cleaning, ect.

You normally would include time on your feed if your 45 hr "work week" was more than a desk job sitting mainly. So if you had a part time job with 20 hrs weekly standing watching something, moving slowly, that's 20 hrs under service trades. If the other 25 hrs was home sitting or elsewhere, no extra. If you use that 25 hrs to exercise in, and then sit in the evenings, you just traded hours.
  • kathleenjoyful
    Options
    Thank you, that makes sense! I have a desk job so I'm not on my feet a lot at work. Really not sure if I walk that slow or faster, and realised I didn't factor in that a lot of the walking I do is over hilly areas and carrying heavy bags. I might play around and bump it up to the next category. Thanks heybales!
  • kathleenjoyful
    Options
    OK so I changed it and put in 60 minutes of Pilates in low cardio exercises, and 420 minutes of walking in medium cardio exercises (considering carrying heavy loads, hills etc.) and left the other activities the same. This gives me a TDEE of 2,417 and a TDEG of 1,926. However, if I put in my body fat % of 44% from the scales I have, it drops my TDEE to 2,135 and my TDEG to 1,659. Considering I'm losing eating an average of 2000 calories a day (lost 0.8gs / 1.76lbs over the last 9 days), should I just leave my calorie goal around 1900-2000 and see how I go continuing my new workout schedule? I admit I would actually panic at the thought of only eating 1600ish calories.
  • heybales
    Options
    OK so I changed it and put in 60 minutes of Pilates in low cardio exercises, and 420 minutes of walking in medium cardio exercises (considering carrying heavy loads, hills etc.) and left the other activities the same. This gives me a TDEE of 2,417 and a TDEG of 1,926. However, if I put in my body fat % of 44% from the scales I have, it drops my TDEE to 2,135 and my TDEG to 1,659. Considering I'm losing eating an average of 2000 calories a day (lost 0.8gs / 1.76lbs over the last 9 days), should I just leave my calorie goal around 1900-2000 and see how I go continuing my new workout schedule? I admit I would actually panic at the thought of only eating 1600ish calories.

Those 3 levels of cardio, medium is about twice the burn as low, high is twice or more the burn as medium.

So if carrying extra weight and hills, where downhill is just as strenuous if not more than up, and you avg just a tad under 3 mph - that is indeed medium cardio, same as walking 3-4 mph.

When you did not use the BF%, did you erase the existing example figure which happens to be 44%?

I'd suggest you average those scales with measurement method, good BF% scales can be 5% accurate when used right. But not all rate as that accurate, many are 10-15% accurate, even if consistent.
    But include measurement methods, input your scale BF% in the field asking for it - delete the skinfold example figure if you didn't - and use the avg BF% given.

That being a best estimate makes the TDEE and TDEG best also.

And you can always eat more than TDEG, which is just lowest safe level to still retain muscle mass.

You would need a month of consistent workouts, no changes, and accurate daily logging, to discern a change to TDEE from estimated.

But the Progress tab will actually do that, far right.