Form check videos

Options

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much iwoodroff and girlie. I will have to watch the vids while doing the lifts I think. I have watched the actual videos for SL 5x5 so many times but then I still get it wrong.

I do not have a rack, not even a squat rack. If I can't lift the bar back over my head my husband comes and gets it for me. I will be getting one, but I have to wait a bit. So I don't have anything for OHP either.

Squats, I don't know why I wobble so much. I used to have excellent balance and OK flexibility but since having almost an entire pregnancy on bed rest and then doing nothing for almost be first year after I am a mess. I didn't feel like I was going forward so much while doing it. And I felt like I was going down far enough. My husband told me I was, but he just watched vids and has no experience. I can't seem to keep my heals down if I don't keep my legs apart and toes out. I will work on getting form better before increasing weight. The weight I'm at is not difficult.

Again, thanks for your help!

No problem if the stance you have is comfortable, just as I said try breaking at the knees before the hips, so don't push your bum back first, with a wide stance there is room for the bum to just drop between the legs and you will keep your back more upright and should just counteract the pitch forward, then just work on getting it a bit deeper
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH. I'll put something under the weights and see how that feels. Thank you again! :')
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    This is the deadlift setup checklist from starting strength, and I think works pretty well!

1. Take your stance, feet a little closer than you think it needs to be and with your toes out more than you like. Your shins should be about one inch from the bar, no more. This places the bar over the mid-foot – the whole foot, not the mid-instep.

2. Take your grip on the bar, leaving your hips up. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

3. Drop your knees forward and out until your shins touch the bar. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

4. Hard part: squeeze your chest up as hard as you can. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR. This establishes a "wave" of extension that goes all the way down to the lumbar, and sets the back angle from the top down. DO NOT LOWER YOUR HIPS – LIFT THE CHEST TO SET THE BACK ANGLE.

5. Squeeze the bar off the floor and drag it up your legs in contact with your skin/sweats until it locks out at the top. If you have done the above sequence precisely as described, the bar will come off the ground in a perfectly vertical path. All the slack will have come out of the arms and hamstrings in step 4, the bar will not jerk off the ground, and your back will be in good extension. You will perceive that your hips are too high, but if you have completed step 4 correctly, the scapulas, bar, and mid-foot will be in vertical alignment and the pull will be perfect. The pull will seem "shorter" this way.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much iwoodroff and girlie. I will have to watch the vids while doing the lifts I think. I have watched the actual videos for SL 5x5 so many times but then I still get it wrong.

I do not have a rack, not even a squat rack. If I can't lift the bar back over my head my husband comes and gets it for me. I will be getting one, but I have to wait a bit. So I don't have anything for OHP either.

Squats, I don't know why I wobble so much. I used to have excellent balance and OK flexibility but since having almost an entire pregnancy on bed rest and then doing nothing for almost be first year after I am a mess. I didn't feel like I was going forward so much while doing it. And I felt like I was going down far enough. My husband told me I was, but he just watched vids and has no experience. I can't seem to keep my heals down if I don't keep my legs apart and toes out. I will work on getting form better before increasing weight. The weight I'm at is not difficult.

Again, thanks for your help!

No problem if the stance you have is comfortable, just as I said try breaking at the knees before the hips, so don't push your bum back first, with a wide stance there is room for the bum to just drop between the legs and you will keep your back more upright and should just counteract the pitch forward, then just work on getting it a bit deeper

Thanks! I read everything to my hubby so hopefully he can help out a bit. I just got home after being away for a few days so hopefully tomorrow I will get some practice in. :)
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    back up to 60kg..

from 45 degrees http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7UBjifnoCec
    from the side (final set, fought that last rep up!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bwBWf26aVoI
  • girlie100
    Options

All look good to me :wink:

Just a little tweak try breaking at your knees before your hips so you allow your bum to drop, it might keep you more upright so as the weight gets heavier you're not fighting the bar pushing you forward
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    yes, I think I tend to do both at once (a form correction from an earlier concertina issue) and need to re-learn knees first..
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I've got a deadlift video from last night for a form check, I'd love any feedback you can give me. Thanks!

http://youtu.be/_QhjbWEzlIg

1 x 5 @ 155 pounds
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Nicely done. it looks very light for you!

couple of things and I'm sure others will notice other things..

you aren't approaching it with a lot of aggression/muscular tension. you need to drive your hips through at the end. Also try and put your shoulders in your back pockets!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Nicely done. it looks very light for you!

couple of things and I'm sure others will notice other things..

you aren't approaching it with a lot of aggression/muscular tension. you need to drive your hips through at the end. Also try and put your shoulders in your back pockets!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm definitely going to be working on upping the intensity and hip drive:) The back pocket thing is a good cue, I ALWAYS forget that one. Thanks again!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Squat form check please! This was my last set so I was tired. The second rep was definitely too far forward so please focus on the first and last.

THANKS!!!

http://youtu.be/MUmPw8GM-Vo
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Squat form check please! This was my last set so I was tired. The second rep was definitely too far forward so please focus on the first and last.

THANKS!!!

Overall it looks good. It looks like the bar is too far forward which is causing your knees to be too far forward. There's nothing wrong with knees going over toes per se, but in this instance there is :) The bar not being centered over your foot odds probably why you were folding as well on the 2nd rep. Try to sit back more into the squat.
  • lilawolf
    Options

THANKS!!!

Overall it looks good. It looks like the bar is too far forward which is causing your knees to be too far forward. There's nothing wrong with knees going over toes per se, but in this instance there is :) The bar not being centered over your foot odds probably why you were folding as well on the 2nd rep. Try to sit back more into the squat.

Are you saying that my hips/butt need to go further back, that my trunk needs to be more upright or both? It feels like the weight is approximately over midfoot when I squat (though I felt myself tilt/fail on that second rep). I can feel if the weight goes over my toes pretty easily ever since I've taken my running shoes off. I do think it may take a couple sessions to get used to the heel not being there though. Maybe I should put my heels on 2.5 plates?
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    You need to put your hips back more. Your torso angle looks fine in both the first and 3rd rep, but having the bar past your feet is probably what is causing you to fold over in the second. Have you tried a wider stance?

zB7as7x.jpg?1

If you look at the picture the line goes through the middle both your feet but doesn't even hit the barbell.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    You need to put your hips back more. Your torso angle looks fine in both the first and 3rd rep, but having the bar past your feet is probably what is causing you to fold over in the second. Have you tried a wider stance?

zB7as7x.jpg?1

If you look at the picture the line goes through the middle both your feet but doesn't even hit the barbell.

Wow. That picture really helped. I should have paused my own video! I completely see what you mean now. *sigh* One of these days I will get these squats down...
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    there's a nifty free app if you have android (they are working on IOS) called Barsense which draws a line following the barbell through the set. Worth checking out!
  • lilawolf
    Options

zB7as7x.jpg?1

Wow. That picture really helped. I should have paused my own video! I completely see what you mean now. *sigh* One of these days I will get these squats down...

I tried everything today: Purposely trying to stick my butt out further, trying to lean back, trying to keep my knees from going forward by dropping my butt straight down, wider stance, heels on plates, toes pointed further out, etc. The wider stance helped with just the bar but not with weight (I did 95 then 75lbs down from 105) and it was also much more difficult. Frustration may have been part of it so I will try again Saturday. Any advice would be appreciated!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    The problem is you're high bar squatting with a low bar squat back. You need to decide which one you want to do. :smile: If your back was in the correct angle for a high bar squat (much more vertical) than the barbell would be at mid foot, where you want it to be. If you want to low bar squat, then you just need to get the barbell in the proper position and get your butt back more (as already mentioned)
  • girlie100
    Options
    Leadfoot is right. Nothing wrong with high bar but you need to be much more vertical in the torso. When you unrack with high bar make sure you are getting your chest up so the torso is vertical. Once you have you stance settled start the squat by breaking at the knees rather than the hips so the bum drops straight down rather than backwards this will help keep your torso vertical. I always look slightly upwards to stop the chest falling.

The same can be applied to low bar, although your torso is going to be slightly more forward you want to keep it as close to vertical as you can.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Both of these responses ^^ make a lot of sense. I think that I will try low bar since I have that form down other than the bar position. I think it may put less stress on my sore rotator cuff as well.

If that doesn't feel right I'll try the high bar again while concentrating on keeping my chest up. Never thought about my chest during squats to be honest.

Thank you both so much!