Is anyone interested in starting a daily thread?

Options

Replies

• CylMcK
    CylMcK Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A daily thread sounds like a great idea.

I have a queston or poll so to speak. Who has the advantage on the bike: Both athletes are the same fitness level, the 59 year old woman that weighs 149 and 24% body fat or the 48 year old woman that weighs 189 and 44.8% bodyfat?

I don't know the answer, but would love the discussion.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Swim : Body Position Drill Set - 1600 Yards

Planned Duration:0:45:00
    Completed Duration:0:42:00
    Planned Distance:1400 yards
    Completed Distance:1400 yards
    Calories:490 caloriesWorkout Description:
    For all of these you can use fins to help with body position.
    4 x 50 Free Warm up. Focus on body position and small kicks from the hips.
    4 x 50 Kick with kickboard. Relaxed legs. Kicking from the hips.
    4 x 50 One arm out, one arm at your side (alternate between right and left sides)
    4 x 50 One arm freestyle (alternate between right and left sides)
    6 x 50 Freestyle with pull buoy
    6 x 50 Freestyle -- no fins and no pull buoy
    2 x 1 minute vertical kicking

Run : Water Running

Planned Duration:0:45:00
    Completed Duration:0:30:00
    Calories:440 caloriesWorkout Description:
    Don't *****, you know this is good for you.

Lifting (circuits) and stretching.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

so glad I live I'm a more temperate climate. I don't think I could make it 30 minutes on the treadmill, let alone 50! So I'm impressed already!

I start up my next "season" of training tomorrow with a good swim. Going to record my stroke to see what I should work on this year. Excited to see where the next year takes me!

Yeah, long treadmill routines are the norm for awhile, yuck.

Great idea on getting a video of your stroke. I just finished a session w/ swim coach who pointed out several flaws. Would love to see them on video.
  • scott091501
    Options
    A daily thread sounds like a great idea.

I have a queston or poll so to speak. Who has the advantage on the bike: Both athletes are the same fitness level, the 59 year old woman that weighs 149 and 24% body fat or the 48 year old woman that weighs 189 and 44.8% bodyfat?

I don't know the answer, but would love the discussion.

If the fitness is equal then given the power to kg ration the 59 year old would have the advantage. The same power output would push the smaller frame at a quicker rate.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options

so glad I live I'm a more temperate climate. I don't think I could make it 30 minutes on the treadmill, let alone 50! So I'm impressed already!

I start up my next "season" of training tomorrow with a good swim. Going to record my stroke to see what I should work on this year. Excited to see where the next year takes me!

Yeah, long treadmill routines are the norm for awhile, yuck.

Great idea on getting a video of your stroke. I just finished a session w/ swim coach who pointed out several flaws. Would love to see them on video.

Hubby has a gopro so we record each other. Gonna check out the footage tomorrow. Wasn't a strenuous workout but definitely productive.
    Also did some weight lifting. I really wimped out the past few weeks! I'll definitely feel it tomorrow!
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Gonna be a bit nippy tonight here in North Central Fla (high 20's that's F not C) so it looks like my run is going to be on the dreadmill also.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Yesterday - 5.25 miles road run Z2 + 6.5 miles bike Z2/Z3
    Today - 5.25 mile road run Z2, 6.5 mile bike Z2

Went to the Gym yesterday to re-hack my schedule. Told the guy I want to do a triathlon . He said he can't help me but to hold on for 5 minutes. The door opens and in comes a half iron man, regular triathlete and board member of the local tri club. He talked to me about what I want to do and the races I've booked into, looked at my current schedule and ripped it up and spent an hour devising me a triathlon specific programme of 1/2 hr weights and then and hour cardio beasting. (HITT for an hour on rowing, bike and dreadmill). I'm sort of looking forward to it but it looks like its going to hurt.
  • scott091501
    Options
    Bike : Bike - Stacker Down - 1:30

Planned Duration:1:30:00
    Completed Duration:1:30:00
    Completed Distance:27.11 miles
    Calories:1275 calories
    Workout Description:
    Stacker Down (1:30)
    Warm Up:
    10 minute easy
    5 minutes build effort - not too hard
    5 x :15 build effort/:45 easy
    Main Set:
    10 minutes in strong effort, 75-80 rpms in a big gear/1 minute easy.
    9 minutes in strong effort, 75-80 rpms in a big gear/2 minutes easy.
    8 minutes in strong effort 75-80 rpms in a big gear/3 minutes easy.
    7 minutes in strong effort, 75-80 rpms in a big gear/4 minutes easy.
    6 minutes in strong effort, 75-80 rpms in a big gear/5 minutes easy.
    Cool Down:
    15 minutes easy
  • valmaebel
    Options
    Did my spin class today. It's a nice way to supplement my training and get some force workouts in. I'm not good at motivating myself when I'm alone, so having a whole class able to see your effort really pushes me!
    Tomorrow more weight lifting. Hubby is going to help and make sure I'm doing squats correctly. I get to "sleep in" tomorrow so I'll hopefully get some good sleep!
  • scott091501
    Options
    Swim : Swim - Body Position/Kicking - 2000 Yards

Planned Duration:1:00:00
    Completed Duration:0:54:00
    Completed Distance:2000 yards
    Calories:630 caloriesWorkout Description:
    1 x 200 easy (mix in some drills and odd strokes)
    1 x 300 kick w/ fins (alternating 50 super fast, 50 very easy repeat for 300)
    6 x 50 (3-5-3s take three stroke, breath, 5 strokes, breath, 3 strokes breath)
    12X50 pull with pull buoy
    Repeat in cycles of 3
    #1= Pull buoy at crotch
    #2 = Pull buoy at knees
    #3 = Pull buoy at ankles
    Shifting the pull buoy around will shift your balance. Your job is to adapt to the balance shift through pushing down more on chest, rotating, squeezing butt.
    No interval take your time to do this right!
    1 x 300 kick w/ fins (alternating 50 super fast, 50 very easy repeat for 300)
    1 x 300 Cool down
    Take this time to re calibrate your stroke

Run : Run - ZR Recovery Run - :30

Planned Duration:0:30:00
    Completed Duration:0:30:51
    Completed Distance:3.03 miles
    Calories:452 caloriesWorkout Description:
    Keep your HR in ZR throughout this run.
    The purpose of this run is to get blood to your connective tissues and add some additional easy volume for durability. The purpose is NOT to see how fast you can run in ZR. The goal should be to see how slow you can run.
  • scott091501
    Options
    Did my spin class today. It's a nice way to supplement my training and get some force workouts in. I'm not good at motivating myself when I'm alone, so having a whole class able to see your effort really pushes me!
    Tomorrow more weight lifting. Hubby is going to help and make sure I'm doing squats correctly. I get to "sleep in" tomorrow so I'll hopefully get some good sleep!

There was an article about the benefit of spin classes to your training. Damned if I can find it though. My opinion is that riding outside>riding on the trainer>spin class>other cycling junk. The BEST spin classes are where people bring their bikes to a class with a whole bunch of trainers.
  • Djproulx
    Options

12X50 pull with pull buoy
    Repeat in cycles of 3
    #1= Pull buoy at crotch
    #2 = Pull buoy at knees
    #3 = Pull buoy at ankles
    Shifting the pull buoy around will shift your balance. Your job is to adapt to the balance shift through pushing down more on chest, rotating, squeezing butt.
    No interval take your time to do this right!

As a fairly new swimmer, I've been working on technique and only swimming with a pull buoy at the suggestion of the local tri club swim coach. Will try this cycle. Thanks for posting.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Made the best of a dreadmill session yesterday. 200/200 progressive workout ended up doing 25:20 time for 3.1 miles. Happy with this since 1/2 of the workout was at recovery pace of 10 min/mile.

today was a swim day, 12 x 50 with pull buoy w/ rest after every third lap. This was a recovery day effort focused on my swim technique, which still needs lots of work.
  • kchang77
    kchang77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Swim this morning:

WU:400

4 x 75 - 50 drills/25 swim
    2 x 100 w/ tennis balls

Next set 4 times:
    2 x 100 - 1st and 3rd sets = drills 2nd and 4th sets = swim at 1:40 pace
    1 x 50 Recovery
    Rest 30
    1 x 50 sprint on :50
    1 x 50 easy

CD: 200
  • scott091501
    Options
    45 minute nice easy run to test out the knee. Little bit of tightness but no pain. YAY!!
  • kchang77
    Options
    Evening trainer ride
    1 hour:
    Gayley - 4x8-minute intervals right at Functional Threshold Power (100% FTP) with 4-minute recoveries between intervals..
  • valmaebel
    Options

There was an article about the benefit of spin classes to your training. Damned if I can find it though. My opinion is that riding outside>riding on the trainer>spin class>other cycling junk. The BEST spin classes are where people bring their bikes to a class with a whole bunch of trainers.

Ah, but with three kids under the age of 5 and a hubby that works long hours this order is trumped by "time I can workout where someone else will watch my kids". Spin class falls under that category. I still get a good long bike in on the road once a week, but have to take what I can get.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    4 mile recovery pace run yesterday

5 x1000 repeats today. Felt lethargic this am. Difficult to finish workout and I was struggling the whole time...but its done.
  • kchang77
    Options
    Bike:

Baxter
    90 minutes of non-stop aerobic conditioning where the effort changes based on cadence.
  • scott091501
    Options
    1:20 aerobic run