Carb Counting

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Thanks Lynn I missed yesterday for my daughter was out. We went out to eat and shopping. I did good at my restaurant meal. Meat loaf, green beans and turnip greens, Don't know how many carbs the meat loaf had But what the heck once in a while should not hurt that bad.. Then we came home and work on a poofy pants out fit for my great granddaughter. Will post a picture when I get the T Shirt done The pants are all done.

]So that was my day. now My night was something else. I had cramps in my feet Around 2 AM Hurt so bad I could not get back to sleep Manage to get up and hobble to the TV room Had a cup of coffee and fell asleep in the chair so hobble back to bed and slep till 900 AM

So now I am starting my day.Will be back

right now I am as hungry as a bear

1609884dk7timwhmt.gif

Marie
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Marie, It sounds like you're really doing great at sticking to your eating plan. I look forward to hearing more about how you're doing and the results on your BG. You've done so well with only a few strange high numbers.

PS- Looking forward to seeing those poofy pants and the t-shirt you're working on for the granddaughter. I bet they're darling!
  • CALIECAT
    11937306453_445ffe6a33.jpg
    003 by rieriecat, on Flickr

"Full day tomorrow
    the poofy pants"

Breakfast today was the same Eggs fried with a slice of cheese on top
    1/2 dice tomatoes
    Coffee
    Lunch... 1 c Wolf brand chili, 1/2 cole slaw. tea
    Snack 1/2 c reek yourt if needed
    Dinner will be 3 oz. of Eckerd. Sausage, 1/2 Brussels spouts 1/2 t butter and 1 c Cole slaw, tea 1
    Full day tomorrow, lab work, HaIR CUT AND WALMART pICK UP SOME PRINTER INK.
    sEE 'Y
    marie
  • CALIECAT
    I forgot to post my readings
    AM 152
    noon116
    PM 110
    It was a little high this morning but fine the rest of the day.
    I woke up with terrible cramps in my right foot. I don't remember eating anything but I must have for it to be that high that early

Good days with bad days.

Marie
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    I like the pants/trousers. Where's the like button??? :love:
    Do you do a lot of sewing?
  • I love the pants and outfit! Sometimes morning blood sugar levels are high when people aren't able to sleep well. You're off to another good start today. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • retiree2006
    Such a cute outfit! That's one lucky little girl and I'm sure she'll be thrilled.

You're doing great with finding what works for you and helps you keep the numbers down most of the time. Good work, Marie!
  • CALIECAT
    MY numbers today
    AM,,,116
    noon.. 92
    pm...105

I have started back today on my beans . Wanted to see how they effect my blood sugar. so far so good In the morning will tell
    My meals today
    Breakfast
    Protein shake... for early apt for blood work took it with me to drink before I started my grocer shopping
    lunch 1/2 c Cole slaw, 1/2 c pinto beans seasoned with butter salt and peppercoffee
    Dinner 1/2 c beans, 1/2 c of cole slaw, 1 C summer eggies season with butter salt and pepper coffee
    Water thru out the day.

In a couple weeks I will add 1 fruit a day. and I am ready for some

retiree:heart: Thank you for your wonderful support you have been so much help to me.

Lynn:heart: Thank you too. tell me more about Glucerna. I need to check the carbs out on them, I did not have one this morning,.I did pick some up at the Walmartt this morning I like to eat my beans and veggies to well to make a habit Of it. but do like to carry one with me when I am out and to have one by my bed in case of a low blood sugar. at night

Blackiris49:heart: No I do not do much sewing now. Poor eyesight Bad back. Can't sew a straight seam any more. but I still like to try I used to have a booth at a craft mall But they have died out now.

Have a nice week and enjoy chatting with you all.
    Would like to know more about your life.

Hugs Marie:heart:
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Regarding your breakfast, even if you don't count your non-starchy veggies, you should count the tomatoes and carrots if you eat them, too. They are both on the high end. All fruits have carbs, so I'd check another site and cross reference.

Another important key...as much as you want to watch what you eat, timing is critical, too. Eating small meals/snacks every 3-4 hours is essential. Typically keeps the pancreas from over producing insulin.
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Oh, regarding the Glucerna mentioned above, you want to use the Glucerna Hunger Smart Shakes or hunger smart snack bars...those are lowest in carbs and are somewhat time released to prevent spikes. They're really good, too. Also, love the Glucerna Nutrition Bars Mini Snacks. They are small, but only 80 calories and typically satisfy that need for something sweet or chocolatey beyond fruit.

So that you don't think I work or advertise for Glucerna, I also love the Atkins snack/light meal/treat bars, plus a few meal bars. A little higher in the fat, but also low net carbs. South Beach sells a few items,too that are lower in the fat, calories and net carbs combined. Just have to check the labels. Good luck.
  • CALIECAT
    Oh, regarding the Glucerna mentioned above, you want to use the Glucerna Hunger Smart Shakes or hunger smart snack bars...those are lowest in carbs and are somewhat time released to prevent spikes. They're really good, too. Also, love the Glucerna Nutrition Bars Mini Snacks. They are small, but only 80 calories and typically satisfy that need for something sweet or chocolatey beyond fruit.

So that you don't think I work or advertise for Glucerna, I also love the Atkins snack/light meal/treat bars, plus a few meal bars. A little higher in the fat, but also low net carbs. South Beach sells a few items,too that are lower in the fat, calories and net carbs combined. Just have to check the labels. Good luck.

KANGOROO I HAVE TRY DOFFERENCE BARS AND SO FAR hAVE NOT FOUND ANY I LIKE
    I think I have even try one of the glucerna bars. Most all taste too sweet for me now don't get me wrong I like my seets but not overbearin ones. But I might check them out again. Thanks you
  • CALIECAT
    I missed yesterday. I was having pain in my leg from 5 yesterday morning till just before bedtime. They let me and I has a good 11 hours of sleep, plus a couple naps in my chair.
    My blood sugar for yesterday was
    am..139
    noon 122 I guess I did not take last night for I don't see it

Today
    AM 101
    Noon 56
    Pm... 162
    Not too good.
  • CALIECAT
    good evening folks, beautiful day here
    Been to the store About all I did but cook and wash dishes.

Breakfast.... 1/2 avocado, cole slaw coffee with creamer
    Lunch.... sauté zucchini, onion and yellow squash shrimp cole slaw, tea

Dinner....Crock pot chicken breast cooked in diet root beer some more of the sauté veggies, roasted turnips and salad

Blood Sugar
    AM..........92
    NOON...117
    PM..........86

marie
  • I hope you're continuing to do well Marie. I consult with Glucerna and would like to give you additional information on the products, but I'm respectful of the community rules and am waiting to hear back from the adminstrator. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • CALIECAT
    Dear Lynn, I had a bad 2 days of carb eating, Sugar got low and off I went to carb land.
    My e mail is .....marie234@sbcglobal.net.... if you like to reach me.. I have started on South Beach Diet of gluten free.
    I did buy a box of Glucerna 80 calorie Snack bar. Today has been a good day for me. I go to t he doctor in the morning to see how my A1c is
  • I've heard of eating to your meter but no one ever explained what it was - thank you for that! I have also gone ahead and eliminated the majority of grains from my diet, although I have the occasional english muffin with peanut butter two or three times a month. I used to be big on toast - 4 slices every morning - I miss it! I found that looking up a list of the carbs in fruits and veggies helps when grocery shopping. I am not big on green, leafy stuff so this was important for me! As a result, I stick to green beans, asparagus, mushrooms, cabbage and onions. Unfortunately I am more particular when it comes to fruit, so I have settled for the rare apple or half a banana (I hate banana's - ick!) or some cherries.

Carbs in Veggies: http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/nutrition/carb-counter-vegetables.html
    Carbs in Fruits: http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/food/fruit/carbohydrate

I like routine so my breakfast is often 2-3 eggs scrambled with muenster cheese and some salsa or diced bell peppers and onions (tablespoon of each). Sometimes I have a side of sauteed zucchini, but honestly I am a little burnt out on zucchini every morning. In the beginning my diabetic educator gave me a meal plan that breaks down a 1,500 calorie day into meals, and how many servings of what food group you should have each meal. I found it very useful when I was first diagnosed and lost 20 pounds over 2-3 months just following along with it. (If you have trouble knowing what to eat, it is helpful, I can pass it along via e-mail if you'd like).

I forgot to mention, I am a Type 2 Insulin-Resistant diabetic. I have only been prescribed metformin, and hope to keep it that way! If I miss my doses and/or eat unhealthy, my levels are in the 250s- all day long. When I got diagnosed, I was regularly hitting 300-400. Honestly, I am sure the food I was ingesting was a big part of it too! A cup of coffee with some creamer, 2 tsp sugar and half a bagel with cream cheese could have me at 400 after 2 hours. I have had a week of 200s, and finally hit a 123 fasting today (only had slept for 3 hours and hadn't had food in the last 7 hours prior to testing). Here's to getting back on track!
  • CALIECAT
    Yes I would like to have it. I am trying to learn all I can about these darn carbs, My email is the post just before yours
    Marie Thanks My blood sugar Before Breakfast 84 no insulin......before lunch140 3 units of fast acting insulin....before dinner 93 3 units of fast acting insulin ... Bed time 107.... Will have 20 units of Lantus
    now time for bed and see what my early morning r When I wake up reading is.

Marie
  • Yes I would like to have it. I am trying to learn all I can about these darn carbs, My email is the post just before yours
    Marie Thanks My blood sugar Before Breakfast 84 no insulin......before lunch140 3 units of fast acting insulin....before dinner 93 3 units of fast acting insulin ... Bed time 107.... Will have 20 units of Lantus
    now time for bed and see what my early morning r When I wake up reading is.

Marie

I sent it to you :)
  • CALIECAT
    My A1C was 6.7 and my doctor was real pleased. my blood sugar this morning was94

Breakfast.... 2 eggs over a bed of cole slaw/
    lunch.. Ate out with my two daughter at a Mexican . Didn't do to bad had fajitas no tortilla But had Avocado, and bowls of beans and small cup of sherbet IT WAS FREE I KNOW IT HAD SUGAR IN IT . CARBS I DID NOT NEED. But WHAT THE HECK I only eat out once every 2 or 3 weeks.
    Dinner. salad with chicken

Marie

1588194lc9ghglyue.gif
  • retiree2006
    Woohoo!!!...I've been wondering how you did at your check up, Marie, and it sounds like you and the doctor were pleased with your progress. I'm so glad to hear that. You've worked hard at figuring out how you react to certain foods and it sounds like it's paying off. Keep up the good work!