Introduce Yourself

Options
123457»

Replies

• abeusher
    Options
    Hello friends. I'm Abe, 39 years old and from northern Virginia.

I was in the Army in the 1990s (82nd Airborne Paratrooper). I'm getting back to my former fitness level (aka 'paratrooper shape').

I tried low-carb & south beach diet plans but didn't feel well on them.
    I'm currently eating vegetarian / flexetarian and twice a week I do a mini-fast (based on the 5:2 diet concept of partial fasting).

During the week I do some light running and bodyweight exercises like pushups and pullups.

Pleased to meet you all and looking forward to encouraging you on your journey.

Abe
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Welcome, kids.... glad to have you aboard!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Welcome, kids.... glad to have you aboard!

Welcome from me as well!! :drinker:
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Well jeepers, I've been a member of this group for a long time and haven't introduced myself. I've been on MFP for a couple of years. I used to be bigger, lost it with diet and exercise properly - tracking with pen and paper (HA), joined here to keep a handle on it and see if I fancy putting some effort into challenging my fitter self. It's also great to have a tracking system where I can see progress (or lack there of) but I'm not too hard on myself.
    I was raised in a Catholic family. My mother has her master's in theology and my dad was studying to be a Franciscan when they met. Is it redundant to say they are deeply religious? I soured on Catholicism in Catholic school, but not the core of the faith, just the administrative practice of it...small "t" traditions, and eventually their stances on abortion and birth control, coupled with the sex abuse scandals ended my participation as a believer. I suppose I'm sort of agnostic in that I don't think we have the answers to know what is really meant by a "higher power". I don't believe in father time in the sky who gives a**** if I go sit, stand, kneel every Sunday. I like some of philosophies of the new testament, but I don't think that book is divinely inspired.
    I do believe in personal spirituality and finding the best self within each of us. I'm always in search of inner peace.
    I'm anti-organized religion....
    Well, just bored and checking out the ol group.
  • mfpneuro
    mfpneuro Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP (doing the 5:2 Fast Diet) but old to Atheism. I started a "Skeptics Freethinkers Agnostics and Atheist" group at our UU Church in Annapolis (the name is long because we couldn't agree on a name). While I don't like the the term "atheist" because it says what I don't believe and not what I do. I prefer "naturalist". My beliefs are: Science, Reason, Wonder, Compassion, Community, and Respect. Glad to join the MFP Atheists. Will spend some time reading the previous postings.
  • accebersmith
    accebersmith Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hey, fellow rational people. Glad to find you guys here. I'm 43, married to an active duty soldier in the U.S. Army, and mother to a six year-old hurricane. I have a bachelor's degree in Instrumental Music Education and a juris doctorate, but I'm a SAHM for the moment. I'm going to go prepare for the snow headed our way, mostly by finding my fuzzy pj's and making more coffee (MOAR COFFEE!). Hope you guys have a decent Tuesday.
  • _onYxx_
    _onYxx_ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey folks,

43, male, musician, skeptic, a bit too big around the middle, need the motivation of friends who might look at my diary and see how crappy I eat sometimes. Been around the fitness/diet block a few times. I have screwed up and succeeded enough that I can probably share some insight and motivation.

I tend to think I can do everything all by myself, which is why I have been on MFP for years but only have one friend. That hasn't been working so well for me lately. Would like to connect with some like-minded folks like yourselves.

--Andy.
  • kelswadd
    kelswadd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! My name is Kelsey, I'm 26, and just joined MFP earlier this week. Something in my just kind of clicked, and I realized the health and quality-of-life implications of my weight. I'm motivated to workout for my over-all health, and to log what I eat. I've been a mindless eater my entire life. I ultimately want to lose 50 kilos, but I'm not focused on the long term at the moment. Just taking it 5 kilos at a time.

I'm American, but I've lived in Perth, Australia since Jan 2012, with my Aussie husband. We've been married just over a year. I was raised Mormon is Salt Lake City, but became an atheist when I was 20. One day that just clicked too. I had a hard time being myself among my very Mormon friends and family, and I'm extremely grateful I met my atheist husband that led me to Australia. I adore it here, and I'm grateful every day that I can truly be myself.

I would love as many buddies on here as possible, so please (please!) add me! You can also find me on twitter (@lilmissatheist). If you aren't part of the twitter community on twitter, you're missing out!

Cheers all, and good luck with your journey towards health and fitness!
  • ursus_maritimus
    Options
    Hey all, I thought I had introduced myself to this group some time ago, but it seems I haven't, so here goes. I'm a 42 year old guy from BC, Canada. I've been a member of MFP for a little over a year, but I joined and then neglected it for some time after some initial success. I've been back actively for about a week now.

I was raised in a very religious (Roman Catholic) family but never really clicked with the idea of religion as a kid. As an adult, I have studied religion for over 20 years and the more I study the more sure I am of my standing as an atheist. These days, I find myself OK with people's private faith, even though I don't pretend to think it makes sense, but I find myself leaning towards being actively anti-religious.

Anyhow, I'd welcome any friend adds from people who are like minded and won't offer to pray for me or give credit for either my or their success to their god :)
  • guntherbubbles
    guntherbubbles Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I joined mfp quite a long while back but never got serious. This time is different! On Thanksgiving I went from vegetarian to vegan but found myself packing in the easy starches and knew I needed to track better so here I am. Hopefully this group can get active. (I enjoyed looking through the book list btw!!) I am open to 'friends' here! Have a wonderful day.
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I'm so happy to find a group of likeminded people on MFP! I'm 25 and from Alabama. I grew up in church, and even when I stopped going (work/school schedule conflicts), I still hung on to my religion until last year when I finally realized that I hadn't really believed in a while, I was just clinging to something for the sake of clinging. I'm not terribly open about it, not everywhere, so finding people here, where I only know a few people IRL, is good.
  • Teasaidh
    Teasaidh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi, I joined MFP in the end of December, and I am determined to change my life. I was diagnosed last fall with Bipolar II and started on medication. It has made a tremendous difference and helped me to finally be successful at getting healthier, more active, and losing weight. My husband is very supportive as well.
  • ericafaye6988
    ericafaye6988 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Atheists!

I'm Erica, 25 (26 in June), VA- born and raised, queer, happily monogamous with a great girl! I am here to get motivated without god! I want to lose 130lbs. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Greetings! aedreana here, brand-new to your group. I am 61 and have been an atheist since the age of 9. Prior to age 9, I was an agnostic. I do NOT believe in any supreme being, creator, universal spirit, angels, demons, hell, or heaven. The Bible ought to begin with the disclaimer, "Once upon a time," and sit on the bookstore shelf alongside the Harry Potter series. Feel free to check out my profile. If you would like to be my friend, please add me! I don't send out individual friend requests, but I accept those sent my way. Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • polyglot1994
    polyglot1994 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey MFP atheists! I'm Daniel, 20 years old. I'm a college student who attends UALR in Arkansas. Add me!
  • nis75p06
    nis75p06 Posts: 114
    Options
    Cool! A group where meeting my goals won't be attributed to god's help! :)
  • DarcyHamlin
    DarcyHamlin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Darcy and I've been a skeptic for many years but only "out" as an atheist for a few. It was very interesting how my mood, energy levels, and life in general drastically improved after letting go of superstitions and belief in the supernatural. I consider myself a secular Buddhist, am a member of a Unitarian church, and attend Dharma Ocean meditation offerings here in Milwaukee.

I am still trying to navigate the fine line between being tolerant and speaking the truth. One of my MFP friends said something to the effect of "I prayed and prayed but the weight still didn't come off! Then I found MFP and I started losing!" I didn't post a comment pointing out that the prayers hadn't helped, that something real and demonstrable did, but perhaps I should have?

Anyway, I appreciate this group and am thrilled it exists!! Nice to meet you all. :smile:
  • ILoveMyHotFatBody
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm a mostly-atheist. I like evidence-based science. I like making decisions based on facts and unbiased scientific studies. I like scientific studies about food, exercise, and weight that aren't in any way funded by corporations that are affected by the studies' results. I like my fat body because liking my fat body is healthier than hating it. And I like this group. :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Hello everybody!

I just found this group, and figured I should leave the obligatory introduction. I'm on MFP because I want to lose weight and be healthier. I'm quite busy, so won't be on the forums every day or every week, but will occasionally be able to post multiple times in the same day... it's just what it is because I work FT, I'm a FT MBA student, and I'm very active politically (it's an election year, so that eats up some time also as I hold a few leadership positions with parties).

In addition to being atheist, I enjoy the great outdoors and have hiked all over the United States. One of the reasons I want to get into shape is to be able to tackle even more challenging feats, including climbing Mt. Rainier some day. I do have both type 1 diabetes (this is the auto-immune disease, which causes me to no longer make insulin and will always inject it or take through a pump) and type 2 diabetes (the more common type, resistance or inefficient use of insulin, caused by being overweight), as well as Hashimoto's disease.

Between being very busy , and the medical issues, I've had a difficult and slow time losing weight thus far. That is expected to continue, so I always welcome positive online support.

With all of that said, I'm interested in conversations with like-minded individuals, including fellow atheists.