Replies

• caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Welcome Dawn!
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am Dawn and am wanting to start a bulk and am in the beginning phases of learning more about what it entails. I have been lifting for about 2 years but was also an avid runner, so the two countered each other! Now focusing on building. Hoping to learn a lot from this group!!
    Starting weight: 120
    Hi Dawn, welcome to the group!
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Definitely glad to have found this group. I suppose you could say I have 'bulked' before when I was recovering from illness that left me a 90lb stick insect, but this is my first proper bulk-for-strength.

Stats: 5'5"-5'6", age 36
    Starting weight: 114lbs, 23% BF by portable monitor but I 'look' more like 18%
    Goal weight: not sure, maybe 120lbs to start and see how I feel
    Maintenance cals: about 1500 plus exercise as calculated by MFP
    Bulking target: about 1800-1900 plus eatback for exercise
    Timescale: slow

Problem - I started my bulk about 6 weeks ago and have actually LOST weight, even though I am lifting more than before! I find it very scary to eat above the target calories.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Eating more can definitely be scary since we are so typically programmed not to. If you are losing weight though it sounds like upping is exactly what you need to do!
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My PT has just drastically cut back my classes, so I suspect that will have a huge impact too. I was doing at least 45 min cardio plus 30-60min weights daily, much much more on Sat & Sun. It will take some getting used to. He jokes that I am one of the few students he has where he is saying 'eat more and exercise less'! I am enjoying seeing my lifts go up though, and finally starting to see something resembling muscle :-)
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    1. Starting weight. 130 lbs. Est. 28% BF
    2. Bulk goal weight. ?? I want to be between 18-20% BF.
    3. Maintenance calories. 1500/day
    4. Bulk calories. Not sure, yet?
    5. Bulk goal duration. Not sure, yet?
    6. Lifting program. Starting Strength

I've got only 3 work-out's down and am completely new to lifting, but I'm ready for more!

Edited to share my name. I'm Hailey :)
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

I've got only 3 work-out's down and am completely new to lifting, but I'm ready for more!

Hi! And welcome to the group! :D

Just a quick question...you have a lower bf% listed for "post-bulk"...was that a typo? Usually with bulks you put on weight/fat :) (Just checking to make sure!) :flowerforyou:
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Just a quick question...you have a lower bf% listed for "post-bulk"...was that a typo? Usually with bulks you put on weight/fat :) (Just checking to make sure!) :flowerforyou:

This.

Welcome!!
  • LiftingLizJ
    LiftingLizJ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm Liz! I been trying to bulk since around November but wimped out with eating more and at most did a slight recomp. However, now I finally feel ready to dedicate myself to really going for it!
    1. I'm 5'4 around 112 pounds, 20% bf
    2. I've decided not to go for a set goal weight but re-evaluate after 12 weeks of eating over TDEE
    3. Still playing around with this but around 1800 I think
    4. I'm trying to slowly work my way up to 2000, with an increase of 50 cals a week. Right now my goal is 1900 which I'm going to stick with another week because my totals have been thrown off by the holidays.
    5. 12 weeks, or about 4 cycles of my lifting program.
    6. I started lifting seriously around March of last year with Stronglifts and recently I've been doing ICF, which is strong lifts with some accessory work thrown in. However, for my bulk I'm moving to a 4 day upper/lower split:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/9-6-3-workout-system-muscle-size-strength

I'm almost done with my first week of it and I really like it so far. I'm going to try and make it through 4 cycles of it and see how happy I am with the results. I know the mental part of the bulk is where I'll struggle the most, especially trying to reduce cardio, but I going to try my hardest to push through it. Luckily I still have another few weeks before I head back to school so, I'm hoping to work through any water weight bounce induced freakouts before then! I'm excited to finally buckle down and really start doing this thing right!
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm Liz! I been trying to bulk since around November but wimped out with eating more and at most did a slight recomp. However, now I finally feel ready to dedicate myself to really going for it!
    1. I'm 5'4 around 112 pounds, 20% bf
    2. I've decided not to go for a set goal weight but re-evaluate after 12 weeks of eating over TDEE
    3. Still playing around with this but around 1800 I think
    4. I'm trying to slowly work my way up to 2000, with an increase of 50 cals a week. Right now my goal is 1900 which I'm going to stick with another week because my totals have been thrown off by the holidays.
    5. 12 weeks, or about 4 cycles of my lifting program.
    6. I started lifting seriously around March of last year with Stronglifts and recently I've been doing ICF, which is strong lifts with some accessory work thrown in. However, for my bulk I'm moving to a 4 day upper/lower split:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/9-6-3-workout-system-muscle-size-strength

I'm almost done with my first week of it and I really like it so far. I'm going to try and make it through 4 cycles of it and see how happy I am with the results. I know the mental part of the bulk is where I'll struggle the most, especially trying to reduce cardio, but I going to try my hardest to push through it. Luckily I still have another few weeks before I head back to school so, I'm hoping to work through any water weight bounce induced freakouts before then! I'm excited to finally buckle down and really start doing this thing right!
    Welcome to the group Liz! Please keep us posted on your results, would love to read about your experiences :happy:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Apparently, I need to be in a cutting group? Haha! Sorry! I DO want to build muscle, but I want to lose fat, also.
  • HMVOL7409
    Options

Apparently, I need to be in a cutting group? Haha! Sorry! I DO want to build muscle, but I want to lose fat, also.

You can't. You need to choose one or the other. Building new muscle mass requires a surplus of calories and a progressive lifting program.

With that said; I'm finding many women don't want to add weight on or build new muscle just have the appearance of a muscular defined physique. You can achieve this by preserving the muscle you already have, continue to lift and either eat at a very small deficit with a supplement of cardio or eat at your TDEE and do the same. Lifting should be your focus, cardio should only be used enough as a tool to aide in your results. It should not be the greater use of your time.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

You can't. You need to choose one or the other. Building new muscle mass requires a surplus of calories and a progressive lifting program.

With that said; I'm finding many women don't want to add weight on or build new muscle just have the appearance of a muscular defined physique. You can achieve this by preserving the muscle you already have, continue to lift and either eat at a very small deficit with a supplement of cardio or eat at your TDEE and do the same. Lifting should be your focus, cardio should only be used enough as a tool to aide in your results. It should not be the greater use of your time.

Oh. Well, then, I guess this group is more advanced than I am, or has different goals than I thought. My plan was to start lifting and continue to eat a small deficit.

Anyway, thanks.
  • cmeiron
    Options

Oh. Well, then, I guess this group is more advanced than I am, or has different goals than I thought. My plan was to start lifting and continue to eat a small deficit.

Anyway, thanks.

Those are awesome goals and you can get really nice visible results doing just this...I developed a much more toned/muscular appearance when I started lifting while eating at a deficit: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1081300-i-ate-i-trained-i-progressed-w-pics I might have put on a couple of pounds of "newbie" muscle gains, but nothing substantial since I was at a deficit. With the fat stripped off, though, and the muscle retained from lifting, you can LOOK like you gained muscle :)

Now I'm eating at a surplus to put muscle mass on :) If you complete your cut and reach your goal bf, you can reevaluate your goals and decide then if you want to bulk. Good luck!
  • HMVOL7409
    Options

Anyway, thanks.

Those are awesome goals and you can get really nice visible results doing just this...I developed a much more toned/muscular appearance when I started lifting while eating at a deficit: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1081300-i-ate-i-trained-i-progressed-w-pics I might have put on a couple of pounds of "newbie" muscle gains, but nothing substantial since I was at a deficit. With the fat stripped off, though, and the muscle retained from lifting, you can LOOK like you gained muscle :)

Now I'm eating at a surplus to put muscle mass on :) If you complete your cut and reach your goal bf, you can reevaluate your goals and decide then if you want to bulk. Good luck!

What she said. :)

Nope, you are still welcome! While the majority is trying to gain weight and add mass, we have many doing recomps, cuts, etc.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Anyway, thanks.

What she said. :)

Nope, you are still welcome! While the majority is trying to gain weight and add mass, we have many doing recomps, cuts, etc.

Absolutely what Holly said! Women in ANY stage of a bulk/cut cycle are definitely welcome.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm littlebudgie.

I found this group through cmeirun, and it seems really awesome. I've been dithering about whether or not to bulk for quite some time, and finally jumped into it feet first last week. If you're wondering why my profile has an M on it but I'm posting here, it's because despite being female-bodied I prefer male pronouns. I hope I'm still ok in here. :)

1. Starting weight. 134
    2. Bulk goal weight: 150/when my work pants get too tight.
    3. Maintenance calories. Not sure, but I was losing slowly at 1850.
    4. Bulk calories: An average of 2200 over the past week sent me up to 137, but I suspect that's largely glycogen repletion.
    5. Bulk goal duration: We'll see how I feel at the end of March.
    6. Lifting program: 3-day full body split put together by my PT.
  • cmeiron
    Options
    Yay, budgie! :bigsmile:
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Hi, I'm littlebudgie.

I found this group through cmeirun, and it seems really awesome. I've been dithering about whether or not to bulk for quite some time, and finally jumped into it feet first last week. If you're wondering why my profile has an M on it but I'm posting here, it's because despite being female-bodied I prefer male pronouns. I hope I'm still ok in here. :)

1. Starting weight. 134
    2. Bulk goal weight: 150/when my work pants get too tight.
    3. Maintenance calories. Not sure, but I was losing slowly at 1850.
    4. Bulk calories: An average of 2200 over the past week sent me up to 137, but I suspect that's largely glycogen repletion.
    5. Bulk goal duration: We'll see how I feel at the end of March.
    6. Lifting program: 3-day full body split put together by my PT.
    Welcome to the group! :flowerforyou:
  • Hishtagat
    Hishtagat Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hullo, people. Been lurking for a few weeks, and while I am not going on a bulk just yet, I figured I might already introduce myself.

Starting weight: Currently 110 lbs, cutting down to 100~ before embarking on the bulk. Yeah, I'm tiny. :<
    Bulk goal weight: 115ish or whenever my wardrobe will start complaining. I can't really afford new clothes. Hah.
    Maintenance calories: Last time I had an uninterrupted month of very meticulous logging, my calculations pointed at somewhere around 1900~. Planning to have another spotless four weeks now so I can verify. I do know that I cut quite steadily at anywhere from 1500 to 1700, though.
    Bulk calories: TBD.
    Bulk goal duration: As long as necessary. Not huge on being all trim for the summer, anyway.
    Lifting program: 5/3/1.

Well, that was a bit wordier than necessary. Uh oh.