Form critique thread, post your videos here.

Options

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    barbell-benchpress1.jpg

Probably like this. You can't see his arch but you know it's there. I do similar but probably not as much as I should. Once I'm under the bar, I'll try to inch downward a bit to dig my shoulders into the bench pad.

Thanks, it reinforces what I was taught.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    He had me pull my feet a lot further up towards my shoulders. He had me pull them back until I had to go on my tip toes. Then when I got the bar out, I forced my heels down to plant my feet flat on the floor. The result was a greatly increased arch and a serious amount of tension all the way from the floor through my shoulders. Way more back arch than I have ever gotten before but my butt was still on the bench. And it was very uncomfortable. Very, very uncomfortable, but not painful. When I dropped the weight, it's like I was loading up a catapult. The whole arch just loaded up with more tension. FIrst time I ever felt my entire body from head to toe push the bar out of the bottom.

I am not sure I would have ever gone that far just on my own. Just didn't pick up on that kind of tension from videos. Now that I have felt it, I know what to do.

That's what Dave Tate talks about here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw

Basically it should be really uncomfortable just to set up for the bench.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

So I have been doing stronglifts for just about a month and a half (took two weeks off due to illness).

The video is my first set of squats and my last set of squats at 105.
    The second part is first set of OHP at 45lbs.

Please don't judge me for my weakness lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s31nrKoPWcU&feature=youtu.be
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    in for info
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

So I have been doing stronglifts for just about a month and a half (took two weeks off due to illness).

Regarding the squats there's a few things:

1) During the walkout I'm concerned with how far back you're walking it out but moreover how far you're bent over during the walkout. I'd like to see you considerably more upright.

2) It looks to me like the barbell isn't over the midfoot. Your squat resembles a low-bar squat but you're high-bar squatting. The combination of this (more pronounced forward lean with the torso but the bar in a high position) places the bar further forward.

Given what I see in the video I'd prefer to see you learn a low bar position and see what happens when you are able to squat low bar. My guess is that, once you learn how to properly hold the bar in place, the issue will mostly take care of itself.

Bar position video here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2tyOLvArw0

Finally, you're a bit shy on depth on the squat.

Given all of the above, I'd consider taking some weight off the bar and practicing for a couple of weeks (Consider about a 20-25% deload). Once you've been able to work on the technique for a couple of weeks and you feel good (and repost a video) start ramping weight back up via SL program.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Squat. For doing it for a month, you are doing great. Suggestions:

1) I note your first attempt is really fast. Slow it down and work on getting on your heels. I can see you going forward over your toes. Your reps after your 1st one gets better and better. Try it with a bare bar or with a spotter so you don't fall back.
    2) Depth. You could go down 4-5" more to get to parallel. You'll get more out of the lift by getting your butt down more. ie.. engaging your glutes.

Those are the two big things I saw. Everything else looks okay for now.
  • viglet
    Options
    Thank you very much to you both!

I did my lift last night, but unfortunately I didn't have a chance to view the video on the low bar squat.

I lift again on Wednesday and I think I will take your suggestion (Sidesteel) and deload and focus on form for the next two weeks.

I will repost again at that time. Thanks again!
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I'm looking to get some feedback on my form for:

Deadlifts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYCH33HhhSg&feature=youtu.be

Squats (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3UOvuOYYoc&feature=youtu.be)

Bench (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8xpUp2f2s&feature=youtu.be)

I'm due to be bumping up the weights on them soon, and while I'm not seeing anything terribly out of whack, I would appreciate more knowledgeable eyes on them to ensure that I bump up safely. I do know that I have issues with keeping a neutral head position and have been working on that (it's a constant struggle). And my right side is a little stronger than my left; I did a lot of single-sided accessory work to try to correct that, and I did manage to get them more in-line, but I know there's still a gap - I just hope it's not large enough to cause me problems at this point.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this but is there a beam right in front of your feet? If so, that's a weird design for a squat rack because you're having to set your feet a few inches away from the rack. As a result, the load is in front of your spine rather than directly above it which is why you start out leaning forward a bit.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options

I'm due to be bumping up the weights on them soon, and while I'm not seeing anything terribly out of whack, I would appreciate more knowledgeable eyes on them to ensure that I bump up safely. I do know that I have issues with keeping a neutral head position and have been working on that (it's a constant struggle). And my right side is a little stronger than my left; I did a lot of single-sided accessory work to try to correct that, and I did manage to get them more in-line, but I know there's still a gap - I just hope it's not large enough to cause me problems at this point.
    I only had time to watch the squat video but your set up, walk out and overall form is good. One thing I notice is the back of your heel is lifting off the ground a bit as you hit bottom. When you drive upwards, you're coming off the middle of the foot and maybe even your toes. This is a common area that most people have to work on. Without the bar, see if you can bring your hips further back so that the weight remains over the heel through both phases. If mobility of the ankle and hips aren't an issue, you'll just need to retrain yourself in getting your hip further back so the heel stays firmly on the ground. If mobility is an issue, then you can focus a bit on increasing it in those areas.

Another thing is you can begin to tilt your pelvis forward a bit sooner so your shoulders raise just after your hips. In the video, your pelvis remains titled backward until you are almost done coming up. So begin to tit your pelvis forward just a bit sooner so the trunk starts to straighten earlier. This will allow the load to remain above the spin and not shift forward.

I'll check back tomorrow to watch it again as well as the other videos.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Will look at the others shortly, but re deads - the biggest issue I see is that you seem to be shrugging it at the end - you should pull back and bring your lats/shoulders back/down - not pull up at the lock out. The deads look good in general, although you start with your hips a bit high on the last one, but if you are shrugging at the top, this could lead to injury. I can't tell if you are scraping the bar up your thighs from the angle (you should be).
  • shellfly
    Options
    I only had time to watch the squat video but your set up, walk out and overall form is good. One thing I notice is the back of your heel is lifting off the ground a bit as you hit bottom. When you drive upwards, you're coming off the middle of the foot and maybe even your toes. This is a common area that most people have to work on. Without the bar, see if you can bring your hips further back so that the weight remains over the heel through both phases. If mobility of the ankle and hips aren't an issue, you'll just need to retrain yourself in getting your hip further back so the heel stays firmly on the ground. If mobility is an issue, then you can focus a bit on increasing it in those areas.

Another thing is you can begin to tilt your pelvis forward a bit sooner so your shoulders raise just after your hips. In the video, your pelvis remains titled backward until you are almost done coming up. So begin to tit your pelvis forward just a bit sooner so the trunk starts to straighten earlier. This will allow the load to remain above the spin and not shift forward.

I'll check back tomorrow to watch it again as well as the other videos.

Thanks for pointing both of those things out. I hadn't noticed the heels and thought I was pushing off from them, so I will focus on that during my session today. Will also try the pelvis shift forward.
  • shellfly
    Options
    Will look at the others shortly, but re deads - the biggest issue I see is that you seem to be shrugging it at the end - you should pull back and bring your lats/shoulders back/down - not pull up at the lock out. The deads look good in general, although you start with your hips a bit high on the last one, but if you are shrugging at the top, this could lead to injury. I can't tell if you are scraping the bar up your thighs from the angle (you should be).

I noticed those shrugs also; they're a recent development, and I have no idea why I started doing it. Will really focus on preventing that next time. And yeah, I've been working to get my hips a bit lower in general and will continue to. Yes, I've got the bar in contact the whole way up.
  • viglet
    Options
    I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this but is there a beam right in front of your feet? If so, that's a weird design for a squat rack because you're having to set your feet a few inches away from the rack. As a result, the load is in front of your spine rather than directly above it which is why you start out leaning forward a bit.

I never really paid any attention to that until I read your post. Last night when I did my lift I was more aware of that I really tried to straighten out before beginning my set.

I bought this bench without really knowing anything about lifting, hopefully in the near future I can upgrade to something that is better.
  • viglet
    Options
    So I deloaded as was suggested (down to 85lbs) and have been working on my form for the last week. I will post a video next week but I just wanted to see if you guys could tell me if I have the bar is proper for the low bar technique. Thank you in advance.

image_zps22ba6071.jpeg

image2_zpsebdcaf2b.jpeg

image1_zps1d0469ba.jpeg
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    He had me pull my feet a lot further up towards my shoulders. He had me pull them back until I had to go on my tip toes. Then when I got the bar out, I forced my heels down to plant my feet flat on the floor. The result was a greatly increased arch and a serious amount of tension all the way from the floor through my shoulders. Way more back arch than I have ever gotten before but my butt was still on the bench. And it was very uncomfortable. Very, very uncomfortable, but not painful. When I dropped the weight, it's like I was loading up a catapult. The whole arch just loaded up with more tension. FIrst time I ever felt my entire body from head to toe push the bar out of the bottom.

I am not sure I would have ever gone that far just on my own. Just didn't pick up on that kind of tension from videos. Now that I have felt it, I know what to do.

That's what Dave Tate talks about here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw

Just wanted to update everyone on here on the leg drive. I got a new PR @ 1x245. And all my sets are now a lot easier and more consistent now that I have good leg drive. Just amazing how I can lie flat on a bench and get my whole body involved in pushing something vertical. And my shoulders seem to be fully healed (knock on wood). As a matter of fact, most of my aches and pains have gone away. Really makes getting under the bar a wonderful experience. I think I can attribute this to proper warmup and better form. Time to compete.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    So I deloaded as was suggested (down to 85lbs) and have been working on my form for the last week. I will post a video next week but I just wanted to see if you guys could tell me if I have the bar is proper for the low bar technique. Thank you in advance.

image_zps22ba6071.jpeg

image2_zpsebdcaf2b.jpeg

image1_zps1d0469ba.jpeg

Looks like it may be a little high - but that depends one your bone structure. You want the bar literally just under the ridge that goes across your upper shoulders:

2ladhc6.gif

Be careful of your hand/wrist position - get your hands more over the bar - at the moment you will probably end up with weight on your wrists, which is not a good thing.
  • DopeItUp
    Options

Just wanted to update everyone on here on the leg drive. I got a new PR @ 1x245. And all my sets are now a lot easier and more consistent now that I have good leg drive. Just amazing how I can lie flat on a bench and get my whole body involved in pushing something vertical. And my shoulders seem to be fully healed (knock on wood). As a matter of fact, most of my aches and pains have gone away. Really makes getting under the bar a wonderful experience. I think I can attribute this to proper warmup and better form. Time to compete.

Nice work brother. I knew you were only a few tweaks away from smashing it.
  • DopeItUp
    Options

Not bad, push those knees out though. In the second video it looks like you might be caving a little. Hard to tell, it might just be the angle.