Form critique thread, post your videos here.

Options
SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
Let this be the master thread for anyone wishing to get commentary on technique. Please refrain from commenting unless you have a good understanding of the particular lift.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just emphasizing the request NOT to comment on critique unless you are an experienced lifter AND have a good knowledge of how to critique the lift(s) in question.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    tagging
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Bump. Need to make new videos of all my lifts.

Btw, at what weight do you recommend making a video? Max, warm up, some where in between?
  • taso42
    Options

Btw, at what weight do you recommend making a video? Max, warm up, some where in between?

Best to show the last working set, where you're at your tired worst. But no harm in showing some previous sets as well.
  • SideSteel
    Options

This is just my opinion here:

I think it depends on whether or not you're looking for a general critique or something specific. At the very least I would think that it's best to look at working weights for general form critiques.

I think that form issues tend to get magnified under heavier loads. Form can break down much worse on a 1RM attempt vs a warm-up set. (w/u set might not show the issues that can arise at near maximal loads)

I could see some logic in a beginner posting vids with lighter loads relatively speaking since they may be in a stage where they're just working on basic mechanics.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I agree with SideSteel re the working weight suggestion. At too light of a load, then it's not very useful as the issues may not be evident, and at a 1RM attempt (or at say 95%), you form will break down in any event. Something at 75 - 90% makes sense to me but within a working session.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Thanks for setting this up! I'm going to be mortified about the weight I'm using but I'll post tomorrow. I don't want to start off with bad form/bad habits - better to nip them in the bud early!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    So...I can be the guinea pig.

Video'd most of the lifts from my ridiculous 20 set deadlift session yesterday. Weights are not very close to my 1RM at all but I wanted to find at out what stage my back rounds so after my usual working set, deloaded and went back up in 10lb increments.

Main prior issue was that I was starting with the bar too far away from my shins. I am starting closer and starting with a little wider stance and my toes out a bit more than I was which is dropping me down into a slightly more pronounced squat position than I was. I was also trying to make sure I took the tension out of the bar before I started. I had a lot of trial and error but it started to look/feel better - although these are at the end of the 20 set session so my erectors are pretty fried at this point:

Not a great angle as I had to prop the camera, but here they are:

Last one in the monster session @ 205 (bear in mind, I was fried at this stage)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr6p12ULL5w&feature=youtu.be

Last triple set in the session without belt @ 185 There is a touch of rounding, but I don't see that amount as a problem but thoughts would be appreciated. Ignore the lady grunting in the background.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efjc4iG1SlY&feature=youtu.be

Last one I cannot see any rounding of the back at all on @ 175
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9uX6RaLIOg&feature=youtu.be
    I just cannot get my shoulders behind the bar with my stance - if they go behind, I drop my behind too low. I also need to tuck my chin. In addition, I am going round the knees on the negative so need to work on that.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    ^ I can't see the shoulder position relative the barbell due to the camera angle. I agree with you about neutral spine (chin down a bit more) and the descent.
  • taso42
    Options
    @Sarauk2sf honestly there isn't much to nitpick here. Re: the shoulders forward thing, I think I have the same problem. You may be setting up with your shins TOO close to the bar. Try setting up with the bar crossing over the middle of your foot (when you go down to pick up the bar, then they will touch). This is the way Rippetoe teaches it. You may already be doing this; it's hard to see. Re: the rounding back, looks like you've virtually eliminated that problem. One cue that I've heard of recently that seems to help me is "point your tits at the wall in front of you".

Sometimes when I get caught up in obsessing over form, I like to remind myself - if you're making progress and you're not injuring yourself, you are probably doing alright.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    @Sarauk2sf honestly there isn't much to nitpick here. Re: the shoulders forward thing, I think I have the same problem. You may be setting up with your shins TOO close to the bar. Try setting up with the bar crossing over the middle of your foot (when you go down to pick up the bar, then they will touch). This is the way Rippetoe teaches it. You may already be doing this; it's hard to see. Re: the rounding back, looks like you've virtually eliminated that problem. One cue that I've heard of recently that seems to help me is "point your tits at the wall in front of you".

Sometimes when I get caught up in obsessing over form, I like to remind myself - if you're making progress and you're not injuring yourself, you are probably doing alright.

Thanks Taso - I tried to arch my back a bit, which is sort of the same as tits out so I definitely think that helped with the rounding - I may play around with the extent of it and see if exaggerating it slightly helps at higher weights, as these were not that heavy based on my 1RM. I am also thinking of using something nearer to the top set here than my real 1RM to reset on 5/3/1.
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=534275559936744" width="176" height="144" frameborder="0">

My 17 yr old lil bro, 435 sumo deadlift,, kinda crappy vid but he wanted me to put it up
  • SideSteel
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=534275559936744" width="176" height="144" frameborder="0">

My 17 yr old lil bro, 435 sumo deadlift,, kinda crappy vid but he wanted me to put it up

Can he youtube it? I tried viewing but it's flagged as private.
  • dstromley1
    Options
    yea ill try, not great with computers so no promises
  • dstromley1
    Options
    says it wrong format and wont upload, will post another tomorow
  • jimlambrt2
    jimlambrt2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    taggging
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    also tagging. I'll post some high rep deadlifts for you guys to laugh at later :tongue:
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    For starters, here my high rep set. Plenty of average ones in there as my hips were starting way too far back but I expect that on some high rep stuff. Happy that the hips weren't rising first though and also that when the going got tough I think my form got tighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE0rYstVlbc
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Sara: keep practicing that neutral neck. I love it now :smile: I think one thing that may help is not waiting in your start position too long. What I try to do is when the bar drops after a rep, I then straighten my legs and butt will be high, then I bring it back down, tense the posterior chain and then EXPOLODE! I only want to be paused at the bottom position for maybe .2 of a second. I think that may help the minor rising of the hips first on the last single. Overall, much better than the other ones a little while back though!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sara: keep practicing that neutral neck. I love it now :smile: I think one thing that may help is not waiting in your start position too long. What I try to do is when the bar drops after a rep, I then straighten my legs and butt will be high, then I bring it back down, tense the posterior chain and then EXPOLODE! I only want to be paused at the bottom position for maybe .2 of a second. I think that may help the minor rising of the hips first on the last single. Overall, much better than the other ones a little while back though!

Thanks so much Chris...will try that 'trick" in between reps with the butt as well as trying to explode out more.