Form critique thread, post your videos here.

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Forgive the lack of apostrophes, Im at a Mexican computer on vacation right now and cant figure out where it is.

LMFAO
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will work on the OHP suggestions and post feedback! Here's the new deadlifts, which I think are improved a little. My long arms would be an advantage if I didn't have such long legs to go with them. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdxsZSwUSw4

It looks like you still have a bit of distance between the barbell and your legs on the way up. Are you dragging the bar up your shins?
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Hi I wasn't sure if this would be best here or as its own post.

I have hip mobility/joint pain issues and have had difficulty with deadlifting in the past. So I looked to RDL and SLDL. I thought I had the differences down, and thought I was doing a good RDL, then I saw this video. The female video, they say knees slightly bent, but look at her knees! The male video seems like exactly what I'm doing. So I start at the top, lower the bar a little below my knees, knees bend very little, back doesn't round, keep my head up but don't hyperextend my neck.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/romanian-deadlift

So should I be bending my knees more like Jamie? Thanks :smile:

My understanding is that RDLs have a slight bend and SLDLs dont. I like RDLs better.

Thanks! :smile:

I saw Lyle's website that the RDL should have legs slightly bent, SLDL legs are straight and end position is lower and he says SLDL also has arched back! That surprised me.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/rdl-vs-sldl.html
    So it seems this one video of Jamie Eason is the only thing with knees bending a LOT for RDL.... I'm just going to ignore that video then. :wink:

ETA .... by ignore, I mean watch it over and over again scratching my head :wink:
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Squats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1V2RxOItwI
    Deadlifts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB3DdUgOHsY

I tend to clip my knees with the bar a few times (like I did on the 2nd rep of the deadlift video). I'm guessing that that means I'm bending my knees a bit too early, so I'm trying to push my hips back earlier and bend my knees earlier.
    Other than that, how does my form look? Any suggestions?

Thank you!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will work on the OHP suggestions and post feedback! Here's the new deadlifts, which I think are improved a little. My long arms would be an advantage if I didn't have such long legs to go with them. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdxsZSwUSw4

Not bad, but how far apart are your feet? Its tough to tell but it looks like you may be a bit wide. When your feet are wide (unless youre pulling sumo) you cant keep your arms parallel. At an angle like that, you actually end up having to pull the bar a bit higher. When I pull my feet are very close together. Just something to keep in mind.

Forgive the lack of apostrophes, Im at a Mexican computer on vacation right now and cant figure out where it is.
    Thanks. I've been playing with my setup/form because after about 200 lbs I was getting a pain in my lower back about an inch left of my vertebrae and am not willing to push through that and find out if it'll injure something.

I'm trying to account for having long legs and smaller diameter weights. I built a platform to raise the weights so that the bar starts at mid-shin. That helped a lot! Now my back isn't totally scrunched when I start. I also set up my arms vertically first, and then place my feet. I haven't figured out whether I like legs wider or closer together. But I've gotten much more explosive movement since the changes.
    It looks like you still have a bit of distance between the barbell and your legs on the way up. Are you dragging the bar up your shins?
    I'm using the squat pad to keep the bar from destroying my shins. Is there a thin plastic sports shin-pad or something that would help?
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

I tend to clip my knees with the bar a few times (like I did on the 2nd rep of the deadlift video). I'm guessing that that means I'm bending my knees a bit too early, so I'm trying to push my hips back earlier and bend my knees earlier.

Thank you!

I think your form is pretty good! Would like to see some input from the experts. (Maybe keep your head up on the squats?)

Good work!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Squats:

- you need to go lower. you are not quite hitting parallel
    - your head is not 'fixed' in place - look at a fixed position ahead of you the whole time.
    - your lats/core do not seem to be engaged. Try taking your breath, tightening everything up, and then squat - keeping the tension throughout the squat
    - I cannot see from the angle but you look like your stance is a little narrow with your toes pointing too far forward
    - try to sit back a bit more (arch your back a bit) - it will stop your knees going quite so far over your toes (as will widening the stance)

Deadlifts:

Its a bit hard to critique this as you are doing your set so fast.

- you need to do the same thing as suggested for squats to set up - engage the lats/core, take a deep breath, arch your back a bit (you arched on a couple but not all)
    - a bit hard with hex plate, but reset at the end of each rep.
    - your arm looks bent when you start. Try to get your shoulders back and take the tension out before you start.
    - pull the bar back when you lift.
    - something is off about the timing but I cannot put my finger on it at the moment. Will re-watch a little later.

Heavier sets will be better to critique to be honest. What are your heaviest working sets? - those looked quite light for you.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I've been playing with my setup/form because after about 200 lbs I was getting a pain in my lower back about an inch left of my vertebrae and am not willing to push through that and find out if it'll injure something.

I'm trying to account for having long legs and smaller diameter weights. I built a platform to raise the weights so that the bar starts at mid-shin. That helped a lot! Now my back isn't totally scrunched when I start. I also set up my arms vertically first, and then place my feet. I haven't figured out whether I like legs wider or closer together. But I've gotten much more explosive movement since the changes.
    Try a sumo stance, see if it helps with backpain (it's harder on your hips though).
    I'm using the squat pad to keep the bar from destroying my shins. Is there a thin plastic sports shin-pad or something that would help?
    Socks
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Squats:

- you need to go lower. you are not quite hitting parallel
    - your head is not 'fixed' in place - look at a fixed position ahead of you the whole time.
    - your lats/core do not seem to be engaged. Try taking your breath, tightening everything up, and then squat - keeping the tension throughout the squat
    - I cannot see from the angle but you look like your stance is a little narrow with your toes pointing too far forward
    - try to sit back a bit more (arch your back a bit) - it will stop your knees going quite so far over your toes (as will widening the stance)

Deadlifts:

Its a bit hard to critique this as you are doing your set so fast.

- you need to do the same thing as suggested for squats to set up - engage the lats/core, take a deep breath, arch your back a bit (you arched on a couple but not all)
    - a bit hard with hex plate, but reset at the end of each rep.
    - your arm looks bent when you start. Try to get your shoulders back and take the tension out before you start.
    - pull the bar back when you lift.
    - something is off about the timing but I cannot put my finger on it at the moment. Will re-watch a little later.

Heavier sets will be better to critique to be honest. What are your heaviest working sets? - those looked quite light for you.

Thank you for your critiques! I'll try your tips tonight.

I'm working on going lower for the squats, I know I'm still a little bit above parallel but even when I'm doing bodyweight ones, if I go any lower I get a mix of pain and intense pressure and my knees will crack & pop. Something I'm working on, though. My stance is shoulder width and my toes are a little pointed out, but I'll try pointing them out more.

Sorry about that! The video was from my warm up set, I didn't really know which to film. My heaviest working set is 175, but I can go up to 195 for 1-3 reps.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Thank you for your critiques! I'll try your tips tonight.

I'm working on going lower for the squats, I know I'm still a little bit above parallel but even when I'm doing bodyweight ones, if I go any lower I get a mix of pain and intense pressure and my knees will crack & pop. Something I'm working on, though. My stance is shoulder width and my toes are a little pointed out, but I'll try pointing them out more.

Sorry about that! The video was from my warm up set, I didn't really know which to film. My heaviest working set is 175, but I can go up to 195 for 1-3 reps.

Try your stance wider than shoulder width. You should film your heaviest (or next to heaviest) working set and post next time - will allow for a better critique as warm ups are too light to show a lot of the issues, but are actually sometimes too light so they show issues that are not happening in the working sets.
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    For some reason the video doesn't load properly if you don't pause it and buffer for a bit before starting it. Anyways, aside from the bar path issues towards the end of the set, how are my squats?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMwxZ5eBKns
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    For some reason the video doesn't load properly if you don't pause it and buffer for a bit before starting it. Anyways, aside from the bar path issues towards the end of the set, how are my squats?

To me at least, the actual squat looked pretty good. You get depth, hit the reflex properly, and work through to lockout well. How did it feel to you? Did you maintain tightness throughout the lift?

Further, you should really try to clean up your setup. You unracked from a split stance when you weren't fully underneath the weight and took quite a few extraneous steps getting into position.

Unracking should be done with feet close together wrt width, maximizing height to get off the pins (which should minimize lift distance since you won't have to put it on a lower pin). I use my deadlifting foot placement to unrack. You can use a split stance I guess (though I don't like it) but if you do make sure you're fully under the bar before you pick it up.

Getting into position should be no more than 4 steps, it should be automatic without fidgeting or rocking.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Possibly an odd request - is anyone good at critiquing good mornings?
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

I'm sure others are better, but I'm decent at it.

ETA: If you do, try to get multiple angles and show a 5 or 8 rep set rather than a single or triple or whatever.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Looked good to me - I could not really find anything wrong with it - solid squatting.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Thanks. I will post soon. I do them quite a lot for hamstring work.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

ETA: If you do, try to get multiple angles and show a 5 or 8 rep set rather than a single or triple or whatever.

I usually do sets of 10. Next time I do them I will vary the angle I am video'ing (if possible)
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

I usually do sets of 10. Next time I do them I will vary the angle I am video'ing (if possible)

10 is fine, just don't do a 1RM or something. Good Mornings are supposed to be done for reps, so seeing a single won't give as much.
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options

To me at least, the actual squat looked pretty good. You get depth, hit the reflex properly, and work through to lockout well. How did it feel to you? Did you maintain tightness throughout the lift?

Further, you should really try to clean up your setup. You unracked from a split stance when you weren't fully underneath the weight and took quite a few extraneous steps getting into position.

Unracking should be done with feet close together wrt width, maximizing height to get off the pins (which should minimize lift distance since you won't have to put it on a lower pin). I use my deadlifting foot placement to unrack. You can use a split stance I guess (though I don't like it) but if you do make sure you're fully under the bar before you pick it up.

Getting into position should be no more than 4 steps, it should be automatic without fidgeting or rocking.

Overall I'm happy with the squats except for the bar path through the mid range, which I suspect is down to my glutes and hams. I just wanted a second opinion due to my rampant narcissism regarding my lifts lol.

I'm not sure I see what you mean re: unracking - I get under the bar with a split stance to make sure it's where I want it on my back, I then even up my foot placement to take the weight off the pins. I see my legs look uneven but I think (hope) it's the composition of the shot, not the lift. I'll work on it anyways.

@sarauk2sf I'll take a look at your GM's, by no means an expert but I should be able to spot most errors. So long as you're maintaining back position anywhere between arched and neutral, and you keep tight throughout, you're golden.

IIRC Wendler said he'd attempted GM's heavy for low reps to fix forward lean in the squat, but eventually ended up injuring himself and finding 8-12RM range best.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Overall I'm happy with the squats except for the bar path through the mid range, which I suspect is down to my glutes and hams. I just wanted a second opinion due to my rampant narcissism regarding my lifts lol.

I'm not sure I see what you mean re: unracking - I get under the bar with a split stance to make sure it's where I want it on my back, I then even up my foot placement to take the weight off the pins. I see my legs look uneven but I think (hope) it's the composition of the shot, not the lift. I'll work on it anyways.

@sarauk2sf I'll take a look at your GM's, by no means an expert but I should be able to spot most errors. So long as you're maintaining back position anywhere between arched and neutral, and you keep tight throughout, you're golden.

IIRC Wendler said he'd attempted GM's heavy for low reps to fix forward lean in the squat, but eventually ended up injuring himself and finding 8-12RM range best.

I must be smoking crack or something, because I first checked this video on my iPod and I swear it was a chick doing a 190 1RM, now it's a dude doing a 160kg 5 rep set. This is what I get for trying to check youtube at work.

Assuming I just screwed up the link, looking at the 160kg video now, my apologies in advance.