Form critique thread, post your videos here.

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I must be smoking crack or something, because I first checked this video on my iPod and I swear it was a chick doing a 190 1RM, now it's a dude doing a 160kg 5 rep set. This is what I get for trying to check youtube at work.

Assuming I just screwed up the link, looking at the 160kg video now, my apologies in advance.

Alright looked at it. All in all nice job. If you're making progress with this style and it's comfortable for you stick with it. I don't think you're doing anything inherently wrong or dangerous, so these are more finer points you might want to play with to see how they impact your lift and the smoothness of it:

How high up is the bar on your back? Reps 3 and 4 show the most, but even on rep 5 coming out of the hole you end up dipping forward before pulling the bar back in line vertically (almost like a mini good morning). Especially out of the hole that jitter can cut down on your max weight. Consider trying to get the bar maybe an inch lower on your back (or if you prefer go full high bar and have more of a sit back, though I still don't see how people can actually like high bar squatting, especially since you can't lift as much as low bar).

Also how tight are you getting? Increasing core tightness can really help with maintaining a rigid posture throughout the lift. I see that you're taking a breath between each rep, which is good, but I can't tell how tight you're getting. If you have a belt I'd try strapping it on for a couple sets to get a feel for how tight you should be, and shoot to emulate that on your beltless sets too.

My $0.02, again my apologies for the confusion.
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've never got on with low bar, they've always turned into 'squat-mornings' for me, I also had a lot of trouble with the rack position, so I decided to switch to high bar in January. That set puts me at a new 5RM, previously I'd got 157.5kg but that was low bar. I think I've basically shifted into a hybrid style now, though. The bar sits towards the base of my traps, but above the spine of the scapula. A bit lower than traditional high bar, I think.
    At the minute I'm happy with it, but I would like to correct that wobble. This Friday should give me 162.5kgx5, which looking at 1RM calculators should give 180kgx1. I'm going to test that next week I think, then deload my squats a little and work on form. I'm starting a more aggressive cut for 5 weeks in a month or so, then a 10 week steadier cut, then 10 weeks to prep for my first meet. Hopefully I'll have a proper solid squat technique sorted by then.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    First time ever doing deadlifts... sure there is plenty to improve but want to make sure my form is right to begin with so I won't injure myself.

http://youtu.be/wWQ6Pmj3UQ0

edit: Arg, can see I really arched my back on the way down. First thing I know I need to fix.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    First time ever doing deadlifts... sure there is plenty to improve but want to make sure my form is right to begin with so I won't injure myself.

edit: Arg, can see I really arched my back on the way down. First thing I know I need to fix.

You bend your arms a bit at the top, like a mini row. I think that might be contributing to the slight sway you see at the top, too. It's a small thing, but that sway at the top is a bit concerning if it becomes more pronounced with heavier weight.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I'd get slightly closer to the barbell. As the bar leaves the ground I can see a slight gap between your shins and the barbell and I can also see the barbell drift inwards slightly as it leaves the ground. To me, this tells me that the bar is not over the midfoot and under the scapula at the start of the pull.

The barbell should drag up your legs as you pull.
    I think you should consider not deadlifting in front of that mirror as you're being tempted to stare into it which *kitten* your head back and I don't think this spine position is ideal.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

-Like sidesteel said, the bar is too far away from your body. It's causing your back to round a little, which will get very dangerous when the weights are heavy.

-It also looks like you're rocking back on your heels a bit. When the bar gets to knee level, drive forward with your hips.

-You seem to using momentum to get the bar off of the ground. Tighten your quads and push through the floor to move the bar.
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options

You're pretty much just hinging at the waist to let the bar down, remember to bend your knees. Also unless you're doing a multirep set of touch and go deadlifts, it's acceptable to pretty much drop the bar (so long as your gym isn't arsey about it) - you just have to maintain contact with the bar with your hands, but otherwise let it fall, rather than slowly lowering it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Probably not the right place to ask but heh!

So I have started doing sumo deadlifts as opposed to conventional. I had done them a few times before but kind of randomly and without really doing my homework (read *any* homework) on proper form. So, after actually getting a better understanding of technique I have done them a couple of times instead of conventionals.

I am loving them - they seem to fit my physiology better and self correct my inclination to haul the bar up with my lower back that I usually have with conventionals.

However, one thing that is throwing me off is the fact that on the heavier sets when I use a mixed grip, my underhand grip hand kind of gets nudged, which makes me lose the balance on the bar a bit, when it hits my groin/upper thigh area (giggity). I think with conventionals my hands are in constant contact with my body to one degree or another, whereas with sumos there is the transition from going from not touching your body to then hitting your leg/groin area when the bar ascends.

Is this usual and I just have to suck it up and keep my grip tighter or is it something that sounds like I am doing something wrong?

Not sure if that makes any sense whatsoever!
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Probably not the right place to ask but heh!

So I have started doing sumo deadlifts as opposed to conventional. I had done them a few times before but kind of randomly and without really doing my homework (read *any* homework) on proper form. So, after actually getting a better understanding of technique I have done them a couple of times instead of conventionals.

I am loving them - they seem to fit my physiology better and self correct my inclination to haul the bar up with my lower back that I usually have with conventionals.

However, one thing that is throwing me off is the fact that on the heavier sets when I use a mixed grip, my underhand grip hand kind of gets nudged, which makes me lose the balance on the bar a bit, when it hits my groin/upper thigh area (giggity). I think with conventionals my hands are in constant contact with my body to one degree or another, whereas with sumos there is the transition from going from not touching your body to then hitting your leg/groin area when the bar ascends.

Is this usual and I just have to suck it up and keep my grip tighter or is it something that sounds like I am doing something wrong?

Not sure if that makes any sense whatsoever!

Are your wrists flexed at all during the pull?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Do you mean is my grip too far round so my wrist is coming from the back of the bar rather than above it?
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

Do you mean is my grip too far round so my wrist is coming from the back of the bar rather than above it?

If your wrist isn't bent on the grip, your knuckles shouldn't be protruding out on the underhand grip. How you might do that with a full grip i have no clue, the only time that happens to me is when the bar starts to slip and I'm holding it with my fingers (looking at it now I should've said wrist arch not flex), but pulling sumo my understanding is you should get contact at about the forearms. Assuming that and assuming n 'bump' out at the hand, I guess I don't see how you're getting nudged. Is it something you think you can work through? Sorry I can't help more i just have never really seen that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

If your wrist isn't bent on the grip, your knuckles shouldn't be protruding out on the underhand grip. How you might do that with a full grip i have no clue, the only time that happens to me is when the bar starts to slip and I'm holding it with my fingers (looking at it now I should've said wrist arch not flex), but pulling sumo my understanding is you should get contact at about the forearms. Assuming that and assuming n 'bump' out at the hand, I guess I don't see how you're getting nudged. Is it something you think you can work through? Sorry I can't help more i just have never really seen that.

I *think* my knuckles are under the bar (just). I am probably explaining this really badly. When I pull, my forrarms are against my inner/front thighs - and then as I raise up, the back of my hand/wrist hits me there - but it could be my knuckles. I will pay more attention to the placement of my hand and the issue next time I do deads to see if I can identify and explain better. I will possibly try to take a video as my grip may be off. Thank you for bearing with me on my garbled explanation.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I started a thread earlier this week asking for help with my bent-over rows (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/978529-bent-over-rows-halp) It was suggested I make a form video so here goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K1f-ZfPBEM

For context: I'm at the end of my second cycle of the All Pro Beginner routine. I started with 20 lb dumbbells as my heavy load in cycle 1 and haven't been able to advance. The video here is me with 15 lbs, 12 reps, 2 sets (medium load, final week of the cycle). They feel awful and we hates them. :/

Halp! Fix me!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Definitely seeing where you are having problems here but it will take me a while to figure out how to articulate this.

I'll see if I can find a few videos to help.

What's basically going on here is that you're forcefully retracting your elbows backwards and almost behind your back, almost like you're doing a bent-over-facepull.

I'll think about this before attempting to explain it. Will get back to you.

EDIT:

Watch this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkb_YA8U4r0

This is Steve Troutman, he's an MFPer on occasion too =)

Notice elbow placement in this video and watch the pathing of the DB's as you'll notice they go up and slightly inwards.. Watch as he rows you'll see the DB's are pulled inwards towards his lower chest. In your rows, you are pulling up and you are flaring your elbows out and pulling your elbows behind your back. Your elbows should stay close to your sides.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    SS's got it pretty spot on.

Two suggestions that might help:

Try to keep the dumbbells in line horizontally, with your elbow and wrist flare at the top the barbells spin a bit. Drop the weight a bit if you need to and focus on bringing the dumbbells up smoothly and evenly without any spin action.

At the top of the lift, flex your back, hard. Thinking about trying to draw your shoulder blades back to touch each other. This'll greatly slow down the movement and will likely necessitate a weight drop, but in the long run should help with muscle activation.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    just realized there is this thread. So...if you already commented on my other thread, feel free to disregard this ;)

Here is my squat video. I feel like I'm going for a low bar, although the bar can only go so low as my upper back isn't very meaty.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24mPjiKBnv8
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Watch this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkb_YA8U4r0

Notice elbow placement in this video and watch the pathing of the DB's as you'll notice they go up and slightly inwards.. Watch as he rows you'll see the DB's are pulled inwards towards his lower chest. In your rows, you are pulling up and you are flaring your elbows out and pulling your elbows behind your back. Your elbows should stay close to your sides.

Try to keep the dumbbells in line horizontally, with your elbow and wrist flare at the top the barbells spin a bit. Drop the weight a bit if you need to and focus on bringing the dumbbells up smoothly and evenly without any spin action.

At the top of the lift, flex your back, hard. Thinking about trying to draw your shoulder blades back to touch each other. This'll greatly slow down the movement and will likely necessitate a weight drop, but in the long run should help with muscle activation.

Thanks to you both! The video was helpful - I can see the points you're both trying to make. I think I was trying TOO much to "squeeze my shoulder blade together" at the top, bringing everything in, including my elbows.

I'll try again tomorrow, focusing on the position of the dumbbells, drawing them to my lower chest instead of upper chest/armpits (which was basically what I was aiming for before) and keeping my elbows at my sides. I'll see how that feels and maybe post a followup vid in a few weeks to see if things look better.

Appreciate the help!
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Hey Sara and SideSteel (and any others),

I am looking for some feedback on my DL. I am constantly dealing with SI Joint issues and I know that its something to do with my DL or my Squat (which I will post video of next squat day). Sorry that you can see my feet, but there just wasn't anywhere good to place the camera to catch the knees, hips, back, etc. I place them shoulder width or just a smidgen wider, toes pointed maybe 5-10 degrees out. I like to place the bar about an inch from my shins, while standing straight (midfoot).

This is from a 5 sets of 6 session. I am using about 70% of ORM for my work weight. The video is from set 3, I ran out of room on the SD Card to get the whole session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxfRMG0e-1g&feature=youtu.be

Thanks!
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Hey! I need some feedback on my squat form. It doesn't feel right when I'm doing it, but I may just be over thinking it... I started Stronglifts about 2 weeks ago and started over with my squats tonight cause I wasn't going down far enough. Thanks in advance!

http://youtu.be/7PfeAXMbaj4
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Hey! I need some feedback on my squat form. It doesn't feel right when I'm doing it, but I may just be over thinking it... I started Stronglifts about 2 weeks ago and started over with my squats tonight cause I wasn't going down far enough. Thanks in advance!

http://youtu.be/7PfeAXMbaj4

There's nothing glaringly wrong with your form. You're a little slow at lockout, which hints at stronger quads than your glutes (and looking at your legs that seems right). In and of itself that's not like ruining your squat or anything, but it can make heavier weights tougher down the road.

If you care, you might want to try doing some exercises to help with that. I personally like reverse lunges, stiff leg deadlifts, and good mornings. You could also try dropping the weight when you're done with your 5x5 and banging out a few sets where you focus on explosiveness.

@A_vettestingray, I tried to check this video on my ipad but am getting an error that the content isn't supported on my mobile device (youtube is blocked at work), I will check later unless you can repost it or whatever.