Form critique thread, post your videos here.

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    okay, haven't hit the gym in a while, five weeks to be exact. was concentrating on triathlon training, but i just missed it so much.

hit the gym today for a combined 5/3/1 day of dead lifts and over head press, week 1, at 90%. This is my last set of overhead press, 5 x 140lbs, after a full work up of dead lifts.

http://s26.photobucket.com/user/engineman312/media/VID_20130522_071551_460_zps4b24d83c.mp4.html
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    okay, haven't hit the gym in a while, five weeks to be exact. was concentrating on triathlon training, but i just missed it so much.

hit the gym today for a combined 5/3/1 day of dead lifts and over head press, week 1, at 90%. This is my last set of overhead press, 5 x 140lbs, after a full work up of dead lifts.

http://s26.photobucket.com/user/engineman312/media/VID_20130522_071551_460_zps4b24d83c.mp4.html

Why were you push pressing in the curl rack?

Props for cradling with the leg bounce when you bring the weight down, not enough people do that and they should.

Also the main suggestion I have is that you aren't really getting under the bar after it clears your head. You should be moving under the bar as soon as possible to increase your leverage advantage, and that applies to both push pressing and strict pressing.

Other than that it looked fine.
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Form critique appreciated for my deadlift and squat please.

You aren't locking out your deadlift, and your squats are a touch high. You seem to have some anterior pelvic tilt going on, in your general posture. I've addressed that in myself by working on hamstring mobility, and strengthening my abs.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

You aren't locking out your deadlift, and your squats are a touch high. You seem to have some anterior pelvic tilt going on, in your general posture. I've addressed that in myself by working on hamstring mobility, and strengthening my abs.

Locking out as in pushing my hips forward more?
  • n3ver3nder
    Options

Generally speaking, overhead press refers to a strict press, with no leg drive, rather than the push press. If you were intending to do push press (which you probably are) fair enough.
    If not, ditch the leg drive, get the bar over your wrist, not back in the hand, and bring your grip in a little.
  • n3ver3nder
    Options

Exactly. Engage the glutes.
  • whierd
    Options

Exactly. Engage the glutes.

And by anterior pelvic tilt do you mean my general posture, or during one of the lifts?

I do normally go lower on my squats, past parallel, but was trying to "feel out" parallel this time. Thank you.
  • n3ver3nder
    Options
    General posture, it's noticeable when you're walking up to the bar. I've had a lot less back pain since I've sorted mine out. Well I say pain, I used to get 'back pump' after squats, that took quite some time to go away and would affect my OHP sets. So if you're not getting back pain now, there's potential.
    However the important thing is that when engaging in loaded movement, we look at the body as a whole system. Anterior Pelvic Tilt represents a weak link in the whole system, and means other parts of the system may have to take the load.

If you're interested, Kelley Starretts 'Becoming a Supple Leopard' is a great read around issues like this.
  • whierd
    Options
    Yeah, my posture has been an issue forever and my hamstrings are underdeveloped. I do get some lower back pain after squatting and deadlifting, like a tightness, but it has lessened considerably in the past three months of training. And I don't do any ab specific exercises, so I will start adding in some exercises.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

What n3ver3nder said.

Try doing some rack pulls from just below the knee, high rep good mornings, and reverse lunges.

Also what kind of shoes are you wearing?

Finally, how wide is your stance on the squats and tugs? A rear view might help too but I suspect you're a bit narrow on squats and a bit wide on your tugs (hard to tell for sure from the side though)
  • whierd
    Options

What n3ver3nder said.

Try doing some rack pulls from just below the knee, high rep good mornings, and reverse lunges.

Also what kind of shoes are you wearing?

Finally, how wide is your stance on the squats and tugs? A rear view might help too but I suspect you're a bit narrow on squats and a bit wide on your tugs (hard to tell for sure from the side though)

My shoes are just some random Sketchers that I wear to work.

My squat stance is at or slightly wider than shoulder width, and my deadlift stance is at or slightly narrower than shoulder.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    My shoes are just some random Sketchers that I wear to work.

My squat stance is at or slightly wider than shoulder width, and my deadlift stance is at or slightly narrower than shoulder.

At least for deadlift, but probably for squat too, try taking them off.

Do your knees cave at all on squat?

For deadlift they should NOT be at shoulderwidth. Your arms should be at shoulder width and if your legs are there your arms will be angled out some and you'll have to lift the bar higher. For conventional pulls my legs are pretty darn close together.
  • whierd
    Options
    Hmm. Not sure how I feel about being barefoot. :tongue:

No, my knees feel fine on my squats.

Ahh, I knew I was doing something wrong on my deads. I will pull my legs closer together and narrow my grip.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

Ahh, I knew I was doing something wrong on my deads. I will pull my legs closer together and narrow my grip.

You're pulling 405 bro, and you're worried about getting your footsies a little dirty? =P

The problem with normal shoes for lifting is cushioning, it can cause stability issues which can impact form. Additionally on deadlift it makes you a little bit taller, which makes the technique harder since you have to pull the bar a greater distance.
  • whierd
    Options

You're pulling 405 bro, and you're worried about getting your footsies a little dirty? =P

The problem with normal shoes for lifting is cushioning, it can cause stability issues which can impact form. Additionally on deadlift it makes you a little bit taller, which makes the technique harder since you have to pull the bar a greater distance.

Hahaha!!! Touche!!

I would actually love to hear recommendations for a good pair of gym shoes. The shoes I currently wear are ratty, falling apart, and practically collapsing at the sides. Definitely not the best footwear. As for the distance thing, yeah, I do feel like it would be nicer if the bar was a bit higher off the ground. Not much, just a few inches, but still.

I have also noticed that on my deadlifts I tend to drive with the ball of my foot rather than the hell. Should I be leaning back a bit more on the pull? I only recently corrected an issue where I was leaving the bar too far away from my body while going up as opposed to keeping it against my shins.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Hahaha!!! Touche!!

I would actually love to hear recommendations for a good pair of gym shoes.

Converse All Stars.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Hahaha!!! Touche!!

Converse All Stars.

Yeppers

Although I have been known to pull barefoot - do you want me showing you up? :tongue:
  • whierd
    Options

Hahaha!!! Touche!!

Converse All Stars.

Yeppers

Although I have been known to pull barefoot - do you want me showing you up? :tongue:

:laugh:

Actually, I have used you as motivation during a lift more than once. :tongue:

"Sara could lift this. Stop being a ***** Tim!"
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Hahaha!!! Touche!!

I would actually love to hear recommendations for a good pair of gym shoes. The shoes I currently wear are ratty, falling apart, and practically collapsing at the sides. Definitely not the best footwear. As for the distance thing, yeah, I do feel like it would be nicer if the bar was a bit higher off the ground. Not much, just a few inches, but still.

I have also noticed that on my deadlifts I tend to drive with the ball of my foot rather than the hell. Should I be leaning back a bit more on the pull? I only recently corrected an issue where I was leaving the bar too far away from my body while going up as opposed to keeping it against my shins.

I use vibrams.

Inzer has some good squat shoes.

You could look into deadlifting socks from EFS.

Chucks are cheap and work well too.

It kind of depends on what you want and your budget.