Form critique thread, post your videos here.

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Squat form check: http://youtu.be/Awt7IZ2YPDE

It looks like me knees go slightly forward of my toes. Is this still okay or should I keep them back further? It's not clear from the angle, but I have my feet slightly wider than should width apart. Anything else I should change?

Bar position and overall body shape is going to determine where your knees end up really. Your form looks pretty good to me, I didn't see anything glaring.

Try to take a video from the back and repost please.
    http://youtu.be/IhY7VHIkl50

This was my last set, where I am the most tired and my form is more likely to break, and I this is a new higher weight for me. The thing I see myself, and why I deloaded the first time, was I noticed my legs come up before my back.

You're not spreading the floor as much as you should be, particularly on your left side.

I'd suggest doing some single leg work like lunges, bulgarians, 1 legged leg press, or pistol squats.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Squat form check: http://youtu.be/Awt7IZ2YPDE

It looks like me knees go slightly forward of my toes. Is this still okay or should I keep them back further? It's not clear from the angle, but I have my feet slightly wider than should width apart. Anything else I should change?

Bar position and overall body shape is going to determine where your knees end up really. Your form looks pretty good to me, I didn't see anything glaring.

Try to take a video from the back and repost please.
    http://youtu.be/IhY7VHIkl50

This was my last set, where I am the most tired and my form is more likely to break, and I this is a new higher weight for me. The thing I see myself, and why I deloaded the first time, was I noticed my legs come up before my back.

You're not spreading the floor as much as you should be, particularly on your left side.

I'd suggest doing some single leg work like lunges, bulgarians, 1 legged leg press, or pistol squats.
    As accessories lifts, to help even out both sides?
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    As accessories lifts, to help even out both sides?

Yes, single limb movements, for both arms and legs, are a very solid addition to any lifting program.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'm new to SLDL and wanted to see if I'm in the right ballpark. (I've gone all the way down and the last part of it is just me bending my back to get there, which didn't seem like a wise idea, so in this video I'm just going down to where my back doesn't need to bend.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJw2_Lm9eVw&feature=youtu.be
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    I'm new to SLDL and wanted to see if I'm in the right ballpark. (I've gone all the way down and the last part of it is just me bending my back to get there, which didn't seem like a wise idea, so in this video I'm just going down to where my back doesn't need to bend.)

I go all the way back down each time. Try it with your knees a bit more bent than they are. Stiffies don't need to be locked out, you're just taking out the quad component of the deadlift.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

I go all the way back down each time. Try it with your knees a bit more bent than they are. Stiffies don't need to be locked out, you're just taking out the quad component of the deadlift.
    Ok will try that. Thanks. :)
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I could really use some feedback on my form for all of the Stronglifts 5x5 lifts I'm doing. I started the program a few weeks ago (had been working with dumbells and bodyweight prior to it), and I got a bit ahead of myself; I was excited by increasing the weight and neglected to check my form until recently. I could see I had issues, so I did a lot of reading up/watching videos on form and have deloaded and tried to make improvements. I feel like to an extent I kind of overanalyzed it though, to the point where now I'm not too sure about anything. :P

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated!

Videos are here:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mrsflynn10?feature=watch

I clipped a few sets for each lift.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I could really use some feedback on my form for all of the Stronglifts 5x5 lifts I'm doing. I started the program a few weeks ago (had been working with dumbells and bodyweight prior to it), and I got a bit ahead of myself; I was excited by increasing the weight and neglected to check my form until recently. I could see I had issues, so I did a lot of reading up/watching videos on form and have deloaded and tried to make improvements. I feel like to an extent I kind of overanalyzed it though, to the point where now I'm not too sure about anything. :P

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated!

Videos are here:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mrsflynn10?feature=watch

I clipped a few sets for each lift.

Squat set 3 looks the best, oddly enough. I see what you are saying about turning the squats into a good morning. Your hips come up first and it seems like your upper body is then falling forward a bit. Is the weight coming off your heels? Are you up on your toes a bit? Seems like you might need to sit back into the squat a little bit more, weight on your heels and/or have your torso remain a little more vertical the entire time. Your knees are falling inwards towards each other a bit on sets 1 and 2 (improved on 3 though) as well. Honestly, it just looks like it's really fricken heavy and that's why your form is breaking down. Or maybe vice-versa. Maybe ensure that your breathing is good and that your core isn't collapsing? Deep breath into your belly before each rep, hold it throughout the rep and release it only on the way up or at the top. Might help you from collapsing forward a bit. Combination of these factors might help you squat better, but clearly you are pushing the limits of your ability. Looks like you are working really hard, which is good!

Rows, yes, as you mentioned you've got to get the bar up higher if you're gonna do pendlay rows like that. Even some hard rubber mats, or wooden platforms or something. It's similar to doing deadlifts without a proper starting height, you're leaning over too much and it's ruining your form. You want your back as close to flat and parallel with the ground as you can. Furthermore, you gotta touch the bar to your ribs. Deload if you have to, IMO.

Your OHP is pretty good. The angle is bad so it's hard to tell on these things, but a couple things to note. Hands should be around shoulder-width or just outside of them. Forearms should be basically vertical under the bar, which means your elbows will be directly under the bar at the starting position. Make sure you're resetting to the original starting position, the bar should start right around your collarbones. And the bar should move in basically a straight line up and down. Push the bar straight up, it will come really close to your face, you'll get used to this. Same thing on the way down. Due to the angle it's hard to tell, but looks like you're pushing the bar away from you on the way up at least, which makes it harder. You'll smack yourself in the chin a few times but you'll get the distance down eventually. When I do OHP I can literally feel the bar nick my goatee sometimes. It's not gonna kill you if you hit your chin, you look plenty tough :)

Deadlifts. Pretty good. I think you have the same problem as rows as far as starting height. It looks like you have to lean way over to get the bar off the ground, leading to a rounded back. I think if you start the bar at the correct height you will be better. Remember to keep shoulders back and chest up. Stick out your chest like you're trying to show it off. That will help you keep your shoulders back and your back flat. Try to imagine that you're trying to show someone the logo on your shirt as you start. But I think with the bar so low it's hard to do that. Again, plates or wooden platforms or whatever to start with until you can get the big full-height 45s on there will help. At least, it looks like those aren't 45s. Looks like your grip is bothering you too. Try some chalk, it will keep your hands dry and your grip from slipping.

Your bench. Decent. Similar to the deadlift, puff out your chest like you're showing it off, it will help keep your shoulders back. Try to land the bar lower down on your chest, it's hard to tell but it looks like it's landing pretty high. It should land pretty low on your chest, bottom of your sternum basically. Check your grip width as well, it looks pretty narrow. I put my pinkies on the first ring on the olympic bar. You're smaller than me obviously so maybe go a little narrower than that. This is more trial-and-error than anything, I think. Some people prefer a super wide grip and some don't. But yours looks pretty narrow at a glance.

I'm not the form police but hopefully I've provided some things to think about and improve upon.
  • shellfly
    Options
    Thanks so much for taking the time to review my videos, DopeItUp!

For the squats, I'm really trying to ensure that I'm on my heels throughout by curling up my toes (a pointer from the Starting Strength wiki). I'm not sure what else I can do to enforce it but will try to remember to double-check it next time. As for the core and breathing, I'm working on that. When I first started SL, I didn't spare a thought for breathing nor really for tightening much, and so I've had to struggle a bit with the newness of it (I thought I could go from bodyweight and dumbbell squats, which I did pretty easily, to barbell squats with the same sort of "just do them" mentality). I'm definitely feeling the weight, although it's at 85 right now, and I was up to 95 before. That wasn't with proper form though.

With respect to rows and deadlifts, I will definitely prop up the bar next time. I am trying to keep shoulders back and chest up in the deadlift, but it sometimes seems like once I've picked up the weight, I forget a bit (like the weight itself takes my concentration) - will keep working on it.

For the OHP, I'm trying to go straight up, but yes, I probably am running a little gun shy of smacking myself in the face (did it once before) - will have to just get past that fear.

Believe it or not, on my bench, I am puffing out my chest. The problem I seem to have is that beyond the first rep, I feel like I'm getting pushed flat by the weight regardless of how much I'm trying to keep the shoulders pinched together and chest up. Just muscle weakness, I assume. Should I just stay at the same weight until I can really do this on every set? As far as where the bar lands, my understanding was that it should be right at the nips... Yeah, I realized once I got started that I'd forgotten where exactly my grip ought to be. :P

You've definitely given me a lot of feedback and food for thought - I greatly appreciate it!
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Going to respond lift by lift. Dope knows what's up and I have yet to see him give advice that was faulty. So, most likely, all of my comments are going to be 'what he said' and then maybe add a couple other suggestions.

Squats.
    The 'good morning' part has to do with intensity, bar placement on your back, and foot position. What kind of shoes are you wearing when you squat? Getting squat shoes or something stable with a bit of a heel may help keeping your feet rooted so you can firm up your core.

Also, it does in part look like a muscle imbalance (I have the same thing). You may want to do some good mornings or SLDLs (or both) to build up that part of your body.

You're pause squatting. Pause squatting is fantastic. Taking the stretch reflex out of the lift coming out of the hole will make you stronger, but it also limits how much you can lift. You just need to break parallel, not hang out in the hole.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Rows...take two big plates and stack them on the ground on each side, then rest the bar on them.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Press
    I actually disagree with Dope here. I think you should be more in the rack position for press

rack-position.jpg

You don't have to be as flexible at the wrists, but you should be pushing to get your elbows out in front of you as much as possible. I find that keeps your body in the proper position.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Deadlift
    stack plates as was mentioned.

Also part of the deadlift is driving the hips forward. You're not trying to pull the weight up so much as you're trying to drive your hips forward which results in the bar coming up. This activates much larger (stronger) muscle groups. Think of it like trying to hump the bar. You need to start driving your hips forward right around when the bar passes your knees. Before that it's more of a quad movement and you're trying to push the ground away from you.

Also, yes, chalk. Get it and profit.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Bench
    Good on you for having arch. Most people don't. You don't have much leg drive but I doubt you can fix that because of the height of the bench.

Put a plate or two down where your feet go and see if you can press off of that. That should help drive your back into the bench which can go a long way to keeping you tight. It also helps with pressing power.

For the tightness in your chest, you just need to do more back work I think. There's a base level of back strength/musculature you need. It's just something to work at. I don't think you should drop weight for it though.

When you're close to failure, your bar path becomes uneven. That's basically impossible to stop at max exertion, but you might want to consider some single limb work (i.e. dumbbells) to help balance out the musculature. It's good for legs too (reverse lunges, bulgarian split squats, etc)
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've been working on fixing my bent-over dumbbell rows. I received advice about two months ago and have tried to implement it. My original video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K1f-ZfPBEM

I uploaded a new video today, and would appreciate any feedback. This lift is still the bane of my existence. I've barely made any progress since February. It is very frustrating.

This video also contains a clip of my SLDL form, which I would also like feedback on. Looking at it, I seem to be driving the pull from my hips, if that makes sense. I have no idea if I'm reading that correctly, and whether it's something I should or shouldn't be doing...

New video for critique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Bq_eHBEGc

Thanks folks! :flowerforyou:
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    New video for critique:

New video is set to private.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    New video for critique:

New video is set to private.

Oh nards. Thanks! Fixed!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I've been working on fixing my bent-over dumbbell rows. I received advice about two months ago and have tried to implement it. My original video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K1f-ZfPBEM

I uploaded a new video today, and would appreciate any feedback. This lift is still the bane of my existence. I've barely made any progress since February. It is very frustrating.

This video also contains a clip of my SLDL form, which I would also like feedback on. Looking at it, I seem to be driving the pull from my hips, if that makes sense. I have no idea if I'm reading that correctly, and whether it's something I should or shouldn't be doing...

New video for critique:

Hmph, most times you want your torso to be as close to parallel to the ground as you can get it for bent over rows. I do see a lot of people use them at more of a 45 degree angle though like you. Seems to target the upper back and shoulders more than the lats, at that point. Guess it all depends on your preference and your goals.

If you're having trouble getting your torso parallel (assuming you want to) do one arm at a time instead of both. Get a bench, put one knee on it as well as one hand and use that to support yourself in a horizontal stance. Then row with the free arm for requisite reps, then switch spots and do the other arm.

Good example of what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR8onsa5jFQ
  • shellfly
    Options
    Arrogance, thank you for your responses.

Regarding my squat, I'm trying to keep the bar in a low bar position - it feels like I've got it in the shelf, but my husband has said it looks a little high to him. What do you think? I am wearing Chuck Taylors that I got recently. Before that, I tried going barefoot, and I actually liked it, but it seems to be frowned upon (before that, I was wearing crossfit shoes that were undoubtedly not good for lifting). I will look into the good mornings and stiff legged deadlifts. Yes, I know in SL, Medhi recommends using the bounce, but Rippetoe is against it and claims it can cause injury. I'd rather err on the side of caution. What's interesting to me though is that everyone seems to be okay with bouncing on the OHP. I never tried it prior to the last session, and it kind of feels like cheating to me!

Regarding the OHP, I am trying to keep my elbows in front, and will try to focus on that even more next time, but the grip in the image you posted looks very odd to me compared to the instructions for the press from Starting Strength, where you're supposed to get the bar as much in the heel of your hands as you can, and fingers are supposed to be wrapped around it. I don't get that guy's grip - looks like he's supporting a ton on the tips of his fingers!

Re: deadlift and hips, yeah, I realized about halfway through that I was forgetting to focus on trying to drive them forward. I was more focused on thinking of the lift as a push and thus really concentrating on that in the beginning of the lift, and it seemed like I was at the top before I remembered my hips. More practice! I would like to get chalk, but my husband thinks it will make too much of a mess. With these weights being lower than they were, nothing is actually slipping from my grip, but when I increase again, yes, I think I'll need it, mess or no.

Re: my bench press - does the height of the bench seem to high for me or too low? I'm able to have my feet on the ground quite solidly, so I've felt like it's been more of an issue of not knowing how to push with my legs at the same time as the lift - kind of a combination of forgetting and just uncertainty as to when & how. The thing about the single limb work is that prior to starting SL, I was doing a good bit with dumbbells, and it never did seem to fix the inconsistency in strength between my right and left sides. Should I just get really zealous about it, i.e. grabbing that dumbell for my left arm whenever I've got a spare moment?

Thanks again!
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Arrogance, thank you for your responses.

Regarding my squat, I'm trying to keep the bar in a low bar position - it feels like I've got it in the shelf, but my husband has said it looks a little high to him. What do you think? I am wearing Chuck Taylors that I got recently. Before that, I tried going barefoot, and I actually liked it, but it seems to be frowned upon (before that, I was wearing crossfit shoes that were undoubtedly not good for lifting). I will look into the good mornings and stiff legged deadlifts. Yes, I know in SL, Medhi recommends using the bounce, but Rippetoe is against it and claims it can cause injury. I'd rather err on the side of caution. What's interesting to me though is that everyone seems to be okay with bouncing on the OHP. I never tried it prior to the last session, and it kind of feels like cheating to me!

Regarding the OHP, I am trying to keep my elbows in front, and will try to focus on that even more next time, but the grip in the image you posted looks very odd to me compared to the instructions for the press from Starting Strength, where you're supposed to get the bar as much in the heel of your hands as you can, and fingers are supposed to be wrapped around it. I don't get that guy's grip - looks like he's supporting a ton on the tips of his fingers!

Re: deadlift and hips, yeah, I realized about halfway through that I was forgetting to focus on trying to drive them forward. I was more focused on thinking of the lift as a push and thus really concentrating on that in the beginning of the lift, and it seemed like I was at the top before I remembered my hips. More practice! I would like to get chalk, but my husband thinks it will make too much of a mess. With these weights being lower than they were, nothing is actually slipping from my grip, but when I increase again, yes, I think I'll need it, mess or no.

Re: my bench press - does the height of the bench seem to high for me or too low? I'm able to have my feet on the ground quite solidly, so I've felt like it's been more of an issue of not knowing how to push with my legs at the same time as the lift - kind of a combination of forgetting and just uncertainty as to when & how. The thing about the single limb work is that prior to starting SL, I was doing a good bit with dumbbells, and it never did seem to fix the inconsistency in strength between my right and left sides. Should I just get really zealous about it, i.e. grabbing that dumbell for my left arm whenever I've got a spare moment?

Thanks again!

Hard to tell with bar placement? Is it comfortable? If so you're probably alright. It should be right on top of your rear delts, but depending on musculature and such it might not be exactly there. Squatting can be dangerous, I don't think utilizing the stretch reflex makes it moreso. That's my 2 cents, obviously do what you wish. You won't get weaker pause squatting.

Using the stretch reflex on OHP is tricky. I worry about compression because it's a decent sized low coming down. I generally try to cradle the weight (almost like a push press but the bounce is to catch the bar on the descent rather than get it going, I then reset and press from a static position).

So I mentioned you don't need to do that with your wrists, that's for cleaning (for the record he's not holding it with his fingers, he's holding it with his whole body, his fingers are just there to help keep the weight in place, kind of like your arms in the squat, you're not holding the bar up with them). I use that picture because that rack position does a good job of showing where your elbows should be and how they should point. You might not get them that far out, but that's ok, it's what you should be trying for though (getting perfect positioning is much more important for the clean and jerk, OHP is a bit more of a grip it and rip it type movement)

Bench, too high. It's not just about planting firmly. In an ideal scenario, your feet would be firmly planted on the ground in line with your chest. Obviously few people if any have the flexibility to do that, but it's what you're going for. The higher up on the bar your legs are, the more when you'll be able to incorporate leg drive, which will help keep you tight and generate more pressing power.

For single limb work, definitely do dumbbell stuff (and lunges/rear lunges/Bulgarians/Pistols or some such for legs). Just either do them both at the same time or use the weaker side first so you're going off of that limb for sets and reps.