Form critique thread, post your videos here.

Options

Replies

• smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've got another for ya'll to check out. This time it's the dead lift. I don't feel right with this lift. Pointers are in order i'm sure lol. Thanks guys!

http://youtu.be/SKkAbeTv-lg
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything obnoxiously wrong with your deads, Smitty. Try to keep that back as flat/neutral as you can. Try to keep that torso as tight as possible throughout the lift. When you first start the lift with your legs, your torso falls forward a little - it almost looks like you weren't ready for the weight and it surprised you. You catch yourself fast and finish the rep fine so it's not really a lack of strength, you're just not super tight at the beginning of the movement. You're being reactive to the load. Try being proactive. Tense everything prior to pushing with your legs. Abs, lower back, shoulders, etc. Use your lats to pull the slack out of the bar (almost as if you're pulling yourself down towards the bar, keeping everything in tension). Your deads really don't look too bad but as the weight gets heavier it's going to be really important to stay tight. You should already be straining before the bar even starts to move.

Some people don't suggest looking up, they want you looking down at about a 45 degree angle at the start (looking at the floor maybe 10ft in front of you). I look up, myself, it helps to cue me to keep my chest up and my back flat. The body generally follows the head. I tend to hunch over if I look down at all. Same with squats. More of a personal preference, I think. Just something to think about or possibly try.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I second that bit about being tight. Something about the lift looks tired. More than anything else though, I would suggest that you stick your butt out, and make sure you're not rounding your upper back. Keep your chest out front, and look wherever you like so long as your chest is up.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I've got another for ya'll to check out. This time it's the dead lift. I don't feel right with this lift. Pointers are in order i'm sure lol. Thanks guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bqVIWN_ogY

This guy does it a little better IMHO.

I noticed that your butt moves up before the bar starts moving. If you continue that trend, you might end up using less legs and more lower back to lift the weight. In the video above, you can see he's on his heels (you can see his toes wiggling), you can see he's lifting the bar up his shins and you can see his butt and bar moving at the same time.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    DopeItUp - I do have hunch back tendencies when not lifting, so the back straight and neutral is a new concept lol. Indeed, I am not tight before lifting. I am gassed after squats and then (usually failing) OHP, so to fconcep's point yes the lift is tired because I am spent and almost dread doing DL because of it. JeffseekingV - I noticed that too on playback. The my previous DL session I had made it a point to move as one in regards to the bar and legs, as well as drive through the floor with my heels.

This lift other than OHP seems to give me the most trouble. I'm not confident and like I said very tired when it comes time for it.

If ya'll can give me 3 points to think about when doing this lift, what would they be?

Thanks for all the help!
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Bump for future reference
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    DopeItUp - I do have hunch back tendencies when not lifting, so the back straight and neutral is a new concept lol. Indeed, I am not tight before lifting. I am gassed after squats and then (usually failing) OHP, so to fconcep's point yes the lift is tired because I am spent and almost dread doing DL because of it. JeffseekingV - I noticed that too on playback. The my previous DL session I had made it a point to move as one in regards to the bar and legs, as well as drive through the floor with my heels.

This lift other than OHP seems to give me the most trouble. I'm not confident and like I said very tired when it comes time for it.

If ya'll can give me 3 points to think about when doing this lift, what would they be?

Thanks for all the help!

I know you say you kinda dread DL but honestly, your form is better than at least 80% of the people I see in the gym. So don't kick yourself too hard. Mine probably isn't that good lately either, need to re-video myself as I've been really pushing the weights and I bet my back looks like a wet noodle when I lift. DL is a pretty tough lift to get just right - people naturally want to lift with a rounded back (watch anyone pick up a box and tell me how their "form" looks). Whereas something like a squat is easy, it's sitting down and standing up basically. Much easier translation.

3 things to think about? How about...

Chest up
    Back flat
    Stay tight
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    DopeItUp - Thanks so much. I guess I'm being hard on myself just thinking about how it must have looked at work weight, that day was 205lbs but didn't have room on the iPod for a video lol. I will try to get more psyched up next time and think about those three tips!
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    For a beginner like me who has no idea what the different moves are called, this video was awesome!!! And thanks for labeling everything!
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ok, here's mine. For reference, this is my second week of the All Pro beginner lifting routine that Sauruk2sf suggested I try (I have done nothing but bodyweight training for years, and only that for the past 6 months or so). Also, I am doing this at home and currently only own dumbbells so that's what I'm working with. I was just going to record a couple of the lifts but I figured if I'm doing something stupid with the "easy" ones like curls or presses I should know now, so everything's here except for the calf raises and triceps dips.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlgzTGsHK6o

Ok--I'm learning --sorry my last comment didn't make a reference to which video I loved.

ETA: I'm not as grumpy as I look in the videos, I'm actually really enjoying myself :P
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Squat form check please. I began stronglifts 5x5 8 weeks ago. Attempting low bar style. My experience with squatting is very limited. The last time I was required to squat was in H.S. 10 years ago and I simply did just enough to get by without getting fussed at by the coaches. Thanks for the help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-kr_b89Qyw&feature=youtu.be

Take a video from the back.

Watch for vertical bar path, you're wobbly out of the hole.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

I think it's fine for now. Reassess as it gets heavier.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Arroganceinstep - Thanks for the feed back. I have watched the squat video several times now and have noticed the bar path is wobbly at the bottom. I will try to remain more tight throughout and remember to stay on my heels to maintain the bar path.

On the dead lift, again I will be trying to stay more tight. I'm also trying to get more sleep to try and fight off the exhaustion during my lifting sessions.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Arroganceinstep - Thanks for the feed back. I have watched the squat video several times now and have noticed the bar path is wobbly at the bottom. I will try to remain more tight throughout and remember to stay on my heels to maintain the bar path.

On the dead lift, again I will be trying to stay more tight. I'm also trying to get more sleep to try and fight off the exhaustion during my lifting sessions.

You will likely get to a point where you can't squat and pull on the same day. This is normal. Stick with what you're doing as long as you can though, especially if you like the format.
  • DopeItUp
    Options

You will likely get to a point where you can't squat and pull on the same day. This is normal. Stick with what you're doing as long as you can though, especially if you like the format.

Aye, I ended up getting off of Stronglifts for that very reason. It's a good program but it doesn't last forever. Went to Madcow which is very similar but has only light squats on deadlift day and that works much better. The squats are more like an assistance exercise on that day. Or you can graduate to 5/3/1 where each day is dedicated to one lift.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options

Aye, I ended up getting off of Stronglifts for that very reason. It's a good program but it doesn't last forever. Went to Madcow which is very similar but has only light squats on deadlift day and that works much better. The squats are more like an assistance exercise on that day. Or you can graduate to 5/3/1 where each day is dedicated to one lift.

I will keep this in mind. Today was crap, failing squats for the first time, on the first set at that (and every set there after). Then only squeaking out one DL at work weight. lol. However I did power through my OHP... at my first deload weight lol.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

I will keep this in mind. Today was crap, failing squats for the first time, on the first set at that (and every set there after). Then only squeaking out one DL at work weight. lol. However I did power through my OHP... at my first deload weight lol.

It's definitely something to think about, but I hesitated to even mention that point because I can't stress enough how much consistency trumps all when it comes to lifting.

It's possible you're going through a rough patch with weights, that'll happen no matter what program you're on. Don't be too quick to jump ship on what you're doing. If after a month or so you're still having trouble, THEN consider changing things up.

I'm not saying you're like this, but I've seen too many situations where lifters will jump from program to program to program trying to find the perfect routine...and before they know it a few years have passed and they haven't made much progress at all.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    AIS - I totally understand what you're saying. Today was the first of approx 27 sessions that was mostly crap. All others have been a great success. I'm going to ride this out and focus on recovery and sleep and see what happens in the next few weeks.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    here's my first ever form check video. i'm a wimpy squatter though i've been trying for a year and a half. i can do 60lbs but at 65 or more i end up with a stiff and sore back for days.

please help, what am i doing wrong?

also, sorry for the awkward angle. i've got the phone wedged between two 45 lb plates on the leg press next to the cage.

http://youtu.be/ypJ29IGp0v0
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    here's my first ever form check video. i'm a wimpy squatter though i've been trying for a year and a half. i can do 60lbs but at 65 or more i end up with a stiff and sore back for days.

please help, what am i doing wrong?

also, sorry for the awkward angle. i've got the phone wedged between two 45 lb plates on the leg press next to the cage.

http://youtu.be/ypJ29IGp0v0

Just a heads up, I posted my initial thoughts on your wall.