Running Bummer Stickers

Options

Replies

• PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the "0.0", almost bought one at the Hartford Marathon expo. "DNF" is pretty good too. Carson, get a "named.conf" and I'll be impressed.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I actually have a 10K sticker that won't stick to my back window. It keeps falling off. Maybe it's trying to tell me something?

I do plan on getting my 13.1 sticker after I finish in a couple of weeks. Not sure what the big deal is as far what race accomplishment you want to advertise on the back of your car or if you walked a couple of miles of it or whatever. If you cross both start and finish lines on your own 2 feet, then be proud of it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I thought this was about sad stickers, "bummer" stickers. Maybe a "DNF" or "26.1" or a silhouette of a treadmill?
    :laugh:

I think it entirely depends on the individual. If someone was 400 pounds and lost 200 and ran a 5k then I think that would be super worthy of celebrating and bragging about. Hell I considered it a huge achievement to run a 5k when I had never run before. I waited until I did a 13.1 before I got the sticker because to me that was something extremely monumental. (Even though now that's just called "Sunday". :laugh: It was a BFD the first I did it) So it all depends.

Yeah, that's what I think too. Accomplishments are accomplishments, and like speed, they're all relative.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Bummer? ????

People should feel free to be proud of their accomplishments. Everyone has a story.

Personally, I've never gotta a sticker, but that's just me.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    To me, it's about where you come from.If you go from overweight and sedentary to completing a 5k, that is an accomplishment. So no, I don't lol when I see 5k stickers, that sounds like elitism to me. No, I applaud the effort made and encourage more. To directly answer your question OP, yes, even if I run/walk a given distance, I completed it. I'll take the sticker.

I agree.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have a friend with a 5K bumper sticker! Also, his 5K PR is something around 16:15? He wins most of the 5Ks he runs.

He's also run a bunch of 100 milers as well - I don't think he's won any of those, but I know he's won a handful of 50ks and a couple of small marathons.

But..... OP, encourage your friend to sign up for a hard 50 miler, and then egg her on that she needs to run the whole thing. HAHAHAHAHA! Oh, HAHAHAHA! I don't think I've "run all of" any of my trail races, including the short ones! If the terrain is steep enough, it's faster to powerhike.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    OMG! Nobody told me we had bumper sticker police!
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I have a friend with a 5K bumper sticker! Also, his 5K PR is something around 16:15? He wins most of the 5Ks he runs.

He's also run a bunch of 100 milers as well - I don't think he's won any of those, but I know he's won a handful of 50ks and a couple of small marathons.

But..... OP, encourage your friend to sign up for a hard 50 miler, and then egg her on that she needs to run the whole thing. HAHAHAHAHA! Oh, HAHAHAHA! I don't think I've "run all of" any of my trail races, including the short ones! If the terrain is steep enough, it's faster to powerhike.

And here was I thinking that I was a sissy in planning to walk some of the 24 hour race I signed up for.... The mileage I do, whether walk, run, crawl or roll... I'll proudly count them as miles!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm not good enough and I should peel my 5K sticker off my car. and my fastest is 32 min. =(
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You know that Galloway has coached people to run/walk to Boston qualifying times? Enough said.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I actually have a 10K sticker that won't stick to my back window. It keeps falling off. Maybe it's trying to tell me something?

I do plan on getting my 13.1 sticker after I finish in a couple of weeks. Not sure what the big deal is as far what race accomplishment you want to advertise on the back of your car or if you walked a couple of miles of it or whatever. If you cross both start and finish lines on your own 2 feet, then be proud of it.

Or one foot. Or wheelchair. It's a big umbrella.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I thought this was about sad stickers, "bummer" stickers. Maybe a "DNF" or "26.1" or a silhouette of a treadmill?

I. WANT. A. 26.1 STICKER!!!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You know that Galloway has coached people to run/walk to Boston qualifying times? Enough said.

Yeahbut...how fast could they have gone if they ran the whole way?

Don't answer. Tongue in cheek response. That's a debate for another thread. :D
  • likitisplit
    Options

They would have gone 2 minutes per mile faster for the first 20 miles and then they would have hobbled the last 10k because their hamstrings completely seized up.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

They would have gone 2 minutes per mile faster for the first 20 miles and then they would have hobbled the last 10k because their hamstrings completely seized up.

Or not. :wink:

There is no real way to prove that using the Galloway method will result in a faster time. You can't use those that ran a marathon and then they Gallowalked one because the training for the second one improved their fitness.

I won't poo poo Galloway. I think it's a great way to get more people involved. I just dispute his claim that a specific, well trained runner will run a faster marathon using his method than they would running the entire way. Too many variables that just can't be controlled.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have a 13.1 and 26.2 sticker on my car. I also have a sub 4 sticker from provensport.com for the 3 marathons I've run sub 4 hours. I had to prove I ran it in order for them to give it to me. I thought that was cool. I also have one that says Half Marathon Mom because the half is my favorite fun distance. Like Zakela, I would flaunt the 5k sticker if I were exceptionally good or fast at it. But I'm not, so I don't own it. I wouldn't snicker at it either because I know how incredibly hard that distance is for me. I don't warm up till at least 6 miles! My husband has ran 3 half marathons & a trail 30k. He just recently got himself a 13.1 sticker & I think it's something for him to brag about. He is a run/walk person with a half PR of 2:05. Pretty good in my opinion.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    So since I dropped out of the 50-mile at 50K do I qualify for a 50K sticker? Or should I go for DNF? They definitely exist!

http://www.cafepress.com/+dnf+bumper-stickers
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I plan on run/walking my first full this year because it's easier on my legs to take the walk breaks! In my first 1/2 I wanted to run the whole thing but ended up taking 2 walk breaks on some serious inclines, but you can be sure my 13.1 sticker still went on my car! In my second 1/2, I ran every step, but I only finished min faster than before! Since training for this marathon, I have been walking for 1 min and the beginning of every mile. On my 14 mile long run I got a pr in the 13.1 distance by 2 more mins run/walking! So it is definitely possible to be faster run/walking, but it is personal preference, and certainly doesn't make me any less of a "runner"!
  • likitisplit
    Options

Or not. :wink:

There is no real way to prove that using the Galloway method will result in a faster time. You can't use those that ran a marathon and then they Gallowalked one because the training for the second one improved their fitness.

I won't poo poo Galloway. I think it's a great way to get more people involved. I just dispute his claim that a specific, well trained runner will run a faster marathon using his method than they would running the entire way. Too many variables that just can't be controlled.

I'm not arguing that at all. I ran with a Galloway runner for the second part of my half marathon because I was scared of not being able to finish. My time for that race is really slow compared to the others I've done. However, I'm confident about the distance (with training) now.

You'd need a controlled study to say for sure.

However, if you tell me that somebody who BQs "isn't a runner" because they walked for 3 miles out of 26.2...I'm going to know that you aren't a runner. :)

ETA: I really shouldn't have answered that should I? :ohwell:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    So since I dropped out of the 50-mile at 50K do I qualify for a 50K sticker? Or should I go for DNF? They definitely exist!

http://www.cafepress.com/+dnf+bumper-stickers

There's a certain éclat about a DNF sticker.