1500 Calorie or Less Recommended Daily Caloric Intake

Options

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1.5. I could eat 2000 calories and lose weight, but only because of my high starting weight. I'd rather get used to my maintenance of 1400-1600 healthy calories a day and let my weight figure itself out. It's hard because my husband needs about 3k calories a day, and it's easy to lose perspective of just what a reasonable portion size is.

I'm so glad there's a place for us short women! So tired of hearing how 1000 calories is a "snack" and people with low calorie needs are treated as less than.

Exactly, people keep saying 800 calories per meal is normal. And all I can think of... is yeah sure it is. For one meal a day. = / If I ate three of 'there' meals I'd get so fat. haha!

I don't mind that they can do it, it's very nice for them, but I hate it when they're in-my-face about it, acting as if there's something wrong with me. Besides, I get bonus points for not having gotten overweight in the first place.

They're braggarts who aren't interested in helping other people.
  • mewilmes
    mewilmes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I know it doesn't make sense. But I'm actually gaining on the 1200 and I don't want to go below that number. I guess I could try another month at 1200. As I said, I'm perplexed.

I weigh everything and when I exercise I use my bike's calorie counter which is way lower than MFP's.
  • WeightJourney77
    WeightJourney77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I know it doesn't make sense. But I'm actually gaining on the 1200 and I don't want to go below that number. I guess I could try another month at 1200. As I said, I'm perplexed.

I weigh everything and when I exercise I use my bike's calorie counter which is way lower than MFP's.

Yeah it's confusing. Not sure which machine to trust O.o

I always pick the lower one honestly. But that's just me.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options

I would pick the lower one, but even better, I'd ignore it, while trying to work out hard as much as I could. I would focus on what I was eating, making sure that I was weighing and recording everything. I'd remember that calorie information itself is an estimate and can be underestimated.
  • WeightJourney77
    Options

I would pick the lower one, but even better, I'd ignore it, while trying to work out hard as much as I could. I would focus on what I was eating, making sure that I was weighing and recording everything. I'd remember that calorie information itself is an estimate and can be underestimated.

Yeah I know what you mean about calories being underestimated. And that worries me sometimes honestly. Cause when 1000-1300 calories is your restriction... a few calories off can equal easy overdose of calories! That is a big no-no for me so I try to leave a 100-200 gap for the wrongly proportioned foods I eat.
  • JulySadowski
    JulySadowski Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    hi- i'm 4'10" and weigh 145ish. i have a three month old girl, so my cal intake is different since i'm exclusively breast feeding. my weight is holding and i'm 5# over my pre-pregnancy weight. i'd like to loose 20# but not at the expense of feeding my girl.

i increased the 1300 cal mfp gave me to 1800 and some days when i work i have a hard time hitting even the 1800. i wait tables and have a hard time eating regularly. some shifts are so busy i can't even eat the snacks i pack with me.
  • WeightJourney77
    Options
    hi- i'm 4'10" and weigh 145ish. i have a three month old girl, so my cal intake is different since i'm exclusively breast feeding. my weight is holding and i'm 5# over my pre-pregnancy weight. i'd like to loose 20# but not at the expense of feeding my girl.

i increased the 1300 cal mfp gave me to 1800 and some days when i work i have a hard time hitting even the 1800. i wait tables and have a hard time eating regularly. some shifts are so busy i can't even eat the snacks i pack with me.

Maybe you should talk to your boss about your concerns for your child, that you need an extra 5 minute break at work so you can get the calories in, and if he refused - maybe try to get a doctors note of approval?
  • JulySadowski
    JulySadowski Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Maybe you should talk to your boss about your concerns for your child, that you need an extra 5 minute break at work so you can get the calories in, and if he refused - maybe try to get a doctors note of approval?

i wish it were that easy. my boss isn't the issue. she has no problems with me having food during my shift if i bring in my own snacks. it is the way a restaurant works. guests at tables aren't as forgiving if a server is to be absent for even 5 minutes for a quick snack- and that would be times 3 tables where i'm at. it isn't a work environment where breaks are easy to come by. i make do. what is harder is drinking enough water throughout the shift. water equals milk and pee and there isn't time to pee, so i don't drink water. that can kill my milk amounts (as it did this weekend). i try to make up for both after work and when i'm not working.
  • WeightJourney77
    Options

i wish it were that easy. my boss isn't the issue. she has no problems with me having food during my shift if i bring in my own snacks. it is the way a restaurant works. guests at tables aren't as forgiving if a server is to be absent for even 5 minutes for a quick snack- and that would be times 3 tables where i'm at. it isn't a work environment where breaks are easy to come by. i make do. what is harder is drinking enough water throughout the shift. water equals milk and pee and there isn't time to pee, so i don't drink water. that can kill my milk amounts (as it did this weekend). i try to make up for both after work and when i'm not working.

Not sure what to tell you there. = / Maybe talk to your doctor about good options / habits to do off work to make up for the loss of calories spent at work?

Idk =(
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Same here.... 157 cm, should have 1200 Kcal/day, I actually have 1500-1700 when I try to diet and I'm hungry!!!!
    37 y/o is so much more diffcult than when you are 20 :(
  • littlerunner7
    littlerunner7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name's Gabbi. I'm 23 years old, 5'1 and I'm a competitive triathlete. I train anywhere from 10-20 hours a week including activities such as cycling (100-200 miles a week), running, track workouts, swimming, and weights. My dietician wants me to eat 2,600 calories a day, but I feel like that's too much... I continue to eat following the MFP recommendations (it usually recommends anywhere from 1300-3000 depending on what activity I put in for exercise that day) but I almost always go under that as well (Ill usually eat around 1200-2000 on rare occasions). It's just really hard for me to eat that much... I'm just not usually hungry, sometimes I feel like I need to force myself to eat so I don't get too deficient in calories. However, my weight still continues to either stay constant or creep up. I'm at 114 now. Last year I was 108 for my racing weight, and a couple years before that I was 103. My body fat % used to be at 16% but it's at 24% now, pretty high for an athlete... Just 3 years ago I was running college cross country and track weighing in the 90lbs range. Since then, my training has increased so I'm really frustrated why my weight keeps creeping up. I have not had kids, and my diet hasn't really changed much, and I know the weight is from fat because I can see it and the body fat machine says my fat% increased. At least my performance hasn't suffered though, I continue to get faster times (faster than when I was 90something lbs) even with the added weight, but I can definitely see and feel that it's there, especially on my frame... I feel like I could be so much faster if I wasn't carrying an extra 10-15 lbs too... I'm scared if I follow the dietician's advice and try to eat more, I'll gain even more weight and make things worse, but if I further restrict my calories, I might risk sacrificing my performance. Don't know what to do, Ugh... Short athlete problems.... :/
  • toutmonpossible
    Options

Yeah I know what you mean about calories being underestimated. And that worries me sometimes honestly. Cause when 1000-1300 calories is your restriction... a few calories off can equal easy overdose of calories! That is a big no-no for me so I try to leave a 100-200 gap for the wrongly proportioned foods I eat.

Excellent strategy.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    Hi, my name's Gabbi. I'm 23 years old, 5'1 and I'm a competitive triathlete. I train anywhere from 10-20 hours a week including activities such as cycling (100-200 miles a week), running, track workouts, swimming, and weights. My dietician wants me to eat 2,600 calories a day, but I feel like that's too much... I continue to eat following the MFP recommendations (it usually recommends anywhere from 1300-3000 depending on what activity I put in for exercise that day) but I almost always go under that as well (Ill usually eat around 1200-2000 on rare occasions). It's just really hard for me to eat that much... I'm just not usually hungry, sometimes I feel like I need to force myself to eat so I don't get too deficient in calories. However, my weight still continues to either stay constant or creep up. I'm at 114 now. Last year I was 108 for my racing weight, and a couple years before that I was 103. My body fat % used to be at 16% but it's at 24% now, pretty high for an athlete... Just 3 years ago I was running college cross country and track weighing in the 90lbs range. Since then, my training has increased so I'm really frustrated why my weight keeps creeping up. I have not had kids, and my diet hasn't really changed much, and I know the weight is from fat because I can see it and the body fat machine says my fat% increased. At least my performance hasn't suffered though, I continue to get faster times (faster than when I was 90something lbs) even with the added weight, but I can definitely see and feel that it's there, especially on my frame... I feel like I could be so much faster if I wasn't carrying an extra 10-15 lbs too... I'm scared if I follow the dietician's advice and try to eat more, I'll gain even more weight and make things worse, but if I further restrict my calories, I might risk sacrificing my performance. Don't know what to do, Ugh... Short athlete problems.... :/

You don't have garden-variety issues. You work out a lot and need a certain amount of calories to maintain your performance yet you want to lose fat. You should seek out dietitians or trainers who have experience with short women doing triathlete sports. You may need someone who has a solid background but is willing to help you healthily experiment.

I know I'm not being very helpful, but I think you need a specialized program tailored to your needs by a professional.
  • littlerunner7
    littlerunner7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Guess, I could try what the dietician is wanting me to do... Still think it's a lot of calories though for my height...
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    Thanks. Guess, I could try what the dietician is wanting me to do... Still think it's a lot of calories though for my height...

Monitor your weight, muscle mass, energy and strength levels and decide whether it's working. Some dietitians are not up to date or not qualified to advise people with specific needs, such as training for a demanding sport.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Looking for buddies... I am 37 y/o, 5.2 and 113 lb. Trying to go to 110 lb and then 101 lb. Not exercising at the moment due to work demands. I am on 1500 cal/die and losing 2 lb per month. Really difficult for me to eat less than that! Living in London so low calorie food like veggies is not very tasty here!
  • 64mustangsue
    64mustangsue Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 1/2" and am going to be 50 this summer. Gaining weight has always been easy for me to do, loosing it......not so much. People (even in my own family) just don't get how hard it is to stay slim when 5lbs means your jeans are to tight. I recently left weight watchers because I have been at my goal weight for 2 years. I was very successful on their program, I lost 40lbs and am maintaining well. I was just tired of paying a monthly membership fee so am now trying MFP. Switching to counting calories is tough. MFP has me at 1270 to maintain. I gained 4 lbs the first week. I have gotten most of that back off so I feel I am getting a grip on calories vs points.

To the triathlete - one thing to keep in mind is even though you are extremely active your body can go into starvation mode without enough calories. The thing to look at is the quality of your calories. Also, unfortunately, as we get a little older our bodies process some food differently than in the past. I used to never have to watch my starchy carbs. I now do. If I eat a lot of pasta or breads even if I stay under the calorie (or points) recommended. If my carbs come from more fruits I am fine.

Looking forward to chatting with my fellow beautiful shorties.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    I am 5' 1/2" and am going to be 50 this summer. Gaining weight has always been easy for me to do, loosing it......not so much. People (even in my own family) just don't get how hard it is to stay slim when 5lbs means your jeans are to tight. I recently left weight watchers because I have been at my goal weight for 2 years. I was very successful on their program, I lost 40lbs and am maintaining well. I was just tired of paying a monthly membership fee so am now trying MFP. Switching to counting calories is tough. MFP has me at 1270 to maintain. I gained 4 lbs the first week. I have gotten most of that back off so I feel I am getting a grip on calories vs points.

To the triathlete - one thing to keep in mind is even though you are extremely active your body can go into starvation mode without enough calories. The thing to look at is the quality of your calories. Also, unfortunately, as we get a little older our bodies process some food differently than in the past. I used to never have to watch my starchy carbs. I now do. If I eat a lot of pasta or breads even if I stay under the calorie (or points) recommended. If my carbs come from more fruits I am fine.

Looking forward to chatting with my fellow beautiful shorties.

If you don't want to count calories you can create a series of meals of known caloric content and eat those.

Starvation mode is an extreme effect that happens only when you are derived of food for a significant period of time. Please do not perpetuate that myth. There are plenty of threads in this forum on the topic if you choose to search them or you can Google the issue.
  • PurpleZeal
    PurpleZeal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am in my late 40's, I am 5'2.5 and a little over 200 lbs. It had not occurred to me that because I am short I would have to eat less than the normal person. It is really hard for me to eat less than 1600 calories a day. I would be hungry all the time. I am desperate to lose weight. Is there no other way than to feel hungry all the time and drop down to 1300 calories or less? Bummer.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    I am in my late 40's, I am 5'2.5 and a little over 200 lbs. It had not occurred to me that because I am short I would have to eat less than the normal person. It is really hard for me to eat less than 1600 calories a day. I would be hungry all the time. I am desperate to lose weight. Is there no other way than to feel hungry all the time and drop down to 1300 calories or less? Bummer.

If you eat the right food, 1200 calories can be enough to avoid hunger.