Paleo/Primal Moms

Options
2»

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What I'm wondering though is if you can get the nutrients you are after by eating foods you like. I can just imagine that eating foods you don't like when you are pregnant might be especially unpleasant and possibly ineffective if you can't keep them down.

I second this. You couldn't pay me enough to eat a burger (or ground hamburger in any form) when I was pregnant, but the first thing I ate after I had my son, was a burger I stole from my husband. :laugh:

Pregnancy does weird things to you. I do miss the super-nose though. It was kind of fun knowing the milk was going bad, three days earlier than most people could detect.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    "I just had my baby 16 years ago"

I feel this. Mine is 10.

She eats our Paleo food with carby supplements (bread, pasta, etc.)

I raised her on the SAD diet, she eats it in school lunches and with dad, and all the grandparents, and everywhere, so I really can't stop it.

It is hard enough for me to be Paleo, I'm not even going to force her to try it.

If me & my Paleo BF make more babies, we'll raise them Paleo, but if not, well, no one is going to make her change if she don't want too.

But now my Paleo BF is planning a Paleo Pregnancy diet for me that rich in LIVER and HERRING!

EW!

I'm not excited about the idea of getting pregnant anymore.

Replace my booze with liver? Holy mother.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

It is too bad that we don't eat grains! Haggis is delicious but it has oat meal!! Pate is good. That would take care of the liver problem. The Herring…well that is a problem! I'm afraid I am no help at all! Why does you BF want you to eat those things? What if he eats them while you are pregnant!! LOL!

It's absolutely vital to eat foods that enable absorption of fat soluble vitamins during pregnancy. All aboriginal societies had/have specific diets for women who are trying to conceive or are pregnant. We set the stage for the health of our child for their entire life while we carry them (brain development, bone/teeth health, etc etc). There's nothing more vital that being properly nourished during pregnancy. So if a mom needs to eat a few things that she isn't crazy about to ensure the best health for the baby, why would she not do that? I've gotten used to fermented cod liver oil; it doesn't kill me to eat a little every day and I do it just for my own health since I'm not pregnant.

I avoid most grains most of the time, but I have added certified wheat free oatmeal back into my diet occasionally. The only rule I never break is "don't cheat with wheat". If you tolerate oatmeal, by all means have it once in awhile! Just make sure to get the certified "wheat free" because oatmeal is usually cross-contaminated.

I absolutely agree with you about feeding your body and your baby the best things you can. As soon as I realized I was pregnant sugar and white flour did not cross my lips until long after I stopped breast feeding (five years+). Unfortunately I didn't know about primal back then so I was still eating grains and beans. What I'm wondering though is if you can get the nutrients you are after by eating foods you like. I can just imagine that eating foods you don't like when you are pregnant might be especially unpleasant and possibly ineffective if you can't keep them down. I definitely agree with avoiding non-foods and alcohol (sorry Asa! ; )) before I learned I was pregnant I had a scotch with my father in law and ate chocolate mousse for breakfast. I felt dreadful! I had no idea why and it was probably weeks before I figured it out. I still feel guilty about that but I guess there are advantages to planning these things and getting your diet figured out in advance.

By all means eat the food you like for the most part, but the foods that help with absorption of fat soluble vitamins are often the foods that our present society has moved away from and that I even see many Paleo people refuse to eat. You don't need to eat a LOT of organ meat, fermented CLO, or whatever, but SOME. I hated the fermented CLO at first (I only use FERMENTED- Green Pastures high vitamin butter oil/fermented CLO specifically) and it made me almost vomit, but now I actually don't mind it. Really!

I didn't know about all this when I was pregnant either, but my ancestors a few generations back did. Sad how much knowledge we are losing and our kids are paying the price. My child has many cavities, behavioural issues, underdeveloped jaws, might develop scoliosis (I did) etc and it all started during pregnancy, and my mom's pregnancy, and my grandmother's pregnancy. It's a long line of malnutrition that will take 4 generations to rectify.... if my child continues with what I am teaching her. Blame and regret are useless, but when we finally know better, we are obligated to DO better.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Great thread.

My philosophy has been to be a role mode for my kids, but not to force Primal on them. They're now 6 and 4. I don't restrict any foods from them, but I make sure they have lots of meat, veg, fruit options. They pay attention to what I'm eating that's different from what they are eating, and they comment on it. They know what's "caveman healthy" and what's not. They're pretty good veggie and meat eaters, so I don't stress about it too much. I don't restrict their food at school, but I pack mostly Primal lunches for them (even when I fell off the wagon... so hypocritical, right?) Most of the time they prefer my packed lunches over the school lunches, but I also like exposing them to new foods at school. For example, whenever I served sweet potatoes at home, they refused. But when they ate them at school, suddenly they were good.

As for hubby, he traded a very BAD habit for a sugar habit. As far as I'm concerned, I'd much prefer for him to feed his issues with cinnamon rolls and cookies and candy than what he was doing before. He'll still have health issues with that stuff in the long-run, but at least he's not dead, which is pretty close to what he was before. He'll be overweight and eventually be diabetic and hypertensive but hopefully still alive to see his kids grow up. It's a trade-off he's made, and I support it. He's a grown-up and I don't tell him how to eat. He was jealous and proud of me when I lost all my weight, but didn't change his ways. His choice.

I do try to minimize his sugary influence on the kids, but I don't make a big deal of it. When they make a good choice, I stress that. Last night, my boys asked for dessert. When I asked what they wanted, my youngest asked for a banana. I praised his choice up and down, and my older son saw him get praised, and then switched his choice from a cookie to an apple. Wahoo!

As for liver and herring when you're pregnant...
    Well, I love liver. And herring. In fact, I think I craved herring at one point during my pregnancies.
    I think if you can stomach liver, go for it. It's good for you. If not, well you'll still be a good mom. :-)
    Try going to a Jewish deli and getting chopped liver. Oh man... I could eat that every day. It's not as good on celery sticks as it is on Matzo, but...
    Instead of herring you can eat sardines. How about some nice wild salmon?

Power to all of us moms, doing the best we can!
  • mommymilkies
    Options
    I *was* but I have 5 kids-two teen eaters. I was spending well over $1200/month for food and everyone was still starving. So now I cook as grain free as possible but they have things they can make and eat. We do garden, but we've had extreme weather variations the last few years and our crops have failed.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I *was* but I have 5 kids-two teen eaters. I was spending well over $1200/month for food and everyone was still starving. So now I cook as grain free as possible but they have things they can make and eat. We do garden, but we've had extreme weather variations the last few years and our crops have failed.

If you're spending an arm and a leg on food, you're probably missing something. I'm willing to bet that you're getting your meat from the grocery store (most people who complain that eating pastured animals is too expensive is, because getting it from the store is expensive).

If so, check out http://www.eatwild.com/ for your area and find a farm/butcher near you. It will save you thousands of dollars.

Also, check for co-ops, and talk to your employer about supporting a local co-op. If your company is big enough, they might give you a discount, and getting your food that way makes it easy to get local, organic foods for quite a bit cheaper than the grocery store. Some places also have co-op-supported markets (either permanent or transient), which can help get bulk things like herbs and nuts, as well as some other hard-to-find items, like Manuka honey.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    We also have 5 children and spend close to $300 a week on food, those darn teens :wink:

Recently the budget has been tight though, so to try to stretch things a bit we have added back rice and potatoes. I really think the extra carbs are helping the kids feel more satisfied. They are definitely active enough to have a requirement for a higher carb level. It has also been good for me to have the starches. I do need to get back to adding liver to ground beef dishes though, I think the extra nutirents did help them stay full too.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, just joined this forum as I am recommitting to paleo and also trying to figure out what to feed my 6 month old daughter.

We are doing baby led weaning - so she eats strips of veggies, egg, and meat. I'd love to hear of any paleo baby led weaning stories or resources but I'm aware I am a minority in a minority - I think!

I'm a bit concerned about not following recommendations re normal
    diets. Even though I've read a lot of the science and really believe in it, it is tricky to make that decision to be so unusual on behalf of someone else. And I don't want to be v v strict through her childhood because I think it would be hard for her not to partake in normal foods. My husband thinks we should just do paleo meals at home and not sweat it if she goes to a party or whatever.

Shredded liver and egg yolk as described by sally Fallon search Weston a price for more info re this combo as a first food. And 6 months old is still pretty early in blw which is what I did w my kids. I started giving them food when they grabbed it of our plates; I'd mash it with a fork and give them bits. I think Weston a price is a better fit for babies/ toddlers than paleo. At one year old I would start the kids on a slow cooked oat porridge and raw butter and heavy cream. None of those are paleo but all are nourishing for a developing brain and growing body.