Replies

• pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group Steph! :flowerforyou:
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I finally decided to join the group although I'm not quite ready for my first bulk. I have friends in this group and I'm always being refrenenced information that is posted here so it's time I joined in.

My name is Steph, I'm 5'7, 150ish pounds, 23 year old female. I'm following the SL program currently white at a slight cut. I'm going to cut until about July-September. I would like to cut for a few more months because I still have a high-ish BF% (23-25%) and honestly, I'm vain and want to look the best I can in a swimsuit. Cutting is hard though so I might start maintenance or a bulk earlier. I still have some newbie gains to squeeze out so I want to take advantage of that while still losing some fat.

A quick summary of my fitness progress; Started in Jan 2013 at 180. Lost 30 pounds over 2013 but haven't made any weight progress since then. Ate at maintenance for a few months, started a body weight lifting program then moved on to weight machines at my apartment gym for a few months before starting SL. I ate a little too much during the holidays and then with my recent move so I got up to about 155. I'm hovering around 150-152 right now but I've lost some inches in the last few months.

Hey Steph! I missed your intro! Welcome, welcome! I'll probably be ready for bulk #2 by the time you start so we'll do it together!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Hi, just jumping in here to introduce myself as I lurk here everyday and will *someday* be doing a bulk. I'm currently still trying to get to 22% BF but am hoping to be there by Fall. I started NROL4W and eating at a small deficit in June of 2012. I've lost 42lbs and and 6 sizes eating 1900-2200 cals/day and lifting. Definitely not a quick process, but I've learned a lot, have never felt deprived, and my body has changed more than I dreamed it could. Last year I started to realize that to get the *look* and strength I want, I will have to bulk.
    I'm 5'5" and currently 144lbs and BF% is in the upper 20s maybe 30ish. I'm doing NROL Supercharged- no extra cardio other than leisurely walking and an occasional bike ride with the kids.
    I love reading your posts as it prepares me for for the crazy mental process that I know I will experience trying to gain weight. :flowerforyou:
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Hi, just jumping in here to introduce myself as I lurk here everyday and will *someday* be doing a bulk. I'm currently still trying to get to 22% BF but am hoping to be there by Fall. I started NROL4W and eating at a small deficit in June of 2012. I've lost 42lbs and and 6 sizes eating 1900-2200 cals/day and lifting. Definitely not a quick process, but I've learned a lot, have never felt deprived, and my body has changed more than I dreamed it could. Last year I started to realize that to get the *look* and strength I want, I will have to bulk.
    I'm 5'5" and currently 144lbs and BF% is in the upper 20s maybe 30ish. I'm doing NROL Supercharged- no extra cardio other than leisurely walking and an occasional bike ride with the kids.
    I love reading your posts as it prepares me for for the crazy mental process that I know I will experience trying to gain weight. :flowerforyou:

Welcome!!! I really enjoyed NROL Supercharged, and think it's a great program! Slow and steady is good--seems like you've been doing everything right so far. Looking forward to watching the progress on your bulk come the fall!
  • LiveMore101
    LiveMore101 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am wanting to start a bulk here in June (worst month to pick since it's summer, but oh well). My motivational quote right now is, "Get Fit for Life. Not For Summer." Anyways! I am 5"1 1/2. My starting weight was 119 pounds, with a 30 inch waist and a 36 inch hips. I am now 100-101, with a 24 1/2 inch waist and a 29 inch hips. My maintenance calories right now is around 1600-1800, but since I'm wanting to bulk, that will eventually go up to about 2000 or so. I want to bulk and gain muscle because I thought it was just all about losing weight. I thought I would finally have the body I want by being a cardio bunny and running, running, running. I never took weight training seriously until I heard from people about bodybuilding.com, which introduced me that fit and strength is much more important than looking thin!
    I believe my body fat % is around 15%. I'm wanting it to stay there, or at least in the healthy range!

Not entirely sure what program I'm doing to be doing. All I know is that I need to incorporate heavy deadlifts, squats, lunges, military presses, rows, bench presses, and wanting to work on push-ups and chin-ups. I don't like doing cardio that much, but if I do and it's not FORCED, I love swimming, tennis, walks, and roller blading! :)

My duration for a bulking period would be as long as it takes to gain about 6 pounds of muscle, and to still have most of that left when I cut.... I'm a little new to this all! :P

But I definitely need help fighting through the mentality of having to see a bunch of weight come back on again... That's what I'm struggling with right now. So, any suggestions or advice would be extremely helpful!
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, 47yr old male here doing my first ever bulk. I did a search on "bulk" and a link to this group came up. I think it's great and happy that males are welcome.

My goal is to lower bf% without losing anymore weight.

1. Starting weight. 160 lbs
    2. Bulk goal weight: 170 lbs and will assess whether to keep going to 175lbs. Before cutting back to 160lbs
    3. Maintenance calories. These are MFP "net". 1,950
    4. Bulk calories. 2250 - 2300
    5. Bulk goal duration. 12 weeks and will reasses. I'm looking to gain 0.5 - 1.0lb per week
    6. Lifting program. Full Body, progressive, 3 heavy lifting days a week, 1 moderate cardio

I'd been at maintenance and was looking for a new goal. I'm on my third week and am up 3.8lbs. I like reading the success stories and would love to hear from people in their 40's + who have successfully completed their first bulk cycle.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hi authoress and raindawg. Good luck with the first bulk - you're going to love it :)

Quick question, raindawg. What height are you? Just your maintainence cals seem a bit low for a guy, you'll probably need a bit more than you think for a bulk.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi authoress and raindawg. Good luck with the first bulk - you're going to love it :)

Quick question, raindawg. What height are you? Just your maintainence cals seem a bit low for a guy, you'll probably need a bit more than you think for a bulk.

Hi, thanks for the welcome, the first couple weeks have been fun having a goal to work for. I found after hitting my goal weight and sitting at maintenance for a while I was ready for something new. My main goal is just to reduce bf% without taking anymore weight off.

I'm 5'9" and started at 160. Currently sitting at 164 on my third week. My maintenance calories listed above are "net" of exercise" so TDEE has me around 2,300 maintenance. My bulk calories are "net" also. My plan is to monitor another week or two and adjust by 100 up or down. I don't want to add too fast. At my age I'm hoping to limit the ratio of fat/lm gain to no worse than 1 to 1.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well- While I don't think anyone horribly objects - it is the women who bulk group.

We do have a gaining weight forum with all sorts of peoples in it and it's gender specific.... but- I don't particularly have an issue with it- just you will get a lot more TOM and "omg I'm fat" type things here- we don't really whine- but when we do- it's the womeney type of whining (is that a thing? I mean- is there a difference LOL)
  • Sinful_moon
    Sinful_moon Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, little late in introducing myself but better now then never :)

1. Starting weight- 108
    2. Bulk goal weight- 118
    3. Maintenance calories- 1678
    4. Bulk calories- 1850 (150-200 higher on work days, I'm on my feet for 8 hours in constant motion)
    5. Bulk goal duration - 12 weeks (more or less depending on how the weight/bodyfat is going)
    6. Lifting program- ICF 5x5

Would love to have some bulking buddies through the process and beyond, my friends list is mostly weight loss.

Thanks for your time ^-^
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Ohai. I'm Lynx. This is ma first bulk. Started in February of this year. Had a bad two weeks but other than that, been steady with calories. I slowly reversed from cutting to bulk, so its been a fun experience thus far.

1. Starting weight for bulk: 119 lbs
    2. Goal weight: no more than 130 lbs
    3. Maintenance calories: around 2200
    4. Bulk calories 2300
    5. Bulk duration: October on if possible
    6. Lifting program: All Pro

Just really want a place to ask questions without bs. ;P Thanks for dealing wif me
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hi sinfulmoon and sugarylynx

Jealous of you guys bulking (I'm trying to cut now) - have fun :)
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Hi Sinful Moon and Lynx! So the only thing I would point out is your bulk calories. When I joined this lovely group, my goal was to eat 200 over maintenance. A few people suggested that I should increase that amount if I wanted to see real gains. The reason is calorie counting is not an exact science, so it's always better the err on the side of more calories when bulking. You can always cut the fat later. In my case they were right. My TDEE is 2200, and I bulked eating 2400 for the first 6 weeks and didn't see much progress. So I bumped it up to 2600 and finally saw some gains. Just a thought. Lynx, I know you said in the forums the other day that you've gained 4 pounds so you are making progress, it just might be slow going.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    @3laine75 Hai! Ty :D love bulking thus far!

@__freckles__ Yep :) per SS advice when I did a 12 week program for him, he said to gain slow, even if some weeks I were maintaining. I'm totally cool with slow gains. I think, ultimately, so as long as my strength gains are consistent, I'll be happy. I did 9 months of cutting add the beginning to ever weightlifting, so this is a whole new world of awesome!
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Well, no one's posted on the introductions in a while, but here i go. This will be my first bulk.

1. Starting weight: 148
    2. Bulk goal weight: 160
    3. Maintenance calories: 2300
    4. Bulk calories: 2550
    5. Bulk goal duration: 3 months, then I'll reevaluate
    6. Lifting program: Nerd Fitness Academy
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I ended a bulk at the beginning of October and have been cutting since. I spent about 10 months bulking and gained 10-12 pounds. I finally got into the mindset to start cutting again. I want to get to at least 125 by the beginning of February but ok if it takes longer. I'm not good with maintaining so will probably just bulk and cut until I can figure out maintenance which will probably be never.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Steph. This is my first bulk.

1. Starting weight-I got down to 128 on the scale before I started reversing. I basically never saw anything on the scale between 128-133 though. I am honestly a little unsure of starting weight because it was never steady. I'll go with 130
    2. Bulk goal weight- 140 if I'm scared, 145 if I'm not.
    3. Maintenance calories -1800
    4. Bulk calories -2050
    5. Bulk goal duration -5 months
    6. Lifting program - PHUL with added glute work

I'm about 8-10 weeks in and weighing around 136. I feel fluffy but strong. I've gained over an inch back on my hips, inch to the waist, in on the thighs. Arm measurement is holding strong. Mentally I'm having my ups and downs. Downs when my jeans are tight and I look at my thighs, ups when I am making PRs in the gym.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    nice!!!! Welcome and good job on the process of the first bulk.

It's definitely a mental slog. You an do it!! 5 months is a great window to shoot for (I aim for 4-6- and have been good with 5)

YAY FOR GYM PRS!!!
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hi! I figure it's finally time to introduce myself although I have been lurking for a while. My name is Erica. I've been spinning my wheels a bit for the last year or so in terms of body composition, but I'm finally ready to get a bit more serious. Through the process I think I have actually made some muscle gains, just perhaps not as good as they could have been. Currently I am slowly cutting/recomping through summer, then look to bulk seriously through autumn/winter. Although I had been doing bodyweight strength work and some dumbbell stuff, previously I've only just got into the big compound lifts since October, doing the Stronglifts program.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    nice!!!! Welcome and good job on the process of the first bulk.

It's definitely a mental slog. You an do it!! 5 months is a great window to shoot for (I aim for 4-6- and have been good with 5)

YAY FOR GYM PRS!!!

Thanks Jo. A friend of mine recommended me to this group. I could definitely use a little support...what with my mini freak outs. Currently trying to decide whether to eat at a deficit or maintenance since I over-bulked during the holidays.