Race Results

Options

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Thanks vard and tim..

I will say that I was using a training plan for GipIs that predicted 25:06 and I couldn't be more please with that training plan other than the weekly mileage I thought was rather low.

A bit about the 5K.. I fully planned on running @7:52 the whole race. But chance of thunderstorms brought us a 16 MPH wind with 35 gusts, and this was going to be the headwind on the back portion of the race.

I thought there was no way I was going to PR with that wind, since it had been windy for the last month, I knew my pace drops about 30 seconds when heading into the wind sustaining about the same amount of effort. So I decided to go for it and run about 7:20 for the first half til the turnaround, which I held real well. Then as soon as i hit the turnaround, the wind hit me and I also had to expend energy to stay balanced during the gusts. Ending up with about 8:30 on the back stretch. I won't lie, I was pretty excited after the first half mile that I had passed a few people and could only see 2 more. It was at the turnaround point when i passed the next person on their way to the turnaround point that I thought.."Hey, I could be 3rd overall!". Then it became a race to me. in the last half mile a young woman was gaining on me and I was sooooo tired. Heart rate was peaking above max and I was determined to not let her pass. I saw the finish line and I opened it up and finished at the same pace I started. It was exhilarating.

Sorry for rambling on, but wanted to share the race experience with ya and the fact that I employed some strategy made me realize that I am actually racing. So it's kinds cool.
    Loved reading about your race and the strategy. Glad that you could pull out some more energy at the end! Terrific!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    PR'd my half marathon yesterday. 1:46:30

Blew away my old PR of 1:53:53.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    PR'd my half marathon yesterday. 1:46:30

Blew away my old PR of 1:53:53.

Wow, huge improvement, well done!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Running my first 10K this Saturday which will my longest run ever. (Ran about 5.7 miles on a training run last weekend). First couple of miles of the course is largely uphill and I ran that part a few weekends ago to get a feel for it.

Will post the results after the race. I suppose that since it's my first time at that distance whatever I get will be my PR.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Ran my first 10K last Saturday in a steady drizzle. Wasn't that cold, just wet. Ended up with a time of slightly under 63 minutes. Now I'm going to start a 12-week program training for a half-marathon in late July (where rain will be quite unlikely in our area that time of the year).
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Ran my first 10K last Saturday in a steady drizzle. Wasn't that cold, just wet. Ended up with a time of slightly under 63 minutes. Now I'm going to start a 12-week program training for a half-marathon in late July (where rain will be quite unlikely in our area that time of the year).

Great job on your first 10K!!
  • btsinmd
    Options
    Great first 10k!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    PR'd my 10M by the very tips of my toes on Saturday. So I'm giving it another shot next Saturday. Lol.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    PR'd my 10M by the very tips of my toes on Saturday. So I'm giving it another shot next Saturday. Lol.

You're amazing!
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Did my first race yesterday. 4.5 miles (so 7 and a bit km) in 39:39. Going to do my first 10k next Sunday I think
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options

You're amazing!

???????????? Laura! Thank you ????
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Did my first race yesterday. 4.5 miles (so 7 and a bit km) in 39:39. Going to do my first 10k next Sunday I think

Well done!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Great job! 10ks are fun. Short enough to push yourself. Long enough that you're not killing yourself the whole time.
  • btsinmd
    Options
    Did my second 5k race today. It went much better than my first one! Maybe I won't let almost a year go by before I sign up for another race. :)

Just kidding, because I really do plan to do a half marathon this fall.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options

^^^this run was absolutely awful for me. I probably walked nearly a mile of it which is very rare for me to need a walk break at this distance. As I mentioned I was out for vengeanance this weekend and actually met my goal time (1:50) and now have a new PR of 1:49:47 and miles 8-10 were the fastest. I've definitely gotten that crap run from last weekend out of my head! ????
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options

Great job! 10ks are fun. Short enough to push yourself. Long enough that you're not killing yourself the whole time.

Varda why are you telling fibs?? 10k's are fun for NO ONE!!!! (My 2 cents lol)
  • AlbionOakley
    Options
    It was fun actually! I made a couple of mistakes. Started right at the back of a field of around 2500 runners, so very slow start as totally boxed in. Plus my fear of the distance led me to not push as much as I possibly could in the second half.
    Provisional time from my phone app of 1:01:52
  • AlbionOakley
    Options
    Official time yesterday was 1:01:31. Finished 1059 overall and 190/248 in males aged 26-35
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Official time yesterday was 1:01:31. Finished 1059 overall and 190/248 in males aged 26-35

Nice job!! Congrats on the first 10K!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Did my first organised race yesterday, 10Km forested trail run with a 270m total ascent and descent. The surface was pretty muddy in places.

Very happy with a 58:32 finish. Given my best 10K in training was 54:20, and that was round the London parks, it was a solid result.