'Diet Foods' - Available in Australia

Options

Replies

• mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I saw them on ebay either in singles or packets. I'm thinking of trying those too, after hearing a lot of people talk about them on here I had a look and they have 20g+ of protein per bar, compared to most I've seen on the market here that have 10g or less, that's pretty good.

But then I'm thinking of just getting some protein from Bulknutrients.com.au. My partner gets his protein from there and thinks it's really good. It's pretty well priced-even better if you can share postage with someone which we are doing.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    The best protein bars I have found are simply raw protein + antioxidants. No weird stuff, 100% plant protein and dried fruit goodness (with a little vanilla and salt). 154 calories of win.

Purefit bars are 40:30:30 (zone) and vegan, and 200 calories.

There's heaps of good vegan protein options available these days, even in supermarkets - but there are still some traps for noobs. Quorn uses egg as a binder. Considering how many plant sourced binding ingredients there are, this is silly.

All Fry's is vegan, and some Linda McCartney is too - Linda McCartney sausages rock my world.

Vegan cheese substitutes are not worth it macro or taste wise. Although I have not tried daiya, apparently they are coming to Australia.

Vegetables are the best diet foods, and Australia has always had epic veggies. I sometimes feel embarrassed about the amount of veggies I eat, but there are raw vegans out there who would put me to shame.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    You used to be able to get caramel rice cakes. Sunrice says they'll be back soon... There are also the tomato and sour cream chive ones and I guess they are like low cal chips but I don't like them as much lol
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You used to be able to get caramel rice cakes. Sunrice says they'll be back soon... There are also the tomato and sour cream chive ones and I guess they are like low cal chips but I don't like them as much lol

I adore the salt & vinegar ones. I'd prefer to eat them over salt & vinegar chips now. So morish!
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options

But then I'm thinking of just getting some protein from Bulknutrients.com.au. My partner gets his protein from there and thinks it's really good. It's pretty well priced-even better if you can share postage with someone which we are doing.

I get my protein powder from bulk nutrients, its pretty good. I have the coffee flavour at the moment, its a bit average with water but nice with light milk.

They have a new pre workout being released soon, keen to try that.
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Helgas low carb bread has 3 varieties. I love the 5 seed ....a bit too much;)
    Calories are similar to the light rye I have been eating but the 5 seed is really moist
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    http://www.spiralfoods.com.au/products/coconut-spread?cat=6

Just found this at Woolies. Trying it out instead of peanut butter for a fat source for a bit.

VERY tasty! It solidifies like coconut oil would so less likely to just eat a jar of it :laugh:

I've been melting it in with my oats + protein powder mixes. Highly recommended. Was $6.50 I think.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    KFC grilled twisters. 530-550 cals each. Around 35-40g of protein and 20-25g fat. Tuesday night ritual for me :laugh: The salsa one is my favourite (has corn chips on it).
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    KFC grilled twisters. 530-550 cals each. Around 35-40g of protein and 20-25g fat. Tuesday night ritual for me :laugh: The salsa one is my favourite (has corn chips on it).

Good one. My standard quick and easy drive thru fast food snack on the go is KFC crispy strips - 3 strips (151g) totals 348 calories, with 30g of protein and 28g fat.
  • tasha_1306
    tasha_1306 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

- Quest bars - not available in Aus, but you can get them sent to you from America. Between 160-200 cal depending on which bar you choose. They are delicious, full of fibre and protein, and if you microwave them, they become cakey :D

Quest bars are available from some Supplement shops in Australia. Just have to scour them all till you find them. The Nutrition Warehouse I know has them and I've found them in other Supplement stores.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Nice tip on the grilled twisters and the crispy strips. Will keep it in mind

Farmer's Union single serve yoghurts 170g are on sale in Coles this week for $1 each and have pretty good macros (comparable to Chobani).

Farmer's Union Strawberry 129 Cals, 19 Carbs, 0 Fat and 12 Protein
    Chobani Strawberry 142 Cals, 20 Carbs, 0 Fat, 14 Protein

I was pleasantly surprised with the protein content
  • gmallan
    Options
    Woolies has Ocean Chef yellow fin tuna steaks (frozen) on special this week (until 24 June) $14.50 for a kilo bag. They come pre-portioned in 125g bags (although I weighed 2 of mine and they were 140g each). I added a little sweet chilli, soy and sesame oil and pan fried. Delish and super cheap for fish.
  • mockchoc
    Options
    Woolies has Ocean Chef yellow fin tuna steaks (frozen) on special this week (until 24 June) $14.50 for a kilo bag. They come pre-portioned in 125g bags (although I weighed 2 of mine and they were 140g each). I added a little sweet chilli, soy and sesame oil and pan fried. Delish and super cheap for fish.

Do you know what country the fish is from?
  • gmallan
    Options

Vietnam according to their website
  • mockchoc
    Options

Ok, thanks. Fish here is SO expensive it's rediculous. I wanted to buy either fresh or frozen salmon or barra and it's all over $30 a kilo!
  • gmallan
    Options

Ok, thanks. Fish here is SO expensive it's rediculous. I wanted to buy either fresh or frozen salmon or barra and it's all over $30 a kilo!

Yep, that's why I jumped on this deal. I might grab another kilo pack before the sale ends
  • mockchoc
    Options

Yep, that's why I jumped on this deal. I might grab another kilo pack before the sale ends

Yes can't blame you. I might too tomorrow since I'm going to Woolies in the morning.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Calories are similar to the light rye I have been eating but the 5 seed is really moist

Where are you finding this? My stores only have Helga's Gluten Free
  • chrisdavey
    Options

Where are you finding this? My stores only have Helga's Gluten Free

I just came here to post this. Going searching at Woolies today.

2 slices. 200 cals. 10P/19C8F
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    While we're talking breads etc, I'll throw in my preferred carb sources (when trying to cut down total carb intake a bit).

Brumby's (Get Active) Soy & Linseed bread (1 thick 43.5g slice): 110 cals, 12C / 7P / 3F (4g fibre)

Goodness Superfoods Barley Wraps (per 45g wrap): 104 cals, 11C / 5P / 2F (10g fibre)!