Let's get this Group Going

Options
pattyebricker
pattyebricker Posts: 149 Member
I am 65 years old and need and would like encouragement, and advice. Trying to get my health back. Need to lose at least 80lbs. Don't want any more excuses like I'm just a food addict, I just can't eat sugar or any other excuses. I just over eat and it's time to stop. I also need to exercise. I have been sitting for as long as I can remember. I don't like to exercise, but that excuse won't fly any longer either. Is there anyone out there that's wants to get on this wagon with me?

Replies

• pattyebricker
    Options
    Joined Curves 2 weeks ago and today was the 1st time I was able to complete the circuit. It is amazing how much stronger I feel after only 2 weeks. I really never thought it was possible. I'm far from being where I want to be, in fact I am really slow going around the circuit, but now I believe I can get where I want to be. As the old saying goes "slow and steady wins the race". Would love other seniors to join me in regaining my health and getting back in the life game.
  • CapeCodSheila
    CapeCodSheila Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking control of your health. As a former Curves trainer, I think you've chosen a wonderful way to start working out, plus you meet such nice people there. half the time you don't realize you're exercising and then you're done! I am 67 and have lost almost 30 pounds in the past 3 years, and am now on maintenance. But if I don't stay motivated and on track, the weight starts creeping back fast, so I need to stay focused. I feel so much better-that's what I need to remind myself when I hear chocolate calling.....
    Feel free to friend me
  • Inarie
    Inarie Posts: 3
    Options
    am 71 and walking up and down hills to lose weight. I can't believe how much stronger I feel after just one week I live in the Adirondack Mountains and the hills are all around me. I want to lose 40 pounds so here I go. I just found this site and I love it.
  • pattyebricker
    Options
    Just completed my curves circuit and can't believe how much better I feel after starting to exercise. I really enjoy the ladies there and look forward to seeing them. I am trying to get control of my eating. I am just starting to realize just how much I was over eating and that it is mainly mindless eating. Look forward to exchanging information with you ladies.
    Inarie: Glad you are walking and we can lose this weight
    CapeCodShelia: Thanks for the encouragement regarding Curves. There is negative talk about it, but I think it is just what I need. I am going to send a friend request. Did you use a specific diet or just track calories?
  • merrygrannie
    merrygrannie Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am 67 and have been using MyFitnessPal for 60 days and i've have lost 20 lbs.I had lost 22 lbs before getting on MFP.I still need to lose 56 lbs,My sister and I walk for an hr.when the weather cooperates and when it doesn't I have a walking tape.It's a 4 mile walking tape.When I retired I became lazy ,watching television,reading & eating.Now I have refocused and getting back on track.Tracking our food,exercise and drinking LOTS of water is the key here.We can do this.
  • lkphilley
    lkphilley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful I am 60 and you sound alot better in moving than me you are an inspiration keep posting and have a great day:smile:
  • lkphilley
    Options
    That's wonderful I am 60 and you sound alot better in moving than me you are an inspiration keep posting and have a great day:smile:
    O K ----i seemed to have posted this twice and I can fiqure how to take it off lol sorry
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Inarie-That is awesome on you're walking .And i'm sure you have beautiful scenery.Like you I really enjoy walking.Some mornings I have a mental debate whether I want to exercise or not but once I get going i'm glad i went.I exercise best if I go early in the morning.I don't like to get busy and then stop to get my exercise in.
    I hope everyone had a great day.
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    I'm hanging my laundry out today and it just might get rained on.I sure hope not.Getting ready to put out my 3rd load.
    Went walking for an hour this morning and a neighbors dog has decided he wants to trail along.And that's ok.The problem is he doesn't want to go home.I'm afraid he'll chase our chickens or kill them.Nor does my dog want him around.I don't know if we need to find a different walking path or not.Kinda hard to do when you live in the country.
    Is everyone having a good day?I sure hope so.Not much action going on here.
  • lkphilley
    Options
    merrygrannie Good morning I have been reading on a web called fly lady and she said as soon as you get up wash your face brush your hair get dressed with your tennis shoes on then your body knows it's time to move,and it works for me.Plus I step outside that always gets me moving .This morning though is the exception I bought groceries yesterday and that always hurts my back. Today has to be a take it easy day. This is when I want to stay in bed but that hurts too so I have to work thru it.But i am the same as you on alot of things. Right now it helps to read about everyone else to know I am not alone.
  • lkphilley
    Options
    Inarie- I would rather walk outdoors and I love hills and mountains--I don't know how many I could walk.You are a really inspiration to read.My Aunt and I walked her hills by her house and it really gets your heart going but you have things to look at outside.Keep it up and have a good day
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Sitting here logging in my food and exercise before going again to help set tobacco.The last couple of years I tell myself i'm not going to help but here I go again.It will be alright once I get going.I went walking for 70 mins today so at least i got that out of the way.
    IKphilley-like you, I'd rather walk outside.It seems like I always notice something different that I didn't before.
    It's about time to leave to get that tobacco in the ground.I hope everyone has a great day.Don't forget to exercise and get that water down.
    Mary.
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Good morning everyone.Just walked for an hr.and cooling off.I need to do some mowing today and hanging out laundry.
    Happy Veterans Day!
    Remember to eat healthy,drink plenty of water and exercise.
    This is a new day,make it count.
    Mary
  • CapeCodSheila
    CapeCodSheila Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi-I think Patti has left the group- she put a message out on the home page the other day that she was taking a different weight loss path

I didn't realize this board was still active-Nice to meet you Ladies!

I have a Fitbit and try to walk at least 10,000 steps a day. Right now there's so much pollen in the air, I can't go outside without choking and having my eyes burn. SO I'm working out in my moldy basement! I have always liked to walk, but after 40 years in the same neighborhood I was getting pretty bored. And suddenly I found myself taking different routes and longer walks and lately I've been walking the long way to the little neighborhood beach-about a 3 miles round trip. SO staying inside is frustrating, but necessary for now. The trees should be in full bloom soon and then it will be safe again
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Good evening,
    Going to a family reunion tomorrow,potluck of course.I'm going to try very hard to behave myself and eat sensibly.

CapeCodSheila-I've changed my walking route too.My sister and I use to go to the park to walk.After awhile it became boring.We live in the country so we can choose to either go left or right out of our driveways.lol Nice to meet you too!

Gotta go get some prep work done for tomorrow.hope everyone is having a good day.

LKphillie-I haven't got in my water nor exercise and still need 500 calories.And it's already 5pm here.Wish I at least had more water drank.so far only 5 glasses.
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Good morning everyone.
    After not exercising Fri. and Sat. I finally started exercising Sun.and again this morning.I think i'm back on track again.How about a challenge this month ? 500 minutes of exercise between June 2nd to June 30th.Anyone interested?
    Mary
  • pattyebricker
    Options
    Good morning everyone, I haven't dropped out., but just realized there was a response to this group. I'm still at MFP but going to try 1 meal a day as I lost so little weight in 33 days. I think I have a problem counting calories and seem to be able to adjust the numbers up and down to suit what I want to eat, even with weighing and measuring lol. I'm still going to stay within my calorie goal. Hope you all are well and that we can stay in touch.
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    Pattyebricker-Why are you just eating 1 meal a day? That's not even healthy.I've been eating 3 meals plus 2 snacks a day.If you do lose it will be hard to keep it off because you're metabolism will be messed up.Are you exercising and drinking lots of water.That was a big problem for me as I didn't like water.Now that's all I drink.Hang in there.
    Mary
  • pattyebricker
    Options
    Hi Group. I am looking forward to this weekend. Going to do some shopping with my son at the outlet mall. Hope to get some walking in on the treadmill when we get back too. I am feeling good and this is day 6 of the One Meal A Day diet. It is working great for me. I eat whatever I want (within calorie range) and don't worry about food or calories the rest of the day. I really have stopped getting hungry until it I is close to my meal window time.

merrygrannie: yes I am exercising at Curves 3 days a week, walking alternate days and drinking water
    I live alone and find I cook a much better meal for myself if I know I am only going to cook one time each day. When eating several meals a day I tend to just snack and eat junk. I also found I adjusted the calories in my diary to fit what I wanted to eat. I had a cheat meal every day lol.
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Hi everyone.Pattyebricker I can understand fixing just 1 meal a day and i'm glad that's working for you.Good job on the exercising!Unfortunately it wouldn't work for me because I would get so hungry I'd eat everything I could find.Which is how I got overweight in the first place.
    I hope you and your son has/had a good time shopping.I went to a tractor show with my husband and was bored.I think he realizes he would enjoy himself more if he took some of his buddies.I know I have to go again Sat.because we're taking our grandsons with us.
    I hope I have a better day Sun.I went over just about everything.i exercised for 50 mins and got back within my calorie goal,barely.Here's wishing everyone a fantastic Sunday.
    Mary